Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Added Space posted:

Then again, the guy has a full-time sex slave... so yeah, probably more like idealized self image.

Well no wonder it took so long to write the series.

I mean I can procrastinate for hours just browsing the internet, give me my own sex slave and I would get nothing done.

"Sorry guys, I'd love to come out to the bar tonight. But you know, sex slave, such a time sink amirite?"

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Ash Ketchum and the acquisiton of ratocination" - Would read.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

LowellDND posted:

On the other hand, someone actually did mix Harry Potter and a d20 character https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Natural-20

Much better at what HPMOR is trying to do (find the rules of the universe, break them).

I'm excited to be following this thread, I stopped reading after the troll, so I wanna see what happens.

So i've been reading this, this weekend. Second to endorse this. If you have any knowledge of Dnd, especially 3rd editon this is a genuinally fun read.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

my dad posted:

Huh, another Let's Read by JWKS, I wonder what this one is abou... :stonklol:

I don't think I'll be doing dramatic readings this time. :stare:

No need! There's a full cast podcast of every chapter!

http://www.hpmorpodcast.com/?page_id=56 or all 154 episodes so far are on Itunes.

You're welcome!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Davros1 posted:

I think it's more of a case of him trying to have a comeback once the idea is dismissed.

"JK hates charities, and is a horrible person, because she wouldn't agree to let me publish my rip-off of her work."

If he's serious, just do the loving 50 Shades thing, and change the names and publish it that way.

They might have to refuse permission anyway, IANAL but copyright law and how far you are obliged to defend your IP or risk losing it is apparently a tricky business.

I remember reading about when JKR was still writing Harry Potter and on book tours. Apparently anything given to her by a member of the public had to be intercepted and literally thrown away without JKR physically touching it. In case they had given her something which contained an idea that might appear in a later novel. So as to avoid plagarism lawsuits.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Nessus posted:

I gather the Chinese kind of stumped racists for a while because while they were clearly squat heathens in thrall to Satan, they'd also built a civilization that clearly rivaled Rome and was in many ways obviously preferable to the average of European civilization. Fortunately for them the sewage got better back home and the Chinese collapsed under British attack, but boy that must've been a squeaker!

Britain, once again saving proper civilisation. :britain:

You're welcome.

In fact if you have any other problems.....

Do you have priceless cultural artifacts that you just don't have the museum space for?

Are your lands clogged up with valuable minerals?

Do you just have too much silks and spices and too little opium?

Our operators are standing by, phone in and see if a couple of centuries of colonial oppression are right for you.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 21, 2015

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hey i81icu812, the full stop you put on the end of the link messes it up. You might want to edit that as it's going to catch out people who don't notice the extraneous '.'

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A Hugo nomination, sure why not. Next years Hugo nominations are going to be a Train wreck already. One more Engine slamming into the carnage isn't going to make things significantly worse.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Relevant to the thread - Silly Valley "effective altruism" now mirrors Yud's bullshit (they don't name Yud by name but it's his sermons being parroted to a T here and his group was involved in it)

What a trainwreck

I am not a violent man. After having read that, I want to punch everyone involved with 'Effective Altruism' in the face, repeatedly.

Jesus wept, 'Welp, humantity is clearly going to be around for 50 million years. Clearly that's guaranteed. So we don't need to worry about, Nuclear war, Global Warming, or indeed the billions of people living in poverty today.' :suicide:

'Oh what's that you say at the back? You know a village that could really use a source of clean water without all that Bilharzia in it. Sorry, this money is going to save 10 Quadrillion hypothetical future people. Stop being so selfish'.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 12, 2015

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hmmm. I assume somebody must have tested this, and actual studies show that speed reading is basically skimming, and reading comprehension declines as reading speed increases.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So I finally got around to reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It reads like a bad fanfic, not MoR bad but still pretty bad.

I wonder if it's better when seen as a play? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Argue posted:

HP20 updated! After only 6 months this time! Author also says his goal is to get out one chapter a month for the time being. https://m.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/73/Harry-Potter-and-the-Natural-20

Thanks for the heads up there.