Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Suddenly I'm really glad no one with a working brain is going to take the Hugos seriously after this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Any reason why he's referencing a lovely SF book from the sixties as opposed to anything actually relevant to VR research - or, y'know, the matrix?
e: Hell, or P.K. Dick, who probably did all of the VR screwery years before simulatronmatics and better? Like, I realize Yud is probably referencing books he likes, but surely even He isn't above reading more on the subject...?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 4, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Legacyspy posted:

The EA community gives far more money to help people living in poverty than to miri.
Still a worse investment than any charity that gives nothing to MIRI.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sarehu posted:

What's a worse investment?
Just pointing out that giving money to a charity that gives a share of it to MIRI is a stupid idea when there's lots of uncontaminated ones around.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sarehu posted:

I don't know what charity you're talking about -- you were responding to a post about the EA community, not a specific charity.
In which case I misunderstood. My apologies.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Makes one wonder what is it that forces fanfiction authors to write books you can clobber cows with. I guess they just don't plan the whole story beforehand so they keep extending it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
what the poo poo
I mean, it's not like it's the first time fanfiction has been used as a basis for cult behavior - FFVII House comes to mind - but it's always just as painful to read.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's, sadly, also consistent with the constantly emerging image of Yud as a vaguely science-themed cult leader.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you feed something burnt to someone, he'll die of phlogiston poisoning. Duh.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So where does Yud stand on experience/learning? Brain isn't all there is to a person and an AI can't simulate you without simulating your (untranslatable) past experiences?
I just love how he's read enough psychology to know about heuristics (which are simple, short and generally salient) but doesn't know gently caress all past that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Too late! Then again, if the AI can simulate your exact behavior and responses, it can figure out you wanted to post it anyway so there's no point not posting it...
Jesus H. Christ, this is beyond idiotic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's basically like solipsism, just adapted for more nerd-appeal. Yeah, you can't disprove it. So what?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The issue seems to be that said system is both dysfunctional and stupid.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Basically the rational course of action is to kill rationalists on sight.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You still expect consistency?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

Why is reading speed now a measurement of dick size?
If I were to hazard a guess, it's because Yud prides himself on it while skimming through the content.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"It works by these rules except for when it doesn't."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I realize "sociopath" is a fashionable word but I really wouldn't throw it around like that. Definitely wouldn't call Snape one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I sincerely doubt he's capable of pulling off anything resembling a thesis - it is generally frowned upon to use popular science books as sources. Plus what we've seen so far he doesn't have a clue about scientific methods.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Furia posted:

All the more reason to tell him, if you ask me. Then he'll really have some explaining to do when it doesn't work out for him.
"My vision was too revolutionary for those backwards academics!"
You surely don't think he'd admit to being wrong?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Or he's harping on education being overrated again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Furia posted:

I wouldn't suppose we could have that tale for reference, could we?
I'd assume it's somewhere in here. Worth a read if you don't mind shocking stupidity.
edit: Alternately, google shitthatdidnthappen.txt.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 22, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, counting people as "objects that can be used for combat" is rather telling. Not to mention half of those shouldn't even count - removing the floor in order to reveal a spike pit isn't exactly a use of the floor.
I honestly have no idea what he's trying to prove here, apart from being able to spout contrived bullshit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's pretty hard to attribute this poo poo to the character when you know that the writer is a genuine nutjob.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Wasn't there some mention of other flying devices like cauldrons and carpets in the books?
Yup, those exist; for some reasons one of the bits of the books that stuck we me for all these years was that there's a throwaway joke about a guy named Ali Bashir who smuggles flying carpets.
Leave it to Yud to ignore the whole folk tradition angle. Or, you know, the flying device masquerading as something inconspicous for when witch hunters come a-knocking. It's a recurring issue here, I think: Yud doesn't seem to get how willing suspension of disbelief works so he tries to hit the absurd bits without realizing why the absurd bits were there and everyone rolled with them in the first place.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 29, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ideally with dissenting voices being swept under the table.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We can also pretty safely say it's not a disorder; insomnia doesn't work that way (at least not a chronic one, that would have other effects - usually the little sleep you get not resting you at all). If I can hazard a guess, it was probably just lack of activity in daytime.

edit: VVV Didn't think of that one, mea culpa.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 21, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you managed to read the whole thing, you're way past "sense".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Dumbledore was a lot more random in the first two books ("Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"), which I expect is why he is here.
That's not random, though: he outright stated he's gonna say a couple of words. That's the wonderful thing about the character, he's very logical in his own way. Here he just seems odd for odd's sake.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

As a good postmodern linguistics professor, Dumbledore notes that the Sorting Hat is the vehicle of the metanarrative or Grand Myth that is the *real* evil of their world and throws out his comic marker for those capable of hearing what was not very well hidden in his short speech.

My brain hurts.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Once I found out rowling deliberately made quidditch nonsense so she could troll diehard sports fans, a lot of her declarations about canon suddenly made a shitload more sense.
Really? My respect for her just went up a lot if that's true.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd imagine it says that actually getting to the answers by yourself doesn't matter when they're provided to you. Y'know, more antiscience 101.

Oh, and IIRC Eagle's Splendor is indeed a DnD charisma-boosting spell.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh. So he was just trying to poison her. Makes sense now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Rationalism" is a horrible, horrible misnomer.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Real difference from his own lovely writing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really wouldn't call the Harry in this thing an "upgrade".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Death Bot posted:

You could even have the characters be intellectual rivals, which is so much more interesting than one character talking whole everyone stares on dumbly
I'm not sure Yud understands the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd chalk it down to failing at propaganda.