Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

anilEhilated posted:

Snape. Uh, by some definitions of "decent".

Snape might be on the side of the "good guys" but he is still a tremendously lovely person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Monocled Falcon posted:

I think you misunderstand me. Why does the story suddenly turn into Ender's Game? Wasn't following the plot of the first book, but stopping every chance to smugly lecture the audience the point?

Yud doesn't know the plot, he's never read the books.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Night10194 posted:

That sounds real bad. So basically to use it you have to be evil and willing to gently caress your very being over?

Not quite that bad (Aurors were allowed to use it at one point during the first war against Voldemort), but literally the only people ever seen casting the Killing Curse in the book are Death Eaters. Also it's an automatic life sentence in Azkaban if you use it on a person.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Nessus posted:

I think at one point in the movies Harry fires it off and misses, but this happens immediately after the murder of his godfather and surrogate parent so I don't think anyone held it against him, if they saw him.

No, that was the Cruciatus, and it doesn't work very well.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Remember that Snape was totally ok with killing a random baby when he told Voldemort the prophecy. When he learned it was Lily's baby he was still all for it as long as he could swoop in afterwards to get with her.

I've always seen Snape as someone who never really committed to a side. Sure, he'd rather Voldemort lost, but if he ended up winning Snape would go along with it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Also: pointy hats

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Crowsbeak posted:

Can anyone explain to me why is it that I have two friends on facebook both recommending this dreck to me, but they both are STEM majors?

Because STEM majors who haven't studied any philosophy, literature, or the actual scientific method (rather than blindly worshiping SCIENCE) but think they understand it are Yudkowsky's major source of followers.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Xander77 posted:

I'm not sure if we ever find out exactly how Harriezer "tricked" Quirrell or the Goblins. He also figures out that century-old institutions that serving the entire magic world might have some sort of protection against the very first get-rich-quick scheme dreamed up by an eleven year old, so we cut off that nascent plot thread (at least for the duration of the narrative - Harriezer still plans for the future as though exploiting the wizarding economy to generate unlimited funds is a given).

He "tricked" Quirrel by taking exactly 5 galleons but also a shitload of knuts, which weren't limited by Dumbledore.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah, indefinite lifespan doesn't work without infinite energy and robots to do all the work (which Yud just assumes will happen as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Even if you cured all sickness and disease and aging people would still be dying all the time from accidents.