Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mister Macys posted:

Cheeky Meats™
Lip Smacks/Smackers™ (when heated and the gelatine melts)

Best I got. :shrug:

Noggin, marketed toward children. Give it an animal skeleton mascot, and form the shape of the mascot into the loaf so each slice shows an image of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"That's using your Noggin'!"™

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mister Macys posted:

Cheeky Meats™
Lip Smacks/Smackers™ (when heated and the gelatine melts)

Best I got. :shrug:

I want a spicy barbeque Cheeky Meat sarnie. Steak fries on the side to sop up drippings.

Wait. It should be Cheeky Meat for beef, Squeaky Meat for pork.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 17, 2015

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Just made chicken livers for the first time, and aside from some general confusion as to what parts were edible and struggling to get them all completely clean, this is my new go to. Literally $1 for 20 oz at kroger, and cooking them was a breeze

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

KettleWL posted:

Just made chicken livers for the first time, and aside from some general confusion as to what parts were edible and struggling to get them all completely clean, this is my new go to. Literally $1 for 20 oz at kroger, and cooking them was a breeze

Just had some tonight too, rolled in flour and quickly pan fried. I never tire of them.

Easy to clean, cooks super quickly, tasty, cheap, the only thing to be aware of is to favor good quality since the liver tends to contain all the nasty shits fed/injected to animals, before they could process them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Move to the midwest. I can buy full pork loins for $2 a pound most weeks.

Cut off some tenderloin for roasting later, slice up the rest into butterfly chops and call it a day.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Stock is turning into A Thing.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/bone-broth-is-hot-ham-water-1693220333/+robharvilla

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I love the Serious Eats twitter bot that links to...

https://twitter.com/stockstickler

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

OctoberBlues posted:

I love the Serious Eats twitter bot that links to...

https://twitter.com/stockstickler

Well, I read a few of the tweets that bot responded to, and now my eyes are dizzy from all the rolling they did.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

In the US maybe, it never stopped being a thing in the rest of the world.

e: but is it is cheap(er than the rest of the menu) and served with solid food unlike the current foodie fad mentioned here.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 4, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To me "bone broth" was always when you made stock but waited too long so the bones turned to mush and you had to strain it. And even after you strained it, it was still sorta gritty and gross. Basically, a polite way of describing stock that got hosed up.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I love chicken livers but using them as catfish bait is kinda killing my desire to eat them as food. Dealing with a tub of livers that has been sitting in the sun all day is super gross and is making me wary of all livers.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

I love chicken livers but using them as catfish bait is kinda killing my desire to eat them as food. Dealing with a tub of livers that has been sitting in the sun all day is super gross and is making me wary of all livers.

You SHOULD be able to compartmentalize the two different uses. If you can't, that's cool, but I'd hope you'd not want to use warm livers for cooking.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drifter posted:

You SHOULD be able to compartmentalize the two different uses. If you can't, that's cool, but I'd hope you'd not want to use warm livers for cooking.

he's dry aging them

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I know very little about chicken livers, and even less about catfish, but I feel like there are things you could use to catch catfish that you don't also want to eat. Or you might have to decide if you prefer catfish over =hicken livers (it seems you do), because there can be only one....

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

he's dry aging them
There's not much I could imagine tasting like "shoe", but that's certainly one of them.

KettleWL posted:

I know very little about chicken livers, and even less about catfish, but I feel like there are things you could use to catch catfish that you don't also want to eat. Or you might have to decide if you prefer catfish over =hicken livers (it seems you do), because there can be only one....

Well, I mean, it's not like you're going to be cutting open the fish's stomach and making liver and onions with the contents.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Yea, but the smell of slightly off liver does stay with you. We used to give our old dog pills hidden in liver wurst and a similar thing happened.

I still eat both but there is a level of mistrust that didn't used to be there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The smell of powerbait doesn't turn me off from eating trout. Just think about the good that comes from sun soaked liver.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I just bought an 8-pound pork shoulder at BJ's for $10. Brisket's up to $6.50 a pound now, though. Ugh.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Misogynist posted:

I just bought an 8-pound pork shoulder at BJ's for $10. Brisket's up to $6.50 a pound now, though. Ugh.

That's loving brutal. Even Sysco and RD are charging 4 bucks at least for angus or choice though. So it isn't just you getting hosed.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Beef tongue was $5.95/pound today at the Asian market :homebrew:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Is it weird I prefer chuck over brisket for most relevant applications, especially now that it's way cheaper?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Republicans posted:

Is it weird I prefer chuck over brisket for most relevant applications, especially now that it's way cheaper?
Chuck is way underrated nowadays. Flat iron steaks are amazing for a quick smoke if you've got something small enough where quick smokes are actually worthwhile. My 22" WSM takes too drat long to heat up to make it worth it unless I've got other things going. Smokes nicely at either 225 or 350, though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I got beef heart today for $0.69/lb!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Sweetbreads are 45 cents a lbs at my local mart... I am so very tempted.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This was the most misleading food name when I was a child.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sweetbreads own. Bread and fry em. They're what chicken nuggets wish they were.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm guessing it's pork or beef (or pancreas and not thymus). No way veal sweetbreads are that cheap.

Also there's a lot of work involved to prepare them but yeah if you bread them they are delicious.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I could eat liver pate on crackers all fuckin' day

Stupid chicken restaurant by my work has it on the all-you-can-eat family style dinner, I have them bring out like 6 plates of that poo poo.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

I could eat liver pate on crackers all fuckin' day

Stupid chicken restaurant by my work has it on the all-you-can-eat family style dinner, I have them bring out like 6 plates of that poo poo.

If you mix chicken liver, butter, cream, white wine, cognac, salt and pepper, you can literally make what is sold as foie gras in many stores. This is delicious, ten times cheaper and less controversial.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What's the recommended ratio of white wine to cognac? I rarely cook with alcohols so I'm never really sure about flavors when they reduce. Because I would loving make that poo poo all day?

I could figure it out on my own, but it'd be nice to start from somewhere.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ingredients

1/2 pound chicken livers, well-trimmed
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small garlic clove, smashed and peeled
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
Kosher salt
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoons Cognac or Scotch whisky
Freshly ground pepper
Toasted baguette slices, for serving

In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken livers, onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the livers are barely pink inside, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Discard the bay leaf. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the livers, onion and garlic to a food processor; process until coarsely pureed. With the machine on, add the butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, until incorporated. Add the Cognac, season with salt and pepper and process until completely smooth. Scrape the pâté into 2 or 3 large ramekins. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pâté and refrigerate until firm. Serve chilled.

Make Ahead
The pâté can be covered with a thin layer of melted butter, then wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 2 months.

Someone left a bottle of Hennesey at my house (don't ask why) and that's what I've been using it for.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

What's the recommended ratio of white wine to cognac? I rarely cook with alcohols so I'm never really sure about flavors when they reduce. Because I would loving make that poo poo all day?

I could figure it out on my own, but it'd be nice to start from somewhere.

I would use 250g of liver, 125g of butter, a glass of sweet white wine, a bit of thick cream, a table spoon of cognac.

Very slightly cook the livers in wine, then remove them from the wine and mix with cognac, cream and soft butter. Put in the fridge.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Thanks, I'll do both of those and play with it.

Doesn't the cognac overpower any flavors from the wine?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

Thanks, I'll do both of those and play with it.

Doesn't the cognac overpower any flavors from the wine?

Yeah and anyway I wasn't clear in my first post but you are not mixing with the wine, you only cook in it. You could probably do without it too.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
My local sams club had pork loin for 1.70 a pound. That makes it cheaper to buy and grind up for sausage than buying the cheapest, most disgusting sausage available. I live in Virginia though so maybe it's the proximity to North Carolina ?

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Rigel posted:

My local sams club had pork loin for 1.70 a pound. That makes it cheaper to buy and grind up for sausage than buying the cheapest, most disgusting sausage available. I live in Virginia though so maybe it's the proximity to North Carolina ?

Nah, I got it for 1.88/ pound in Indiana.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Rigel posted:

Why would you use one of the leanest cuts on the pig for something like sausage?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

feelz good man posted:

Why would you use one of the leanest cuts on the pig for something like sausage?

Low fat sausage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yeah pork butt should be even cheaper and actually makes good sausage.

• Locked thread