Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

blackmongoose posted:

I can see the attraction - Harry Potter wizards are really more analogous to natural philosophers or alchemists as they know that if you do X and Y you get Z effect, but they don't know why, and they can't use that knowledge to predict what would happen if you do W and X instead. There's no theory behind the magic, it's all just application. A story about an HP character trying to discover some underlying theory and approaching the whole thing as an exciting field to learn about and begin to understand could be really interesting.
There was a really pulpy series of books (The Wizardry Compiled?) about a hacker who got summoned into a fantasy world. In that world, magic was basically wild and nigh uncontrollable, and wizardry was basically 'here is what we know works, don't deviate from it or you might kill yourself'. The hacker manages to figure out a structured system of magic with a combination of research and hilariously dangerous trial and error. This lets him 'develop' spells quickly and safely on the fly, and he eventually owns the villains with his 'new magic'.

It is embarrassingly schlocky, punny to an almost criminal degree, and packed with 80's compsci inside jokes. It is also way less insufferable and way more entertaining than HPMOR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Hahahaha, christ I forgot that he made Ron such a stereotypical 'thinks-in-a-straight-line' dullard.

Unfortunately, that jarred loose a few other bits I half-remembered about this thing, and I think I remember why this is that chapter now. :(

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Night10194 posted:

Also, these stupid psuedointellectual shits have no idea how long 'nobility' persisted (and persists) after their precious Enlightenment. They never do.
The nobility/aristocracy still persists, they just wear tailored suits and designer watches now.

You could argue that the Dark Enlightenment goobers realize that aristocracy is alive and well, and their pseudo-monarchist rhetoric is a desperate attempt to curry favor with the upper crust. Better to be at the devil's side than in his path, or something, I guess?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

petrol blue posted:

I want to work out a program to randomly select each paragraph from one of the two fanfics, and then display them as a single story.

Can you smell what the Malfoy is raping?!
Ron Weasley: Jobber for Life

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've wanted to read about a culture clash between muggles and wizards ever since Rowling teased it in Half Blood Prince (and then promptly dropped it the very next chapter), but this condescending attitude and absolute worship of selective sciences just ends up pissing me off.
I wouldn't mind reading a book about Arthur Weasley. Half of it would be fun, with him trying to figure out muggle tech and maybe take a stab at science. The other half would be heart-breaking, with his colleagues laughing at his 'silly obsession'.

By the way, are there any entertaining "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" style, 'science turns magical world upside down' books or series floating around there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Nessus posted:

Thanks to wrestling I keep envisioning Adrian Neville, the wrestler guy, as the one who Harry picked on. :(
Wrestling, you say?