Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just read Volume 7 and that stretch was amazing. :munch:

For those who haven't read it; It starts with a desk toy in a random office. Those little Newtons balls in a row? One gets sliced free and goes flying out the window due to a gunfight on the street below. Through a Rube Goldbergian series of events it culminates in Zap and Zed, trapped in a Mafia Don's safe with a starving Demon Beast, and desperately holding a cracked binary-agent bomb so it doesn't vaporize everything within ten meters of it. (I haven't spoiled anything either, the story starts in the safe and rewinds back.)

I think my favorite part of that sequence is how foreshadowed it was, every element of the machine shows up or is highlighted in different areas of the city as they go about the initial adventure, and all just comes together at the end.

Also 3 is close enough to many that I'm letting it stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I read the first volume and some of the second last niight, and this is pretty good. Klaus' line that K.K. is stronger than almost anyone but she's still a woman and so should ask him for help was bad, though. Like I get that Klaus is all about protecting others, but come on.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Volume 1 is a serviceable introduction to the world but I think the main story in it is the weakest of the series. The stuff in 2 is what really sold me on the comic and led me to buying the entire rest of the run in one go.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
After reading all 7 volumes, I am now convinced that the blood blockade battlefront anime is just going to be Leo and Zap screaming in terror for 30 minutes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

Also 3 is close enough to many that I'm letting it stick.

I have to disagree, just because the way you've written the first paragraph makes it sound like it happened a fair while ago and they built a new city afterwards on the ruins over a long stretch of time, rather than NYC just up and vanishing overnight a mere three years ago with Jerusalem's Lot appearing in its place.

Nalin posted:

After reading all 7 volumes, I am now convinced that the blood blockade battlefront anime is just going to be Leo and Zap screaming in terror for 30 minutes.

I really hope Klaus' game of Prosfair gets an episode :allears:.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really hope Klaus' game of Prosfair gets an episode :allears:.

I want them to keep all the nonsense words but also highlight them with huge titlecards everytime he moves the Grey Genofex into Time Phase 7 or whatever.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Did volume 3 just recently go out of print or has it been that way for a while? I can't find it at any physical stores and Amazon has it on back order.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

Did volume 3 just recently go out of print or has it been that way for a while? I can't find it at any physical stores and Amazon has it on back order.

I bought it the other day but went through one of the other sellers on Amazon. Got 1-3 and they arrived yesterday. Volume 1 was pretty funny, I liked the quick little visual gags like Zap's face smashed into the delivery bike windshield and the various OH poo poo expressions.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nalin posted:

I've only read the first two and am waiting on the remaining ones to be delivered, but that sounds about accurate and perfectly entertaining.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 5, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

My plan is working, and now Nightow owes me all the money I was promised.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd say you could just skip volume 3 but it honestly has some of the best stories in it so I refuse to.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I found volume 3 through the Dark Horse site, in case anybody else needs a cheaper new copy than Amazon's third party offers (ignoring the sus $3 copies). Now volume 4 won't be taunting me for much longer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched the trailer for this show and it's really rad looking. Gonna keep my eye out for it whenever it hits Spring.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beef Waifu posted:

I watched the trailer for this show and it's really rad looking. Gonna keep my eye out for it whenever it hits Spring.

Give the manga a look too, the individual volumes are pretty cheap.

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
That signature Yutapon animation is nothing short of :magical:. Really looking forward to watching this.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give the manga a look too, the individual volumes are pretty cheap.
How's Nightow's art and pacing this time around? I enjoyed Trigun a fair bit but recall occasionally struggling to identify what exactly I was looking at, and everything post-Wolfwood felt kinda dragged out.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

How's Nightow's art and pacing this time around? I enjoyed Trigun a fair bit but recall occasionally struggling to identify what exactly I was looking at, and everything post-Wolfwood felt kinda dragged out.

The action scenes can run into that a lot, where the flow of the panels feels off or weird or the detail in the tankobon printing is hard to parse because its so small, but the art itself fantastic and the spreads are some of the most gorgeous i've seen in a comic to date.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Gotta thank you Sharkopath I probably wouldn't have bothered reading this unless you made the thread, I've loved the poo poo out of the 7 volumes so far.

Looking forward to a lot of these scenes being animated with what appears to be an actual budget based off the PV

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd say the problem with action scenes isn't universal though, some are really clear and they look great.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Gotta thank you Sharkopath I probably wouldn't have bothered reading this unless you made the thread, I've loved the poo poo out of the 7 volumes so far.

Looking forward to a lot of these scenes being animated with what appears to be an actual budget based off the PV

I was really surprised by how much I ended up liking it, I bought the first couple volumes just because it sounded like it might be cool and also ahah Zed is legit just that fishdude from hellboy so I wanted to see what it was for myself.

It's legitimately a really great comic with a lot of heart, good ideas, interesting stories and good art though. Definitely give it a shot if the anime pvs spiked your interest.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Nat posted:

That signature Yutapon animation is nothing short of :magical:. Really looking forward to watching this.

Yutapon getting ready to contribute his 5 cuts a year

Nat
Apr 3, 2012

aers posted:

Yutapon getting ready to contribute his 5 cuts a year

He's too busy releasing art books with nothing but shirtless men. And I'll buy the next one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Alright. I'll probably give the anime a watch then switch the manga if it turns out I dig it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

It gets a bit busy at times, yes.

The manga volumes contain several individual stories in each rather than chapters of a single continuous adventure, so there's no real pacing issues in that regard. Most revolve around Leonard and/or Zap, but all the other Libra members get at least one story following them across the volumes released so far.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My favorite character is Doug Hammer, who is just Venom/Carnage in the body of a nice guy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I ordered the first volume, I have high hopes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think I said it earlier this page even but phonepost, 1 is a good enough introduction but most of it is taken up by 1 long story that isn't anywhere near as inventive as the series gets, 2 and 3 are absolutely incredible in comparison. Not that it isn't worth reading, the art is still fantastic, but most of my hype comes from what happens in later segments.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
This looks like it could be interesting, but it's seriously surprising that there isn't a digital version of the manga available anywhere, legal or not, of even a single PAGE in the year of our lord 2015. Not even a preview page. Nobody even bothered to translate it before it was licensed. I'd want to read at least a few chapters, before putting in the effort to get a physical copy and would honestly rather have the whole thing in digital if I'm gunna buy it. Hell, you can't even find people talking about it on google, it's practically unknown, which is surprising for a manga by the Trigun guy.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 22, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wolpertinger posted:

This looks like it could be interesting, but it's seriously surprising that there isn't a digital version of the manga available anywhere, legal or not, of even a single PAGE in the year of our lord 2015. Not even a preview page. Nobody even bothered to translate it before it was licensed. I'd want to read at least a few chapters, before putting in the effort to get a physical copy and would honestly rather have the whole thing in digital if I'm gunna buy it. Hell, you can't even find people talking about it on google, it's practically unknown, which is surprising for a manga by the Trigun guy.

I think you can preview pages on the amazon page for each book, and you definitely can for the 1st.

It's sad not every comic is transitioning to the digital format but as is BBB is totally worth getting.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You should trust me, because I'm your good friend.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nah, lots of manga don't get uploaded online, popular author or not (like Watsuki's Embalming, whose scanlations suddenly just stopped). You just don't notice unless you actively look for certain manga that sound interesting only to find out there's no translation. Dark Horse already having translated BBB surprised me though, but it's good to know.

EDIT: Nevermind about Embalming, apparently that started up again a while ago. No one was working on it for a year though.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I think you can preview pages on the amazon page for each book, and you definitely can for the 1st.

It's sad not every comic is transitioning to the digital format but as is BBB is totally worth getting.

Huh, you're right about Amazon. Weird, I just looked there and the page I got to from google didn't have it as an option.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Its japanese title is Kekkai Sensen. You gotta remember scanlators are often colossal spergs demanding translation instead of localization :japan:.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Think it's alright holding off until the anime, or should I check out the manga first.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

First episode airs in 20 hours, I'm getting very excited to see how it turns out.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

First episode airs in 20 hours, I'm getting very excited to see how it turns out.

As usual, Funimation doesn't even have the show page up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this show is cool

http://a.pomf.se/eqgwbp.webm

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That was an exceedingly good first episode.

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
That entire last minute was full of delicious animation. The slow-mo was pure :circlefap:. The episode itself had a nice setup to the world, or city rather since this all takes place in New York? And the character designs are refreshing, mostly Leo's. Really looking forward to seeing what happens next, although I might end up getting the manga soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Its only fault is that it could have been more colorful, but that is an amazing introductory episode. Perfect show for the Durarara hiatus.

• Locked thread