Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
This has only just started off but it's already making me seriously consider picking the game up for myself. I'm a big fan of both roguelikes and lovecraft, and this seems to hit both of that at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I'm curious, do all the islands in the game always appear, and do they appear in the same location?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Lokapala posted:

West coast (that contains London and Venderbight) is fixed: it always has the same locations and ports and they are always in the same place. South coast, and all the corners of the map are fixed too. The rest is divided into 5 regions: they each contain a set of locations, but these can appear anywhere within the region, and the specific elements within the location can be placed differently. As far as I know, all possible regions are always on your map.

For example, right now we are "Near Home Waters", and Gaider's Morn is somewhere in this region. But it could be to the north from us, to the west, directly south or to the south-west.
If you look at the log in the lower left corner of the screen, amongst the entries there you get a description of the location when you enter it: this update contains a truncated description of the Snares (see screenshot with Crabcake island), which contains Rat&Cavies isle, and also a truncated description of the Corsair's Forest, which is where Gaider's Morn lies (first screenshot for December, 13).

Speaking of which, Black Wombat, maybe there's a way to incorporate the regions' descriptions into our captain's journal?

So the game map is divided into several big pieces, and locations within each piece are randomized each time? That seems like a nice compromise.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

RickVoid posted:

Then put off taking the deal until or unless we actually have a need for the supplies.

This seems like the safest option

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

A minor question: Why exactly is it referred to as the 'zee' in this game, and not the sea? Is it just the developer's way of representing an accent?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

my dad posted:

The answer is the Dutch.

Oh those wacky Dutch, what will they do next?

Coolguye posted:

The funniest thing about the Z bullshit is that the lore even acknowledges that it's a load of bullshit. http://www.failbettergames.com/z/

That was an absolute delight to read. Love when a game company can poke fun at themselves like that. :allears: thanks for linking it!

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

The option for entering the ice castle mentioned you shouldn't do it without good reason; Is that something that's related to a quest we can pick up at any point?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

All of these terrible and horrific names for places. Why can't we ever go to a place that's called The Land of Sunshine and Happiness? :v:

There actually are places in the Neath where you can access the surface world, and I believe one of the endings in this game involves you moving to the surface world. Ironically, an actual land of sunshine would probably be one of the most unpleasant and dangerous places in the whole game, as sunlight is almost universally fatal to things from the Neath; or at least the strange reality-warped parts. People who've come back to life die again, substances like Prisoner's Honey revert to mundane counterparts, Glim just melts away, animals loose their abilities to speak and reason, etc. Why that is, is a rather large spoiler for the lore of the game.

I've not picked this game up for myself yet, but it has gotten me into Fallen London, and I'm enjoying the experience thoroughly. I've also been reading the wiki and learning about the lore quite a bit. I'll be grabbing the game as soon as I have some more funding, but in the mean time I could try to write up a lore post on that if anyone's interested (And if Cap'n Petra is okay with it, obviously)

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Lokapala posted:

I would love to see if it's possible to write a single concise lore post and not make things even more confusing than they already are.

Well there's always going to be some degree of confusion and mystery to the setting. Most of the game's charm relies on the strange setting and the mystery and quirks you find in it. It's definitely possible to straighten out at least some of the facts about the setting though.

JcDent posted:

I hope it's not something stupid like "this is all a dream" or something :( And the references to the Great Game, I thought it means that there is some sort of communication between surface and Neath. Why is it called Neath, anyway? Because it's under-neath?

The Neath definitely isn't a dream, unless the developers have been playing a very long joke on the players, and has a history stretching back several thousand years, if not longer. There is a (somewhat) logical reason for why reality is so topsy turvy down here. As for The Great Game, that's an umbrella term to refer to all the espionage, assassinations, sabotage, and general political backstabbing that various powers in the Neath get up to. Players of the Game include people like the Empress, the Duchess, the Masters of the Bazaar, various Crimelords, oh, and one very affluent cheesemonger. Yes, really.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

nweismuller posted:

Don't forget various Surface powers! Both the Russians and the Dutch are definitely elbows-deep in the Great Game in London, and I have no doubt others are as well.

Ah yes! I imagine it must be a very, ahem, 'unique' experience to be a normal surface-world citizen who's assigned to go to below and spy on the Neath.

Anticheese posted:

It even has its own (fictional) patron saint!

Really? I know of a couple of saints mentioned in fallen london, but they're all related to the Mr Eaten :gonk: sidequest

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

JcDent posted:

Well, it's a relief. Can't wait to hear about the Empress and such.

Is there an official name for the sum of the world building in Fallen London, Echo Bazaar (I asume it was a precursor, yes?) and Sunless Sea? Neath-verse, etc.?

I love worldbuilding to the point were it makes me a lovely writer, so the game is top notch for me. Everything is so new, fresh and exciting. Even the countries with names I can't pronounce!

I wonder how boner inducing is Sunless Sea to long time Londoners. I mean, before that, you only read about those places, and now you can go there.

And unlike Zeno Clash 2, the secrets revealed don't reveal disappointment.

Does the Empress herself actually make an appearance in Sunless Sea? I'm sure she gets mentioned, but is she someone you can actually meet while you're in London? As for the name, if I remember correctly, Echo bazaar was the original name for Fallen London before they changed it. As for the name of the whole setting itself, and all it's included games, I think it's just collectively referred to as "The Neath"

Speaking of the Bazaar though, Black Wombat, is it cool with you if I (Or some other player) writes up a lore post for it, since some people here seemed to show interest? I'd spoiler tag it, obviously, but it would still go rather deep into the setting's backstory. I dont' think any of it would relate immediately to Sunless Sea itself though.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Neopie posted:

Question! What's the correspondence?

I've started playing Sunless Sea, but I still haven't run across that answer.

There's a lot of mystery and confusion about what the correspondence is, even in the game itself. What we do know is that it's a method of writing, and possibly also communication, between extremely powerful, eldritch beings. They exist on a higher level of existence than humans, possibly(probably?) in higher dimensions as well. Consequently, learning too much about it or attempting to read it can have very negative side effects for things like humans.

TL;DR imagine trying to learn how to read and write Spanish, but saying "¿Qué pasa?" sets your eyeballs on fire. :v:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

The text in Visage is particularly creepy in my opinion. The way it keeps saying stuff like "it's the way a locust ought to behave" makes me feel like wearing the mask somehow compels you to act in a certain way.

Also, is it possible to wear the bat mask? And if so, can you get a special game over from that, since they say 'bat always dies' ?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

something I've thought of: The prototype weapon was supposedly being tested on Aestival, which is the one island in the entire Underzee which seems to be exposed to sunlight. Does anyone want to bet that the weapons they tested managed to somehow blast a hole through the cavern roof?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Neruz posted:

What happens is exactly what it says.

Lose your mind gives you +100 terror, eat your crew causes you to eat every officer, human cargo (Tomb Colonists etc) and crewmember you have except the Sigil-Eaten Navigator, who presumably joins in.

But the important question is, does eating your crew give you extra supplies? :v:

The Lone Badger posted:

Was the Canal dug specifically to reach London? Or was it previously used to reach one of the earlier cities-that-fell?

i81icu812 posted:

Based on the name and exit point, how much construction was needed, really?

I assume the canal was built specifically for London, mainly because the previous cities are all so old that I doubt the surface world would have the technology or logistics to pull something like that off. To elaborate:

The Panama Canal is considered one of the most impressive and difficult construction projects ever built. It's one of the seven wonders of the modern world. The Panama Canal was built on the surface, and thus was mainly dug through dirt and stone. The Cumaean Canal had to dig downwards into the Unterzee, through solid bedrock. Add onto that, all the logistical nightmares of how to keep the thing from caving in, and how to provide air (And hopefully light) so deep underground. Sunless Sea's intro says that London is a mile below the surface. Even if that's literally just one mile, the overall distance is probably a lot more. As Neruz pointed out, you can see on the card art that the Canal looks like it's a huge chain of zigzagging water locks climbing up through rock. The Panama Canal has only six water locks total, three to get up, and three back down. The Cumean Canal is presumably more or less all locks, since you're traveling vertically. Also, based on the general time frame of the setting, the Cumaean Canal was probably built even earlier than the Panama canal was.

Oh and to top it all off, after you get through all that hell, add on the fact that they built one of the most heavily armed and fortified locations in the entire Neath, if not the whole world, at the end of it.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

So, this may seem like a stupid question, but if there is a loving road back to the surface, why does it matter that one of the islands in the neath has sunlight? Why is it so hard for people to colonize it? Couldn't you just put together a joint effort from the surface nations to send people down that won't wilt in the sunlight, and put something there?

It's presented as monumentally difficult because we as the players are seeing it from the perspective of a citizen of the Neath. Because, as has been brought up in the thread and as the island has already shown, sunlight is extremely lethal to things that originate in the Neath, and even to plain ol' humans who spend too long there. It'd be like building a house right in the middle of Chernobyl; Building it isn't the difficult part, it's that the land itself will kill you super dead. Wombat pointed out, it's totally possible for people from the Neath (Neath-ers? Neathlings? Is there a word for that?) to safely go ashore at night. The lore about sunlight in this game is actually really cool when you look into it!

If people from the surface world wanted to colonize it, it would in theory go off without a hitch. That'd just involve the logistical problems of how the hell would they get down to the island in the first place, and they would need to build some sort of crane or wench system so they could lower supplies down, and you know, get back up.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

Wait, what? I thought all the previous cities are still here, not flattened like a pancake under London.

Actually, you're half right! There are remnants of each of the previous cities scattered around in the Neath, though the original cities themselves are all destroyed by now. The Khanate is basically made up of everyone who didn't get killed by London arriving, and are understandably upset about having their spot in the limelight stolen from them. Polythreme was accidentally created by the ruler of one of the earlier cities (First, I think). The Salt Lions and Visage are both from a previous city from ancient Egypt. You can also find remains of the fourth city in Fallen London. One of the areas is called the Forgotten Quarter, which is essentially the crumbling ruins of a part of the fourth city that managed to avoid getting crushed when London landed on top of it. There's probably others that I don't remember

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

On one hand, Tomb Colonists are generally very cool people once you get past the whole living bundle of rags and decay bit. . . On the other hand, Petra does seem like the kind of person who's willing to be a dick in the name of science. . .

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Didn't the game say that the fathomking has connections to the dream world? Cause technically the real magician is still alive but trapped in the dream world, since it was a [insert horrifying creature] that came back instead of him, right?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Black Wombat posted:

'Alive' is a difficult word to apply to the situation. The Dreamsnake took over his body, and his body was eaten. It's possible his consciousness still exists somewhere, but bringing him back still requires crafting a body from nothing and then retrieving his consciousness (which is separate, one should note, from a soul) and inserting it back into the body.

Yeah, I suppose I phrased it slightly poorly. I certainly didn't mean to imply that he was just fine and dandy, he is for all intents and purposes dead to us folks in the Unterzee. However, I had been under the impression based on my experiences in Fallen London, than when you enter the dream world, you actually do enter there with your body and everything, and vanish from the waking world. After all, in FL, when you go insane and enter the Mirror Marshes, when you return to London your clothes are muddy and stained like you had actually been there. And when you ate the magician, it described him as tasting strange (And as you mentioned you didn't get any points of Peckish), which I took to mean that it wasn't actually, you know, human meat, but a Dreamsnake in human form.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

After you and the deviless left Palmerson, there was mention of some very nasty sounding things since she made her escape. I imagine returning her isn't exactly the best idea.

Marriage is a bit . .. extreme though. We already have one interest in our life and they've up and adopted us an orphan! I doubt Petra is the type to pop a marriage proposal so randomly either. sympathy is the safest choice here I feel

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Tetrakarn posted:

The best part about it is that the chance of failure is pretty low, the description is "A test of luck: How can you fail?" It's basically designed for you to keep on running the odds getting shiny trinkets until you do it one time too many and whoops there goes your soul.

Speaking of which, I am in need of a mentor, anyone willing to help? http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Tetrakarn

Which is exactly how I lost my soul actually! A Deviless kept asking for my soul, and eventually I lost it to her. Fortunately, I also gained oodles of jewels as payment. I eventually regained my soul.

One of my favorite stories in Fallen London about the soul trade is a random story card you find where you come across a deviless attempting to convince an urchin to give her his soul. If you convince the urchin to keep his soul, the Deviless thanks you for making your opinion clear, and then a few days later your house catches on fire

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I need more friends to help me deal with nightmares.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/deadmeat5150

I'm skirting the edge of level 8 and I don't want to know what happens if I tip over.

I've had all four of the bad things happen to me, and they're all really interesting! It's worth it to experience them all probably at least once, and hang around in the special areas they send you too for a while just to see the cards you can get. It's even how you unlock some new interesting options for your characters and a few sidequests!

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

The more you learn about Blemmigans, the more you realize that they're not just angry fungi or animals, they're more like very pointy little mushroom fairy. . . things. Some of them seem to just be feral animals that'll gladly munch on you, but some Londoners keep them as pets. And at least some of them are certainly sentient, and can even write and as we just saw in this update, even write and recite poetry. Blemmigans really are one of the best critters in Fallen London. :3: You go little poet dude.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Glazius posted:

I missed whatever the Scintillack did to the Curator.

Let's call this one Checkmate, in honor.

I'll toss in my vote for Checkmate as well

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

What happens if you put a Belmmigan ashore on Aestival? I'm guessing the sunlight would just shrivel it up :ohdear:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

ArchWizard posted:

What kind of key unlocks the door to revenge? A mon-key!

:golfclap: Well played. I'll toss my vote towards either the monkey, or fair deal, whichever's most profitable for us. Don't side with the adventuress, just because she's a filthy double crosser.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I believe you can see (Or at least hear about) more clay-folk if you visit Polythreme. If you do the comtessa case in Fallen London it's confirmed that there ARE clay women. Even if it was a REAL woman who was turned into clay. Other than that though, I think the only difference between the two is how they appear visually. After all, they're basically living mud sculptures; I'm sure they could look any way they please

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Neruz posted:

Yeah the description of Polythreme makes me think that living clay beings probably come in all shapes and sizes, including houses, giant underwater faces and possibly the island itself.

So there's no particular reason why there can't be clay women, though I would imagine they aren't really any different from clay men except visually.

To my understanding, literally everything on Polythreme is alive. everything. Including the food, water, clothes, and buildings. I believe the term "clay man" only applies to the actual humanoid entities made of clay though.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Neruz posted:

I don't know how far the 'livingness' goes (does it extend to the food and water? Possibly) but yeah definitely 'inanimate' stuff like stone and cloth is alive in Polythreme. Clay man does indeed refer specifically to clay men, but my point was with so many different forms of 'life' on Polythreme there's no particular reason why there can't be clay women.

e: Hell if a clay man felt like it he could probably re-sculpt himself into a clay woman.

Actually, it DOES extend to food and water! One of the quotes of Polythreme you can find somewhere said something along the lines of "The water I drank begged me to stop"

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Help the priests seems to be the reasonable solution. But I'd love if you showed off the other option in a bonus update too!

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Soooo uh, is a stone pig something that I should already be knowing about? Because it feels like either I'm missing out on something I should know, or you guys are being very very loose with the spoilers here.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

Something I love about Fallen London/Sunless Sea is that the devs are nice enough to tell you in no small words that trying to do things like going into Frostfound's core or losing your mind on Kingeater's Isle are terrible ideas that will probably get you killed-which only encourages players to want to do that even more just to see what happens.

It's good to help warn uninformed players away from potentially lethal or very difficult content. It also makes it clear it's very much YOUR fault when you go ahead and do it anyway because :getin:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

The game fascinates me, but mainly because of the story and the lore and the mystery of it all. As far as the actual gameplay goes, I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea. Part of me is tempted, but I think I might need to pass this game up to save my budget for other titles. For the moment, I'll rely on brave zailors like Wombat to show me more of the zee

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I'd like to take a moment to point everyone in the direction of the sunless sea OST which is available for free listening on bandcamp. I've only recently discovered it myself and I'm hooked already. If you're someone like me, who hasn't actually played the game and is relying on this LP, playing one of the tracks while you read some of the updates can be pretty chilling.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Is this something that could really be Petra's last act? Is this tree spider thing that dangerous even after how powerful the ship's become?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Interesting. I always thought of the Bazaar as Stone's father and the Sun as the mother.

Suffice to say, the Bazaar somehow helped spawn the mountain. Trying to apply traditional genders to literal astral god beings would be a tad silly

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Petra consumed a couple of drops of red honey on the monkey islands, and that wasn't so bad. It seems like it's related to experiencing another's memories, including the emotions associated with those memories. Or at least that's what happened when we used it.

That is an extremely rare case of red honey being put to good use, and not at all what you'll normally see with it. It's entirely possible to enter someone else's memories while they're still alive, and they have no say in the matter. It's at least implied, if not outright stated at some points, that having your memories and mind ruffled through by someone else is an extremely painful and traumatic experience. Having it happen multiple times is enough to drive someone insane

ousire fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 14, 2015

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Neruz posted:

Or ousire could just explain the whole thing I guess.

apologies, I didnt' see a note to not mention the honey. Spoiler'd now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

nweismuller posted:

I think the 'prisoners' in question might be the Fingerkings, who are normally sealed in Parabola (and not fans of being sealed there!), given that what Prisoner's Honey does is send you to Parabola bodily.

What exactly ARE the fingerkings? Has that been addressed in this LP?

• Locked thread