Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pvt.Scott posted:

Have people not been retelling and changing stories throughout history? No story is created whole cloth.

Homer did not think he was writing about fictional characters created by another author - and the Greek gods and heros were not invented by any particular author, they were actual beliefs held by many people. Myths and religious beliefs are not the same thing as fiction, edgy atheist comments notwithstanding. (and while I'm sure you could dig up some nut online who actually seriously believes Hogwarts is a real place, that's not really the same thing as beliefs held on a cultural or social level)

Nessus posted:

I've heard this a poo poo ton lately and I'd actually say it has it backwards. "Creative remixing," "writing in a shared setting," whatever you want to call it has had a long tradition dating back into the immemorial past. Saying that all of this is retroactively "fanfic" seems like looking at the history of human water transport from the first dugout canoes up through the navies of World War II and saying, "Container transports are a grand human tradition. Look at all of the containers those boats transported!"

Also this.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm pretty sure the flaws in Rowling's books stem from "she is not an economist, nor did she think she would need to consult an economist to explain a background detail in a children's book about magic and wizards."

Well maybe she ought to have if she doesn't want Hogwarts to fold due to crushing debt as repair and reconstruction costs vastly outweigh any income from tuition, especially as enrollment drops to an all time low as having a lot of murders and dark lords showing up is not good pr.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I would no poo poo read a story about a magical banker who helps run a wizard bank and goes on banking adventures, though. Exploring what the 'normal' world is like for wizbiz would be lots of fun, because much like school, I imagine their banking is full of hilarious misadventures.

what is a "banking adventure"?