Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Also in the realm of possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never got around to watching the last couple of episodes before it went on a break. :/

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I n bet got around to watching the last couple of episodes before it went on a break. :/

They're not worth watching...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

everythingWasBees posted:

They're not worth watching...

Yeah, you can stop at the halfway mark of Z's Longest Day - Part 2 once they've stopped the Blood Breed. There's one more adapted story afterwards, but the writer takes a hatchet to it for more exposition about the great and powerful Casters.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Srice posted:

The finale has been scheduled for October 3rd.
thank god. i have no interest in reading the manga so im glad its not cancelled

Sakurazuka posted:

I never got around to watching the last couple of episodes before it went on a break. :/
the last episode (paint it black) is excellent and extremely nightowish

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the B/W flashback was genuinely good, and a pretty important articulation of the show's emotional core. Also, a neat take on Hamlet. It just didn't have as many explosions as your average episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, the B/W flashback was genuinely good, and a pretty important articulation of the show's emotional core. Also, a neat take on Hamlet. It just didn't have as many explosions as your average episode.

The problem is that BBB doesn't have an emotional core, all that stuff has just been duct-taped on to a very basic monster-of-the-week series. Stopping to navel-gaze just means you're missing all the wierd poo poo running around the city.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm so glad that they went to the trouble of killing all traces of momentum before they air the finale.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm hype for more BBB and if you aren't I feel bad for you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is that BBB doesn't have an emotional core, all that stuff has just been duct-taped on to a very basic monster-of-the-week series. Stopping to navel-gaze just means you're missing all the wierd poo poo running around the city.

You missed stuff like the Prosfair and Nej episodes, then? B/W may be anime-exclusive, but it's building off the core of Nightow's Christian beliefs and the themes of family in its various forms. It's tying the story together more tightly, but the concepts it's bringing aren't alien to the original work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's pretty hard to be when we've already seen what happens if an adapted story isn't involved. Especially when we're at a climax that involves only one of the actual main cast.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yea, we get Paint It Black, which owned? There were a few spots where the anime original stuff dragged and didn't work or fit well, but it was never the kind of show ruining stuff people made it out to be, and they've more than made up for it at this point.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Quit being babies this show was excellent overall. I can't wait to wrap it up

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Devil Tesla posted:

I don't think the last episode is gonna have much to do with Blood Blockade Battlefront.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

I don't think the last episode is gonna have much to do with Blood Blockade Battlefront.

Yeah pretty much this. Care to guess how little screentime Libra's gonna get compared to Black?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mourn Lunge, Launch, Lunch too but the whining over B/W is ridiculous, Paint it Black was a great episode.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i just hope rie matsumoto keeps getting work after this clusterfuck, because ive loved everything she's done

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

She's probably my 3rd favorite active director, behind Takahiro Omori and Sayo Yamamoto.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, you can stop at the halfway mark of Z's Longest Day - Part 2 once they've stopped the Blood Breed. There's one more adapted story afterwards, but the writer takes a hatchet to it for more exposition about the great and powerful Casters.

That was where I ended up stopping. I wasn't that interested in the anime-original bits -- didn't think it was that bad but it felt kinda unnecessary and unconnected to the manga content and mostly I just didn't care about those characters and didn't like that they took focus away from the Libra team.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cheers, I'll look forward to it~

At least it got me interested in the original manga series unlike some other anime.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I haven't watched it yet but there are subs out for 12.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yes

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Man it was good to hear all of that music again

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Was it worth watching.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I liked it but I didn't mind the tv original stuff as much as the rest of this thread

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Great show. Now time to find the manga.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Yeap that was a good 45minutes.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
It was a feel-good episode, but otherwise it's par for the course for an anime original ending. Or whatever was going on in this episode flew over my head.

The visuals were quite good, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

everythingWasBees posted:

Was it worth watching.

It had legitimately good and bad parts. The bits with Libra in them were fantastic, but I found the general pacing to be pretty bad with how stop-start it got at times. Femt actually got some good moments as something other than a bystander waxing about the great and powerful Black, but there's still some gripes.

Leo's eye cracking was pretty pointless. I get that they're trying to create some tension, but it didn't affect anything because he still saw White and Black just fine in the end without any repercussions at all (it wasn't portrayed as being blinding agony to sustain it or anything). White being the whole thing keeping the city held together is just... no. It means the writer's straight-out declaring their own work as more important than the original author's and makes the whole thing nothing but :rolleyes::fh:. You could probably make a legitimately good series with White, Black and the Casters on their own, but the pacing of their stuff just comes off as tedious compared to B^3's generally-frantic pacing and the focus of the series climax should not be on the anime-original characters solving a problem on their own with Libra in the background. Getting Leo to the end one-by-one is good, but it's not really a good sell when they're only getting a few minutes apiece in a 45 minute finale.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Huh!?! The final episode's finally out!? Off I gooo~

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Good episode, real downer note to end on though.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It had legitimately good and bad parts. The bits with Libra in them were fantastic, but I found the general pacing to be pretty bad with how stop-start it got at times. Femt actually got some good moments as something other than a bystander waxing about the great and powerful Black, but there's still some gripes.

Leo's eye cracking was pretty pointless. I get that they're trying to create some tension, but it didn't affect anything because he still saw White and Black just fine in the end without any repercussions at all (it wasn't portrayed as being blinding agony to sustain it or anything). White being the whole thing keeping the city held together is just... no. It means the writer's straight-out declaring their own work as more important than the original author's and makes the whole thing nothing but :rolleyes::fh:. You could probably make a legitimately good series with White, Black and the Casters on their own, but the pacing of their stuff just comes off as tedious compared to B^3's generally-frantic pacing and the focus of the series climax should not be on the anime-original characters solving a problem on their own with Libra in the background. Getting Leo to the end one-by-one is good, but it's not really a good sell when they're only getting a few minutes apiece in a 45 minute finale.

Then you realize there's so little actual content in this episode that it would be barely enough to reach the first intermission.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

That was a cool ending to a cool show. A bit confusing, but then again it's been a long time so I don't remember a lot of stuff.

Overall great show, shame the hiatus interfered with it. Maybe I'll rewatch from the beginning one day. Also Kugimiya Rie needs to be in every show.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Admoon posted:

Also Kugimiya Rie needs to be in every show as anything other than a stereotypical tsundere.

FTFY

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blattdorf posted:

Then you realize there's so little actual content in this episode that it would be barely enough to reach the first intermission.

Dont forget the Casters contributing precisely squat to the big finale beyond sitting in their own isolated location looking important. You could excise the teleporter girl and never notice she'd gone. There really was no need for this to be 45 minutes long, and they could probably shave it down to the usual 23 minutes just by excising the dramatic pauses and Caster scenes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally sat down and watched the finale. It was a'ight. Not sure I understand how anything was accomplished in the end, but whatever.

Good of them to include a scene with Femt to remind us how much more fun and interesting a villain he is than Blank. Speaking of which, was the implication of their conversation supposed to be that Blank's true identity is the Wandering Jew? Cause that's not something that wasn't ever even remotely hinted at prior, not that it matters much.

Oh well. The show ultimately petered out, but I had my fun.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I always suspect everybody is The Wandering Jew until they tell me otherwise, and that policy has served me well in my life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Good of them to include a scene with Femt to remind us how much more fun and interesting a villain he is than Blank. Speaking of which, was the implication of their conversation supposed to be that Blank's true identity is the Wandering Jew? Cause that's not something that wasn't ever even remotely hinted at prior, not that it matters much.

I think it's just meant to be an extra layer of :rolleyes::fh: about how important and powerful Blank is. Which doesn't really work because have you seen the thing that gave Leonard the Eyes of the Gods?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I always suspect everybody is The Wandering Jew until they tell me otherwise, and that policy has served me well in my life.
Sharky.

The truth is, I-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's just meant to be an extra layer of :rolleyes::fh: about how important and powerful Blank is. Which doesn't really work because have you seen the thing that gave Leonard the Eyes of the Gods?
I dislike it because it comes off as them trying to explain something that never really needed an explanation in the first place...while still failing to explain it. There's just such a huge gap between the original legend and what Blank's become that just knowing how or where he started out tells us nothing.

I'll admit there are thematic connections to be drawn, but I feel like the show kinda expects the viewer to do the heavy lifting.

• Locked thread