Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm a sucker for a good ensemble cast and this show looks set to deliver. Just hoping the day-to-day bad guys get as much personality as the protagonists. Could've been more colorful, yeah, but I kinda like the drab decor. The abnormal has become normal, after all.

Only thing that bugged me was the whole calling attacks thing with the text on screen, since in my experience that tends to lean towards characters having some signature move they can always rely on to get themselves out of a jam rather than any sort of creative application of their power. The episode contained some good spectacle though, so I'm not too worried.

Looking forward to more Klaus and Chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nat posted:

That entire last minute was full of delicious animation. The slow-mo was pure :circlefap:. The episode itself had a nice setup to the world, or city rather since this all takes place in New York? And the character designs are refreshing, mostly Leo's. Really looking forward to seeing what happens next, although I might end up getting the manga soon.

You should just get the comic anyways because it rules. If it's out of stock near you you can start with any volume because every story is standalone, it's cool.

ViggyNash posted:

Its only fault is that it could have been more colorful, but that is an amazing introductory episode. Perfect show for the Durarara hiatus.

I disagree mostly because I think the show was plenty colorful enough, Jerusalem's Lot is a really grimy lived in city that's constantly inundated by fog, so it's one thing the anime did really well the comic sometimes doesn't make as clear. When reading it in my head I forget how foggy it's supposed to be sometimes. The detailed environments with a more muted palette also helps constant with the designs of the characters and their flashy special abilities.

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm a sucker for a good ensemble cast and this show looks set to deliver. Just hoping the day-to-day bad guys get as much personality as the protagonists. Could've been more colorful, yeah, but I kinda like the drab decor. The abnormal has become normal, after all.

Only thing that bugged me was the whole calling attacks thing with the text on screen, since in my experience that tends to lean towards characters having some signature move they can always rely on to get themselves out of a jam rather than any sort of creative application of their power. The episode contained some good spectacle though, so I'm not too worried.

The block text attacks are basically finishers, but the way they all get used is handled creatively enough.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On screen text finishers own and more shows should have them.

Though I'd probably get fed up of it if they did.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think my favorite finishers are Doug's based on the names alone, but we'll see that as it happens.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Signature finishers are cool, we cool BBB.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first episode did a really good job at making the city feel alive, it's really cool.

Also cool is how nonchalant everyone is. Showing that people can adjust and go about their every day lives despite living in a place where crazy poo poo happens all the time was a great way to say a lot about the place with very little.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

The first episode did a really good job at making the city feel alive, it's really cool.

Also cool is how nonchalant everyone is. Showing that people can adjust and go about their every day lives despite living in a place where crazy poo poo happens all the time was a great way to say a lot about the place with very little.

My favorite little bit of that was the Outsider/Human rap group.

Music brings people together.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, all the side details of no one giving a gently caress anymore were great.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
why did he write a letter to his blind sister

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Where is everyone watching this? I don't see anything on Funimation yet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Where is everyone watching this? I don't see anything on Funimation yet.

gently caress funimation, get you some fansubs.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, all the side details of no one giving a gently caress anymore were great.
Watched the episode a second time to see if I couldn't catch anything else in the background and chuckled when I realized Femt's broadcasts are so routine nobody who isn't part of Libra pays them any attention. First time through I was too captivated by him slamming his head against the camera.

Hope the big guy who works at the diner is alright though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm kinda sad by some of the small things they did cut though, like chain is introduced in the comic by appearing out of nowhere and landing on top of Zap, crushing him into the ground. The running gag of her coming out of nowhere to step on him, sometimes unconsciously, is pretty funny and I hope they don't drop it all around.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I'm kinda sad by some of the small things they did cut though, like chain is introduced in the comic by appearing out of nowhere and landing on top of Zap, crushing him into the ground. The running gag of her coming out of nowhere to step on him, sometimes unconsciously, is pretty funny and I hope they don't drop it all around.

That sounds like a missed opportunity right there. They could easily have included it, so I don't see why they didn't.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

That sounds like a missed opportunity right there. They could easily have included it, so I don't see why they didn't.

Seems like it was mostly just cut down for time probably, that sequence was part of a bigger scene where when zap walks into the room he immediately attacks and is effortlessly tossed aside by Klaus. The first story is one of the longest ones in the whole series, so they streamlined and cut parts of it to fit their stylistic goals while still hitting all the major points. The monkey chase in particular is way longer and it releases the cutting demon like four or five times before being stopped, instead of the twice it does in the anime.

You lose some other small character moments like Zap hassling Leonard a lot more about how lame he looks and why would he want to join libra instead of just taking him down right away, and Chain having a small run in with riffraff outsiders while trying to chase down the monkey.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 5, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In exchange you got a lot more of Femt hamming it up all over the monitors which is a bonus in my book. I just hope they keep more of the humor and background stuff in the later stories when they don't have to compress so much down because of the longer story. The preview looks hopeful at least.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I have barely any idea what I watched but I liked it. Loved the setting and some of the characters, especially Femt.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't get over this anime! It's so so good!! I'm gonna go read the manga!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I have barely any idea what I watched but I liked it. Loved the setting and some of the characters, especially Femt.

Femt sadly only appears for that story so far in the manga. I'm really hoping they thread him in as behind some of the other stuff though :allears:.

Bad Seafood posted:

B^3's very good about avoiding that. I think the only move that's ever been used twice was by Klaus, and that was because that move seals a very specific type of abnormal entity.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Seems like it was mostly just cut down for time probably, that sequence was part of a bigger scene where when zap walks into the room he immediately attacks and is effortlessly tossed aside by Klaus. The first story is one of the longest ones in the whole series, so they streamlined and cut parts of it to fit their stylistic goals while still hitting all the major points. The monkey chase in particular is way longer and it releases the cutting demon like four or five times before being stopped, instead of the twice it does in the anime.

You lose some other small character moments like Zap hassling Leonard a lot more about how lame he looks and why would he want to join libra instead of just taking him down right away, and Chain having a small run in with riffraff outsiders while trying to chase down the monkey.

Yeah that sounds like the better compromise, nvm.

I suppose they could always introduce the gag later, once we're settled in and can at least pretend to know what the gently caress is going on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah that sounds like the better compromise, nvm.

I suppose they could always introduce the gag later, once we're settled in and can at least pretend to know what the gently caress is going on.

It was probably for the best if they're condensing it down a two-part story into half an hour, just so they can introduce Zap and Klaus properly. They also cut out the Armory guy who gives Leonard that gun altogether too - In the manga they swing by to get Leonard a weapon during the chase.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was probably for the best if they're condensing it down a two-part story into half an hour, just so they can introduce Zap and Klaus properly. They also cut out the Armory guy who gives Leonard that gun altogether too - In the manga they swing by to get Leonard a weapon during the chase.

They gave him a grenade launcher too, very overkill for monkey hunting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

They gave him a grenade launcher too, very overkill for monkey hunting.

It's a 40mm Hand-Launcher with thought-guidance. Probably the only way to stop something capable of moving at mach speed.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Femt sadly only appears for that story so far in the manga. I'm really hoping they thread him in as behind some of the other stuff though :allears:.
If they went to all the trouble of getting him a big name voice actor, they'll probably find an excuse to keep him around.

Having held off on the manga, I was actually pretty surprised to learn this was his only appearance. When I wrote stuff like:

Bad Seafood posted:

Watched the episode a second time to see if I couldn't catch anything else in the background and chuckled when I realized Femt's broadcasts are so routine nobody who isn't part of Libra pays them any attention.
I was presuming he did stuff like this all the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Having held off on the manga, I was actually pretty surprised to learn this was his only appearance. When I wrote stuff like:

That seemed to be the implication, considering he's the King of Depravity :pervert:, but so far nothing yet. He's actually slightly less bananas in the manga. His little announcement is just him sitting in a chair with a woman standing on either side, wearing similar visors to his own.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

If they went to all the trouble of getting him a big name voice actor, they'll probably find an excuse to keep him around.

It's super episodic in a way you usually don't see in serialized comics. From what we have out in english I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a single recurring villain yet.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I hope if nothing else he does the episode preview narration each time, it would be a shame to waste such a good VA.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

I hope if nothing else he does the episode preview narration each time, it would be a shame to waste such a good VA.

They're probably just going to tie him to some of the stand-alone plots Moriarty-style.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

Oh my god your title.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Oh my god your title.

I think it's funnier because it makes my posts even bigger now, highlighting the attention they all deserve.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Where is this streaming again, or is it not yet?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
No streams, just fansubs.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It is streaming on Funimation (delayed because Funi is terrible).

Its also streaming on Daisuki but only in India/SEA/some other parts of Asia, a rip of these subs is what is floating around. No one's fansubbed it yet.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Show's okay.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
That was a fun first episode. I think I'm going to enjoy this a lot. Femt is a cool guy!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That was a really good first episode, and the next episode looks really fun too. I'm down.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah echoing the love for this. I love the little lighter flip Zap did after finishing his super move :allears:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Just caught the first episode of this, and it's looking good so far! Bones does some pretty good work.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

the character designer for kyousougiga did most of the BBB ED animation under a pen name (he still works for Toei) and its neat

aers fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

The second episode was cool and fun! If it stays this good I think I will like this show a lot.

• Locked thread