Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it normal for me to look at that quote of word vomit and say "the gently caress did any of that even mean?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jesus h christ that was annoying. How drae a book about wizards and broomsticks not have a functioning bank system! Though you must wonder how many of these supposed "fkaws" in Rowling's writing are really her fault and how much of it is yudkowski putting words in characters' mouths to make them look stupid next to harry.

Also, I just thought of something from chapter 1. Why does harry still have the same squib neighbor as he did in the books? Am I to believe that a super rich scientist teacher dad is going to live in the suburbs of little whinging?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still don't get where he's coming from that McGonagall doesn't know what science means. The wizards aren't stupid, they're just for the most part ignorant of muggles advances. But there is a science to chemistry, and Potions are just wizard chemistry infused with magic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jazerus posted:

He is rich as gently caress and using his own money, the strange aspect is that McGonagall is aggressively policing his spending on minor items.

Again, Yudkowski propping up Harry by making everyone else stupid or irrational no matter how out of character it feels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress if this is not the most insufferable little poo poo to ever have to read about. You're doing the lord's work ploughing through this dreck.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Harry buying sweets made sense though considering he was never given any treats living at the dursley's. Here, he's been living with scientists and has become an incredibly spoiled brat who kicks and screams when he doesn't get what he wants.

This whole plot contrivance reminds me of that TvTropes quote about the guy who wrote himself into a corner because his hero didn't bring enough health potions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be fair, Ron did sort of fill the same role in the novels as well. However, Rowling had the good sense to give him redeeming qualities while she was at it, even if Ron doesn't develop much over the books. He's a foil and a pretty good one.

Yud makes him into a retard, because everyone next to Potter-Evans-Self-Insert has to look stupid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sarehu posted:

If you think rape's the worst thing people treat casually in the Harry Potter universe then I've got some unicorn blood to sell you.

The hell are you talking about?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I like how he offers a backhanded insult at the people who called him out for being a horrible poo poo. "Oh yeah, this chapter wasn't racist, but about racism! But I've fixed it now for the grognards who obviously didn't get the social commentary, losers."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That whole segment on teaching Draco the wonders of muggle science irritates me more than the drat rape comment. Wizards know what cars are, and trains. They're not totally ignorant of muggle society. So how the gently caress does Draco not know what a loving rocket is?

I've wanted to read about a culture clash between muggles and wizards ever since Rowling teased it in Half Blood Prince (and then promptly dropped it the very next chapter), but this condescending attitude and absolute worship of selective sciences just ends up pissing me off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Night10194 posted:

I had a professor once tell me the Enlightenment was the first time in human history anyone had ever had the idea that maybe rulers should be chosen because they're intelligent, virtuous, and skilled. Seriously. I mean, this poo poo is pretty wide-spread. "All past eras were stupid and we are the best forever." is a very comforting delusion.

Did you mention to him the concept of Roman dictatorship?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How does Harry know what the Prefects are yet and how does he know they're all in the front carriage? I'll admit I'm glazing over a lot of this thread because Yud is the boring kind of crazy, but I don't recall any time where Harry was informed about the school's prefect system between all the inane "experiments"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

i81icu812 posted:

How do you make non-oriental ramen?

Buy a pack of Mr Noodles?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A lot of people also think that Gryffindors are tyrant alpha jocks who bully everybody and should be expunged from the universe. These people are found on Lesswrong and FF.Net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well maybe people wouldn't view Slytherin as the "bad guy house" if Rowling had given them some redeeming characters, other than Malfoy's eventual development. And even that comes after he spends six and a half novels being a gigantic shithead.