Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Man, I remember getting linked to this and reading the first few chapters and enjoying the clearly deliberately exaggerated and self-aware Harry who was totally only that way as an excuse for a bit of light-hearted fun-poking at some of the more arbitrary things in Harry Potter and some of the tropes it inherited from being a school story.

I was quite surprised by what happened next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

pwnyXpress posted:

The author is definitely having a wank, but it isn't that awful. Suspend your disbelief a bit and its much more enjoyable.

It's really easy to do this when you've got no idea who Less Wrong is, and then it's just "hey, it's to serve the purpose of poking a bit of fun at the bits of Harry Potter we usually just gloss over for the sake of the story, of course he needs to be a ridiculous smart-alec, I can roll with this".

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

These next bits, while Yud's mostly content to poke good-natured fun at how Hogwarts works, and mostly keeps MY EPIC FANFIC PLOT and MY GLORIOUS BAYESIAN THEOREMS on the back burner, are probably the high point.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

divabot posted:

I just read The Disaster Artist, actually. Fantastic book, I recommend it to all of you; everyone's dealt with a fucker like this.

The story of Raphael Smadja and his Giggle Tent is worth the price of admission all on its own, folks. Don't miss it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Not knowing a drat thing about who Yud was, I was still charitably thinking "yeah, he's poking fun at things like the wizard duel in the first book and the incredibly dangerous magic they get taught even from first year." The high point for me is just round the corner, and I'm interested to see how it reads now I know who he is.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

Is this because of the girls wearing skirts? Why doesn’t Hogwarts have sufficient wealth and resources to issue pants to the girls?

One of the things that irritated me a great deal about the films is how they completely chickened out of one of my favourite details about Hogwarts and the wizarding world in general; witches and wizards wear robes, not Muggle clothes. (This is why Levicorpus is such an evil little spell.)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

I guess for a recommendation of my own, this one's kind of, sort of, not really-at-all similar to Arithmancy in the vein of 'getting the most from your magic' in a completely non-serious, absurd way- Harry the Hufflepuff

This is absolutely hilarious and everyone should read it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You're analysing this waaaay too deeply, this is just a bit of good old-fashioned poking fun at the concept of there being a jinx on the DADA teacher for decades but nobody's tried to do anything about it, and then following the logic of that situation a little further than the author intended. It's the sort of thing that's easily forgiven if you think you're reading a silly light-hearted comedy knockabout.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

quote:

"Good luck!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, and leaned over to the gargoyle and said something that Harry somehow failed to hear at all. (Of course, the password wouldn't be much good if you could hear someone saying it.)

If only Gay Black Yudhitler had just stuck to doing this sort of thing, this'd all be a nice, fun, (short!), good-spirited, readable exercise. C'est l'internet.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Here's an audio version of one of those five-star reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0B9Fc6LgMo

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I still enjoy the bit where Harry encounters Snape for the first time. It's all downhill from there.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Because if he doesn't speak up, he can't take the piss out of the whole concept of Snape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

YaketySass posted:

Is it even legal to sell copies of this thing?

The person distributing these booby prizes appears to be Russian, and will be distributing them to people at events either held in Russia or with a significant Russian entry. By Western standards, Russia plays notoriously fast and loose with copyright law and derivative works, as demonstrated by things like Tanya Grotter and The Last Ringbearer.