Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
When i read this years ago (as far as it had come then) i had no idea who the author was, so i never got the "this is my manifesto of rationality" context. I just thought that harry was being portrayed as a 10 year old who read more books then was healthy and had no friends, and probably aspergers. He thinks he's being all über rational and whatever but really he's just a nerdy kid who read about bayers theory of probability instead of having meaningful human interaction. Honest question: If the author had been someone else without the baggage of Less Wrong, would you still think harry was being portrayed as always being right and an author insert, or just as a flawed character?

petrol blue posted:

That or the author isn't very good at rationality :v:
This is undeniably true regardless :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Yes. Because he's trying to pull off a ten year old kid that understands Bayes without being affected by it in other ways. The author isn't making any effort to portray him as flawed - or sufficiently advanced in his area. Child prodigies exist but this one just comes out as halfassed.

Isn't he wrong about a bunch of things though, according to this thread? I don't actually know what Bayes theory is so it all goes over my head anyway, but i always figured that he had all this book-learned technical knowledge about a bunch of theories that he was more or less hopeless at applying to anything because he wasn't as smart as he thought. Hm, that does remind me of someone. I guess i can see the author insert point of view.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

I think it's more of a case of him trying to have a comeback once the idea is dismissed.

"JK hates charities, and is a horrible person, because she wouldn't agree to let me publish my rip-off of her work."

If he's serious, just do the loving 50 Shades thing, and change the names and publish it that way.

Wait, what's 50 shades of grey a ripoff of?

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

my dad posted:

It started off as Twilight fan-fiction.

Wow, i didn't think my opinion of that book could go any lower but here we are.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Either you are simulation-you, in which case your decision is meaningless OR
You are YOU-you, in which case the AI can't torture you.

Also just knowing that this problem exists puts you on the AI's radar, because the premise is that the AI will punish everyone retroactively (by clone torture) who didn't dedicate their lives to AI research to bring about the AI. But people who didn't know that they have to do that are safe, it's only the ones that know they should and don't who will (have their clones) be tortured. That's why Yud removed all references to Roko's basilisk, he imagines he's savign all those people from future retroactive clone torture by keeping it a secret.

Hope this helps :suicide:

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Zonekeeper posted:

Well it's a good thing that there aren't digital records of every single little detail of my life. Even if the computer knows about the major events in my life there are still things it has no records of and therefore it can't make a perfect simulation.

Those idiots who upload their consciousnesses and make that info accessible to the AI are proper hosed, though. (And even then the human mind isn't perfect so there will still be things missing, so they might be safe too.)

But how will the future AI be able to save you from the ultimate evil, death, if you don't sit on facebook all day and post smugly about your future in the singularity paradise.

Don't forget to think nice thoughts about the AI, and give all your money to Yud AI research or it'll know!

Killstick fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
How do i put harry potter fanfiction on my kindle?

VVVV Thanks!

Killstick fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 20, 2015