Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I guess I'll be that guy who likes HPMoR...

I get that Yudkowsky is an egotistical fool, and that it's dumb he put all of his writing talent (go ahead and quote this with "lol") into writing a fanfiction, but I still legitimately find HPMoR entertaining to read— and with interesting ideas. Yes, sure, some of them are wrong, but many of them are intriguing at least in a philosophical sense.

The sort-of "hacking the Harry Potter world" concept is fun too, and even if most of the character's actual personalities were replaced, I honestly believe that Yud is able to write characters and interactions pretty well.

I guess to summarize, I doubt any of you would be desperate to hate this story so much if the author didn't have such a big head.

Well, anyway, continue with the mocking. It's entertaining and points out some interesting things, even if I can't agree with the sentiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
If decent Harry has appeared for 2/3 chapters (including the first) and obnoxious Harry has appeared for only 1, then shouldn't the chapters with the obnoxious Harry be considered the ones written by a guest author, at least so far?

(obligatory im gay)

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

JosephWongKS seems to enjoy finding the most glowing of reviews for the worst things. It adds to the experience to hear from people who not only think this is not a horrible train wreck, but legitimately think that it is good and worthy of praise.

Does it really if there are hundreds and hundreds of these people and none of them sound particularly crazy, or at least not in a way that is humorous?

I would say drop the review copy-paste because it just detracts or adds nothing to your position, unless you make sure to cherry-pick the most insane people (have fun digging through literally hundreds of reviews).

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

On the "Let's Read: Twisted" thread, it was occasionally said that Twisted would be much improved (not "good", mind you - just substantially less bad) if Railrunner were an ordinary werewolf instead of a were-roller coaster. All the parts concerning Railrunner's claws and affinity to the moon and feral bloodlust would seem far less stupid in the context of a werewolf, for starters.

Similarly, I think that HPMOR would be much improved if Harry Potter was aged up by 5 to 10 years - a great part of my annoyance with the story so far comes from the fact that the :words: sound so unbearably jarring coming from a 10-year old. What do you guys think?

Part of the point is that he's going to bring the magic world come crashing down to its knees in one year. It would not be nearly as funny or impressive if he had spent five years doing nothing.

And much more importantly, what Added Space said.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Plus, Yud has basically straight up said Harry is Yud in this story, if I recall properly.

The complete opposite. He has insisted again and again that Harry is not him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Legacyspy posted:

What is about this story that makes people so upset? angry? IDK but clearly there is a lot of hate for it and its not clear to me why.

It's SA man. Someone's gonna hate something and if they're funny they attract a bandwagon of people to hate the thing with them. If you try, you can probably picture the thread as a parody in-itself. Some of the complaints have been so dumb, I've almost wondered if it has been.