Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
The author's okcupid profile was posted recently:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699788&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post441811924

I legitimately enjoyed the Azkaban sequence in the story. Hated Hermione's death, since the story goes quickly downhill without her. I've listened to the whole thing so far via podcast. This thread will never survive long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Yeah, some young kids talk like they are 40 with a lifetime of experience behind them. I wasn't one, but my wife was having serious conversations by the age of 2. Her parents and other adults were super creeped out by it. I was a tutor a few years ago for an extremely curious 8 year old that really didn't do much but read tons of stuff all the time (he didn't care for math, so that's where I was helping him), and I could see him in a few years talking in a similar way to Harry. Not quite that bad, but comparable.

The author is definitely having a wank, but it isn't that awful. Suspend your disbelief a bit and its much more enjoyable.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

It's really easy to do this when you've got no idea who Less Wrong is, and then it's just "hey, it's to serve the purpose of poking a bit of fun at the bits of Harry Potter we usually just gloss over for the sake of the story, of course he needs to be a ridiculous smart-alec, I can roll with this".

I can see what you mean, since I haven't looked into it any more than to laugh at his okcupid profile.