Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Honestly, I can see some reason for this to exist. One of the really off parts of Harry Potter to me was always how utterly devoid of curiosity or joy the characters were with magic. Especially Harry/hermione given their background; the idea that kids find magic so utterly dull and uninteresting that it's drudgery to learn, say, transfiguration or whatever just seemed really off key. As if it's just intended to make it more familiar to kids in mundane school.

From that standpoint, taking the existing IP and trying to "improve" it is at least sensical. But the 11 year old Godel Escher Bach loving AI theoretician Harry Potter is completely nuts. There must be some middle ground of reasonableness that doesn't lead to head conversations with hats that become self aware because of how awesome your internal monologue is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Night10194 posted:

By 'he is Yud' I mean he's Yud as he wishes he was, as many fanfiction self-inserts are. The great guru surrounded by people who have, of course, never heard ANYTHING about these fantastic new ideas!

It reminds me of the Evangelical fantasy of someone in the US who has not, in fact, heard of Jesus Christ and is super eager to learn about this strange new fellow that you see in all the Chick Tracts and similar Christian works, but then my major interest in Less Wrong is how hilariously similar they are to Evangelical Christianity, just with AI torturebots and robot bodies instead of the resurrection of the Dead and wailing hellfire.

You guys are spewing a hell of a lot of vitriol at a guy who appears guilty of, at worst, self promotion in conjunction with some relatively innocuous philosophy. If his worst transgression is writing some mediocre fanfiction filled with very-implausible-for-an-11-year-old-especially-in-conversation infodumps of (his?) ideas, which has an active fanbase, is that really worth the amount of personal attacks being leveled?

It just seems kind of the opposite of fun. If you're going to make fun of the stuff, make fun of an 11 year old off-handedly analyzing the magic bank for arbitrage opportunities or something, rather than the OK Cupid profile of the author, or whatever.

Velius fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 3, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Added Space posted:

Well, this was my favorite. PM me with what upgrade (or cheap steam game or something :10bux: or below) you want.

That is a pretty good one. Certainly better than silently making spider silk nooses extend out in a controlled fashion somehow and transfiguring them into carbon nanotubes which are really sharp and stuff to behead 30 dudes simultaneously. It doesn't really fit the silly 'power he knows not' thing, but who cares?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Night10194 posted:

Ahahahahahahaha! I'd love to see what a normal editor would do to his insane shitpile, let alone the copyright clusterfuck.

The more entertaining thing is that the epilogue so far is super unsatisfying and Yud is getting defensive. "If you can't handle short chapters wait until Sunday" because of a bunch of oddly irate reviews.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Killstick posted:

Wow, i didn't think my opinion of that book could go any lower but here we are.

"Mr. Grey" is also the name of the male lead in The Secretary, a film from which 50 shades seems at least a bit derivative.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Furia posted:

There's this movie I can't remember what it's called in which Menguele does this same thing but to produce a new Hitler. No joke.

I know it's just a coincidence, but still: gently caress Yud.

Boys from Brazil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Dorotea Senjak is a Black Company reference, which is weird because I didn't think Yud actually read anything prior to writing this story.