Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Captain Mog posted:

I think I just don't "get" Fanfiction myself, especially the ones which take the characters are create a whole new story. Why not just, I don't know, write your own? Do you really need to have Harry Potter in your space opera about aliens? Just change the name or something.

I'm with you. I mean, I've watched films, read books, etc, and have idly wondered what else might have happened to them outside of said story. But even as someone who writes, I've never considered writing it out. Maybe it's because I'm not arrogant enough to believe that I could accurately capture the characters' voices.

Besides, I find writing my own characters, my own stories, far more satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So does this thing stick with the plots of each book, or does it go about on its own thing?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Moddington posted:

Yud is cramming his whole story into just the first year, so a few events from The Philosopher's Stone show up, but nothing beyond that.

Because I was wondering how he deals with creatures that can't exist, like Centaurs, Hippogriffs, House Elves, Giant Spiders, and Dementors. Then see him try to Port Keys, and Voldemorts resurrection.

And Horcruxes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I wish every argument Harry had would end with someone slapping him and saying, "It's loving magic, dipshit."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

. . . there are no words for this. None really.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

petrol blue posted:

Again, having not been exposed to LW, the second paragraph seems pretty decent to me: "I did a big thing that a ton of nerds love, lets see if we can raise some charity cash with it" is a statement I find hard to mock.

It's like Yud has the same sudden shifts Harry does, lurching from 'rationalist' joyless ubermensch to kinda-decent-dork. Funny that.

I think it's more of a case of him trying to have a comeback once the idea is dismissed.

"JK hates charities, and is a horrible person, because she wouldn't agree to let me publish my rip-off of her work."

If he's serious, just do the loving 50 Shades thing, and change the names and publish it that way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Seriously though, the whole "publish for charity" thing comes off as him wanting validation for this monstrosity, that way he can throw it back in any naysayers who call it the poorly written, poorly characterized, piece of crap that it is.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

su3su2u1 posted:

I think one of the games goes against the team that got the snitch, at the big fancy quidditch tournament.

Yeah, at the aforementioned Quidditch World Cup. Bulgaria's getting destroyed by the Irish, so Krum grabs the snitch to end the game to avoid further embarrassment.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

How loving annoyed are the rest of the students right now, who just want to get on with the feast?

"Goddammit, just pick a loving house already!"

-Albus Dumbledore.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

How long does this sorting ceremony go on for in MoR anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At least here you can see bits where he's poking fun at the original books. Harry and co do win a lot of points for the House Cup because of their Voldemort-related activities, and Hogwarts does give out a time travel device to kids on a very flimsy justification.

Actually, having just listened to the PoA audiobook (Stephen Fry, baby!) Hermione reveals that Prof McGonagall had to write all sorts of letters to the ministry to convince them to allow Hermione to have one for her school work. She wasn't just given one.

Sperg over