Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
The hyphenated name thing is a fringe liberal reject-the-patriarchy! belief. I've met a few families who did this. In one, the father was Mr. G, the mother was Mrs. S, their son was J G-S and their daughter was J S-G. It's a bit odd, but people do all sorts of crazy things with their names.

What's your spoiler policy? The latest few chapters (yes, I've read all of this) reveals a major twist that makes some of this make more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

anilEhilated posted:

Jesus H. Irrational Christ.
Alright, so putting aside the author's supposed ignorance on logical issues (because I'm really not qualified on that), let me shout this question into the void: Why Harry Potter?!
I mean, okay, magic and rationality. And it's popular and probably was popular whenever he started commiting this thing. But thinking of a ten-year-old (wizarding genius) just saying these things and thinking these things...
...It's wrong. I'd start organizing a lynch mob when he namedrops Feynman. By the time he's testing a hypothesis, the abomination should be well roasted and pitchforked to the nearest hanging tree. Tree promoted to use for redundant deaths. Whatever.
It is not human.

I'm following along to see just how much of my childhood this is going to retroactively ruin.

Not really seeing how your "Ew! My peas and carrots touched! Throw away the whole plate!" approach is better. :shrug:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

anilEhilated posted:

I'm following along to see just how much of my childhood this is going to retroactively ruin.

edit: VVV I'm not throwing the plate away, I'm putting it behind a concrete wall with a very small bulletproof window and a canister of nerve gas at the ready, horrified and interested at the same time.
I mean, let's face it, this is far from the worst that fanfiction has spawned - it's just the ridiculous pretense that comes packaged along with the usual terrible writing this time. Say one thing for fanfic authors, they just tend to pretend their "work" is art; this guy seems to think it's science.
And tell me you don't find a ten year old quoting Feynman creepy.

I'd rate the writing as above average. There's a decent sense of mystery and progressive discovery. The characters have unique and identifiable voices. Any technical mistakes are minor and don't detract from the story. There's a bit of bullshit science, but unless you're reading something specifically written to be accurate by an expert in a particular field that's inevitable. The story is too drat long, but that's not a major point for me. There's some issues I have that haven't really come up yet, I'll mention them when they're relevant. The writing is not great, mind you, just better then the average fanfiction.

I only read one Feynman book several years ago, but he seemed like a pretty chill guy who was interested in making science accessible. He'd probably be happy a child was following his work. Why would it be creepy? Because I wouldn't expect a child that young to be that well read? All that would mean is my expectation was wrong. I'm a fairly smart guy, and I've been outsmarted in small ways by ten year olds before. I didn't find it creepy, I just laughed and praised them for being clever.

To get a bit liberal, I always find the impulse to hate and destroy (or just stridently distance yourself from) things that violate someone's sense of normalcy to be questionable.

Night10194 posted:

The thing is, a story about someone from a scientific background getting involved in the wizarding world and being 'Holy poo poo this is amazing! I want to study this!' would be fun as hell! This is not that story.

... Yep, that would have probably been a better story.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Night10194 posted:

A long time ago, I saw a story about a crashed space pilot and his science buddy having to deal with weird magic using aliens that saved them. They assume at first the magic is just a superstition, until they see someone actually cast an observable spell and the scientist freaks out. Not because he's mad or having a crisis of belief, but because "HOLY poo poo YOU GUYS, if we live I am going to get all the nobel prizes for this discovery and I want measuring tools right now so I can study this incredible phenomena."

More sci-fi meeting fantasy needs that attitude. It's fun as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/Interstellar-Patrol-Christopher-Anvil/dp/0743488482

I'm reminded of a similar story, about a space traveler who was marooned while surveying a planet of reality-bending aliens. The crew that rescued him were convinced by all the nonsense that went on, but realized that if they tried to claim they found a race of magic aliens they'd be kicked out of the service for psych reasons. However, if they lied and said nothing was wrong, a planned colony would go ahead and a lot more people would be affected. So they sent in an accurate account of what they witnessed - and then warned that the planet probably had a hallucinogenic atmosphere.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
The author has stated there will be 120 chapters total. The story currently stands at 600k words. :getin:

gently caress it, spoiler for the central twist of the story:

:siren:Harry Potter? You think a baby actually managed to kill an experienced adult wizard? That's story book logic. Harry Potter is dead. We're seeing Tom Riddle, an imperfect clone/memory copy of Lord Voldemort. Mentally, this person is a sociopathic adult in their mid-30s.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 22, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

SolTerrasa posted:

Yudkowsky actually doesn't believe what you've posted above. He has a blog post and a few follow-ups about the rationalist technique called "defying the data". Basically it means sticking your fingers in your ears and saying lalalalalaICan'tHearYou when presented with evidence against a theory you consider foundational. The whole LW thing is all about loving with the numbers until they match whatever you wanted to believe in the first place.

Too be fair, what he's saying is that you can't overturn established theory based on a single result. This is correct, results need to be duplicated. However, this is what scientist already do. So in effect he's just blowing hot air.

The proper response to what Harry has just seen would be to start documenting - get a camera and start recording. He would probably be stopped at this point.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 22, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Davros1 posted:

Because I was wondering how he deals with creatures that can't exist, like Centaurs, Hippogriffs, House Elves, Giant Spiders, and Dementors. Then see him try to Port Keys, and Voldemorts resurrection.

And Horcruxes.

Anything that can speak (Centaurs, goblins, house elves, etc.) is a magically created subspecies of human. Centaurs were created to isolate and maintain their genetic predisposition towards prophecy, which they project as astrology. Harry says of house elves that whoever created them was a moral monster, but all you can do now is be kind and respectful to them. Goblins show up pretty soon, and Dementors and Horcruxes form more-or-less the basis of the plot. Any physically impossible creature is explained the same way the books do, magic breaks physics.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
From the latest chapter:

HPMoR posted:

"What else is Dumbledore to think, that you are an actor in a play whose stupid author has never met a real eleven-year-old? Only a gibbering dullard with a skull full of flaming monkey vomit would think - ah, never mind."

Guys I don't think he likes us. :ohdear:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Of course Big Yud makes his own mistake by not realizing that the second time you brought a giant pile of metal to the bank to ruin their business, they would smile, let you in, and feed you to one of the many dragons they have. You've been out-pedantic-ed, smart guy! :v:

Better solution: tell them they have a serious security problem that's apparent to a muggle and ask for a finder's fee to tell them about it. Maybe leverage it into a consultant job if you're feeling confident. Money for nothing and NOT pissing off bankers.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

The Unholy Ghost posted:

(have fun digging through literally hundreds of reviews).

Hundreds... heh heh heh...

HPMoR posted:

Words: 619,173 - Reviews: 26,119 - Favs: 15,300 - Follows: 14,119

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

JosephWongKS posted:

On the "Let's Read: Twisted" thread, it was occasionally said that Twisted would be much improved (not "good", mind you - just substantially less bad) if Railrunner were an ordinary werewolf instead of a were-roller coaster. All the parts concerning Railrunner's claws and affinity to the moon and feral bloodlust would seem far less stupid in the context of a werewolf, for starters.

Similarly, I think that HPMOR would be much improved if Harry Potter was aged up by 5 to 10 years - a great part of my annoyance with the story so far comes from the fact that the :words: sound so unbearably jarring coming from a 10-year old. What do you guys think?

Ok, I'm going to say this again - for plot reasons, he's not 10 years old. This is arguably the central story - what the heck is going on with this weird kid? This probably shouldn't bug me, but it does. You've correctly identified an element of a mystery, but you're essentially mocking your own ignorance by claiming it's poor writing. Ironically, you're committing the very fallacy highlighted here.

... Again, this story isn't GREAT, but let's mock the author for being an idiot where it's actually true.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

akulanization posted:

Considering that it's buried in multiple books and many years of lovely fanfic, I think you should probably be less forgiving of the author's :stoke:. The dialogue is insufferable and the "mystery" isn't interesting and doesn't draw you in. I read part of this train-wreck and just gave up because no one acted like a kid, and I find the whole thing is cheapened by the author's way out of his bad writing and lovely characterization. I don't care about this insufferable, arrogant, shithead of a protagonist or his molasses in January mystery plot. He could have built this "central story" gradually; instead he dumps the "mystery" in from the word go and then neglects to move it forward for like 30+ chapters. Either his characters or his plot are fatally flawed, it's just down to what flavor of paste big Yud eats.

Yeah, fair enough, the pacing is poo poo and the lead character is insufferable (oh, we haven't even SEEN the full joy of that yet). I guess it hit a personal nerve for me since I was that kid who would quote a famous scientist at age ten and got bullied for it. :sigh: Thankfully I never quite fell into the trap of worshiping my own decidedly marginal genius.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/113/Harry-Potter-and-the-Methods-of-Rationality

In the latest chapter big Yud has given his readers a challenge. Oldy Voldy has kidnapped Harry Potter and has him stripped naked and surrounded. How will our :smuggo: hero get out of this one?

I pose the same challenge with the exception of changing rule #2. Several major plot point comes from pulling a forced interpretation right out of the author's rear end, so feel free to come up with a ridiculously forced :airquote:rational explanation for why Harry now has a Gatling Gun that fires cursed cats or any other ridiculous last-minute save.

:siren: A forum upgrade of your choice will be given to the best response (provided they're not all crap).

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

froward posted:

I love love LOVE that the author wrote himself into a corner and is crowdsourcing a "solution".

I assume he has some preferred solution involving his own pet theories that he'll insist that someone replicates.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still don't get where he's coming from that McGonagall doesn't know what science means. The wizards aren't stupid, they're just for the most part ignorant of muggles advances. But there is a science to chemistry, and Potions are just wizard chemistry infused with magic.

There is, loosely, two models of science. There's the Baconian, experimentation, guess-and-check method you learn in high school. Then there's the Aristotelian, learning from approved masters, authoritarian based science which is - still relatively common, actually. Most science for most of human history ran on the second model. Arguably most science today still runs on the Aristotelian model, although the elite masters are occasionally allowed to add new standards. What McGonagall would call science is studying stuff that someone else came up with hundreds of years ago and they don't really question.

New potion? Are you mad? Half the ones we already have will turn you inside out if you're not really freaking careful, and you want to fool around with a new one? If Merlin didn't come up with it it's not worth finding anyway!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Added Space posted:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/113/Harry-Potter-and-the-Methods-of-Rationality

In the latest chapter big Yud has given his readers a challenge. Oldy Voldy has kidnapped Harry Potter and has him stripped naked and surrounded. How will our :smuggo: hero get out of this one?

I pose the same challenge with the exception of changing rule #2. Several major plot point comes from pulling a forced interpretation right out of the author's rear end, so feel free to come up with a ridiculously forced :airquote:rational explanation for why Harry now has a Gatling Gun that fires cursed cats or any other ridiculous last-minute save.

:siren: A forum upgrade of your choice will be given to the best response (provided they're not all crap).

Just a reminder, this contest runs for another 24 hours.

Davros1 posted:

I wish every argument Harry had would end with someone slapping him and saying, "It's loving magic, dipshit."

Eh, this is like saying if you're flying in an airplane you shouldn't be surprised to look out the window and see a griffin flying next to you. Responding that both fly "with their wings" doesn't really resolve the problem.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Nessus posted:

Harry roleplays an artificial intelligence (which apparently he technically is, being in some sense the product of a brain imprint) and introduces Voldemort and pals to the concepts of Timeless Decision Theory, and then leads them on to the possibility that he is currently interacting with them in a simulation or other illusion right now, meaning that if they do not free him now he will torture an infinite number of Voldemorts in HarrySim space. Having established this situation, he then verbally roleplays the scenario with Voldy until he has no choice but to let him free, at which point he scampers off naked and free.

Alternate twist ending: It doesn't work, Voldemort kills him, and then a titanic Harry-voice booms, Wrong Choice, Tom and the world erupts in Hellraiser torture devices. Because, you see, it WAS a simulation all this time!

Well, this was my favorite. PM me with what upgrade (or cheap steam game or something :10bux: or below) you want.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Night10194 posted:

By 'he is Yud' I mean he's Yud as he wishes he was, as many fanfiction self-inserts are. The great guru surrounded by people who have, of course, never heard ANYTHING about these fantastic new ideas!

It reminds me of the Evangelical fantasy of someone in the US who has not, in fact, heard of Jesus Christ and is super eager to learn about this strange new fellow that you see in all the Chick Tracts and similar Christian works, but then my major interest in Less Wrong is how hilariously similar they are to Evangelical Christianity, just with AI torturebots and robot bodies instead of the resurrection of the Dead and wailing hellfire.

I think maybe Yud views Harry as his dark reflection. Cold, inconsiderate, arrogant, and a threat to everyone he cares for.

Then again, the guy has a full-time sex slave... so yeah, probably more like idealized self image.

I thought I saw somewhere that Yud claimed that he was represented by the hard-bitten, self-sacrificing Godric Gryffindor. NOPE.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
What bothered me most about the most recent chapter is how vulnerable Voldy's body is. He said that he planned this for years, he was wielding an ancient artifact and reality-bending magical forces. He made himself a body that anyone could walk up and stab. Come on, man, at least have armored skin. Being able to body-hop is no excuse for laziness.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Nessus posted:

Well we are being asked not to hammer on this one too hard, so I'll just say that what Harrizier here is saying is kind of funny to me, because I've seen it in a lot of other people's writing. Or at least something similar, where there's this immense lengthy rationalization towards whatever the hell random shiny object or inane act people had already decided on doing. I had thought it was just a sign of bad writing or perhaps bad parenting, but I suppose it may be a sign instead of reading HP:MOR.

What would have been both more honest-seeming, and perhaps a better moment of social manipulation, would be if Harry had said with a hitch in his throat, 'well i mean, if someone had had something like this for my birth mum-- maybe--'

Just human nature, really. People always think they have a good reason for doing the things they do. Often a person who has high intelligence offers reasons that are more complex, not necessarily better. I've personally witnessed people who are smarter then me, a category I place very few people into, come up with the most nonsensical reasons for believing the craziest crap you've ever heard.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm pretty sure the whole pet thing is code for "I don't like animals and I don't want to hear you explain why I should." Similarly, when people ask me for donations for children I say "I'm sorry, I'm anti-child" just to get them to stop.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I hope he is ignorant of real fire-breathing creatures if he does.

Or asthmatic dinosaurs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9w26JXXpWU&t=4m1s

Sadly, no dragons appear in this fic.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
No, that wouldn't be conjunction fallacy since he's not saying it's random chance AND destiny. However, he is basically saying that if there's a better explanation, then that explanation would be better, which is a meaningless tautology.

Ok, when we get to the infamous part, could people please explain why specifically they have a problem? I have some guesses but I don't want to misrepresent people. And don't post now since we're supposed to be cutting down on spoilers. :ssh:

Added Space fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 9, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I found a tumblr that did a chapter-by-chapter review. Looking over the whole story with a broader lens I had to admit I was repressing certain factors in thinking this was a good story. The story has some good pieces to it, but I'm back on the hate train. This story is crap and and our hero is an insufferable douchebag.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I remember thinking when I read this part that this guy must be fairly young. Anyone old enough can remember a time before ATMs were on every block and a lot of places didn't take checks. Back then you carried around cash for most of your transactions, and for precisely that reason you always made sure to carry at least some extra around with you. Carrying a hundred dollars in cash, if you could afford to, was routine for many people. So he's made McG stupid not to show some deep aspect of human nature, but because he's young. Given the photos though I'm not sure, how old is this guy?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So, Big Yud decided to give Terry Pratchett one of the creepiest tributes I've ever read:

quote:

A/N: Farewell, Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015. Your characters were an inspiration to me, and now I can see how much they taught me about Level 1 and Level 3 Character Intelligence: that self-awareness often manifests as humor or as genre-savviness; that an inner spark of optimization can shine just as brightly through characters who are told (but not shown) to be lowly and stupid; that intelligent characters can go along with a spark of goodness and light running through a story, rather than cynicism. I wish I could have met you, and spoken with you about your methods. You were loved by so many, and surely at least one person who would tear apart the foundations of reality to bring you back; but your brain is dead and warm now, and so your story ends.

Even if the stars should die in heaven,
Our sins can never be undone.
No single death will be forgiven
When fades at last the last lit sun.
Then in the cold and silent black
As light and matter end,
We'll have ourselves a last look back
And toast an absent friend.

:yikes:

Added Space fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 13, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

IronClaymore posted:

Hey, so apparently I've been invited to some nerd dungeon (well it is literally underground, and it is a games store) where people are celebrating the conclusion of this story. I've...never been to anything like this before. I mean I've read far too much of HPMOR, and I can see why the ending of it will be a cause of celebration [edit: I haven't actually read the last 3 chapters, and I can't be bothered, so please spoil me]. Maybe Yudkowsky will actually have time to put his money where his mouth is now and actually build an AI that outdoes the Roomba (a device he disparages, but which does far more than he does to advance the cause of artificial intelligence, thanks partially to cats and Youtube). And maybe he'll finally get therapy? I hope he gets therapy.

Anyway I'm bored as hell right now and it's one of my oldest friends has invited me (and it's the same friend who introduced me to Worm, a story that is so infinitely better that I will always forgive him anything), so I'm gonna go. I'm guessing that if I wanted to fit in I'd have to buy a fedora and somehow grow the beard on my neck out in a mere 18 hours.

I guess I could always pretend to get mixed up and pretend I was a fan of Natural 20 instead. Oddly I think that would be less nerdy. Any ideas?

Edit: sorry, mixed up hyperlinks
And as I said, could someone please spoil the past 3-4 chapters so I can pretend I'm up to date when I talk with some strangers tomorrow night and so I don't have to read them myself?

Spoilers: Harry is a memory clone of Tom Riddle, who was posing as Dark Arts professor Quirrell. He tricks Harry in a stupid way to go into the third floor corridor, which Dumbledore set up as a harmless obstacle course so Voldy wouldn't just pave it in student corpses to get through. He drops the inane backstory (he's tricked everyone and is so much smarter and better then everyone, haha). The mirror is now an AI that Merlin created, Voldy tricks it, but Dumbledore was waiting for him. Voldy uses the Invisibility Cloak to duck a mirror trap, Dumby gets Lost In Time.

Voldy drags Harry through the chamber of secrets into a graveyard, where he summons the Death Eaters to surround Harry. Voldy ressurects Hermy with a new super-body, makes Harry take an Unbreakable Vow to save the world, then tries to kill him. Harry kills him and all the Death Eaters with his bullshit powers he developed in the story, then stages the scene so Quirrel will take the credit.

McG takes over as Headmistress, resolves to listen to Harry's bullshit more often.

Quirrel has a hero's funeral, Harry can't shut his drat yap because OF COURSE Harry's commentary is more important.

Dumbledore leaves a pair of letters explaining that he listened to EVERY PROPHECY EVER and decided that Harry was the least bad option among them. All the random inexplicable crap from the first few chapters was Dumby's doing Because Prophecy. Dumby gives Harry all his swag, including Randian Democracy-Is-Stupid Supreme Wizard Guy post. Harry admits he's been a vindictive idiot and gives it over to Bones (with him having a back door to reclaim it, of course). Harry announces that the Stone will be used to give transhumanist bodies to everyone (except muggles, because SCIENCE IS DANGEROUS).

Harry spills the plot to Draco, acknowledged that Harry has ruined his life in a ridiculously complete way (including killing his father because it would be politically convenient), but he still totes wants to be best buds. Draco tells him to ram it, so Harry mind wipes him. Plus side, Draco's mom was being held prisoner and they're reunited - by mom calling Draco by her murdered husband's name. Ackward...

Snape, tired of being bottom bitch at Hogwarts, throws up the deuces and gets the gently caress out.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yeah, the rat. This never goes anywhere, but for some reason in this fic Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew switched roles. It's just weird.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

i81icu812 posted:

No, I disagree. Word by word is the only way for us to fully appreciate this work.

For a while JWKS was actually losing ground and Yud was writing faster than JWKS was reviewing.

Not quite, he's been sitting on the last arc for months, including a two-week vacation to get it done. That poo poo was polished.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Darkness-That-Comes-Before/dp/1590201183

I finally remembered what MoR reminded me of. There's another series that features a rationalist hero. This guy was was raised in a rationalist kung-fu monastery and taught to see into men's souls by observing people whose faces had been flayed and then drugged into emotional states. He spends his time being a total dick to everyone around him, starting a cult, commenting on how much smarter he is then everyone in the world, and stealing his advisers' girlfriends.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 16, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I hate to burst anyone's tender illusions, but an eleven-year-old making an offhanded declaration of rape is far from impossible. I've heard it more then once with my own ears. It doesn't even have to come from sociopaths, it's well within the possible range for even moderately dispossessed children. Generally they do it for pretty much the same reason Draco is doing it here, to sound adult and shock/impress male peers.

As for the author's probable intent, to show that Draco is evil, that's something Rowling herself struggled with.

http://time.com/3644311/jk-rowling-harry-potter-draco-malfoy/ posted:

“I have often had cause to remark on how unnerved I have been by the number of girls who fell for this particular fictional character (although I do not discount the appeal of Tom Felton, who plays Draco brilliantly in the films and, ironically, is about the nicest person you will ever meet,” Rowling writes. “Draco has all the dark glamour of the anti-hero; girls are very apt to romanticise such people. All of this left me in the unenviable position of pouring cold common sense on ardent readers’ daydreams, as I told them, rather severely, that Draco was not concealing a heart of gold under all that sneering.”

A hard bitchslap like this, especially considering how dense his readers proved in accepting another character was evil, is arguably necessary.

I thought that this was the problem people were having, they were blinded by their own naive delusions of the purity of childhood. Then I remembered what Harry's reaction was. :cripes:

On the plus side for JKWS, I'm pretty sure this is the only time Luna is ever mentioned. I can provide a REALLY unpleasant interpretation of her if anyone wants. :getin:

Added Space fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 18, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

:stonk: posted:

"Cutie Mark. Dear Creator, they call it a Cutie Mark."

"…I think I just got diabetes."

"Girls, be nice."

"…Or a cavity. At least a cavity. I mean… Cutie Mark?!"

"Scylla. Down girl."

"…What am I, a dog?"

"Well, you certain like it doggy--"

"LUNA!!!"

"Fu fu fu…"

Harry dragged his attention away from the antics of his bond-mates (and Luna's strange laugh-- where did she get that from? It certainly wasn't any of them, and he was certain she hadn't laughed like that back at Hogwarts…) to ask Twilight the million-Galleon question.

"And just what is a… Cutie Mark?" Dear Creator, just saying it left him feeling like he needed to check his glucose levels!

Oh, and Luna L. is a nympho, because that's the only way Adult!Luna should ever be written.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

JosephWongKS posted:

Is that something that Eliezer wrote too?

No, no. Link if you really want it: :nws: :nms: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/14011/1/in-a-strange-land/prologue-defeat

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Oh, did I neglect to mention the above conversation contained Harry Potter telepathically communicating with his six wives while talking to a human Twilight Sparkle who was insecure about her new bust size? Also, Luna later assess the sexual desirability of said naked, injured, unconscious teens. :suicide:

e: Sorry for the derail, just felt like spreading the pain.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 18, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

tonberrytoby posted:

Yudowsky wore out all the charity.
I felt the same way as you do, the first time I encountered this story. Fairly optimistic and ready to suspend my disbelief. It never payed off.

That's pretty much how I felt.

http://su3su2u1.tumblr.com/tagged/Hariezer-Yudotter/chrono

If you look over the story as a whole you realize there were a lot of good ideas that were abandoned before being completely developed. The bulk of the story is ham-fisted "manipulation" which often ends with the characters going along with an obviously bad idea for little reason. There's also Harry preaching about science that's either shakily presented, not accepted, or made up by the author. Harry starts out as an annoying little poo poo with no friends and ends as an annoying little poo poo with no friends. The author tries to backpedal hard in the last few chapters by having Harry realize what a massive gently caress-up he's been, but after a half million words I'm no longer capable of caring. The author is intent on showing how smart Harry is, so reality bends to make his conjectures correct. This is the opposite of how science is supposed to function. The only development any character gets is to bring them closer to Harry's way of thinking. The world building the author tries to do is inconsistent and incomplete, so any attempt at cleverness comes off as the author bending his own unspoken rules to allow his pet character to succeed.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, I really want to see some Lesswrong posts on Aristotle. I mean, they have every reason to be :smug: about how he's a pre-Enlightenment guy who got a vast amount of stuff comically wrong, and yet his scientific method is an ideal fit for Yudkowsky, and HPMOR really does seem to be championing it in practice if not necessarily in theory.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/ns/empty_labels/

EY pointing out in extended, pedantic fashion that syllogisms don't map well to real life.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/te/three_fallacies_of_teleology/

A commentary on how intent is confused with result (accurate as far as I can tell).

http://lesswrong.com/lw/m1/guardians_of_ayn_rand/

Part of a too-long sequence about cults saying that Ayn Rand and Aristotle may have been good in their day, they fell into a trap of cultish behavior and time and sensibilities marched past them.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
To try to explain, imagine you have a genie.

You want to make a wish, but the genie might actively screw with you Monkey Paw style, so you wish for the genie to be obedient.

You might not have thought out you wish enough so that something comes back to bite you, so wish there were no bad consequences...

Except you're not sure how to do that, so wish for the proper form of a wish so you can get what you want without negative consequences...

You're not really sure how to do that either, so wish that you were smart enough to know what you would wish for if you smarter.

Now write an AI that is also a genie, and you're set.

e: No, JKWS, it's textbook Socratic method. Sometimes you really overreach in your criticisms. Please just stick to the actually stupid things?

Added Space fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 25, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
That article is basically the "Don't Date RobotsCatgirls!" bit from Futurama.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm not sure I see the problem in the catgirl scenario. Like, if you get tired of your furry fuckdolls, just leave the volcano lair and hang out with some of the other people in paradise.

:eng101: The problem is in this statement:

quote:

He said, "Well, then I'd just modify my brain not to get bored—"

If you're stuck in a lotus-eating Singularity scenario where you can edit your brain, motivation becomes a problem. You can delete your pain receptors, delete your boredom, delete any distracting influences. Given long enough, you'd eventually delete the thought process that could tell you why this all was a bad idea, so you'd keep deleting your mental impulses until you were down to a mindless puppet getting pumped full of pleasure signals. This is referred to as a "wire-heading" scenario.

Big Yud doesn't see this as a potential problem of transhumanism because a Friendly AI wouldn't let you do this because shut up.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I think he's saying that, given enough dust specks, people are going to lose eyes or get distracted and die. If you alter the problem in such a way, the torture does start to look more preferable. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Realistically we make similar trades all the time (although they're more verifiable). We know that a certain amount of people will be seriously injured and experience chronic pain due to automobiles - we accept that because automobiles allow our current society to exist. We know that vaccines will kill several children every year - but vaccines are mandatory for public schools because infectious diseases would and did kill a lot more children. The death penalty is applied hundreds of times every year, certainly killing one person with the hope that fewer will suffer as a consequence. People undergo painful medical experiments so that cures and treatments can be found. Sure they're usually volunteers, but I'm sure you could find at least one volunteer for decades of torture if it would verifiably lead to a reduced accident rate for the general population.