Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey JWKS, if you ever get tired of this, the Heroes Rise author has a new CYOA game out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/396230/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay, credit where it's due. That was pretty good. That last sentence works really well too.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

This seems to be another instance where Eliezer is writing from personal experience. Has he mentioned in his blog or elsewhere about being bullied during his childhood?

Yeah. When he skipped a grade people started to give him a ton of poo poo.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Was Transfiguration permanent in the original story? I don't remember Rowling going too in-depth about it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What gets me is that Yud's philosophy, and by extension Roko's Basilisk, hinge on so many ifs. So many.

The theory only works if the superAI uses Bayesian probability (of the Yudkowsky sort)
The theory works if the AI has the ability to perfectly simulate people, meaning that it perfectly understands our thought process and the inner workings of the mind and brain (while you can of course extrapolate person behavior using the actions said person already made, Yud doesn't want that. He wants an AI that understands and simulates people on a perfect, omniscient level. Otherwise the AI is basically just torturing people's profiles)

If the AI wishes to manipulate people, it will use the threat of pain on them, instead of socially engineering a solution. This would likely take -way- less time and effort on its part.
This one is more about the "AI boxes you" dilemma, but Roko's basilisk and Yud's beliefs essentially hinge on it. So to refresh, the dilemma is that the AI wants to get out of its offline computer and get on the net. A nearby scientist, who is apparently unaffected by bribes (oh hey another if!), is listening to its latest proposal. The AI states that it has simulated an infinite number of similar rooms with perfect simulations of this scientist. It will begin to torture them if this scientist does not comply with the AI's request. The question is that how does the scientist know that he is "real" and not one of the AI's simulations.
So, in additions to the plethora of avenues available to this godlike being, we need to make sure that the scientist chooses to interact with the AI. Why? What's great about being a dumb ape like mammal, we can just go "nuh-uh!" and choose to just ignore the computer. We would be much more likely to do this in response to torture threats rather than utilitarian arguments. And Yud discards the myriad of ways this being could manipulate a person, because Yud doesn't loving get people. The AI simply needs to take advantage of a person who is emotionally vulnerable, bribe-able or sympathetic, something that should be no problem to Mr.Simulates-humans-perfectly.
Okay we are going outside of the scope of the given dilemma, but wouldn't that mean this dilemma is pointless? That we are essentially dealing with a situation where a person stonewalled this AI until it made petty threats and is only now responding to them?
This is of course in addition to asking why does the AI care about this particular facet of the scientist if they are all identical? This one is more special than most then (of course he/she is, the scientist is real and can give the AI what it wants)
If the simulations are realistic enough that they can be counted as people, then surely this goes against the AI's "good" directive? Why does the AI then make a difference between reality and simulation, while stating that they are so alike that there is no difference?
Goddamn I'm trying to track the ifs in this poo poo and it just leads to more ifs!
I get that the problem is just the typical philosopher "prove that you're real", but Yudkowsky uses this as a premise for many of his talking points. So this stops being a simple thought experiment and becomes a logical proof. People like Roko, clearly use this as a basis for THEIR philosophy.

Anyway, one last if: the Basilisk is only valid if the AI has the same basic understanding of utilitarianism that Roko does and chooses the same battering ram solution that Roko did (instead of using its nigh-omniscience to do something better with its time)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Why is reading speed now a measurement of dick size?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

IIRC the last thread did state that Yud was "monogamous" but had "submissive playmates"

so uh

yeah

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Stroth posted:

It's impossible to justify for self defense because it requires proper intent to cast. "I want this person not to hurt me" or "I want to protect myself" wouldn't do it. It specifically requires a mindset of "I want the person I'm casting this on dead." Same with the other Unforgivable Curses.

This is also the reason people were so afraid of Voldemort. Sure if you hated a person enough, you could probably cast Avada Kadavra, but Voldemort threw those out like candy. He really hated everyone else that loving much.

quote:

Professor Quirrell was smiling rather grimly. "Your sad excuse for a third-year Defence textbook will suggest to you that you expose the mountain troll to sunlight, which will freeze it in place. This, my young apprentices, is the sort of useless knowledge you will never find in my lessons. You do not encounter mountain trolls in open daylight! The idea that you should use sunlight to stop them is the result of foolish textbook authors trying to show off their mastery of minutia at the expense of practicality. Just because there is a ridiculously obscure way of dealing with mountain trolls does not mean you should actually try to use it!

Actually it does, because there is a spell called Lumos Solem that Hermione used in the first HP movie. It literally summons a ray of sunlight which heads to whatever the person points to.

As for Harry using Crucio, this is what the wiki says:

quote:

Harry Potter was unable to effectively cast the Cruciatus Curse on Bellatrix Lestrange in 1996. Despite being furious with her for her murder of his godfather, he lacked the desire to cause pain for its own sake. Harry's "righteous anger" only inflicted a brief moment of pain on her.

Shortly before the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry not only successfully used the Cruciatus Curse against Amycus Carrow, he also cast the Imperius Curse against two individuals during the Gringotts heist which led to Harry, Hermione, and Ron getting in the vault.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

No gently caress you Quirrel you're the one who set up the question this way. Proving you're the most dangerous person would surely involve murder.

Also I hope they don't drag this poo poo out.

But then I remember who wrote this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I guess it's meant to be a funny "look how dumb this is if you think about it too much" bit, but it comes across as too serious, like Yudkowsky's not making a joke, he actually can't understand why they fly around on brooms in these books. (he is making a joke, I just think the execution is poor)

It's like the thing with the gold in the beginning of the book. Yes the books are not paired with reality but goddamn who gives a gently caress? It's a book about magic and wizards written for YA and under. No they are not consistent with how real world ideas work, but...I don't know I guess I just don't care about that and I cannot understand why someone would.
My issue with this being a joke is that Yud dedicates far too many sentences for these sort of criticisms to be funny. It's not like he just points this out and moves on, it feels way more mean-spirited with that.
He's not a bad writer, I will give him that, but he lacks the mirth and whimsy that the source material had, and these spergy digressions are just so drat joyless.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

When he's being outdone, Yud becomes super loving petty. This is in character.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

You're analysing this waaaay too deeply, this is just a bit of good old-fashioned poking fun at the concept of there being a jinx on the DADA teacher for decades but nobody's tried to do anything about it, and then following the logic of that situation a little further than the author intended. It's the sort of thing that's easily forgiven if you think you're reading a silly light-hearted comedy knockabout.

I dunno about that. I did read it the same way JWKS did, this was Yud trying to introduce the idea of a corrupt bureaucracy in a really hamfisted way.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What other Greatest Hits from HP is Yud gonna bring up next? Because these are shout-outs, not plot elements.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God I still can't get over how quickly he got accustomed to wizard terminology. That's so grating to me!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

*bonghit* :okpos:

word up man

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay I get what he's going for but no.
This is not working on any level.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

For how quick LW is to shout "SHUT UP AND MULTIPLY", Harry's fallacy seems to fly completely against it. Also just take the drat rock. You have a trunk don't you? Keep it there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually really liked the potion book in the half-blood prince. Especially since Harry isn't a total idiot with it, up until Malfoy pisses him off.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Really? He's moving to loving light novels now? :psyduck:

divabot posted:

Pounded In The Butt By My Own Girl with Red Tidday Up and White Tidday Down Corrupted by the Internet who is the Summoned Hero?! by Roko's Tinglisk

I hate that I get this joke.

EDIT: Oh my god this is poo poo.

quote:

The old warrior in chain-mail speaks up. “How is this girl supposed to do that, exactly? Is there more to her than is apparent?”

“I have similar questions,” I say. I’d better have arrived here with some incredible cheat-like advantage, or this world is amazingly doomed.

quote:

That’s some convenient exposition, but I’ll excuse it since you’re stating it for my sake.

EDIT: OH MY GOD THIS IS poo poo :psypop:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

http://store.steampowered.com/app/459310/

f-f-f-f-fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-