Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Eubank Jr owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He could have won his last fight imo if it weren't for his dads constant interfering

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

Lionel Richie posted:

Yeah, it was a lot closer than the idiot commentators were making out, Eubank looks like he's gonna stop him now though.

Haha I was saying that the entire fight, they were way too bias

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the commentator trying to compare him to golovkin at the end lol. i hate how commentators have just become hype men nowadays

biglads posted:

Anyone else here playing this?

http://www.rooqboxing.com/Default.aspx

Quite a fun little browser game.

this looks complicated

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Not sure if I'd call either elite (unless you're saying elite level brawlers, which would be the truest thing), but it should still be an excellent, evenly matched fight.

Semantics. They're both former titlists and solidly in the top 10 of the division. They aren't P4P calibre fighters, but they're both world class. However you want to describe them, it's a very relevant fight, as well as a potential fight of the year.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Hahah Belfast is a bear pit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Can't really argue with that he was connecting with everything

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah that was a good stoppage

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

avalos should've whacked him in the head a bit more imo

wonder if we'll ever get frampton quigg

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

loving hell never put a microphone in front of Scott Quigg.

Hilarious that he seems to think that Frampton wouldn't be the "senior partner" in that fight though. Quigg can't draw flies to poo poo in Manchester.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
How were the Fury and Frampton fights?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Fury was underwhelming against an overmatched opponent. Frampton looked great, I'd have him clear second best SBW in the world. If they got him in Belfast, which could easily be done, he'd give Rigondeaux a better fight than anyone right now imo.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

biglads posted:

Anyone else here playing this?

http://www.rooqboxing.com/Default.aspx

Quite a fun little browser game.

I actually am :sweatdrop:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is there much chance Frampton will move up weight classes?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Adrien Broner fights on NBC on Saturday cool.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Ty1990 posted:

Keith Thurman too!

and Abner Mares against a most likely overmatched opponent!!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ty1990 posted:

It'll be dope. See if you can find a bar around you willing to show it. I know I'll be calling up a few places asking if they have the NBC fights on Saturday.

Spread the word. This is big for boxing to have shows back on easily watchable free TV, especially with as good of a card as they're starting with.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Getting more excited as it draws near personally, though some that is the Floyd-Manny afterglow. Im thinking more and more that Thurman may have been holding back something against Bundu and will really put on a show against Guerrero who is of course super tough himself.

Also Molina jr. probably wont beat Broner but he's definitely tough enough to drag something out of him other than a poor Floyd imitation.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Thurman-Guerrero is a super-good fight. I cannot imagine that one being bad; both guys like to come forward and fight even if I personally suspect that Guerrero will show more of his outside skillset than in previous welterweight showings. I'm a Guerrero fan and I'll be pulling for The Ghost to beat a fighter I think has been somewhat overrated by the internet. It's my personal feeling that whoever wins this fight is going to be huge in the welterweight division. We're talking about a division with guys like Tim Bradley, Amir Khan, Juan Manuel Marquez, Marcos Maidana and Kell Brook even ignoring welterweight's two best fighters. All these guys are A/B+ fighters; the winner of Thurman-Guerrero will have to be in the discussion with any of them.

The welterweight division is insanely stacked right now. It gets better when you think of guys like Rios, Danny Garcia, Matthysse, Algieri, and Provodnikov who have either competed at welterweight at some point or will probably move up soon, not to mention Crawford and Mikey Garcia who occasionally get brought up as talented guys who may get to welterweight eventually.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i wonder why welterweight is always so stacked

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

thehappyprince posted:

i wonder why welterweight is always so stacked

Is it because it's easier for guys that height/weight to break into boxing than it would be for other high level (and high paying) athletics?

It's weird to me because guys who are considered small in the NFL like Steve Smith or Darren Sproles are still like 40-50 lbs heavier than 147 (seems the same way in the NBA as well)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ozymandius1024 posted:

Is it because it's easier for guys that height/weight to break into boxing than it would be for other high level (and high paying) athletics?

It's weird to me because guys who are considered small in the NFL like Steve Smith or Darren Sproles are still like 40-50 lbs heavier than 147 (seems the same way in the NBA as well)

Also because it's closer to the peak of the bell curve, worldwide, for how big human males are. So there's just a bigger pool of high level athletic bodies, and fewer of those athletic bodies have been poached for other sports.

It's the same reason that 155 is the most savage division in the UFC - the weight is a bit higher there because mma is a mostly American sport, and people in North America are slightly larger on average.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Mr. Belpit posted:

I actually am :sweatdrop:

Who are you ingame? I'm "Terry Carcoat Promotions".
Edit - found you as "Belpit Promotions"

- oh Mr. Belpit, your legs are sooooo swollen.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Thurman-Guerrero is a super-good fight. I cannot imagine that one being bad; both guys like to come forward and fight even if I personally suspect that Guerrero will show more of his outside skillset than in previous welterweight showings. I'm a Guerrero fan and I'll be pulling for The Ghost to beat a fighter I think has been somewhat overrated by the internet. It's my personal feeling that whoever wins this fight is going to be huge in the welterweight division. We're talking about a division with guys like Tim Bradley, Amir Khan, Juan Manuel Marquez, Marcos Maidana and Kell Brook even ignoring welterweight's two best fighters. All these guys are A/B+ fighters; the winner of Thurman-Guerrero will have to be in the discussion with any of them.

I'm honestly a little baffled that a lot of fans I see are so quick to dismiss Guerrero in this fight like he's some no-name chump. The guy's only got two losses (one was a million years ago and the other was against Mayweather, so...), he consistently shows a varied skillset and a solid chin, he's a more experienced fighter with previous world titles, and he's still in his prime. Thurman's going to get severely tested here.

biglads posted:

Who are you ingame? I'm "Terry Carcoat Promotions".
Edit - found you as "Belpit Promotions"

- oh Mr. Belpit, your legs are sooooo swollen.

Shot you an in-game message so we can stop annoying this thread with our nerdy browser game.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Miguel Cotto has signed a multifight deal with Roc Nation Sports. Scheduled to return in June agaisnt TBA with k9 Bundrage the supposed front runner.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/story?storyId=12425320

This means Roc Nations stable is basically:
Miguel Cotto
Andre Ward
Tureano Johnson
Prospects of various quality

I dont really know if one should be impressed that theyve signed one of the sports biggest draws as well as one of its best fighters in such a short time or disheartened because in that time they've only managed to put on one fight card. Even more troubling was they way their deal with Gary Shaw promotions fell apart (supposedly) because they were meddling in the Wlad-Bryant Jennings fight to the point where Klitschko nearly walked away and Shaw had to leave to keep the fight on.

Even with Haymon improving the quality of his offering im all for competition, especially when that competition is coming from a place who have such a track record of success in mainstream American sports but i guess im more skeptical as they seem to be delivering the occasional sizzle but very little steak.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 6, 2015

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Cotto v Bundrage is such a poo poo fight that it's annoying thinking about it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jury is still out on whether Roc Nation will do anything in this sport. It's a bad sign that Haymon is so opposed to working with them. That probably won't be an issue for Ward and Cotto whose big potential opponents aren't with Haymon, but I can't see them expanding too much farther than they've already gotten. It's interesting that they do have the middleweight and super-middleweight champ in the same stable.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

Jury is still out on whether Roc Nation will do anything in this sport. It's a bad sign that Haymon is so opposed to working with them. That probably won't be an issue for Ward and Cotto whose big potential opponents aren't with Haymon, but I can't see them expanding too much farther than they've already gotten. It's interesting that they do have the middleweight and super-middleweight champ in the same stable.

I like to think Hova didnt make the leap into boxing without thinking "hmm this guy that my wife sued for millions controls almost half of the fighters in the sport. I better find a way to work around that" but who knows.

Also this seems late but if youre not averse to amending the op id like to nominate- and write up at some point when i have more time and energy my

heartbreak of 2014

Jermain Taylor comes apart before our eyes.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Hopefully Roc Nation doesn't gently caress up the remainder of Andre Ward's career.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

I like to think Hova didnt make the leap into boxing without thinking "hmm this guy that my wife sued for millions controls almost half of the fighters in the sport. I better find a way to work around that" but who knows.

Also this seems late but if youre not averse to amending the op id like to nominate- and write up at some point when i have more time and energy my

heartbreak of 2014

Jermain Taylor comes apart before our eyes.

I still have to finish up my p4p list >_>

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Hopefully Roc Nation doesn't gently caress up the remainder of Andre Ward's career.

Andre Ward can do a fine job of that all by himself.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The SituAsian posted:

heartbreak of 2014

Jermain Taylor comes apart before our behind the eyes.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Yuriy posted:

spong returned to combat sports today, not kickboxing but boxing against a 7-35-6 hungarian

he ktfo'd him and you can see it here

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/6/8164149/tyrone-spong-knocks-out-boxing-opponent-in-return-to-combat-sports

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Ninth Layer posted:

You'd have to give me crazy bad odds for me not to bet on Jay-Z succeeding at whatever he puts his mind to. I mean, if RN boxing is just an incidental expansion of his larger sports agency business, then yeah, I could see it folding in the relatively near future. Otherwise, either he'll make Haymon come to terms, or he'll make deals with literally everyone else and figure out ways to make profitable fights.

50 Cent made his vast fortune largely off of Vitamin Water being a thing for some reason. Dr. Dre made (by far the greatest part) of his vast fortune because people buy his stupid headphones for similarly unclear reasons. Jay-Z made his immense fortune (less than Dre, I think, but greater than 50C or P. Diddy) by constantly being the savviest guy in the room, over and over again.

They're definitely making serious moves, they've made a couple of big signings, and I'd be shocked if they had less capital available to them than Arum or GB. If Haymon makes his project work and creates a pseudo-UFC for boxing or whatever, everyone who isn't Haymon is hosed, but otherwise, I'm betting on Roc Nation justifying their investment.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

From what I heard Roc Nation's deal with Cotto is $50 million for three fights. That's an incredible amount of money to be paying Cotto if he's not taking on guys like Alvarez or Golovkin. I can't imagine how they're going to turn a profit with contracts like that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

From what I heard Roc Nation's deal with Cotto is $50 million for three fights.

holy moly

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Ninth Layer posted:

From what I heard Roc Nation's deal with Cotto is $50 million for three fights. That's an incredible amount of money to be paying Cotto if he's not taking on guys like Alvarez or Golovkin. I can't imagine how they're going to turn a profit with contracts like that.

That might not be profitable, but Showtime's deal with Mayweather was questionably profitable (they made a bunch on Canelo, supposedly lost or broke even on the others, and have to split the profit on Mayweather-Pacquiao).

Immediate profitability might not even be an objective, just establishing a presence.

I was comparing Jay-Z to other rappers exclusively earlier, but I thought that might be a bit racist, since they were all black. So I looked up Mick Jagger's net worth: $300M. Jay-Z-'s net worth: $500M+. Jagger has been doing his job as the frontman for the biggest rock band in the world for what, 40 years? (As a Stones fan, step up your game, man, although realistically you or Keith will die soon and you both have too much money to ever spend.)

Jay-Z knows how to make money, and I just wouldn't bet against any business venture he was engaged in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Every time someone brings up Roc Nation I'm disappointed Charles S Dutton isn't involved. He was even a boxer drat it.

It hit me earlier tonight that Al Michaels is going to be calling a boxing match tomorrow. I don't know why exactly but that made it hit home for me what a big deal this could (theoretically) be for the sport.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Jack of Hearts posted:

I was comparing Jay-Z to other rappers exclusively earlier, but I thought that might be a bit racist, since they were all black. .

seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

seriously?

lol

• Locked thread