Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay this Arithmancer story is pretty cool but it's literally half a million words long and that's the sort of thing you warn someone about before they start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The book collections are kind of hilarious to look at, because you've got three kinda thin novels, one that seems about "normal" width, and then three goddamn doorstoppers. Come to think of it, I should read those again. I haven't read the last two since they were released.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For all that this thread is about discussing Harry Potter fanfiction, specifically a really bad one, someone earlier in the thread recommended Max Gladstone's Three Parts Dead, and I am super-glad they did. I read it and it was an excellent novel.

(Also, this is Harry Potter and the Eagle of Truthiness. People should read it. It's short.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also, Moody is sufficiently paranoid that he might not allow parts to be regenerated if he wasn't the one casting the spell.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Tiggum posted:

Do dementors look different to each person in the original books, or is that a Yudkowsky change?

I think that's made up, dementors look like wraith-y floating cloaks over decaying corpses, and nobody knows much more than that because if you're close enough to see details you've probably had your soul eaten. So I guess it could technically be true but the only people who know for sure are dead-ish.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was with you for most of that, but every Gordon Korman book I've read has been about teenage boys pranking and/or con art-ing their way through boarding school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Shamefully, I know the numbers and Harry Potter is absolutely in the top three fanfic by any reasonable measure. On fanfiction.net, Harry Potter is King poo poo of gently caress Mountain, there's 800k+ stories and the next contender, (Naruto) has half that. Archive Of Our Own has HP fic in third place (259k) , but the two properties beating it are 'Marvel Cinematic Universe' (352k) and 'Kpop', (319k) which are... An entire media franchise and a whole-rear end music genre. I don't know if those even count. If you ignore those the next highest seem to be Supernatural (227k) and Sherlock Holmes (131k).

None of you wanted that information but unfortunately, I'm here.