Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Ironically, his parents took him out of school so they could lock him in a closet under the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:biotruths:

You forget the other big difference: I'm assuming you didn't post your biography online.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Yeah, the 'position of ignorance' line probably wasn't a good move, Legacyspy, goons like physics and ai almost as much as Mt. Dew.

:eng101:

Am I reading it right that the Friendly AI should have human values and responses? Because that would imply Yud believes that humans are good to each other and would never, say, try to wipe out a group they consider inferior.

Also, can someone link to the lesswrong thread, please?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
This AI is going to be a brony, isn't it?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Darth Walrus posted:

Expectation had nothing to do with it. Like most of this thread's posters, I stuck my hand in that bear trap voluntarily.

It's worse than that: we saw your hand in the beartrap and jumped right in after you.

quote:

Our species does definitely have a problem. If you've managed to find your perfect mate, then I am glad for you, but try to have some sympathy on the rest of your poor species—they aren't just incompetent. Not all women and men are the same, no, not at all. But if you drew two histograms of the desired frequencies of intercourse for both sexes, you'd see that the graphs don't match up, and it would be the same way on many other dimensions. There can be lucky couples, and every person considered individually, probably has an individual soulmate out there somewhere... if you don't consider the competition. Our species as a whole has a statistical sex problem!

But splitting in two and generating optimized nonsentient romantic/sexual partner(s) for both halves, doesn't strike me as solving the problem so much as running away from it. There should be superior alternatives. I'm willing to bet that a few psychological nudges in both sexes—to behavior and/or desire—could solve 90% of the needlessly frustrating aspects of relationships for large sectors of the population, while still keeping the complexity and interest of loving someone who isn't tailored to your desires.

On the plus side, I think his utopia involves putting everyone in a volcano. I couldn't agree more.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I sat down and thought about the best choice for ages, invalidating the benefit of choosing optimally. :ohdear:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Torture by having dust poured in your eyes!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Trasson posted:

The real solution is that anyone who says we should torture a single person for 50 years instead of everyone getting dust specks in our eyes is the person we should volunteer to torture to save our eyes.

Well, I reckon first we should punch that arsehole who keeps throwing dust in everyone's faces.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

HIJK posted:

Can't we just cut the Gordian knot here and shoot the AI forcing us to choose between torture and dust motes?

Just shoot it. Shoot it dead. Shoot it in the goddamn face.

"Look at you hacker, a pathetic... Creature... Hang on, I've got something in my eye... Give me a second..."

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I think Yud is referring to flooding, but who the hell knows with Yud.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'll have you know I'd authored several papers and books by that age, and drew pictures for them too. :colbert:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Nah, it's dodgy as hell to use here, too. Mainly because of the sort of people who do use it.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

The food of peak :effort:, in every sense.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

NeoAnjou posted:

Don't assume that anything spelt with an 's' is British English, and a 'z' American.

It's pretty much what I do! :pseudo:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"House Douche."

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"Actually that's Potter-Evans-Verres."

Cut to Dumbledore pushing Harry into a locker.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Fried Chicken posted:

He caps it with standing there covered in ash and blood, wielding a sword and standing alone in defiance against the most powerful wizard in the planet and his army.

I hadn't realised till I read this just how much Harriezer warps everything around him into a soulless joke. I get that neville is the dopey sadsack who tries, and I think Yudd does too - he just thinks that 'trying despite your limitations' is less valuable/right/worthy than 'can just do everything naturally'.

Yudd was the kid who resented the kindergarten teacher giving a gold star to the special kid who managed to tie their shoelaces.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

:patriot:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
But Harriezer knows (after five minutes in the wizarding world) enough about slytherin to know it's house strawman.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Because Jud took one look at Ravenclaw and got a massive boner, so Harriezer has to be in Ravenclaw.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

SSNeoman posted:

Harry is about to get sorted into Torture Simulation number 4564735485.

:golfclap:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'd watch the hell outta that sitcom.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I reckon you could do an actually-pretty-fun (for fanfic) rewrite of this if everything is the same up to this point, then in the first class it turns out Harry's a squib (magic-impotence), and he and Hagrid have to use their combined cunning and might to overthrow the mage-ubermensch. Bonus points if they unite the house elves, and free the goblins from their capitalist chains. :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Is there a parallel to Rule 34 for 'lulironic fanfic exists of it', or is that just assumed under 34?