Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I don't really mind the "woah there is serious money to be made loving with the Exchange rate" because it's not like "wizard society is dumb and hasn't changed in pretty much centuries" isn't something that pops up all the time in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Stroth posted:

It is actually. Though it normally only happens to people that are completely blind. So, still doesn't make sense.

The author claims to suffer from it (at least until his buddies in a "we'll look through really early stage medical research because you don't trust the mainstream opinion on your condition" service he was hawking figured out he should just take sleeping pills a couple hours earlier than the last time he'd tried taking sleeping pills.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh man, I remember that service. Did they ever make a single dime?

Well I think big yud mentioned he got a good value on getting told to take sleeping pills earlier so presumably whatever he paid them at least.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

The Pouch of Holding shouldn’t have responded to “okane”, though. “Okane” is Japanese for “money”; for “gold” he should have said “kin”.

Well, giving everything else it's doing I'm sure the pouch responds just as well to "bag of money" as it does to "bag of gold."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I agree that if you don't know about the author, it seems like Harry is intentionally written to have flaws and biases to make him a somewhat more rounded character. Of course, that's actually just the author exporting his own flaws and biases that he doesn't think are flaws are biases, but that's part of why it managed to hook in people before it got REALLY weird, I think.

JosephWongKS posted:

It seems rather out of character for strict “rationalist” Harry to read the Lord of the Rings. Why would he deign to read a novel, one that’s not even sci-fi? What could this brilliant scientific child prodigal possibly learn from it?

I think you really mischaracterize the author's ideology a lot, which is dumb because it's got plenty of stupid bullshit to criticize and make fun of it for even before that. I think only the craziest of lesswrongers (And as crazy as Yudkowsky is, he is by no means the craziest lesswronger) would ever claim that you shouldn't ever enjoy yourself, at the very least for the sake of your mental health.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

Wizard money is handled terribly in general. Prices from the books per http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizworld/money.html

At one point yud comments that he just came up with his own standard to actually stick to because rowling had no standard and I honestly can't blame him (for that, specifically, there are many other things I can blame him for.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

This is not the part that was edited. So something was even worse and got edited out!

Someone needs to post the unedited bits.

We haven't actually seen the edited part yet, which incidentally was edited for completely different reasons.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And...this is the guy...Yud wants Harry to hang out with?

Later, Harry straight up stats that he's politically useful so he's trying to convert him into a good guy, because hey, if you could pick anyone to turn into a good guy, Lucius Malfoy's son will probably get you the most bang for your buck. A plot thread that evidently gets dropped with some of the revelations from the ending-chapter spoilers. HPMOR goes through seeming like its going to be three different stories as at it goes along and gets progressively weirder.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

It isn't that he 'doesn't respect his place,' it's that he's being presented as this rationalist supermind but he's actually acting like Artemis Fowl or some kind of Randian ubermensch.
Which in many ways could be fine, "Artemis Fowl in the potterverse" would be perfectly readable, and is why I don't really mind these chapters where it seemed like the fic was going to be "scientist artemis fowl in the potterverse" so much as I do when it eventually turns into the voldemort and voldemort junior sociopath theater.

SSNeoman posted:

Case in point, here Harry wants to bring justice to this world, but a few chapters ago he was planning to smash their economy. It's madness.
In fairness, he was thinking about how he'd crash their economy "if he needed the money" and his preferred method of bringing justice to this world is to take it over first.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

It seems like your goal is to get people to say "I am upset by the behavior of the character in the lovely fanfiction being roasted."

Personally, I think it's funny. I am only annoyed when this poo poo gets cited, yes, like it's Dianetics or something.

Yeah none of this stuff is actually why I think the fic deserves a mockthread but the stuff that DOES make me think it deserves a mockthread means I'm not REALLY inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt the way I did when I first read through it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

Because Harry has the script. Obviously. Doubtlessly this will be a future plot point.

Well that plus he's trying to convert Draco, who IS convinced it's in the blood, so going "yeah muggle science can analyze inheritance of biological traits, pretty useful huh" doesn't actually require Harry to believe it at all.

Also it is a future plot point, but rather they actually test it after Harry goes "wouldn't you like proof to be able to rub in all the non-deatheater's faces?"

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 20, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Luna was in Ravenclaw and she was one of the warmest characters in the series, though.

The hat didn't say that Ravenclaw as a cold house, it said that Ravenclaw would strengthen Harriezer's coldness.

As a sidenote: I'm pretty sure that Rowling has said that under not Voldemorte influenced circumstances Ravenclaw is actually the house that produces the most dark wizards.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

In the books, when Harry asked the Sorting Hat why it put him in Griffindor, its response was basically, "Because you told me you didn't want to be in Slytherin." Essentially, the sorting was not about where you deserved to go so much as where you wanted to go, just with the assistance of some magical mind-consultation.

I don't think that takeaway of that was intended to be "it's all about where you want to go" as it is that where you want to go is taken into consideration.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

If the story turns out to be about Eliezarry battling with the dark side of his personality and struggling to become a better person, I think I may actually like it, even if Eliezarry reverts to being a pompous prat from time to time.

One of the many elements of the great bait-and-switch that is HPMOR, where early on it goes through seeming like several potential good stories, admittedly with their own sets of flaws, before it turns into an entirely different story with much more bizarre flaws.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Also, leaving behind a lol-random password to yourself seems like a pretty weak back-up plan. If someone is able to alter your memory, wouldn’t there be a fairly high chance that the culprit could also remove your memory of the password itself?[/b]

Well it's presumably the same password he previously mentioned having, and obliviation does seem to be a bit of a blunt instrument, so they'd need to go back all the way to whenever he first came up with the password and someone would notice a student suddenly losing a couple years (guesstimatinging when yud would probably have decided harry got the idea) of their memory.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

chrisoya posted:

Time-travelling future HJPEV is trolling doesn't-have-a-time-machine-yet present HJPEV. This does not lead to the horrified realisation that Harry was a dick all along, a resolution to be less of a dick, and actual character growth.

It's quite painful, and you can tell Yudkowsky got bored of his bright idea a scene or two in and is just throwing random attempts at humour at the page by this point. "You didn't figure it out? MINUS A ZILLION POINTS! ETERNITY YEARS TORTURE DUNGEON!"

In fairness, as he will fairly quickly discover in what is probably the best single moment in HPMOR, it's not like time-traveling future HJPEV had the option to NOT be a dick, he had to do exactly what had been done to him. There's a reason why people with time turners get told not to interact with themselves.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

NeoAnjou posted:

I don't know why this annoyed me as much as it did, but ... well, I can see the attempt at humour; but ultimately it comes across as sycophantic, and blatant lies. Eliezarry seems to have no respect for adults, and would blatantly think that anyone apart from himself was going to mess-up the site, and would attempt to explore it himself, given his proclivities, probably selling off the magical artefacts he found.

Have we reached the slowest pace yet, or does it drag more than this later? I'm not sure I've enjoyed anything since Harry woke up.

Well, at THIS PARTICULAR MOMENT he's on a "try really hard not to be a prospective dark lord" kick, so I don't think he's lying about what he would do if he found the chamber of secrets at this exact moment. If he found it the previous week, or a week from here, I'd be less charitable though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's not that time travel would be incompatible with the anthropic principle, it's that if time travel had caused a paradox that destroyed the universe no one would be around to observe, so the fact that it hasn't happened yet is not necessarily proof that time travel can never destroy the universe. We have a deflated sense of the odds of our own self destruction in the same way that we have an inflated sense of the odds of our own existence.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Experimenting with time travel should PROBABLY be a bit more scientific than "I'm supposed to do things I know I'm going to do huh? Time to Not Do Those Things." of course he doesn't actually do a proper experiment with a control or anything he just see's if he can exploit it

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think Yud's system (and in fairness, Rowling is not the best at keeping things consistent, so harry potter fanfic that looks at all beyond the scope of exactly what happens in the books pretty much HAS to involve coming up with your own system that maps as close as you can to what happens in the books) is that there are individual charms that do specific transformations, but aren't strictly speaking transfigurations, which is a general method of turning any given thing into any other thing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

If the a teacher as senior as McGonagall has so many open doubts about Quirrell’s qualifications and/or trustworthiness, why is Quirrell still employed at Hogwarts?

On the flipside, if Quirrell is trusted enough to remain on the teaching staff of Hogwarts, why is McGonagall openly undermining the students’ trust and respect for Quirrell?

Because the defense against the dark arts position at hogwarts is cursed, so anyone who wants to do it obviously has SOMETHING wrong with them, but at the same time SOMEONE has to do it because they can't just not teach the class.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Also, by the rules as given, wouldn't trolls kill themselves through self-transfigration?

I'm not 100% sure if this has been layed out in the fic yet, but the rules as given are technically only for "Free transfiguration" which allows you to magically transform any given thing into anything you want, temporarily. There also exists specialized transfiguration charms which are much more limited but often can be used to ignore some of the drawbacks of transfiguration, they might actually be permanent, or be safe for living things, or whatnot. Presumably trolls are not doing free-transfiguration but some other form of transfiguration. McGonagall doesn't teach specialized charms first because she thinks they give bad habits that make you lovely at free transfiguration, students are better off with their first day of class being full of horror stories about what happens if you don't follow the rules.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think you're not supposed to read it "Hermione won't resent being singled out" but "Hermione came pre-singled out by quirrel, so instead of another student going 'malroy shot me what a jerk' he's just a footnote compared to what a terrible person Hermione thinks quirrel is."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

All Draco has to do is to appear “strong” is to command Goyle to return the object to Neville and reprimand Goyle, on the basis that Goyle had acted without Draco’s instruction and that discipline and obedience was of the utmost importance in a Malfoy minion. This is, like, the most elementary tenet of managing personnel and public appearances. How did Malfoy go for all his fancy lessons and tutors on “how to manipulate people” (as mentioned in Chapter 7) without learning this?

It's not that he'd look weak ordering Goyle to return it, since he already was about to, it's that he doesn't want to look like he ordered Goyle to return it in RESPONSE to Ernie demanding it back, because he doesn't want to look like he's scared of a Hufflepuff.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Why should Draco take anyone’s promises on face value? Don’t the Malfoys have to maintain a public image of toughness and ferocity? Wouldn’t it hurt Draco’s reputation to concede defeat so easily?

Because he asked harry to fix the situation in the first plaace? And well, having a close enough relationship with the Boy-Who-Lived is its own sort of political win.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
There are various services to turn fanfics into ebooks. [url=https://ficsave.com]Here's one just from googling[/spoiler], not the one I used last time I wanted to do that, since that only worked for fanfiction.net, but I'm sure it works fine.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Red Mike posted:

..What? So he was irritated by authors issuing Word of God statements, therefore he decided to issue a Word of God statement himself? I don't understand how that's in any way better.

The fact that he worded it as "opinion of god" rather than "word of god" is way more consistent with an author that ascribes to death of the author describing their own interpretation of their work while recognizing it's not the only one.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

My god! Did a Hogwarts professor just suggest a safe and logical approach to learning magic? That can't be right. Surely, instead of a marshmallow, McGonnagall meant a deadly viper, to properly motivate Harry to sustain the spell long-term.

Big Yud is consistent on "McGonagall accepts no carelessness whatsoever when it comes to transfigutation." Which is pretty consistent with the actual books too I'm pretty sure? There's enough wrong with HPMOR that we don't need to make up things to make fun of.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
There is some sort of board of governors (and while Eliezarry probably doesn't know the exact structure its also generally not going to be a default assumption that a school is a sovereign entity unaccountable to literally anyone) so in theory even if dumbledore was in the way a significant enough public outcry would have them doing SOMETHING (the exact powers beyond removing the headmaster are unknown) though in practice with Lucius Malfoy on the board that's sure has hell not going to happen over Snape.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Why is it so surprising that Eliezarry didn’t get Sorted into Slytherin House? Slytherins are supposed to be “cunning” (according to the Sorting Hat’s song); impulse-driven open confrontation with a far older, far more experienced, far more connected authority figure hardly seems to be “cunning”.

Crabbe and Goyle got into Slytherin, we're basically forced to assume it's a matter of values, not actual attributes. Eliezarry's not doing particular WELL at it but I can certainly see where this might seem like more of a whiney Slytherin reaction than a whiney Ravenclaw reaction.

(And in 'fairness' Snape is saying "the vice dark-lord you're threatening to have fire me is not going to do that because he's my best friend.")

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Have you considered also filtering in Three World's Collide?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Quidditch having reasons for the rules doesn't necessarily really mean that those reasons are altogether suitable for an amateur setting... AKA the setting where he was saying they should play without it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Even though I disagree with 90% of Yud's view on the matter, yeah, I really don't see anything wrong with "Fanfiction as argument with the creator."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with a theme of a series, and in fact I would consider "fanfiction as a way to explore your philosophical disagreement with a theme of a series" about as literary as fanfiction can get. Big Yud is clearly bad at it but all this "heh clearly he doesn't GET the series :smug:" is dumb as gently caress.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Don't need to read the final four books when it's right there in book one. He even makes a decent explanation of it from Dumbledore's viewpoint here! I really don't see how you can think he doesn't get it, he just disagrees. He is in fact, bad at what he wants to do, but that doesn't mean its wrong to do it all.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Really it's something that I think, for fanfiction purposes at least, could really go either way depending on what you want to write, can't really begrudge yud for his reading of THIS particular element.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Unless I'm forgetting something it never seems like snakes are unusually intelligent in the books anyway, with the obvious exception of Nagini.

The very first bit of magic we get is a snake that knows it's supposed to be from Brazil despite being raised in captivity, and also apparently knows how to read.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's not without any evidence, the evidence is "there's a shitload of dementors around." That honestly even kind of gets played around with as once he gets the patronus off he goes "nope depressed me was basically right, I'm screwed."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Xander77 posted:

2. Ffffffffffffffuck transfiguration. As other posters have mentioned, it's not that difficult, it's not that dangerous, it's literally something they teach to children in the HPverse.

Other posters are wrong.
"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts. Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Given that it was a whole start of chapter note there were probably a bunch of people in the reviews going "wait what's this boomstick thing am I missing something."