Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fearlessflyingfish
Dec 24, 2014

Did you seriously pack drugs and candy for dinner?

PotatoJudge posted:

KMart is owned by Sears and both are being run into the ground by their CEO, he's a big time believer in Ayn Rand's books / philosophy.

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/10/how-ayn-rand-loving-ceo-tanked-sears

That almost explains that perplexing musty smell that all K-marts have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

fearlessflyingfish posted:

That almost explains that perplexing musty smell that all K-marts have.

that or... wait does asbestos have a smell?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

phobo posted:

I worked there 16 years ago.

you're probably still on their payroll somehow, check your accounts

ProPaynis
Apr 3, 2014
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/10/photos-kmart_n_4575711.html

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Maka posted:

my local kmart closed down and got turned into a whole foods :yotj:

enjoy your garbage store for gullible idiots

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Maka posted:

my local kmart closed down and got turned into a whole foods :yotj:

You should probably mention that you bombed the Kmart before that happened.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Someone please bomb this.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
There's a KMart in Minneapolis that's not only a decrepit pile of poo poo, but also divides a major thoroughfare, presenting a roadblock between downtown and the southern part of town. It smells like dust and sad and old, sour poo poo. The best thing about it is the taco trucks that park in the parking lot during lunchtime.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

looks like they've got a monopoly on board games

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

a few months back i needed a couple big boxes of unlubricated condoms for reasons and the only place i could find them (after checking multiple drugstores/walmarts) was kmart

so thats why kmart is still open, because theyve got the big boxes of unlubricated condoms

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

looks like they've got a monopoly on board games

They should break it down and build a hotel on it

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

social vegan posted:

They should break it down and build a hotel on it

it'd suck to get railroaded down that aisle

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

it'd suck to get railroaded down that aisle

Say what you will about KMart, but at least they have plenty of free parking.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

back in like 09 kmart was oddly the place to go for video games. they broke the mass effect street date by like 3 drat weeks

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I always thought places like this would be great for an indoor paintball arena.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There is only one K-Mart left near me in Beverly Hills, and amazingly, it's the only K-Mart I've been in that's both busy and not a piece of poo poo. It's shocking to me every time.

K-Mart Corporate Genius 101: Create something as as memorable and pop-culture as the "Blue Light Special" then discontinue it entirely for decades, despite it being so successful everyone knows what you're talking about when you bring it up (that's over 20, I suppose).

Blue Raider posted:

back in like 09 kmart was oddly the place to go for video games. they broke the mass effect street date by like 3 drat weeks

It is true, they pride themselves in not giving a poo poo about retailer agreements apparently.

Before it closed the K-Mart in my home town was the place to go for shoplifting, pretty much. I remember sitting at the return counter for 45 minutes waiting for an idiot to return money to my credit card, watching people carry electronics out the door with alarms blaring, and not a single gently caress was given. This happened at least four, five times. Clerks would look up, shrug, give a "Not my problem!" look and just go on about their day.

ED: Actually, I take that back. They got annoyed the alarm "ran for so long" because it was "annoying." Keep in mind nobody was working in electronics, so there's literally no way this could have been a misunderstanding. It was surreal.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 22, 2015

mote
May 13, 2010

Indeed
The K stands for Kwality

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
There are KMarts in Manhattan but no Walmarts.

The people protest against opening up Walmart but have no problem with a giant, ugly, empty KMart in the center of the universe.

The rents must be insane for those locations on to of that... How do they stay open? Who shops there? Whyyyyyy

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

good luck finding booze, lube, a cucumber and clean underwear in one stop at 4 in the morning, manhattan

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
the closest one to me got turned into a charter school this year

I'd make a joke about half empty bookshelves, but they have literally no outdoor space or room for any kind of field, just an open parking lot with the spaces still painted in

at least they can take a field trip to the local latino supermarket a hundred feet away in the nearby strip mall

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PotatoJudge posted:

KMart is owned by Sears and both are being run into the ground by their CEO, he's a big time believer in Ayn Rand's books / philosophy.

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/10/how-ayn-rand-loving-ceo-tanked-sears

Counterpoint, the CEO of Amazon believes the same things.

K mart just sucks it has nothing to do about libertarian philosophy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gggiiimmmppp posted:

good luck finding booze, lube, a cucumber and clean underwear in one stop at 4 in the morning, manhattan

Srsly. Once Duane Reade and the local bodega close for the evening, you're boned.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I went there last week to buy two bottles of maximum strength cough syrup.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

gggiiimmmppp posted:

a few months back i needed a couple big boxes of unlubricated condoms for reasons and the only place i could find them (after checking multiple drugstores/walmarts) was kmart

so thats why kmart is still open, because theyve got the big boxes of unlubricated condoms

Listen man, it's not my idea, just yours, but I think you know what you have to do.

fearlessflyingfish
Dec 24, 2014

Did you seriously pack drugs and candy for dinner?
I am so not surprised that a libertarian turned out to be terrible at business.

I look forward to hearing that K-Mary is now exclusively working in Bitcoin soon.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
quick someone post that youtube video of the baby faced 20 something in a suit going to a horrible store that was like k mart's and big lot's abused illegitimate child. He just keeps finding weird gross stuff and ancient vhs tapes or something and looking disappointed.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

dev286 posted:

There are KMarts in Manhattan but no Walmarts.

The people protest against opening up Walmart but have no problem with a giant, ugly, empty KMart in the center of the universe.

The rents must be insane for those locations on to of that... How do they stay open? Who shops there? Whyyyyyy
:allears:

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

The only reason that any are still open is because K-Mart owns the buildings themself instead of renting space.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Blue Irish Spring is a pro tier soap

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Brotein_Shake posted:

quick someone post that youtube video of the baby faced 20 something in a suit going to a horrible store that was like k mart's and big lot's abused illegitimate child. He just keeps finding weird gross stuff and ancient vhs tapes or something and looking disappointed.

sounds a lot like building 19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
People who think KMart is bad never experienced the unforgettable shoddieness of a Building 19. A part of me died when they all closed down due to what I assume was a UN Mandate on third world hell holes.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

sounds a lot like building 19

Yesssssss I couldn't remember the name but it was in the last k-mart thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odz_-BcKxx0

:laffo:

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

a hole-y ghost posted:

all kcafes are partially covered by merchandise or have merchandise stands encroaching into their area.

When one of the lovely cafes/nail salons/photo studios/shady banks at the front of a Walmart closes they slap up some drywall and make it look like it was never there. It's in the design of the building that they can do that. Walmart and K-Mart are both terrible but Walmart is so much better at being terrible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Brotein_Shake posted:

ive seen a million furniture stores just like this sans grocery section (lol)

i think being lovely and cheap is their MO

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

kmart is still a thing in australia but it's different than this, like they're pretty successful. they're like a downmarket target who'll pricematch, basically.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

jarvis cocker posted:

life philosophy: sometimes you have to walk through a sears to get to a macy's

Lol I'd never shop at Macy's. I'm white.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Brotein_Shake posted:

God drat this place owns.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

really long leasing agreements, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

chaosbreather posted:

kmart is still a thing in australia but it's different than this, like they're pretty successful. they're like a downmarket target who'll pricematch, basically.

You don't have Walmart, right? And do you have anything like Dollar General or Family Dollar? I think the unavoidable problem for Kmart, even our version of it, is that there's just too much competition in the downmarket arena.

• Locked thread