Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I think I just don't "get" Fanfiction myself, especially the ones which take the characters are create a whole new story. Why not just, I don't know, write your own? Do you really need to have Harry Potter in your space opera about aliens? Just change the name or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I'm with you. I mean, I've watched films, read books, etc, and have idly wondered what else might have happened to them outside of said story. But even as someone who writes, I've never considered writing it out. Maybe it's because I'm not arrogant enough to believe that I could accurately capture the characters' voices.

Besides, I find writing my own characters, my own stories, far more satisfying.

Yeah, it's the same way with me. If anything, reading a good fantasy novel with great world-building challenges me to come up with my own even more. I remember back in the day when the big thing were all those stories which somehow made Cloud and Sephiroth into lovers, and I thought it was pretty odd back then, too. I was under the impression that fanfiction was mainly a late 90s/00s thing but I guess it's still going strong?

petrol blue posted:

I've made the same argument about fanfic to a good friend who writes it. He didn't really have a good answer, but I reckon part of it might be that you know there's an audience for it - 'Harry Potter-but-with-Y' is an easier sell than 'Y', and there are (presumably) a ton of sites where you can trawl for people who love 'Harry Potter but with...'.

Not to mention that even mediocre writing makes yours 'best fanfic evar' rather than 'mediocre story'.

I guess I can see the appeal with this. Aren't there some now-famous authors who got their start writing fanfic? It'd certainly make signing a book deal easier if you can approach the publisher and say "My Buffy fanfiction has like 30,000 followers and they're all excited to read my own story".

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 22, 2015