Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Chapter Six is really long (10,000+ words) and I only have that much free time each day.

Fair enough. It's just kind of amusing given Seven's notoriety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
No, that wouldn't be conjunction fallacy since he's not saying it's random chance AND destiny. However, he is basically saying that if there's a better explanation, then that explanation would be better, which is a meaningless tautology.

Ok, when we get to the infamous part, could people please explain why specifically they have a problem? I have some guesses but I don't want to misrepresent people. And don't post now since we're supposed to be cutting down on spoilers. :ssh:

Added Space fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 9, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Deptfordx posted:

So i've been reading this, this weekend. Second to endorse this. If you have any knowledge of Dnd, especially 3rd editon this is a genuinally fun read.

I genuinely enjoyed that. And it made me want to run a good old fashioned cliche-as-hell D&D game.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 6: The Planning Fallacy
Part Nine

quote:

His left hand rose and touched his scar.

What... exactly...

"You're a full wizard now," said Professor McGonagall. "Congratulations."

Much less catchy than “Yer a wizard Harry!”, I’m afraid.

quote:

Harry nodded.

"And what do you think of the wizarding world?" said she.

"It's strange," Harry said. "I ought to be thinking about everything I've seen of magic... everything that I now know is possible, and everything I now know to be a lie, and all the work left before me to understand it. And yet I find myself distracted by relative trivialities like," Harry lowered his voice, "the whole Boy-Who-Lived thing." There didn't seem to be anyone nearby, but no point tempting fate.

Professor McGonagall ahemmed. "Really? You don't say."

Harry nodded. "Yes. It's just... odd. To find out that you were part of this grand story, the quest to defeat the great and terrible Dark Lord, and it's already done. Finished. Completely over with. Like you're Frodo Baggins and you find out that your parents took you to Mount Doom and had you toss in the Ring when you were one year old and you don't even remember it."

It seems rather out of character for strict “rationalist” Harry to read the Lord of the Rings. Why would he deign to read a novel, one that’s not even sci-fi? What could this brilliant scientific child prodigal possibly learn from it?

quote:

Professor McGonagall's smile had grown somewhat fixed.

"You know, if I were anyone else, anyone else at all, I'd probably be pretty worried about living up to that start. Gosh, Harry, what have you done since you defeated the Dark Lord? Your own bookshop? That's great! Say, did you know I named my child after you? But I have hopes that this will not prove to be a problem." Harry sighed. "Still... it's almost enough to make me wish that there were some loose ends from the quest, just so I could say that I really, you know, participated somehow."

"Oh?" said Professor McGonagall in an odd tone. "What did you have in mind?"

"Well, for example, you mentioned that my parents were betrayed. Who betrayed them?"

"Sirius Black," the witch said, almost hissing the name. "He's in Azkaban. Wizarding prison."

"How probable is it that Sirius Black will break out of prison and I'll have to track him down and defeat him in some sort of spectacular duel, or better yet put a large bounty on his head and hide out in Australia while I wait for the results?"

Professor McGonagall blinked. Twice. "Not likely. No one has ever escaped from Azkaban, and I doubt that he will be the first."

Harry was a bit sceptical of that "no one has ever escaped from Azkaban" line. Still, maybe with magic you could actually get close to a 100% perfect prison, especially if you had a wand and they did not. The best way to get out would be to not go there in the first place.

"All right then," Harry said. "Sounds like it's been nicely wrapped up." He sighed, scrubbing his palm over his head. "Or maybe the Dark Lord didn't really die that night. Not completely. His spirit lingers, whispering to people in nightmares that bleed over into the waking world, searching for a way back into the living lands he swore to destroy, and now, in accordance with the ancient prophecy, he and I are locked in a deadly duel where the winner shall lose and the loser shall win -"

Professor McGonagall's head swivelled, and her eyes darted around, as though to search the street for listeners.

"I'm joking, Professor," Harry said with some annoyance. Sheesh, why did she always take everything so seriously -

“Sheesh, why did she always take everything so seriously” :ironicat:

quote:

A slow sinking sensation began to dawn in the pit of Harry's stomach.

“Sinking sensations” do not “dawn”.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wasn't he told like, 10 pages back 'Hey, kid, lots of people lost friends and family in horrific ways to wizard nazis just recently so people aren't going to take this poo poo lightly'? And here he's surprised people are still worried about dark lords? Kid's kinda dumb.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

JosephWongKS posted:

Chapter Six is really long (10,000+ words) and I only have that much free time each day.

drat, that one chapter is passing by "short story" and moving into "novella" territory.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

fanfiction.net posted:

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
By: Less Wrong
Petunia married a biochemist, and Harry grew up reading science and science fiction. Then came the Hogwarts letter, and a world of intriguing new possibilities to exploit. And new friends, like Hermione Granger, and Professor McGonagall, and Professor Quirrell... Ch. 117, Something to Protect: Minerva McGonagall.
Rated: Fiction T - English - Drama/Humor - Hermione G., Tom R. Jr. - Chapters: 117 - Words: 632,920 - Reviews: 28,811 - Favs: 15,540 - Follows: 14,292 - Updated: 13h ago - Published: Feb 28, 2010 - id: 5782108

LotR: Words: 455,125
Atlas Shrugged: Words: 561,996
War and Peace: Words: 587,287
All seven Harry Potter books: 1,084,170 Words

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 9, 2015

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Ten

quote:

Professor McGonagall looked at Harry with a calm expression. A very, very calm expression. Then a smile was put on. "Of course you are, Mr. Potter."

Aw crap.

If Harry had needed to formalise the wordless inference that had just flashed into his mind, it would have come out something like, 'If I estimate the probability of Professor McGonagall doing what I just saw as the result of carefully controlling herself, versus the probability distribution for all the things she would do naturally if I made a bad joke, then this behavior is significant evidence for her hiding something.'

But what Harry actually thought was, Aw crap.

Harry turned his own head to scan the street. Nope, no one nearby. "He's not dead, is he," Harry sighed.

"Mr. Potter -"

"The Dark Lord is alive. Of course he's alive. It was an act of utter optimism for me to have even dreamed otherwise. I must have taken leave of my senses, I can't imagine what I was thinking. Just because someone said that his body was found burned to a crisp, I can't imagine why I would have thought he was dead. Clearly I have much left to learn about the art of proper pessimism."

Holy over-use of italics Batman!

quote:

"Mr. Potter -"

"At least tell me there's not really a prophecy..." Professor McGonagall was still giving him that bright, fixed smile. "Oh, you have got to be kidding me."

"Mr. Potter, you shouldn't go inventing things to worry about -"

"Are you actually going to tell me that? Imagine my reaction later, when I find out that there was something to worry about after all."

Dumbledore did conceal a lot of vital information from Harry in the canon series. For someone who was ostensibly one of the “good” guys, he was really horrible to Harry.

quote:

Her fixed smile faltered.

Harry's shoulders slumped. "I have a whole world of magic to analyse. I do not have time for this."

Then both of them shut up, as a man in flowing orange robes appeared on the street and slowly passed them by; Professor McGonagall's eyes tracked him, unobtrusively. Harry's mouth was moving as he chewed hard on his lip, and someone watching closely would have noticed a tiny spot of blood appear.
When the orange-robed man had passed into the distance, Harry spoke again, in a low murmur. "Are you going to tell me the truth now, Professor McGonagall? And don't bother trying to wave it off, I'm not stupid."

"You're eleven years old, Mr. Potter!" she said in a harsh whisper.

"And therefore subhuman. Sorry... for a moment there, I forgot."

"These are dreadful and important matters! They are secret, Mr. Potter! It is a catastrophe that you, still a child, know even this much! You must not tell anyone, do you understand? Absolutely no one!"

Notwithstanding my comments on Dumbledore above, and to be fair to this incarnation of McGonagall, at this stage she doesn’t know Harry well enough to entrust him with the various portentous secrets in her possession. It is therefore not rational of Harry to get angry with her for withholding information from him now – if he wants to get her trust, he should work to earn it.

quote:

As sometimes happened when Harry got sufficiently angry, his blood went cold, instead of hot, and a terrible dark clarity descended over his mind, mapping out possible tactics and assessing their consequences with iron realism.

Point out that you have a right to know: Failure. Eleven-year-old children do not have rights to know anything, in McGonagall's eyes.

Say that you will not be friends any more: Failure. She does not value your friendship sufficiently.

Point out that you will be in danger if you do not know: Failure. Plans have already been made based on your ignorance. The certain inconvenience of rethinking will seem far more unpalatable than the mere
uncertain prospect of your coming to harm.

Justice and reason will both fail. You must either find something you have that she wants, or find something you can do which she fears...

Ah.

"Well then, Professor," Harry said in a low, icy tone, "it sounds like I have something you want. You can, if you like, tell me the truth, the whole truth, and in return I will keep your secrets. Or you can try to keep me ignorant so you can use me as a pawn, in which case I will owe you nothing."

McGonagall stopped short in the street. Her eyes blazed and her voice descended into an outright hiss. "How dare you!"

"How dare you! " he whispered back at her.

"You would blackmail me?"

I’m not sure that it is “rational” to escalate directly to blackmail without attempting more congenial modes of diplomacy. A good long-term relationship is often worth much more than an immediate short-term advantage obtained through coercion.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I read Harry's lapses of spergin rationality as "he aspires to be purely rational, but is actually a ten year-old geek, with all that entails". I don't think he's intended to be The Perfect Logic Boy, more The Boy Who Tries.

That or the author isn't very good at rationality :v:

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
When i read this years ago (as far as it had come then) i had no idea who the author was, so i never got the "this is my manifesto of rationality" context. I just thought that harry was being portrayed as a 10 year old who read more books then was healthy and had no friends, and probably aspergers. He thinks he's being all über rational and whatever but really he's just a nerdy kid who read about bayers theory of probability instead of having meaningful human interaction. Honest question: If the author had been someone else without the baggage of Less Wrong, would you still think harry was being portrayed as always being right and an author insert, or just as a flawed character?

petrol blue posted:

That or the author isn't very good at rationality :v:
This is undeniably true regardless :D

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Killstick posted:

Honest question: If the author had been someone else without the baggage of Less Wrong, would you still think harry was being portrayed as always being right and an author insert, or just as a flawed character?
Yes. Because he's trying to pull off a ten year old kid that understands Bayes without being affected by it in other ways. The author isn't making any effort to portray him as flawed - or sufficiently advanced in his area. Child prodigies exist but this one just comes out as halfassed.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 9, 2015

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Yes. Because he's trying to pull off a ten year old kid that understands Bayes without being affected by it in other ways. The author isn't making any effort to portray him as flawed - or sufficiently advanced in his area. Child prodigies exist but this one just comes out as halfassed.

Isn't he wrong about a bunch of things though, according to this thread? I don't actually know what Bayes theory is so it all goes over my head anyway, but i always figured that he had all this book-learned technical knowledge about a bunch of theories that he was more or less hopeless at applying to anything because he wasn't as smart as he thought. Hm, that does remind me of someone. I guess i can see the author insert point of view.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Maybe I missed something: what are McGonagall's secrets that Harry is threatening not to keep? Is there something specific, or is just "If I find out your secrets, I won't be under any obligation to not blab them around"?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Huh, another Let's Read by JWKS, I wonder what this one is abou... :stonklol:

I don't think I'll be doing dramatic readings this time. :stare:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Killstick posted:

Isn't he wrong about a bunch of things though, according to this thread? I don't actually know what Bayes theory is so it all goes over my head anyway, but i always figured that he had all this book-learned technical knowledge about a bunch of theories that he was more or less hopeless at applying to anything because he wasn't as smart as he thought. Hm, that does remind me of someone. I guess i can see the author insert point of view.

it is a statistical equation which is hella useful for statistical things and there's sort of a cultural trend in data management to start viewing things in a more bayesian manner (as opposed to the frequentist manner, which has certain philosophical and practical differences) - essentially, whether one should try to measure phenomena directly or via its context. this is, of course, grossly oversimplifying things, but that's the essence.

it is, as one might imagine, less useful for developing a philosophy to live your life by, which is the whole dogmatic rationalism thing this guy seems to get off on

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mikl posted:

Maybe I missed something: what are McGonagall's secrets that Harry is threatening not to keep? Is there something specific, or is just "If I find out your secrets, I won't be under any obligation to not blab them around"?
Harry Otter here has realized that probably the Dark Lord is still around in some way, or at least that there's evidence of that, based on McGonagall's reaction. Since she is for some reason not being completely open and trusting to this eleven year old who is, from an external perspective, a pedant with minimal social graces yet a huge amount of book learning, he is resorting to blackmail in order to rationally and completely obtain exactly what he wants.

Harry does not seem to be interested in a rational approach to things - a purely rational approach to things would be to say "I'm sorry, Professor, this is all really shocking," and then chat her up in privacy in some form.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

my dad posted:

Huh, another Let's Read by JWKS, I wonder what this one is abou... :stonklol:

I don't think I'll be doing dramatic readings this time. :stare:

No need! There's a full cast podcast of every chapter!

http://www.hpmorpodcast.com/?page_id=56 or all 154 episodes so far are on Itunes.

You're welcome!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
...really?

It doesn't seem too bad, either. Well, given the source materiahahaha, nope, just got to the horribly editied in dialogue. This is awesomebad!

:magical:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

God, this Harry... He's just got absolutely no empathy or patience. It really is like watching a spoiled child who thinks he's entitled to everything throw a tantrum. "But I'm rational and special and goddamnit give me the things I want!"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I agree that if you don't know about the author, it seems like Harry is intentionally written to have flaws and biases to make him a somewhat more rounded character. Of course, that's actually just the author exporting his own flaws and biases that he doesn't think are flaws are biases, but that's part of why it managed to hook in people before it got REALLY weird, I think.

JosephWongKS posted:

It seems rather out of character for strict “rationalist” Harry to read the Lord of the Rings. Why would he deign to read a novel, one that’s not even sci-fi? What could this brilliant scientific child prodigal possibly learn from it?

I think you really mischaracterize the author's ideology a lot, which is dumb because it's got plenty of stupid bullshit to criticize and make fun of it for even before that. I think only the craziest of lesswrongers (And as crazy as Yudkowsky is, he is by no means the craziest lesswronger) would ever claim that you shouldn't ever enjoy yourself, at the very least for the sake of your mental health.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

I agree that if you don't know about the author, it seems like Harry is intentionally written to have flaws and biases to make him a somewhat more rounded character. Of course, that's actually just the author exporting his own flaws and biases that he doesn't think are flaws are biases, but that's part of why it managed to hook in people before it got REALLY weird, I think.

I think you really mischaracterize the author's ideology a lot, which is dumb because it's got plenty of stupid bullshit to criticize and make fun of it for even before that. I think only the craziest of lesswrongers (And as crazy as Yudkowsky is, he is by no means the craziest lesswronger) would ever claim that you shouldn't ever enjoy yourself, at the very least for the sake of your mental health.

And then there's the Dark Enlightenment, the surprisingly well-tolerated 'neoreactionary' Less Wrong spin-off sect who believe LOTR to be the ideal social model and masturbate themselves to sleep over the idea of massacring swarthy, evil Southrons.

These nerds just cannot have a normal response to anything.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

reignonyourparade posted:

Fair enough. I'll keep that in mind for the remaining chapters.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Eleven

quote:

Harry's lips twisted. "I am offering you a favor. I am giving you a chance to protect your precious secret. If you refuse I will have every natural motive to make inquiries elsewhere, not to spite you, but because I have to know! Get past your pointless anger at a child who you think ought to obey you, and you'll realise that any sane adult would do the same! Look at it from my perspective! How would you feel if it was YOU? "

ARGH, stop it! Just stop it, you rotten spoiled brat!

quote:

Harry watched McGonagall, observed her harsh breathing. It occurred to him that it was time to ease off the pressure, let her simmer for a while. "You don't have to decide right away," Harry said in a more normal tone. "I'll understand if you want time to think about my offer... but I'll warn you of one thing," Harry said, his voice going colder. "Don't try that Obliviation spell on me. Some time ago I worked out a signal, and I have already sent that signal to myself. If I find that signal and I don't remember sending it..." Harry let his voice trail off significantly.

McGonagall's face was working as her expressions shifted. "I... wasn't thinking of Obliviating you, Mr. Potter... but why would you have invented such a signal if you didn't know about -"

"I thought of it while reading a Muggle science-fiction book, and said to myself, well, just in case... And no, I won't tell you the signal, I'm not dumb."

But even if Harry has set up this signal to alert future him that his memories have been tampered with, how would he be able to know the identity of the tamperer in advance?

quote:

"I hadn't planned to ask," McGonagall said. She seemed to fold in on herself, and suddenly looked very old, and very tired. "This has been an exhausting day, Mr. Potter. Can we get your trunk, and send you home? I will trust you not to speak upon this matter until I have had time to think. Keep in mind that there are only two other people in the whole world who know about this matter, and they are Headmaster Albus Dumbledore and Professor Severus Snape."

So. New information; that was a peace offering. Harry nodded in acceptance, and turned his head to look forward, and started walking again, as his blood slowly began to warm over once more.

"So now I've got to find some way to kill an immortal Dark Wizard," Harry said, and sighed in frustration. "I really wish you had told me that before I started shopping."

The trunk shop was more richly appointed than any other shop Harry had visited; the curtains were lush and delicately patterned, the floor and walls of stained and polished wood, and the trunks occupied places of honor on polished ivory platforms. The salesman was dressed in robes of finery only a cut below those of Lucius Malfoy, and spoke with exquisite, oily politeness to both Harry and Professor McGonagall.

Harry had asked his questions, and had gravitated to a trunk of heavy-looking wood, not polished but warm and solid, carved with the pattern of a guardian dragon whose eyes shifted to look at anyone nearing it. A trunk charmed to be light, to shrink on command, to sprout small clawed tentacles from its bottom and squirm after its owner. A trunk with two drawers on each of four sides that each slid out to reveal compartments as deep as the whole trunk. A lid with four locks each of which would reveal a different space inside. And - this was the important part - a handle on the bottom which slid out a frame containing a staircase leading down into a small, lighted room that would hold, Harry estimated, around twelve bookcases.

If they made luggages like this, Harry didn't know why anyone bothered owning a house.

One hundred and eight golden Galleons. That was the price of a good trunk, lightly used. At around fifty British pounds to the Galleon, that was enough to buy a second-hand car. It would be more expensive than everything else Harry had ever bought in his whole life all put together.

Ninety-seven Galleons. That was how much was left in the bag of gold Harry had been allowed to take out of Gringotts.

Professor McGonagall wore a look of chagrin upon her face. After a long day's shopping she hadn't needed to ask Harry how much gold was left in the bag, after the salesman quoted his price, which meant the Professor could do good mental arithmetic without pen and paper. Once again, Harry reminded himself that scientifically illiterate was not at all the same thing as stupid.

Unfortunately he seems to be unaware that “has read lots of books” was not necessarily the same thing as “intelligent” or “wise”.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

i81icu812 posted:

LotR: Words: 455,125
Atlas Shrugged: Words: 561,996
War and Peace: Words: 587,287
All seven Harry Potter books: 1,084,170 Words

This is why I told JWKS that this was a bad idea. Even if this poo poo was good, it's long as gently caress.

quote:

Adults don't respect me enough to really talk to me. And frankly, even if they did, they wouldn't sound as smart as Richard Feynman, so I might as well read something Richard Feynman wrote instead. I'm isolated, Professor McGonagall. I've been isolated my whole life. Maybe that has some of the same effects as being locked in a cellar. And I'm too intelligent to look up to my parents the way that children are designed to do.

gently caress you, Yudkowsky. If I ever needed proof that you are a pseudo-intellectual shitlord, this would be one of my exhibits.
Richard Feynman was famous for being extremely inquisitive and conversational. He was interested in physics since childhood, be it water waves, radio signals or light switches. But he had interests everywhere else, bongo drums, the Japanese language, travel, safe-cracking. The man had an extremely inquisitive mind and loved learning about everything ever. Yeah okay he was somewhat of an rear end in a top hat, but he never considered others to be beneath him. The man was an -excellent- teacher, people had to get tickets to his lectures and that poo poo got sold out fast. He was REALLY GOOD at explaining things, and one of his greater disappointments was his inability to explain the physics of fire to his dad. Hell, one of the reasons he is famous is because of his Feynman Diagrams, which were used to explain the movement of sub-atomic particles iirc. He made quantum mechanics a lot easier to understand and much more approachable for everyone.

Richard Feynman doesn't try to "sound smart". Whenever he presented knowledge, he would use conversational speech, only dipping into scientific jargon when necessary. You don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

And then, in the same loving breath, you say that "I'm isolated...locked in a cellar...too intelligent". I don't have an :ironicat: big enough.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 10, 2015

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I'm really not getting how "this is a tract on the author's philosophy" and "Harry is a flawed and occasionally very dumb kid (with Mysterious Things that make him sometimes not act eleven)" are incompatible, which seems to be the working assumption here. He can talk the talk and still be poo poo at walking the walk--it's easy to know about blindspots, but that doesn't mean yours go away. This is a crazy common weakness among smart kids! Harry strikes me as kind of deliberately insufferable, and from reading later on, yeah, there's character development, so it's intentional. Right now a lot of this is just "Man, that Yud, so crazy" and "Wow, this is supposed to be a role model?" which is getting kind of repetitive. We know, man. We know.

Maybe just mostly stick to what's on the page and ignore the rest of it? It's actually fairly enjoyable if you do that. The author is pretty good at absurdist humor.

And I'm gonna defend that one particular freakout about her thinking Harry's parents might be abusive. I mean, it simultaneously
a) establishes that Harry's occasional not-eleven moments are totally intentional,
b) while also serving as a good example of him still being a stupid kid (that is one hell of a freakout),
c) establishes that Harry really does love his parents (important, considering his continual irritation at how adults never take him seriously),
and d) illustrates that McGonagall takes the welfare of her students very seriously.

That's not bad writercraft.

It'd all be better without the Teaching Moments grafted onto it, but this story is okay.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Einander posted:

I'm really not getting how "this is a tract on the author's philosophy" and "Harry is a flawed and occasionally very dumb kid (with Mysterious Things that make him sometimes not act eleven)" are incompatible, which seems to be the working assumption here. He can talk the talk and still be poo poo at walking the walk--it's easy to know about blindspots, but that doesn't mean yours go away. This is a crazy common weakness among smart kids! Harry strikes me as kind of deliberately insufferable, and from reading later on, yeah, there's character development, so it's intentional. Right now a lot of this is just "Man, that Yud, so crazy" and "Wow, this is supposed to be a role model?" which is getting kind of repetitive. We know, man. We know.

Maybe just mostly stick to what's on the page and ignore the rest of it? It's actually fairly enjoyable if you do that. The author is pretty good at absurdist humor.

And I'm gonna defend that one particular freakout about her thinking Harry's parents might be abusive. I mean, it simultaneously
a) establishes that Harry's occasional not-eleven moments are totally intentional,
b) while also serving as a good example of him still being a stupid kid (that is one hell of a freakout),
c) establishes that Harry really does love his parents (important, considering his continual irritation at how adults never take him seriously),
and d) illustrates that McGonagall takes the welfare of her students very seriously.

That's not bad writercraft.

It'd all be better without the Teaching Moments grafted onto it, but this story is okay.

Except this whole chapter just makes me loath this stupid "kid." The problem is that Harry hasn't demonstrated at this point that he is actually a person to be respected, and every time he demands that everyone recognize his genius or whatever it just drives in how little I like or respect this character. Going and threatening an adult who has been nothing but kind to him and has demonstrated that she cares about his wellbeing is the action of a sociopath; this character doesn't have a bit of charisma, or an ounce of wonder or fun that would make me tolerate what a slimy pile of poo poo he is.

Also, I think you're wrong. Harry's not-eleven moments are widely divided into two types, his "cold rage" or whatever and the times where he simply fails to act like a kid or even a scientist. There is no wonder or discovery in this child getting a vista into a world that fundamentally alters what he knows about reality. A child would be amazed, and a scientist would probably be trying to get help figuring out a way to unify the two perspectives. The thing about Harry is that he is an arrogant, asocial, joyless, petty, lying, manipulative, self absorbed prick to the point I think he needs to be locked away; not all of that can be laid at the feet of a plot twist. In fact I bet that the author doesn't see most of those qualities, Harry in this scene is supposed to come across as righteous, if overzealous, and also competent. I don't see him that way, it feels like he pulled something about memory tampering that he should have had no knowledge of before today out of his rear end, and I hate how he's trying to bully someone because they don't instantly recognize he's the bestest, smartest eleven year old in history.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

See, this is why the author needs to die (speaking figuratively, I mean). There's really no point in arguing about authorial intent when the "intentionally bad" and "unintentionally bad" interpretations are perfectly valid within their own contexts.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

akulanization posted:

Except this whole chapter just makes me loath this stupid "kid." The problem is that Harry hasn't demonstrated at this point that he is actually a person to be respected, and every time he demands that everyone recognize his genius or whatever it just drives in how little I like or respect this character. Going and threatening an adult who has been nothing but kind to him and has demonstrated that she cares about his wellbeing is the action of a sociopath; this character doesn't have a bit of charisma, or an ounce of wonder or fun that would make me tolerate what a slimy pile of poo poo he is.

Also, I think you're wrong. Harry's not-eleven moments are widely divided into two types, his "cold rage" or whatever and the times where he simply fails to act like a kid or even a scientist. There is no wonder or discovery in this child getting a vista into a world that fundamentally alters what he knows about reality. A child would be amazed, and a scientist would probably be trying to get help figuring out a way to unify the two perspectives. The thing about Harry is that he is an arrogant, asocial, joyless, petty, lying, manipulative, self absorbed prick to the point I think he needs to be locked away; not all of that can be laid at the feet of a plot twist. In fact I bet that the author doesn't see most of those qualities, Harry in this scene is supposed to come across as righteous, if overzealous, and also competent. I don't see him that way, it feels like he pulled something about memory tampering that he should have had no knowledge of before today out of his rear end, and I hate how he's trying to bully someone because they don't instantly recognize he's the bestest, smartest eleven year old in history.
This is only obvious if you are already familiar with Yud's other works.
If this is you first exposure to less wrong, the story could just as well be interpreted as a dead-pan parody. At least at the current progress of this reading.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
To be exactingly fair: this Harry is closer to a real Rationalist than Rowling's Harry is to someone kept in a cupboard under the stairs:

Me? No, I love monkeys, why do you ask? posted:

Harlow et al. reported that partial isolation resulted in various abnormalities such as blank staring, stereotyped repetitive circling in their cages, and self-mutilation. These monkeys were then observed in various settings.

Yud doesn't accept your argument that Rowling was writing a kids' adventure story and not a torture/horror story.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I found a tumblr that did a chapter-by-chapter review. Looking over the whole story with a broader lens I had to admit I was repressing certain factors in thinking this was a good story. The story has some good pieces to it, but I'm back on the hate train. This story is crap and and our hero is an insufferable douchebag.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Added Space posted:

This story is crap and and our hero is an insufferable douchebag.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

petrol blue posted:

To be exactingly fair: this Harry is closer to a real Rationalist than Rowling's Harry is to someone kept in a cupboard under the stairs:

Yud doesn't accept your argument that Rowling was writing a kids' adventure story and not a torture/horror story.
To be fair I don't believe Harry was literally being confined in that space full time, but rather it was his room, and inadequate as such. "Not having your own bedroom," which probably not good for a small child, is hardly necessarily going to produce psycho monkey syndrome.

The negativity of his home environment came from his foster family being boorish and overbearing, not literally starving him or confining him in a cage like a lab monkey.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Eliezer Yudkowsky posted:

I would like any readers who think that HPMOR deserves it sufficiently, and who are attending or supporting the 2015, 2016, or 2017 Worldcon, to next year, nominate Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality for Best Novel in the 2016 Hugos. Whether you then actually vote for HPMOR as Best Novel is something I won’t request outright, since I don’t know what other novels will be competing in 2016. After all the nominees are announced, look over what’s there and vote for what you think is best.

I decided long ago that once HPMOR was fully written and published, I would try to get in touch with J. K. Rowling to see if HPMOR could be published in book form, maybe as HJPEV and the Methods of Rationality, with all profits accruing to a UK charity. I’m not getting my hopes up, but I do have a rule telling me to try rather than automatically giving up and assuming something can’t be done. If any reader thinks they can put me in touch with J. K. Rowling, or for that matter Daniel Radcliffe, regarding this matter, I do hereby ask them to contact me at yudkowsky@gmail.com.

:allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ahahahahahahaha! I'd love to see what a normal editor would do to his insane shitpile, let alone the copyright clusterfuck.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Night10194 posted:

Ahahahahahahaha! I'd love to see what a normal editor would do to his insane shitpile, let alone the copyright clusterfuck.

The more entertaining thing is that the epilogue so far is super unsatisfying and Yud is getting defensive. "If you can't handle short chapters wait until Sunday" because of a bunch of oddly irate reviews.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

To be fair I don't believe Harry was literally being confined in that space full time, but rather it was his room, and inadequate as such. "Not having your own bedroom," which probably not good for a small child, is hardly necessarily going to produce psycho monkey syndrome.

The negativity of his home environment came from his foster family being boorish and overbearing, not literally starving him or confining him in a cage like a lab monkey.

They did actually starve him, though. There's a reason he's described as looking thin and malnourished while Dudley is a big fat tub of lard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

. . . there are no words for this. None really.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Again, having not been exposed to LW, the second paragraph seems pretty decent to me: "I did a big thing that a ton of nerds love, lets see if we can raise some charity cash with it" is a statement I find hard to mock.

It's like Yud has the same sudden shifts Harry does, lurching from 'rationalist' joyless ubermensch to kinda-decent-dork. Funny that.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
I wouldn't be surprised if "charity" meant "my Singularity Institute".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

petrol blue posted:

Again, having not been exposed to LW, the second paragraph seems pretty decent to me: "I did a big thing that a ton of nerds love, lets see if we can raise some charity cash with it" is a statement I find hard to mock.

It's like Yud has the same sudden shifts Harry does, lurching from 'rationalist' joyless ubermensch to kinda-decent-dork. Funny that.

I think it's more of a case of him trying to have a comeback once the idea is dismissed.

"JK hates charities, and is a horrible person, because she wouldn't agree to let me publish my rip-off of her work."

If he's serious, just do the loving 50 Shades thing, and change the names and publish it that way.