Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
I thought the Harry Potter world gold coins were hubcap sized or something. Maybe Krugerrands at the smallest? Making them ludicrously heavy, but also screwing with the Fermi estimation. Gold is HEAVY, a Krugerrand is 33g. Off by a factor of 6 from 5g, so still almost close enough for Fermi estimation I guess. Still 20 Krugerrands is a good pound and a half of gold, a good bit more than a tenth of a kilo. I guess Krugerrands are the only real gold coins much minted now, but even old gold guineas or sovereigns were closer to 10g than 5g. Regardless, a purse of a thousand gallons for the triwizard tournament prize will weigh quite a bit.

Moreover what sort of Brit uses kilos for weights? The fight against metrication was still alive and well in '97. Bloody quitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Wouldn't it be better for everyone involved if he just died?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

...Wow this sentence just made it click for me.

This fanfiction is basically an insufferable, low-rent version of Artemis Fowl. Holy poo poo how did I never notice this? :aaaaa:
Then again, not even Art was THIS much of a shithead.

Basically.

Now I'm morbidly curious to see how Hermione is characterized. I can anyone be a bigger insufferable knowitall than Harry?

JWKS:The Artimis Fowl series is more or less is what you asked for. Assuming you want YA Fiction. Pretty much any evil child overlord will be YA Fiction anyway.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Velius posted:

You guys are spewing a hell of a lot of vitriol at a guy who appears guilty of, at worst, self promotion in conjunction with some relatively innocuous philosophy. If his worst transgression is writing some mediocre fanfiction filled with very-implausible-for-an-11-year-old-especially-in-conversation infodumps of (his?) ideas, which has an active fanbase, is that really worth the amount of personal attacks being leveled?

It just seems kind of the opposite of fun. If you're going to make fun of the stuff, make fun of an 11 year old off-handedly analyzing the magic bank for arbitrage opportunities or something, rather than the OK Cupid profile of the author, or whatever.

I don't know how you can read that OKCupid profile and not laugh. I don't care what else the author may have written, that is an amazing/terrifying profile.

This is still somethingawful.com, right?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Bendigeidfran posted:

Well most of his levels must have been in Fighter then, since he did beat a Balrog Balorsome kind of Demonic Bull-man on his lonesome.

On-topic I have to say that Harry Potter is a rather odd choice of franchise to get so angrily rationalist about. Like I get that it's because it's popular and exists concurrently with 20th century science. But the magic in HP is already so codified and consistent; say the right words and you'll get the same effects without any mess. Most of the strange and unpredictable creatures of the world are some flavor of tamed, enslaved, or documented by wizard magic. It's like King Kong captured by Carl Denham, a wonder of the world chained down for elementary school students to gawk at.

Obviously I'm exaggerating some things. But Harry Potter's magic definitely evokes science more than like, occultism or shamanism or the more metaphorical stuff that authors like Tolkien wrote. There's a standard curriculum for God's sake!

You're over-thinking it. When you're writing a author insert worldview exposition livejournal you go for the biggest potential audience possible. And if that means piggybacking on the most popular book series of all time, so be it.

The other thing to remember, as you embark on spewing out multiple copies of War and Peace, is that you don't want to try to blandly appeal to everyone. You just need some small, small subset of readers to become Atlas-Shrugged-evangelist levels of fanatically devoted to your philosophy. So take chances, espouse controversial ideas, kill characters, reinterpret major plot points. And throw in as many callouts and meta-references as you can. Someone will think its brilliant! The rest of the plebs just don't get your genius and will give up on reading a few hundred pages in. Ignore them, they don't bother to write reviews anyway.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

fanfiction.net posted:

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
By: Less Wrong
Petunia married a biochemist, and Harry grew up reading science and science fiction. Then came the Hogwarts letter, and a world of intriguing new possibilities to exploit. And new friends, like Hermione Granger, and Professor McGonagall, and Professor Quirrell... Ch. 117, Something to Protect: Minerva McGonagall.
Rated: Fiction T - English - Drama/Humor - Hermione G., Tom R. Jr. - Chapters: 117 - Words: 632,920 - Reviews: 28,811 - Favs: 15,540 - Follows: 14,292 - Updated: 13h ago - Published: Feb 28, 2010 - id: 5782108

LotR: Words: 455,125
Atlas Shrugged: Words: 561,996
War and Peace: Words: 587,287
All seven Harry Potter books: 1,084,170 Words

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 9, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

This is why I told JWKS that this was a bad idea. Even if this poo poo was good, it's long as gently caress.

But I some people like watching others suffer!

gently caress you, Yudkowsky. If I ever needed proof that you are a pseudo-intellectual shitlord, this would be one of my exhibits.
Richard Feynman was famous for being extremely inquisitive and conversational. He was interested in physics since childhood, be it water waves, radio signals or light switches. But he had interests everywhere else, bongo drums, the Japanese language, travel, safe-cracking. The man had an extremely inquisitive mind and loved learning about everything ever. Yeah okay he was somewhat of an rear end in a top hat, but he never considered others to be beneath him. The man was an -excellent- teacher, people had to get tickets to his lectures and that poo poo got sold out fast. He was REALLY GOOD at explaining things, and one of his greater disappointments was his inability to explain the physics of fire to his dad. Hell, one of the reasons he is famous is because of his Feynman Diagrams, which were used to explain the movement of sub-atomic particles iirc. He made quantum mechanics a lot easier to understand and much more approachable for everyone.

Richard Feynman doesn't try to "sound smart". Whenever he presented knowledge, he would use conversational speech, only dipping into scientific jargon when necessary. You don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

And then, in the same loving breath, you say that "I'm isolated...locked in a cellar...too intelligent". I don't have an :ironicat: big enough.

Yeah. Feynman was a lot of fun to talk to and be around. And a brilliant, sociable, well-rounded guy in general.

And also a huge rear end in a top hat. But a smart and entertaining one!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Double post

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Added Space posted:

I remember thinking when I read this part that this guy must be fairly young. Anyone old enough can remember a time before ATMs were on every block and a lot of places didn't take checks. Back then you carried around cash for most of your transactions, and for precisely that reason you always made sure to carry at least some extra around with you. Carrying a hundred dollars in cash, if you could afford to, was routine for many people. So he's made McG stupid not to show some deep aspect of human nature, but because he's young. Given the photos though I'm not sure, how old is this guy?

This chest is more expensive than all of Harry's actual school supplies combined.
A wand is 7 Galleons, a textbook 9 Galleons. Harry buys a wand, 8 textbooks, and spends maybe another handful of Galleons for clothes and a cauldron. That just about covers his school stuff and is generously around 100 Galleons.

YudHarry instead decides to throw tantrums and spend an extra 45 Galleons on a bag of holding and a medical kit. Then he doesn't have quite have the 105 Galleons extra for a fancy magical chest, and can't settle for a cheaper chest.

This whole passage has been "Harry can't budget and is spoiled" rather than McGonagall doesn't understand human nature and estimation. Harry took out 150% more money than he needed for school supplies but spent it all on nonessential stuff! Additionally, those withdrawn 250 Galleons (plus the 30 he stole) weigh some 20 pounds. I'm surprised his pockets haven't given out.

Wizard money is handled terribly in general. Prices from the books per http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizworld/money.html

cursed opal necklace at Borgin and Burkes (HBP6)
.....1500 Galleons

prize for winning the Triwizard Tournament (GF12)
.....1000 Galleons

prize from Daily Prophet drawing (PA1)
.....700 Galleons

amount Fred and George bet (their whole savings) (GF7)
.....37 Galleons, 15 Sickles, 3 Knuts

unicorn horn (PS5)
.....21 Galleons

human skull from Borgin and Burkes (HBP6)
.....16 Galleons

twelve-week course of Apparition Lessons from a Ministry of Magic Apparition Instructor (HBP17)
.....12 Galleons

amount Hermione had set aside to buy herself a birthday present (PA4)
.....10 Galleons

Omnioculars (GF7)
.....10 Galleons

a new copy of Advanced Potion-Making from Flourish and Blotts (HBP9)
.....9 Galleons

new wand from Ollivanders (PS5)
.....7 Galleons

pile of candy from the cart on the Hogwarts Express
.....11 Sickles, 7 Knuts

fare on the Knight Bus from Little Whinging to London (PA3)
.....11 Sickles

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Who the hell wants to be called 'Mr Anything' by other eleven-year-olds to attract less attention?

Also that is not a schema.

Good news, the fanfiction is officially complete. Clocks in at 661,619 words. Only 640,000 more words to go. Plus or minus a few thousand.

Hope you weren't planning on doing anything else for the next few years JWKS!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

21,000 words in 23 days, that's about 913 words a day. So literally seven hundred more days, at this rate.

JWKS: I think you need to stop trying to work through this line by line, because it's going to end up killing you. Just, summarise the chapter in a one-er, drill down to hit any major points of interest, then move on.

There's a bit later on where, simplifying a bit here, Hermione turns to Harry and says, "You are a high-functioning psychopath and that is a terrible thing to be," and then a bit later on he has a conversation with Quirrelmort that boils down to, "We are high-functioning psychopaths and that is the best possible thing to be," and for a while there I thought there might be a Point in the offing, and Harry would end up Learning a Lesson about friendship or whatever the gently caress, but

but

no

he learns nothing

it turns out the filling in the poo poo sandwich is more poo poo

No, I disagree. Word by word is the only way for us to fully appreciate this work.

For a while JWKS was actually losing ground and Yud was writing faster than JWKS was reviewing.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
This is not the part that was edited. So something was even worse and got edited out!

Someone needs to post the unedited bits.

Also, author notes are here: https://www.evernote.com/pub/adelenedawner/Eliezer#st=p&n=2c67f08c-97ca-4a3c-9df5-395e3e46f326 starting from chapter 17, unfortunately. JWKS should read those too!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

We haven't actually seen the edited part yet, which incidentally was edited for completely different reasons.

Yep! Something to look forward to!

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 18, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Just checking, but this is still the comedy forum somethingawful.com, right? A website founded on mocking the worst the internet has to offer?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I've been reluctantly reading along because I feel like I need to keep an eye on the big threads in this forum, got to that post, my skin tried to crawl into my eyeballs, but then I went "well, this is Something Awful after all." Mocking the horrible is part of the mission statement.

I don't know what else there is to do with this fic other than mock. Detailed literary criticism seems like a waste of effort for 660,000 words.

The writing is bad. Show don't tell is ignored. Characterization is inconsistent. Tone shifts are bizarre and whiplash inducing. Is this supposed to be a children's book with fallible eleven-year-old protagonist or a philosophical paean to Bayesianism?

The story is explicitly a didactic, pedagogical, rationalist tale, showing the reader how rationalists should think. Per intro: "This is a rationalist story; its mysteries are solvable, and meant to be solved" and "All science mentioned is real science". But the science presented isn't all correct! (Legacyspy, a less linguistically nitpicky criticism of the pouch passage is that it isn't a demonstration of natural language processing! Everything could have been done with a lookup table by a CS101 student.) The pedagogy is blatant and assaults (or insults) the reader with tons of jargon and belabored explanations of reciprocation theory and the like alongside self-congratulatory observations of how clever other characters are. Show don't tell!

The other thread of the fic introduced in the very beginning--'Harry applies the scientific method to the wizarding world'--is not explored well. The only experimentation so far has been with the pouch. But it stopped after one paragraph and didn't ever go beyond what a lookup table debugger would have done. The wizarding economy is dumb sure, but explore that! Why can't you just transfigure stuff to gold/silver/bronze and melt THAT down? Why can't you just conjure anything you want? 'Wizards are stupider than Harry and ignore muggles' is a pretty uninspired point to make. We're a good novella worth of words into the story and there isn't much science being explored. Perhaps comed-tea will change this?

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 19, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Ahhh Real Zombies! posted:

The first 17 chapters of this are for sale on Amazon. $7 and weirdly no kindle version. Although you'd think he'd add the rest of the story, but maybe he's going to charge seven bucks for chucks of chapters.

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Methods-Rationality-Chapters/dp/B00E640ZAG

I hope JK's lawyers see it soon. :allears:

How has that listing been up for almost a year? 300,000 amazon sales rank for a book is actually quite a few sales. No ISBN so it probably is vanity press. The lone 'new' bookseller has 15 copies for sale but is otherwise a normal amazon seller account selling almost exclusively books. 1,000 seller feedback/year translates to ~30,000 sales/year --a respectable amount of business. Almost definitely not an amazon seller account that Yud personally runs, way more profitable than his AI foundation.

I wonder who created the listing and actually printed the books. With the shipping credit the seller only gets $8.02 minus shipping fees. Seems like a lot of work for a few bucks.

EDIT

And to state the obvious, this is a clear copyright violation without consent of J.K. Rowling.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 19, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

quote:

The greatest scientists of one century ago, the brightest names that are still spoken with reverence, their powers are as nothing to the greatest scientists of today. There is no equivalent in science of your lost arts that raised Hogwarts.

Just off the top of my head, we’ve lost the recipe for the ancient Romans’ cement, which is much more durable than modern Portland cement - the Colosseum is still standing more than two thousands years later while buildings constructed with Portland cement wear down much faster. I’m sure there are many other ancient arts that we aren’t able to replicate in modern times.

Secrets are secrets for a reason.

Also moving large rocks from point A to point B. To build things like pyramids or Machu Pichu or stonehenge or what have you. And Greek Fire and Damascus steel

Moreover, scientists aren't Renaissance ubermensch polymaths. Modern scientists typically make breakthroughs in their particular field after years of study and are by-and-large ignorant of other fields. You can't reasonably compare a 'scientist' from a century ago to someone today. Comparing Planck or Einstein's knowledge of physics to Brenner or Bray's expertise in biology is comparing apples and oranges. Physicists from a century ago have a deeper understanding of physics than Nobel wining biologists, shock and surprise. Would anyone argue that Bohr or Einstein's 'powers' are nothing compared to 2014 Nobel laureate Shuji Nakamura? Creating practical blue LEDs is a great advance, surely. But we aren't all that much closer to unified field theory since Einstein worked on it, and Nakamura et al are too busy making money and chasing their own projects to care to push boundaries in theoretical physics.

The romantic Da Vinci ideal of the lone autodidact polymath genius is merely a Hollywood construct. A popular and enduring one, but a construct and not reflective of reality. This sort of thing is simply not how science advances. Which is too bad for Yud, who plays up his 'self-taught, dropped out of school at 12 genius' aspect as much as possible. And tries to convince people reading the handful of blog posts he writes and calls a Sequence will make them an expert in a field. And that sort of thinking IS damaging.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

Chapter 7 – Reciprocation
Part Twelve

On what basis does Harry have such confidence that the ability to perform magic is passed down the generations via genes / DNA? It’s “magic”. The feats that magic perform are explicitly outside the realm of physics, so what makes Harry think that the way that magic is transmitted is in accordance with the realm of biology?

Because Harry has the script. Obviously. Doubtlessly this will be a future plot point.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Remember, Harry has only known about the existence of magic for a week and only knows about Lucius from accosting some bystander at Madam Malkin's robe shop while everyone else was incapacitated with laughter over the Harry and Draco comedy routine. The letter from Lucius reveals the bystander to be Snape.

You don't remember this scene because it happened offscreen and we are only told it happened by Harry in passing.

I would also point out that Yud stopped his formal education at age 12... so the homeschooling comparison is perhaps apropos.

This dialog is pretty amazingly terrible.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 23, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

What's the story there?

Behold. Yudkowsky's autobiography, written in 2000. http://web.archive.org/web/20010205221413/http://sysopmind.com/eliezer.html

Highly recommended reading, very entertaining.

I note that Yud doesn't like people poking fun at his autobiography and doesn't understand fair use. Opening disclaimer is:

quote:

NOTE: I don't want people quoting sections of this page out of context, so, as copyright holder, I specifically deny permission to quote this page in whole or in part. If you want to reproduce so much as a sentence, then please just ask me. Likewise, please do not mirror or duplicate this page.

Therefore I present the relevant quote to answer your question. Thank you modern US copyright laws.

quote:

At the end of seventh grade (14), when I was around eleven and a half, I suddenly lost the ability to handle school. I stopped doing my homework. Instead of going to classes, I would sit in the school office, crying, until my mother picked me up. I am told that I made it through eighth grade and graduation, but I remember little or nothing of it. I don't recall it as a period of intense misery, except when I was actually in the classrooms (15); I do recall it as a period when I spent a lot of time crying.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

A3th3r posted:

I feel like the people who get a kick out of Eliezer Yudhowsky's academic antics would like Seth Godin.
http://www.yourturn.link/
Don't they just seem like they are cut from the same cloth?

Well, aside from the fact that Godin has a Stanford MBA and is a successful entrepreneur. And his educaitonal background doesn't look like this:

quote:

In second grade, I was shocked to learn that my math teacher didn't know what a logarithm was. (Not to give you the wrong impression, at the time, I didn't know what an "exponent" was. My parents called them logarithms, so that's what they were.) I permanently lost all respect for my teachers, and for the entire institution of school, and started pleading to be taken out. My parents told me that I had to go to school, even if I wasn't learning, to learn how to interact with the other kids. I said that if that was the case, they should send me to a specialized institution for learning how to interact with other kids, because I certainly wasn't learning any social skills in school. (4). In retrospect, I would still have to say that I was right about this (5).

It was during second grade that I bit a teacher. But it was just the one time.

In third grade, things continued onward in the same old pattern. I didn't interact much with the other kids, but I was the class genius, and I was always in trouble with the school authorities, so nobody picked on me, except for individual-to-individual teasing.

I continued reading adult-level books. It was in fourth grade, at the age of nine, that I read Richard Feynman's QED. (And, may I note, understood most of it.) At the time, I thought I would grow up to be a physicist. Dad was a physicist; I'd liked reading QED and the physics books I'd gotten hold of before that; I liked knowing what a quark was (one of only two fourth graders to do so); therefore, my default assumption was that I would be a physicist.

It was also at the age of nine that I tried to write a science-fiction novel, producing sixty pages of appalling garbage (6) which I recently managed to find on an old floppy disk. (My other computer files - all my old school papers, and so on - were lost when my father accidentally destroyed them. No backups. I can still feel the hole.)

In fifth grade, my parents first tried out the concept of accelerated classes; I took a sixth grade math course. It wasn't any different from previous math courses, in the sense of being yet another review of knowledge I'd had since first grade, but I supposed it was better than nothing. So, next year, my parents agreed to let me skip sixth grade and go directly to seventh. I was enthusiastic about the idea because it'd get me out a year earlier; also, I had three friends in that grade.

In seventh grade, the other kids picked on me, which was a new experience. They didn't know me, and they didn't know better, and - unlike kids my own age - I couldn't hold my own against them in a fight. But for the first few months, I managed.

Also in seventh grade, I learned about the concept of rising and falling tension, and realized what was wrong with my fourth-grade novel; it didn't have a plot. This is literally the only significant thing I learned in school, from pre-nursery to eighth grade. Was it worth ten years? No.

EDIT

Things directly from Yud's bio appearing in HPMoR:
-Physicist father
-Bit teacher
-Screwed up sleep cycle
-Homeschooled
-Bitter about gifted children's math testing

Recommend reading the bio, particularly section 4.6: What's it like to be you? in the strongest possible terms. http://web.archive.org/web/20010205221413/http://sysopmind.com/eliezer.html

Opening paragraph:

quote:

I am sufficiently intelligent to have completely avoided most or all of the pitfalls of youth, and I've cleaned enough dirt out of my mind that the thought of living in a completely open telepathic society doesn't disturb me. And yet I still fall short of moral perfection, because I have far less mental energy than an ordinary human.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 23, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Weird, its like reading my mentality when I was 12. 'I'm smarter then you and I know it, but if it takes effort I don't want to show it.'

I can't find the article, but there is a school of thought in which telling kids they are smart actually does harm, as opposed to saying they worked hard. If they find something hard, they think its cuz they aren't smart (which is the source of their validation), so they avoid it. If they are told they succeed through work, they think they just need to work harder to understand the material.

He seems... oddly underdeveloped in a lot of ways.

Right. But that was him as a 21 year old, not a 12 year old. Incidentally the page was up for under a year before Yud had a fit after someone quoted it and took it down.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Well I was expecting something weird and arrogant based off everything else, but instead that's really sad. I dunno, I can recognize the pain there, but at a certain point you need to rise above and not be a complete poo poo like he is as an adult

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-secret-to-raising-smart-kids1/

I think it definitely counts as weird. Sad yes. But definitely very weird. I'm sure some actual developmental psyc person could help make sense of it all, but it is a fascinating glimpse into the mind that wrote this. http://web.archive.org/web/20010205221413/http://sysopmind.com/eliezer.html#timeline_the

RE raising smart children and reinforcement:

Northwestern's Center for Talent Development, Hopkins's Center for Talented Youth, and other gifted and talented programs run testing programs to administer standardized tests to children typically around middle school when students can be sent off for summer programs. Ostensibly this is to identify smart children and offer them opportunities to attend advanced classes amongst their peers. Less charitable wags would note that the programs are primarily funded through tuition from the classes that it offers all students who take their screening tests and that enrollment has increased year-over-year for decades. IDK. Gifted education is kinda a mess.

Regardless, the programs exist to tell people their kids are smart and should be around other smart kids. Let's see what taking the test (and some practice tests!) did to Yud:

quote:

I obtained a couple of SAT preparation books - one targeted specifically on Math, and one targeted on the whole SAT (Math and Verbal). I took a few practice tests from the Math book, and with each additional test, my scores went down. I got a 570, then a 530, then a 460 (9). "Huh?" I said to myself.

So I took another practice test, this time resolving to, as Ben Kenobi would say, "act on instinct". (That actual phrase, in Ben's voice, ran through my head.) (10). I got a 640 Math. The lesson I learned was to trust my intuitions, because my intuitions are always right - probably one of the most important lessons of my entire life.

On my actual SAT, I got a 670 Verbal and a 740 Math. The Midwest Talent Search informed me that this had placed second Verbal, third Math, and second Combined, for the seventh grade, for the Midwest. Their statistics said I was at the 99.9998th percentile. It wasn't until years later that I realized their stats were worthless because I'd skipped a grade, and to this day, I still don't know what percentile I'm really in.

This was the first real sign that I was not only bright but waayy out of the ordinary...

I think, parentally this is where you try to talk about standardized test's poor behavior on bell curve edges and test repeatability/teachability and try to keep a kid grounded.... IDK. Gifted education is really a mess and Yud's childhood case is sadly not uncommon.

Anecdotally, I took the SAT around the same time as Yud in a similar gifted screening/summer school salesmanship exercise. I'm pretty sure I scored about the same as Yud did. The top ~30ish scorers from my state got certificates and they all turned out more or less normal by the time high school graduation rolled around (small state, most ended up in the same 2 high schools). But for the grace of God...

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 25, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

If you are in the 99.9999th percentile of loving anything, you do not go on in life to write Harry potter fan fics and logical fallacies. gently caress,I know people who got 10s and 12s on the act and even they get the basic concept of prisoner dilemmas

I'm not meaning to be dissing on the guy and it's likely that he did do pretty well on tests way back in the day, but doing well on basic English and math tests in middle school and then dropping out of school because you're so much better than the system does not give you the qualifications to make up terms and assert that your way of thinking is so much better than everyone else's

Tunicate posted:

Also, like ten people at my middle school got perfect 1600s on the SAT. Admittedly, that's across sixth-through-eighth, but I strongly suspect Yud fell for a scam.

Yeah, the old 1600 scale SATs are wonderfully teachable tests. Take a few dozen old tests, memorize a list of vocab words, and your scores will go up. SATs are really, really, lovely at differentiating the top end of the scale though. Too teachable and way too many people can max out the test for it to be very meaningful. And even if you are one in a million, there's 7,000 people smarter than you.

But it's the perfect scam for the colleges running the gifted and talented summer school programs--all data are real and truthful and everything they tell the students is completely accurate social science! They administer actual SATs for that year in a special middle school students only session and simply add an informational paper to the results reported by College Board saying how your results scale to the study run years ago for other kids your age, confidence levels, error bars and everything. Add award ceremonies for high scorers and some cheap recognition certificates and suburban parents can't throw money at your summer school programs fast enough.

Though perhaps I'm less than charitable, I'm sure some kids benefit tremendously from being around other smart kids and that it looks good on college applications.

Legacyspy posted:

position of ignorance

And since Legacyspy is doing such a wonderful job of getting people to respond--like SolTerrasa and su3su2u1 I'm not mocking from a position of ignorance. I've actually coded simulations and built robotic systems using Bayesian networks/Markov chains. They work well for very specific tasks (classic example is training robots to walk) and are terrible inefficient for others. But an AI with some sort of agency? Yud is crazy, not in our lifetimes. The mock thread goes into far more detail if you want.

Beside, I claimed a good score on a middle school SAT--the exact same credentials Yud has attained in his academic career. Clearly I am the most qualified person to mock him.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

SolTerrasa posted:

Nope, that's not quite what it means. What does it mean? Well, Yud doesn't seem to know either; he's never really explained it. As far as I can discern it means that the AI will never do anything that would violate the "coherent extrapolated volition" of humanity. So, basically, if you could take everyone's opinions (no explanation given for collecting these), throw out the opinions that are bad (no explanation given for deciding which opinions are bad), then do whatever best satisfies those opinions. The AI itself doesn't need to seem human or have human feelings, just to act in a way that optimizes around human feelings.

Edit: here, try to derive what he means from this, which, if you can believe it, he tried to include in an AI paper.

quote:

quote:

Our coherent extrapolated volition is our wish if we
knew more, thought faster, were more the people we wished we were, had
grown up farther together; where the extrapolation converges rather than diverges, where our wishes cohere rather than interfere; extrapolated as we wish
that extrapolated, interpreted as we wish that interpreted.

This was for an AI-generated poetry anthology right?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Oh good! Now you know how Yud feels all the time!

http://web.archive.org/web/20010205221413/http://sysopmind.com/eliezer.html#timeline_the posted:

There's a single emotional tone - an emotional tone is a modular component of the emotional symphonies we have English words for - common to sorrow, despair, and frustration. The tone is invoked by an effort failing to produce the expected reward ("frustration"), or by the anticipation of something going wrong ("despair"), or by watching something go wrong ("sorrow"). The message of this tone can be summarized as: "This isn't working. Stop what you're doing, try to figure out what you're doing wrong, and try something else." The cognitive methods activated by this tone (21) include what I would now call "causal analysis", "combinatorial design", and "reflectivity". The motivational effect of the tone includes, of course, low mental energy.

To get an idea of what this tone feels like, tilt your head back and try to scream, inaudibly, at the pitch bats use; then, add the burning sensation you get at the back of your throat when you're about to cry; the result is the tactile aspect of the tone.

That catch in the throat is always with me.
It is present when I get up in the morning, when I go to sleep at night, and at every moment in between. Such emotions often have specific neurological substrate, and it is known that neurological perturbations can alter or obliterate both entire emotions and specific facets of emotions. (22). The catch in the throat, and the low mental energy that goes with it, and the cognitive methods it invokes, are constantly present in my mind. These characteristics are "nailed down", present at all times and regardless of external conditions.

Thus a single cause neatly accounts for both my SAT scores and my Great Depression, with the available evidence suggesting it goes back to birth or earlier (23). I have no idea whether this perturbation, this "neurohack", is genetic or prenatal or the result of some disease in infancy, but in retrospect, it's clear that it goes back as far as I - or my parents - can remember.

Are you smarter than everyone you know, but unable to force yourself to get stuff done? If so I have this great fanfic you should read!

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 25, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Night10194 posted:

I'd define it primarily as people who are actual contributors to his institute (financial ones), and who are members of the Less Wrong community. I have no idea if you're a member. You're pretty obviously a fan of the work, but that has no real bearing on if you self identify as a member of the community or of Yudkowsky or similar 'rationalist' orbits. My primary academic interest is in the fact that this fiction, and the Sequences, and many of his theories, have a cast very similar to a lot of Christian religious and apocalyptic dogma, despite their avowed atheism. I'm currently beginning to gather data and do reading on his work because of the fascinating parallels between the Cryonics stuff and the Christian resurrection of the Dead, the similarities between AI Go Foom and classic apocalypse, etc, because I have approval and support from my old advisers from my master's program that there might be a productive bit of work to be done on singularity and science fetish cults, and on the sort of cross pollination between commonplace religious ideas in the larger culture and the texture of what they end up believing.

I'm at the very beginning of working on this, mind, and have a hell of a lot of reading to do still. Just some of the ideas and the general shape of things piqued my interest in their similarity and merit looking into from an academic standpoint.

Would be very interested to read what you come up with. To that end, MIRI posts their annual 990 tax docs online! https://intelligence.org/transparency/

Despite what our friend Legacyspy says, Yud's cult is doing better than ever financially. $1.3M in contributions in 2013! Up from $600k in 2011 and $400k in 2009. They also sold the old singularity related webaddress to Kurzweil to avoid confusion for $300k, or something. Looking at the donor list, the vast majority of the money is contributions from a handful of silicon valley millionaires https://intelligence.org/topdonors/

Yud is the only person doing 'research', and has been paying himself about $88k/year since 2007. Hosting the Singularity Summit in 2006 was really the turning point for funding and recognition. Kurzweil's name and $350k of paypal guy Peter Thiel's money really got things going. Well, the number of donors doesn't look like it really increased but the handful of big donors started then. Thiel alone has donated over $1.6M so far. The top 10 donors donated $4.3M, roughly 80-90% of all donations in the last 5 years.

This guy did a writeup but is a few years old http://lesswrong.com/lw/5il/siai_an_examination/

EDIT

Back to the actual fanfic after the wonderful Legacyspy derail. Watson's 2-4-6 Task is an example of confirmation bias not positive bias. Confirmation bias is an accepted term in psychology and other sciences. Positive bias is a meaningless neologism Yud invented and propagated on LW and HPMoR.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 27, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

I just Googled and it is indeed named "confirmation bias" and not "positive bias". Does Eliezer just call it by his own invented name, or does he also claim to have come up with the concept himself? What's his purpose for calling it by a different name?

Yud coined a neologism! He even wrote a whole blog post about it. http://lesswrong.com/lw/iw/positive_bias_look_into_the_dark/ Actual distinction between confirmation bias and Yud's thinking? Who knows.

Why does he do this? Who knows. Perhaps it makes him feel special? Per his autobiography, he also made up Algernic, Unrationalization, Countersphexist, and Singularitarianist. Plus neruohacking, his anime power of rewiring his brain (to avoid those unpleasant teenage emotions you see). He likes making up terms. See also AI go foom.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 27, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

Those sound uncannily similar to Scientology or Mormonism jargon, or "New Age" beliefs in general. I can see where the cult leader comparisons are coming from.

Ahem, the preferred LW term is phyg. No cults here, no sir.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

su3su2u1 posted:

Umm no. Yud took a classic experiment designed around confirmation bias and decided that he wasn't going to call it confirmation bias, because reasons.

You see, in the classic test you might see 2-4-6 and decide the rule is that the pair has to increase by 2

So seeking to confirm your hypothesis you would give what Yud calls a positive example of your hypothesis you test 10-12-14 and its right,etc. It is all a related failing.

He decided that literally a well attested textbook example of confirmation bias is really about something different, and he did nothing to develop or test the idea and then splooged out a blog post (because mental masturbation, see what I did there?).

Yeah. Pretty much. Yud likes doing this, look for it to continue!

Moreover, the majority of people DON'T do what Hermione did and exclusively guess confirmatory sequences without ever changing their hypotheses. It is true that most sequences are confirmatory of the hypothesis being tested, it appears we are wired to think this way per classical confirmation bias. However, most people will change their hypothesis from one guess to another to narrow down the rule. Generally, roughly half of all guessed sequences are disconfirming examples of the hypothesis used for the previously guessed sequence. (e.g. Hypothesize even number: guess 4-6-8 -> Hypothesize odd numbers: guess 5-7-9 -> Hypothesize increasing numbers: guess 1-10-199 -> etc. All guesses confirmed the current hypothesis but disconfirmed the previous hypothesis as the hypothesis iteratively changed. It probably helps that the 2-4-6 protocol has the subject write down their hypothesis when they make a guess.) Most people still don't get the correct 2-4-6 rule, but Yud's Hermione does remarkably poorly.

See: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KkYuCvLa551olBg

JWKS posted:

A reasonably close-to-canon portrayal of Hermione so far. Can’t wait to see how she gets caricatured or straw-womanned in the service of showing off Eliezarry’s wit and wisdom.

So here is example number 1. Hermione is lobotomized to illustrate confirmation positive bias.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 27, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

quote:

"- and after we were done giving him all the sweets I'd bought, we were like, 'Let's give him some money! Ha ha ha! Have some Knuts, boy! Have a silver Sickle!' and dancing around him and laughing evilly and so on. I think there were some people in the crowd who wanted to interfere at first, but bystander apathy held them off at least until they saw what we were doing, and then I think they were all too confused to do anything. Finally he said in this tiny little whisper 'go away' so the three of us all screamed and ran off, shrieking something about the light burning us. Hopefully he won't be as scared of being bullied in the future. That's called desensitisation therapy, by the way."

No. No it is not.

Desensitization therapy is about training a practiced relaxation response in to the phobic stimulus and gradually increasing the stimulus hierarchy. The point of the therapy is to train a non-panic response to whatever the phobia is. Scaring the crap out of someone isn't useful if they aren't trying to control themselves and train another reaction. The most charitable you could be is to call this a sort of attempted classical conditioning. But really this is just bullying, whatever any consequentialist may want to call it.

Also it is usually spelled with a 'z' in the US. I guess this is the UK localization?

Bystander apathy and consequentialism are correctly used, so 2/4 on correct terminology for this chapter so far. 3/5 if you count naming quark flavors, though I have to say I haven't seen truth and beauty over top and bottom in years.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 30, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

petrol blue posted:

I think Yud is referring to flooding, but who the hell knows with Yud.

Nah, the idea behind flooding is to keep going with the phobic stimulus till the patient's panic/adrenaline reaction has run its course and they are too tired to continue to respond. Theory being if you sit around not reacting to clowns or whatever because you're too tired to move for long enough you'll realize the phobia is irrational and clowns are actually harmless. Also does not work very well without patient consent.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 30, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

SolTerrasa posted:

Almost all of Yudkowsky's good work is a popularization of Kahneman with the serial numbers filed off, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was true.

E: you can see some of the "serial numbers filed off" effect in that frustrating tendency to rename things that already have names.

With Yud there is a lot of 'serial numbers filed off'.

But not just renaming stuff--there's a lot more.

There's also using obscure terminology or spelling for the hell of it (Bayes's Theorem vs Bayes' Theorem, truth and beauty quarks vs top and bottom quarks). And then there's misusing technical terms with agreed definitions for something else entirely, like with desensitization therapy. And of course there's just plain wrong science (quantum Hamiltonian, faster than light signaling).

So far the majority of the scientific or technical terms have been wrong in one way or another.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 30, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Or ramen. Have to distinguish the oriental from the beef from the chicken

Though I guess you could say blue, red, and orange
How do you make non-oriental ramen?

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 1, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

su3su2u1 posted:

I won't link to my full review again, but yes, I read the whole drat thing and I think there are probably less than 5 unambiguously correct technical references in the entire story. Out of several dozen.

I'm bored. Let's count!

Chapter 1
No science

Chapter 2
Violated Conservation of Energy via cat transformation- No. Not necessarily violating conservation of energy. Could be a very heavy cat. Or the mass energy turned into some other non-mass energy that you can't see. Etc.
Conservation of energy implied by form of quantum Hamiltonian - No. Non energy conserving Hamiltonians can be computed just fine.
Rejecting [Conservation of energy] destroys unitarity - No. Non energy conserving Hamiltonians can still preserve unitarity.
and then [rejecting unitarity] you get FTL signalling - No. Faster than light signaling has nothing to do with this, as far as I can tell.

Chapter 3
Bystander effect
- Yes and no. Defined and example of original study noted correctly. Application of bystander effect to nation states less than clear.

Chapter 4
Seigniorage - Yes. Defined.
Arbitrage - Yes. Defined with example
Fermi calculation - Yes. Defined with example

Chapter 5
Fundamental attribution error - Yes. Defined with example

Chapter 6
Natural language understanding - No. Bag does not demonstrate natural language understanding.
The planning fallacy - Yes and no. Defined correctly. Context example of McGonagall saying a first aid kit is unneeded is not actually an example of the planning fallacy, since no duration planning takes place.
Bayes's Theorem - Bayes' Theorem is the usual spelling for historical reasons.

Chapter 7
Naming schema - No. Not a schema.
Reciprocation theory - Yes. Defined with example

Chapter 8
Truth and beauty quarks - Top and bottom typically used
Positive bias - No. Example given but bizarre and inaccurate rename of confirmation bias
Bystander apathy - Yes. Previously defined in bystander effect discussion from Chapter 3.
Desensitisation therapy No. Example of bullying with a conventionalist view given but totally wrong. UK spelling.
Consequentialism - Yes defined and example given.

Huh. Pretty much any technical term is either explicitly or implicitly defined, sometime both. If no definition is given it is probably misused, but even seeing a definition or example isn't a guarantee that it is correct. Yud does pretty terrible on physical sciences but has a much better record for the social sciences.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 1, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

NeoAnjou posted:

Don't assume that anything spelt with an 's' is British English, and a 'z' American.

The OED (Oxford English Dictionary), tends to favour 'z' spellings for certain British-English words which other British authorities spell with an 's' - e.g. desensitize (and hence desensitization).
Apparently 'consequentialism' is spelt with an 's' even in American English (Other Sources Here).

Although, in the spirit of nit-picking that this post seems to have inspired in me, you haven't actually stated that it isn't the American English spelling!

Technically correct is the best kind of correct!

Or I saw red on the firefox spellcheck and stopped thinking. >.>

In the spirit of nit-picking I welcome any and all corrections/comments/miscellaneous persnicketiness. Besides, its what Yud wants: a list of all the errors without reading the 'sneer culture' at somethingawful or on su3su2u1's blog. Or the sane people on the internet everywhere.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 1, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

NeoAnjou posted:

I *think* (not being of South East Asian extraction) that it's not acquired the same offensive nature in the UK. But it's not a commonly used word - it definitely has an archaic feel or the Victorian times and 'Orientalism', the art movement.

Having said that, 'Oriental' doesn't feature in the Office of National Statistics list of census racial categories in England/Wales/Scotland/N. Ireland (see here), and most of the references in a quick Google search (for 'oriental offensive uk') seem to be people being confused as to whether it is offensive or not.

So it *may* be badly applied 'trying to be British'. Maybe.

Yeah, I think you've got it. British English Asian = from the Indian subcontinent, so you need some other word for people from the rest of Asia therefore Oriental. Americans decide Oriental (as an ethnic group) is offensive, Brits remain confused.

The bigger question is why Yud thinks Wise Old Men should be stereotypically Oriental/East Asian and not Merlin-clones.

petrol blue posted:

The food of peak :effort:, in every sense.
Somehow Tesco generic ramen removes all of the msg and artificial flavoring that makes cheap instant noodles have any flavor at all. Truly peak :effort: on display.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

platedlizard posted:

There's actually a number of species that can produce fertilize hybrids, my favorite being the cross that produced the Red Factor Canary

(What Wikipedia does not say is that they were developed in Germany in the 20s & 30s as part of the eugenics movement :godwin:) Not only are they different species, they are also different genera. Still made fertile Nazi hybrid birds for the Reich!

Another common hybrid is the Bengal cat, which is bred from domestic cats and leopard cats, which are a small species of wild cat. The resulting hybrids can be bred back to their parent species or bred to other Bengal cats.

And that's without going into the hosed uppness that is Ring Species--some weird poo poo going on there.

Speciation is incredibly complex and just because two animals have fertile babies doesn't mean they're the same species. Hell, with ring species the exact opposite can happen.

Yep. Also the best known example, mules, have been known to be fertile on extremely rare occasions since antiquity. From commentary going all the way back to Herodotus, literally the very beginning of the Western history.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 7, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

petrol blue posted:

Yudd was the kid who bit the second grade teacher for not knowing what logarithms were.

Fixed that for you!

In other news, the illegal amazon listing of the first 17 chapters of this book has sold 3 copies in the last 20 days, for gross sales of some $24 minus shipping fees and printing costs. I really wonder who the hell is bothering with that. Selling all of their remaining copies may be a whole $20 of profit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00E640ZAG

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I wouldn't call it a core tension, exactly, since the decision's made in the first book and only referenced once afterwards. A lot of people seem to dismiss Slytherin as "the bad guy house" and forget that it's also the house that the main character was equally qualified to join, personality-wise.

Well, it is a point that Rowling references multiple times in subsequent books