Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
We mixed in a good dollop of bacon grease because that's what we had for field expedient sausage. I need to find a real butcher around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I used to be spooked by the idea of chicken livers until someone introduced me to rumaki. Now I like many kinds of organ meat, but rumaki was my gateway drug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumaki

I've converted a few people with this. If you like organ meats and are living with someone who is all, "ewww, livers, yuck!", make rumaki. (Same goes for lengua tacos. Just don't tell 'em what "lengua" means, and you're good.)

I am totally trying that faux foie-gras recipe, when I can afford cognac.

On that note: how do I get over my inherent feeling of "uh, that's kinda icky" when it comes to tripe? I think maybe if I'd tried it BEFORE seeing it raw in the Asian store I shop at, I could deal with it. But that honeycomb look just freaks out some part of my hindbrain. Should I just sack up and try it in pho?

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 20, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I used to be spooked by the idea of chicken livers until someone introduced me to rumaki. Now I like many kinds of organ meat, but rumaki was my gateway drug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumaki

I've converted a few people with this. If you like organ meats and are living with someone who is all, "ewww, livers, yuck!", make rumaki. (Same goes for lengua tacos. Just don't tell 'em what "lengua" means, and you're good.)

On that note: how do I get over my inherent feeling of "uh, that's kinda icky" when it comes to tripe? I think maybe if I'd tried it BEFORE seeing it raw in the Asian store I shop at, I could deal with it. But that honeycomb look just freaks out some part of my hindbrain. Should I just sack up and try it in pho?

Tripe tastes pretty great. Suck it up and cook it one day, then eat it the next to give your brain some time to forget about it when it was raw.

Rumaki looks great, but it kinda feels like overkill. Like you're trying to cover up the taste of green peppers by eating it with ice cream.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I never thought tripe tasted much like anything but I only ever had it in pho when it's mixed in with half a dozen other animal parts. The texture is a bit off-putting, though.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Tripe is a noodle made out of meat and it is wonderful. Lately, I've been on a trippa alla romagna kick and it is wonderful.

I know I'm late on the Sweetbreads but I'm on time with the tripe! Just wrap the sweetbreads in tripe and make Kokoretsi. It is a good idea.

I always end up preparing my tripe the "European" way and it is good but lacks that essential "crunch" that I really love in asian tripe. Is it just pig vs. beef/lamb or is there something with the preparation? Not the honeycomb tripe, I think that is always going to be a little softer, but the more billowy tripe (like you get in pho). When I cook that at home it is an overcooked noodle and I want al dente.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I made a batch last week and it was delicious. Consistency of pâté but totally tastes like ghetto foie gras. The cognac really makes a huge difference.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Shbobdb posted:

Tripe is a noodle made out of meat and it is wonderful. Lately, I've been on a trippa alla romagna kick and it is wonderful.
Okay, this sounds good. I can get behind meat noodles.

quote:

I always end up preparing my tripe the "European" way and it is good but lacks that essential "crunch" that I really love in asian tripe.

Aaaand this sounds bad. I don't want meat with a crunch. Pray tell, what is the European way?

fake edit: the gently caress? I trust Mario, but is this really a savory dish made of guts made with vanilla extract?
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/roman-style-tripe-trippa-alla-romana-recipe.html

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Made that one day for the wife. It's loving delicious. The vanilla is so subtle with just the one tap it's actually very good and works well,with the tomato sauce. Just think of Moorish style dishes with the nutmeg and cinnamon and whatnot an dots the same thing.

Make it. Eat it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I actually love the texture of tripe, either limp and chewy in Pho or hot and crispy from a pan. Though I will have to agree with the poster above that Pho is a pretty bad example of tripe because it's always so flavorless in it for some reason.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Aaaand this sounds bad. I don't want meat with a crunch. Pray tell, what is the European way?

What Mario tells you to do: simmer the ever loving gently caress out of it. Forever.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I think it might be an Asian thing to really enjoy a crunchy or toothsome texture in meats. See: tendon, chicken foot cartilage, tripe, kbbq, etc.

I loooove crunching on a pile of tendon either in pho or even by itself, cold, with hot chili sauce. Mmmmm.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

It just reminds me of when I tried raw geoduck and my penis recoiled in terror at the first bite.

The tendon I've had in pho has been soft and chewy, though.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Casu Marzu posted:

crunchy or toothsome texture in meats

This is exactly the opposite of what I want out of my meat, unless we're talking something fried- then it can be crispy and crunchy.

Nothing worse than unexpectedly biting into a big chunk of fat or tendon while enjoying some tasty animal flesh! That's like finding a rock mixed in with your beans or something...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:swoon: I love crunching on the cartilage ends of the chicken wings and legs and when I'm browning up chuck or something for stew, I love chewing on the browned, but not tender hunks of meat.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Prickly pears. They're weird enough to be marketable as a "super food," particularly given how barely-palatable they usually are in their natural state. But god drat to they make nice jelly and syrup.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

VideoTapir posted:

Prickly pears. They're weird enough to be marketable as a "super food," particularly given how barely-palatable they usually are in their natural state. But god drat to they make nice jelly and syrup.

Really? I think they taste pretty good as-is but not good enough to deal with the errant spines I always seem to get pricked with when working with them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I collect them all the time from the roads around here. They are delicious.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I find them and have collected them multiple times. I have infused them in vodka, made jelly, put them in fruit salads and can't justify going the 3 miles to harvest more this season. Are my prickly pears broken or am I??

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I'm late to the party, but why is that article saying "bone broth" is a gimmick? I have been making stock forever and maybe my families method is hosed up but we use bones for all our stocks. I know there are vegetable stocks out there, but why would literal actual stock be something to laugh at? Unless you aren't adding seasoning or other items to it to make an actual broth,

also I am dumb and may have misread that.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Secret Spoon posted:

I'm late to the party, but why is that article saying "bone broth" is a gimmick? I have been making stock forever and maybe my families method is hosed up but we use bones for all our stocks. I know there are vegetable stocks out there, but why would literal actual stock be something to laugh at? Unless you aren't adding seasoning or other items to it to make an actual broth,

I think the article was criticizing the foodie culture turning it into an overpriced fad. It's not a gimmick and pretty much a staple of cooking

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I always want to do this. Stupid question, but how can you tell if they are ripe and do they ripen after harvest?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I too love to look trendy sipping $8 cups of hot meat water

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Secret Spoon posted:

Bone Broth is stock, that's the point. It's stock that's turned into broth, had a Paleo sticker slapped on it and sold for dumb amounts of money. There's nothing special about it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shbobdb posted:

I always want to do this. Stupid question, but how can you tell if they are ripe and do they ripen after harvest?

First off wear gloves the entire time, second off if they are reddish purple and slightly soft, they are good to go. The ones around here usually drop their spines when they are ripe as well. But be on he safe side and wear some loving thick rear end leather gloves.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I'm loosely acquainted with a guy who runs an awesome barbeque place. A few months ago he impulse-bought a bunch of lamb necks, which are amazing and also still pretty cheap. The only downside is that you usually have to special order them from butchers.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Asian grocer by me has turkey fries, any suggested recipes?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Only time I've ever made/had them I just breaded and deep fried them. I'm not a huge fan because testicles are nature's Chicken McNugget. They have the same taste and texture as liquified chicken mess. That's actually probably where we got the inspiration. But had to used better quality meat that has been more processed. And make it chicken, because there are more of them.

Testicles: the whitest of meats.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Shbobdb posted:

Only time I've ever made/had them I just breaded and deep fried them. I'm not a huge fan because testicles are nature's Chicken McNugget. They have the same taste and texture as liquified chicken mess. That's actually probably where we got the inspiration. But had to used better quality meat that has been more processed. And make it chicken, because there are more of them.

Testicles: the whitest of meats.

I'll happily eat or try stuff made from tongue, cheek, liver, heart, viscera...but testicles still make me physically uncomfortable to imagine eating :stonk:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Daeren posted:

I'll happily eat or try stuff made from tongue, cheek, liver, heart, viscera...but testicles still make me physically uncomfortable to imagine eating :stonk:

Me too. Thats kinda why I was hoping for some sort of elevatory recipe.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's peasant food. There is a reason why a lot of peasant food is breaded and deep fried. That makes anything taste good.

One of the tragedies of the American genocide is that we don't have more crazy banging recipes for our country's native fauna. I'd say look to Asia but turkey just doesn't have a market share there. When I was in grad school I let some buddies of mine borrow my brewing setup to fry a Thanksgiving turkey in mostly duck fat (cut with some canola oil because we were grad students and even with the gutter oil discount pure duck fat was too expensive) and everybody just wondered why Americans like turkey so much. Why not eat duck?

So rock this American cuisine in American style. Fry the poo poo out of it and love it for what it is. Add some remoulada on the side and call it a pinxtos or something if you want to made it transcendent.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

and everybody just wondered why Americans like turkey so much

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've ever met anybody (in America) who professed to love turkey. The only time I really see it at all is on holidays - which is more a function of tradition (Thanksgiving) and the fact that a turkey is both cheap and one bird is big enough to feed a large family. Or, as a substitute for other, better meats (turkey burgers, turkey bacon, etc.) or as a sandwich meat (where turkey really shines). Regardless, it's a boring bird that most people can't cook without drying the poo poo out of.

Americans *do* love Wild Turkey 101, which is a completely understandable thing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Wild Turkey 101 is fantastic.

And me, I'm the guy who loves turkey. After Thanksgiving, I used to buy several birds on discount and eat them over the next few months. The dryness is a vehicle and an excuse for gravy. The trick is to make proper gravy with a real roux.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I had a turkey mole in Mexico and it was one of the best things I've ever had.

Then again, an old shoe covered in that mole would have been amazing as well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I love turkey! Are you kidding me? I'd eat turkey every drat day if I could. I love it so much I'm raising some at work right now for processing.

It's just that a lot of people gently caress up the holiday turkey and that's a shame. A delicious animal DIED and you're gonna overcook the poo poo out of it. Either cook it right or cremate it completely, jeeze.

Turkey eggs are also great. So big and buttery.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 7, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

rj54x posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've ever met anybody (in America) who professed to love turkey. The only time I really see it at all is on holidays
<snip>
it's a boring bird that most people can't cook without drying the poo poo out of.

You've hit upon the reason WHY you haven't ever met anyone who professed to love turkey. The only time people eat fresh turkey is on the holidays, which means they never get practice cooking it. Plus, this is just a guess, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if the pop-up timers that are included with turkeys are tuned a little high for the sake of lowest-common-denominator food safety, resulting in overcooking.

I love turkey that's cooked properly. The flavor of the meat is so nice, as long as the meat is still juicy and not dried to hell. I'm also a big fan of deli turkey; just a plain old turkey & swiss is my default sandwich.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Don't forget people often eat way too loving much of it in a short period of time so it takes a whole year for the idea of eating more turkey to sound like a good idea.

I make one about every three months or so, sometimes just as an excuse to make turkey and dumplings. I loooooove turkey and dumplings.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

A turkey burger with swiss is twice as good as a traditional beef hamburger with american cheese. :colbert:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

If I can get 80/20 ground turkey I might believe you.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

If I can get 80/20 ground turkey I might believe you.

Grind it yourself. 80% turkey 20% pork fat back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Turkey leg sous vide. *mic drop *

• Locked thread