Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I got what they were getting at. The MIRI researcher being interviewed is an ai trying to learn. The interviewer essentially asks it to plot a course for a rocket to safely land on the moon. MIRI then explains that it's going to be a long time because they currently don't have the tools to figure that problem out, but they do have some ideas on how to solve smaller simpler problems that might help them understand more and more complex aspects of the larger problem. They explain this in a long-winded and obtuse manner and treat the interviewer like an idiot because they are elitist jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Meanwhile we put a man on the loving moon while still at a stage were Katherine Johnson was checking the trajectories by hand. Because one incredibly smart woman can just flatly calculate their 'impossible' problem with her brain. These idiots make me furious with how little they know about the things they think they know.

Well, admittedly, trying to get a machine to essentially do that by starting from scratch and learning on its own is their goal. To me that sounds like a great way for an AI to develop all sorts of unsound theories using only itself.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Stay focused guys. Yud. Harry. The bad superhero thing never happened.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I figure the sorting hat is more like a sophisticated mood ring, or at best a talented cold-reader, with a little detection magic and centuries of experience to help it out. Like a good fortune teller it probes a little bit and then tells you what you want to hear. Shocking that all of the aristocratic pure-bloods are all obsessed with skullduggery and nothing else, yeah? The hat is there mainly to help place outliers and the undecided. If you already know where you're going, it's not gonna stop you.

E: when the hat is stumped or doesn't like your stupid face, Hufflepuff.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 14, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

In a just world, the rest of Ravenlclaw would be plotting against Harry right now. If nothing else, he'd be in for daily swirlies for the next couple of years.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It would be great if Gandalf here were like "listen you little poo poo, me and Severus are old buddies, I know how he runs things and I trust his judgement far more than a ten-year-old's. There's a command structure here and you will respect it from now on or you will be expelled. Turn in any cool magical poo poo like that Time Turner we loaned you and get the gently caress to class!"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I think JK is doing it on purpose, or this is a dummy script to generate furor. Who cares? It's her property. She deserves a chance to poo poo on it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

No that's the perfect time! That's how Magic Hitler came to be in the first place!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I think Elizarry isn't considering that Dumbledore may be telling the truth about needing a shady potions professor. Harry doesn't know poo poo about magic, so maybe if the potions class was taught by a kindly old soul, Hogwarts would explode violently on the next lunar eclipse.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Death Bot posted:

Where's the practical part of his brain to point out that arguing with a room full of merlins is a bad idea

They won't do anything bad to him. Their rational desire to harm Eliezarry is overwhelmed by their irrational desire of not wanting to do reams of paperwork to satisfy the Ministry of Magic after an "incident" involving the boy who lived.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

So are there nerds who work on optimizing the bots to get better, more sensible strings of bizarre gibberish? That could be a fun and interesting hobby.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I figure I would do my due diligence for the sake of the community, or whatever, so I downvoted this post. Note that I'm a newer user of Less Wrong who isn't very familiar with Mr. Newsome's history of shenanigans on this website. So, I didn't have an automatic reaction to cringe, or something, when I encountered this piece. I downvoted this post based upon its own, singular lack of merit.

Mr. Newsome, here is some criticism I hope you appreciate.

Nothing about this first chapter here is enticing me to care about 'post-rationality', whatever that is. Eliezer Yudkowsky took a premise everyone was familiar with, and turned it on its head during the first chapter. He used a narrative format that was familiar, and actually wrote well. While the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality didn't immediately begin with a introduction of what the "methods of rationality" as applied to magic would be, per se, there was enough of that in the first chapter to keep others reading.

In hindsight, Mr. Yudkowsky couldn't have expected his fan fiction to become so popular, or so widely read. The fact that it has might be biasing me into thinking that his first crack at writing the fan fiction was better than it really is.

Anyway, it seems you're trying too much with this piece. Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is the premise everyone here is familiar with, but you've done more than just turn it on its head. You've turned the very idea of one having a deep familiarity with the tropes on Less Wrong on its head. The first paragraph is just a blast of memes; I'm familiar with all of them, but I don't understand what all of them mean. The first part is incoherent, and is signaling that you have the knowledge to mock (in jest) the Less Wrong community. That in itself isn't clever, and the rest of the piece isn't clever enough as a parody to keep us, the readers, engaged.

I perceive the second part of this chapter to be a bit funny, but it doesn't build upon anything to get me to care. I don't believe it will be sustainable to have Potter-Yudkowsky be aware that he is in a meta-fan-fiction. If the protagonist confronts you, the author, as the controller of the world he is simulated within, he can at best only engage with a caricature of yourself as you've written it. It's difficult for me to think of how you would handle that without it becoming boring, lest you're very talented, and creative. If Potter-Yudkowsky realizes he can use his awareness to gain superpowers, that destroys the suspension of disbelief in the fantasy world the reader immerses themselves in quickly, which would also be boring. Finally, based upon how this chapter has played out, it would be difficult to maintain great continuity into the next chapter, which I would personally find frustrating, and challenging, as a reader.

This reads as the first part of some absurdist fiction. Still, it contains little foresight. The fact that you were drunk at the time this chapter was written, and posted, leads me to suspect that such an aspect made you want to post something which would be entertaining to yourself, but wasn't crafted with much thought to how it would be received by whatever readership you were hoping for.

In short, this doesn't strike me as a direct parody of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, but a parody of the rationalist community itself(?). That's such an odd thing to do that I find it off-putting, and I consider it this piece's undoing.

An AI in the future is running a simulation of this person's existence solely to dump their books over and over for eternity.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Hmm, yes. The entitled twat who has been causing non-stop disturbances and breaking rules constantly while being a smug poo poo about it all is in no need of rules and structure to instill discipline, unlike the lesser children. Go on, Professor McGonagall, tell me more of your revolutionary teaching technique!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I really like that Harry's snappy comeback to Hermione's victory is essentially, "well books are dumb, so I didn't care if I won anyway!" I can imagine him stamping his petulant little feet in humiliated rage.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

SolTerrasa posted:

My assumption is that this is intentional on the author's part. Part of the premise of the AI alarmism that Yudkowsky promotes is that all the smart, well-studied, and experienced scholars in the field are deeply and fundamentally wrong about basically everything; the parallels are too obvious to be coincidental.

Yud may be slightly correct here. Mankind is still figuring out what the gently caress is even happening right here, right now, let alone planning and predicting future outcomes of lines of inquiry. The scientific method is managed at the final level by humans, who are notoriously unreliable witnesses, easy prey for inherent flaws (or "working as designed" shortcuts) in the brain, and basically working in a giant uncoordinated clusterfuck that poorly shares information and rewards competition between teams working in the same field There's government, corporate, religious and cultural factors that hamper or skew plenty of research fields, etc. All of those errors, assumptions, biases, et al. will build up over time despite the best efforts to eliminate them.

If there's one thing we can be assured of, it's that Man has an infinite capacity for stupidity and hubris. It's dangerously easy to become myopic and miss a disaster growing right in front of you. I don't think Yud has any legitimate answers, nor do I really think there's much you can do about the situation currently other than hoping somebody spots an error here, reruns an old, well-established test there, whatever, and spots something and fixes it. It's like editing text, but you have millions of people doing it all at once and the copy is infinity pages long.

This is my completely uneducated and sleep deprived opinion. Or something.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Science started about the time primitive hominids tried doing the same thing multiple times with a conscious desire to learn about the results. Chipping bits off of flint this way instead of that way made a knife sharper, so you try making more knives that way, and hey it wasn't a fluke! Figuring out the complicated steps to building a successful fire from scratch was some dedicated experimentation. Science has gotten a lot more organized since then, but the basics have always been in our nature.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Maybe Yud decided that the map seems like a "Slytherin" sort of thing to make, so obviously it is the only possible source, following the strict disciplines of logic.

Silly original author, why you make so many mistake?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

inflatablefish posted:

If only Yud listened to his side characters when they try to tell him things...

I figure Yud is repeating or paraphrasing things that normal people have said to him in real life with lines like those. Since the main character is the author, they both misunderstand or dismiss the criticism of their behavior or genuinely helpful advice. They both retreat to a fortress of smug when some plebe says something that rattles their worldview.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

What was the point of Snape asking about James' bullying and then getting mad when Harriezer answer? He doesn't like that Harry called Lilly a gold digger? I don't understand the point of that conversation.

I think Snape just wanted to feed Harry enough info so he would come to the realization that his birth father was tool. It's more painful if it seems like Harry's opinion rather than just being told the guy was a jerk. Classic manipulator poo poo.

You're right, Snape is mad. He wasn't expecting Harry to "realize" both his parents were dicks. Snape is upset that a 12 year old dared impugn the honor of his dead creepy obsession-waifu. I expect this is how Yud reacts when things don't go as planned;
shutting down, getting angry and lashing out.

Like Stephen King said, "write what you know." That's why most of his books are about authors getting run over by vans.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Velius posted:

Dorotea Senjak

You can't fool me fantasy author! I know the name Dorothy Smith when I see it!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm always the idiot who likes the character everyone in the fandom hates. Shinji in Neon Genesis Evangalion? Carth Onassi in KOTOR? Boring Psychic dude/ and Ashley in the first Mass Effect? This guy. What's wrong with a character that has issues and really isn't into whatever the setting's bullshit is?

Sometimes you need a guy that isn't thrilled that he's piloting a twenty story tall biological robot inhabited by the spirit of his dead mother in order to fight literal angels sent by God to enact His final judgement. I sure as poo poo wouldn't be pleased with that situation, especially at 15, or whatever.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Counterpoint: teenagers in school

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Haha!
So, two teams were coordinated and had a plan and the third team actively encouraged non-coordination and had no real plan. The forces were all roughly equal strength as well? At least Yuddy Pottowski didn't win. His force should have been broken by Hermione's feint, really.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Monocled Falcon posted:

One kid, playing dead til some other players pass him so he can shoot them in the back is one thing. But two entire groups of kids all falling down without really being hit, with no one finding it odd, and all of them staying completely still for an extended period. And all of the kids trusting each other despite never fighting together before?

It's magic!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

People aren't rational actors. That's the flaw.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

SolTerrasa posted:

What, with tdt? No, the problem with tdt is that it provably performs worse (or sometimes equal) on every decision theory problem than standard consequentialism, and the only problem class it performs better on requires gods to exist. Yud just happens to believe in inevitable AI gods, so he likes it.

Well, I know less about this stuff than Yud does, so I'm outta my depth. What the gently caress do you even use decision theory for besides robots?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I always like to note that Vancian magic is such a pain in the rear end that not even the fictionalized D&D novels ever gave it more than lip service.

Vancian magic in Vance's Dying Earth stuff is baller as gently caress. You can only cram so many reality altering/bending, hyper-complex math equations into your brain before you risk permanent damage. So you learn to temporarily retain the few you need (eventually learning to cram in another one or two with experience) and discharging them from memory when they are used. Keeping "spells" ready for too long was taxing and dangerous, too. So you prepared only what you thought you'd need briefly ahead of time with a few hours of study and meditation.

E: most Vancian "wizard" poo poo was reclaiming ancient technologies and genetic manipulation, etc

EE: it also works fine as a game mechanic in a resource based teamwork game, ie tabletop RPG poo poo

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 6, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Ugh. Just post the homoerotic scenes from Ender's Game. They're less terrible than this poo poo.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Jazerus posted:

The snitch makes a lot more sense in a professional league where three things are true:

1. There are a lot of games.
2. Most of those games are high-scoring compared to the ones Harry plays in at Hogwarts because the snitch is set to a higher difficulty or something.
3. Overall points across the league is what matters, not win-loss. (This is how the Hogwarts league works, too.)

Under those conditions, the snitch is more like a nice bonus or a way to deny your opponents further score-racking.

Right. Somebody put a killswitch on fantasy cricket-rugby-footie-field hockey to avoid games that drag on for days or weeks.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Professional sports probably shouldn't be taken as seriously as they are, but sports in general (and other types of physical play) are social physical activities that are great for building teamwork, camaraderie, strength and skill. What's irrational about that?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Xander77 posted:

In high school, mandatory physical activity has a crucial function in policing perceived adherence to social masculinity standards. We're on the internet, so maybe our perception is skewed towards nerd complaining about dumb jocks, and we've been entirely desensitized to the idea of "nerd persecution", particularly when carried over into real adult life, but... it's very much a thing.

I went to a couple small high schools with surprisingly good students. If anything, the jocks encouraged my flabby, nerdy rear end during weightlifting and running. They didn't hang out with me, but that's a social thing.

I did get poo poo and harassment from stoners of all people during 8th grade PE. They even threw rocks at me.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Prism posted:

Stones, surely.

I walked into that one like the fourth lap around the football field.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dying is actually cool and good. Enjoy your life and be the best person you can, don't actively seek death, and just gracefully bow out when the time comes. Don't be a pussy.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

If I learned anything from the Men in Black movie and tabletop RPG, it's that the hot sheets (tabloids) are the thing to watch for real news. The nonsense poo poo is a smokescreen and pays the bills. Isn't it the National Enquirer known for a pretty flawless record of breaking huge affair scandals before anyone else even got a whiff of it?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It did this exactly once but it likes to say it has that thing, yes.

Ah

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Imagine a trillion independent robot minds holding a purely democratic debate on what restaurant to eat at, for eternity. That's the singularity.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Added Space posted:

He's also referencing a common Voltaire quote:

I didn't know that the nerdy novelty music guy did spoken word stuff, too.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Jazerus posted:

we're already heading toward robots to do most of the work, that's a societal transition that is very much in sight. we're going to have to grapple with changing the relationship between jobs, society, and individuals to accommodate workers as a much smaller proportion of the population regardless of life extension.

anyway yeah currently understood methods of potential life extension are not great because they often don't meaningfully extend the healthy lifespan of the individual, just the sick one. that is really not likely to be the case indefinitely though! even if significant extension of healthy lifespan turns out to be a really difficult problem, within a few hundred years at the most we will fully understand the human body and how to tweak any of its variables through genetic alteration. modern medical biology is truly only about 150 years old and the progression of our understanding in that time has been truly astounding; the rate of that progression is only accelerating, too.

we'll have to tackle all of those challenges eventually.

Thankfully I'll be dead before I have to deal with the truly harsh repercussions of all of this poo poo.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Even if immortality could be granted to everyone, not everyone could be guaranteed to receive nor desire it. Anti-vaccers are proof of that.

Death is actually p good. Think of the Grim Reaper as ribbed (lol) for her pleasure. It enhances the life experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

21 Muns posted:

I think there's a difference between accepting that death is inevitable in our current situation and accepting that death is cosmically inevitable. The odds that your grandpa with a terminal illness can be prevented from dying are about nil, but accepting that doesn't mean accepting that that's the ultimate destiny of everyone.

Even a lot of important world religions satiate the natural human desire to live forever; they just do so with supernatural aid that even works after you're dead. Eliezer Yudkowsky thinks Christians don't really expect to live forever, but I don't think a devout Christian would agree with him at all. "Here's how you can live forever" is one of the most common pitches religions make.

Either here's how to live forever, or you have lived forever and will continue doing so, this is just a brief stop that determines the next leg of your journey. It's not really incorrect do a Christian to hold the view that the spirit of a particular human has existed from Creation. He knew you before you were conceived, after all. It's just lovely that you only get one blind stumbling chance out of eternity to make the right choices in the Christian mythos.

Some rare few have no real concept of time beyond a couple generations back, though. You didn't see it, nobody you know saw it and same goes for your parents and grandparents, so it doesn't exist. The future extends about as far, conceptually. Eternity has no purpose there.