Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Added Space posted:

Not impossible. There could still be things like duplication errors that could 'break' one copy of the wizard gene. The rate would be fairly low but still detectable over a wizarding population in the tens or hundreds of thousands.

It's not out of question that squibs married into the muggle population and passed down their wizard gene. There are a bit less then 700,000 births in the UK every year, and only single digits of muggleborns. I'm not a statistician but I'd guess that's actually low.

Eh. If you're saying the random mutation rate of an individual gene is fairly low you mean insignificantly tiny I would agree with you. Something on the order of 1/10,000 or so. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2836558/

The likelier explanation is that squibs are nearly all illegitimate bastards.

Rowling wrote a children's book, so 40 students/year for all of the UK causes all sorts of problems. But to your observation... ~10 muggleborns out of a population of 700,000 births a year is impossibly low. That recessive gene should be extinct within generations without something wonky going on, or a whole bunch of wizards are not getting hogwarts letters like they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Dienes posted:

Hell, wasn't a squib being able to see dementors that muggles couldn't critical to Harry's defense at the start of book 5?
http://web.archive.org/web/20110713111531/http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/extrastuff_view.cfm?id=19

SQUIBS

I have been asked all sorts of questions about Squibs since I first introduced the concept in ‘Chamber of Secrets’. A Squib is almost the opposite of a Muggle-born wizard: he or she is a non-magical person born to at least one magical parent. Squibs are rare; magic is a dominant and resilient gene.

Squibs would not be able to attend Hogwarts as students. They are often doomed to a rather sad kind of half-life (yes, you should be feeling sorry for Filch), as their parentage often means that they will be exposed to, if not immersed in, the wizarding community, but can never truly join it. Sometimes they find a way to fit in; Filch has carved himself a niche at Hogwarts and Arabella Figg operates as Dumbledore’s liaison between the magical and Muggle worlds. Neither of these characters can perform magic (Filch’s Kwikspell course never worked), but they still function within the wizarding world because they have access to certain magical objects and creatures that can help them (Arabella Figg does a roaring trade in cross-bred cats and Kneazles, and if you don‘t know what a Kneazle is yet, shame on you). Incidentally, Arabella Figg never saw the Dementors that attacked Harry and Dudley, but she had enough magical knowledge to identify correctly the sensations they created in the alleyway.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

i81icu812 posted:

Tunicate posted:

Rowling's statements about this, from a fan site that collected them

Wizarding Genetics: More Complicated Than Mendel!

“A Squib is almost the opposite of a Muggle-born wizard: he or she is a non-magical person born to at least one magical parent. Squibs are rare; magic is a dominant and resilient gene.” – jkrowling.com

“How does a Muggle-born like Hermione develop magical abilities?”

“Nobody knows where magic comes from. It is like any other talent. Sometimes it seems to be inherited, but others are the only ones in their family who have the ability.” – Barnes and Noble interview, March 19, 1999

“How can two Muggles have a kid with magical powers?”

“It's the same as two black-haired people producing a redheaded child. Sometimes these things just happen, and no one really knows why!” – Online chat transcript, Scholastic.com, 3 February 2000

Magical inheritance as described in the books is clearly not Mendelian and requires either some sort of Trinucleotide repeat mutation mechanism or a more complicated multiple gene interaction as described on sugarquil. Either way requires more than a few hoops to jump through, and Rowling would have been better off saying 'its magic!' and leaving it at that.

Also red hair does not work that way! :bahgawd:

Don't worry, you can rest assured that Yud deals with magical genetics in the best, most logically consistent stupidest way possible when we finally revisit that plot point in 50 chapters.

A longer discussion about how HP genetics could plausibly work from nearly a year ago!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

It's already been established that this author is a mild racist, I'm not going to flip out every time he says something a little stupid.

I mean isn't pointing out and mocking the stupid the whole point of this? Otherwise reading and summarizing hundreds of thousands of words for its plot seems incredibly painful

The author couldn't be bother to reread this dreck once he finished writing it to edit it, so why should you bother to read it seriously?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
i found yuds authors notes archived

yud's authors notes posted:

Author's Notes for Ch. 27, 'Empathy':

Warning: Potential spoilers ahead if you have not read up through Ch. 27.

Erm, I have to say I'm a bit horrified by some of the reviews celebrating the death of Rita Skeeter. I know I didn't exactly write her as a sympathetic character, but consider yourselves lucky that the story's tone at this point didn't allow it, or Rita Skeeter would have two daughters attending Hogwarts, and the next scene would be Professor McGonagall calling them into her office to let them know that their mother went out on an assignment and never came back. I actually wrote some of that as a possible Omake. Maybe I'll finish it later.

Another possible Omake would be the scene in Mary's Room from Rita's point of view, her slight nervousness when Professor Quirrell mentioned having sealed the room, her sudden start when Professor Quirrell talked about tiny Animagi, her relief at hearing him say he wouldn't test for it, coupled with a growing fear that he already knew and was toying with her, followed by the shock of realizing that she had, somehow, been fooled by evidence that should have been unforgeable, knowing that she had to run before Lucius found her, run as fast as possible, but she was trapped in the room, listening to the words that Professor Quirrell made Harry repeat and suspecting with growing horror that she'd been righter in her article than she knew, her sudden frantic crawl as the waitress knocked and she realized that the door was about to open to let her out, and then her life ending so quickly that there wasn't even time to shift, just a single instant of realization before the crunch.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive, maybe it's just that as the author you live the life of every character in your stories, but I don't think Rita Skeeter was bad enough to deserve what, um, I did to her.

Some other readers have been saying a very silly thing, so let me state the following: It is possible that the human species has gotten through its entire history to date without a single professional editor ever sending back a story with a comment reading "This villain is too strong and needs to be weakened." Please bear this in mind when writing your own stories.

I know some of you really hate OCs, but Lesath Lestrange was inspired by Jeremiah Lestrange from "His Own Man" by Crunchysunrises, so he's not really original; you might consider it a sort of fanon, if that helps.

Those of you who are all like "Lily Evans was a good and virtuous woman and she broke off her friendship with Snape because he was studying Dark Arts, and she didn't go anywhere near James Potter until he stopped bullying", remember, Harry only knows the information Severus gave him. But also... a plain and poor boy is a good friend to a beautiful girl for years, and loves her, and pursues her fruitlessly; and then when the rich and handsome bully cleans up his act a bit, she goes home with him soon after... considering just how normal that is, I don't think you're allowed to write it and not have people at least wonder.

Nikara wrote in a review: "Harry reminds me so much of the kids at the gifted summer camp that I work at. His plots and the way that he speaks sounds so much like a CTY kid that it's almost uncanny."

Gosh, I thought to myself, who could these mysterious "CTY kids" possibly be -

No, I lie, I already knew that "CTY" was the Center for Talented Youth at John Hopkins, and a "CTY kid" was a high scorer on the tests they administer as part of their nationwide Talent Search program.

So, um... good call, that.

Included mostly because I found this funny. Yud WAS an obnoxious CTY kid.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Xander77 posted:

I think this thread needs a constant "how thing actually works IRL vs how Yudkowsky thinks it works" section. Specifically one for the bullying theme, which is wrong on... I don't even know how many levels, but also in general.

There's a post tracking all science stuff that's updated through chapter 14. Please feel free to contribute, the current pace is hard to keep up with.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702281&pagenumber=32&perpage=40#post449678916

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 9, 2017

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Of course, Harry's super transfiguration power works fine with his pop-sci understanding of physics. No need to actually put in the effort learning how to solve the equations (or even to know what the equations are).

It's not an isolated incident - later on in the fic he gets another superpower because magic rewards ~rationality~ without requiring him to actually know how to do anything.

I think maybe the author has too high an opinion of what rationality can let people do....

I feel compelled to point out that a normal understanding of physics would suggest the molecular mismatches in the partially transfigured object would cause something very weird to happen at the interface between the two materials. Something between the item falling apart and the item exploding due to the steric mismatches, depending on exactly how transfiguration works and what the materials are.

Of course this is all foreshadowing for how yud's new superpower will defeat voldemort im sure.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

ewe2 posted:

I must say I'm impressed with all your persistence in reading this tripe. I don't remember reading it back in the day although I remember the Basilisk, but I gave it a go today and I've gotten through about halfway and it's just classic fanfic Mary Sue garbage. Literally a child acting like an adult so he can own another author's characters with SCIENCE, it practically screams I'm smart! I just didn't get the piece of paper!. TBH I find the Ender's Game explanation a good cover for just fantasising his superiority. I do think he's read more Harry Potter than people suppose, not so much plot but characterization. He seems to have taken on Harry's anger as his own but channelled it a different way. There's something clinical going on here.

Dude doesn't have the piece of paper. Didn't even get a HS diploma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Night10194 posted:

It did this exactly once but it likes to say it has that thing, yes.

Eh, its been more than once. It's just that their overall success rate is abysmal.