Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Hello everyone. I have been gone for some time, but decided to come back for another LP on possibly one of my favorite games of the early 90s. Quest for Glory II - Trial by Fire.

The story starts out right after Quest For Glory I - So You Want to be A Hero. You have just saved the land and some of your friends lost treasures. One of which was a magic carpet. Once it has been returned, Your friends invite you to journey with them to their homeland of Shapier as it might be in need of a hero as well...you of course agree and go with them. The game begins on your first day in Shapier. You will have 16 days to stop whatever comes into the town and prepare for the trip to Raiser by caravan. Meaning you have to grind your character and take care of everything required in a certain amount of time.

This is the second game in the series created by long time programmers Lori and Corey Cole and the rest of the Sierra adventure game crew. Recently this series has had a bit of a resurgence with the remake of this very game.

There are three classes all with different attributes:

Fighter: The Fighter is strong, but cannot use magic or pick locks (My character is a hybrid created in the first game using a bug)
Wizard: Not strong or stealthy, but can use magic
Thief: Can become a hybrid character and use all skills

This Let's Play is a Paladin run, meaning the game has to be played a certain way:

A Paladin wanna be cannot:

Steal
Use the X-ray glasses
or
miss any honorable acts in the game (we will get to those as the game progresses).
This means a thief cannot be a Paladin, however both the Wizard class and fighter class can be.

In this first video we will run through the busiest day (the 1st) and there are 30 total days (we play around 19-20 of them)

On day 1 we:

Talk to Keapon Laffin (to buy spells and use a bug to get some $$)
Find the money exchanger (the part of the game that caused many to never complete it)

Note: This map can help you get there

Buy a map and compass, spells, pills and a new sword *Always make sure you BARGAIN for items*
Visit all important shops (Issur the weaponsmith so you can arm wrestle him)
Visit Rakeesh and Uhura at the adventures guild (sign the book)
Kill some enemies in the desert (Fighters get points) In this video we fight a herd of Jackalmen

Day enemies - Terrorsaurus / Brigands / Scorpion Night enemies - Jackalmen / Ghouls and any day enemies

FINALLY

Talk to everyone and head back to the inn.

Thieves should buy - Fine Dagger / Throw Dagger / Oil / Magic Rope / Vigor and health pills / incense
Magic User should buy - Fine Dagger / Force Bolt and Levitate / Vigor, health and mana pills / incense
Fighter should buy - Sword / health and vigor pills / incense
Hybrid character should buy all items possible from each class.

Enjoy the LP! Comment if there is anything I haven't explained that you need to know about day 1

Check here for the events leading to this game

Part 1 (Consisting of the first day)

Part 2 (Consisting of the second day)

Part 3 consisting of the third and fourth day

Part 4 - Defeating the Fire, Wind and Earth Elementals

Part 5 - Julanar, the beast and EOF

Part 6 - Ad Avis is our Friend

Part 7 - The final Battle

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, well, well. Its been a while since I've seen this game. Not since I tried to play my way through the series, which failed on going from 4 to 5. Well, your'e other let's plays have been good, so this should be no exception. Thank you.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

I hope to get all five games done this year! Thanks for watching! Glad you enjoy the LPs!

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Click here for Day 2

Things to do:

Purchase any items you may need: Magic Rope, X-Ray glasses (for fun) Water skins, brass lamp, rations and flowers (for honor)

Eat breakfast in INN (save rations)

DO NOT Bargain for Saurus as you can haggle better just by purchasing it (20 for bargain, 5 for saying no)

You can attempt to beat the acrobat on Day 2 if your agility is high enough

See Aziza and talk about elementals and Julanar

Talk to the astrologer about the future

Fight enemies for points (if fighter)I fought a scorpion (make sure to get its tail) and a terrorsarus (has nothing)

Make sure to see Shema Dance (if you don't you cannot be a Paladin)

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 23, 2015

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

If you want to import a character and don't know how or have a way to get the file go to this website:

http://qfg.bitcollectors.com/

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
If you don't see Shema dance...
...you can't become a Paladin.
Mind blown.
The powers that be in this Universe have a very interesting concept of honourable acts.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
Trial by Fire is my favourite of the QfG games. The independent remake is actually quite excellent and well worth playing for anyone looking to get into this game.

You can actually get a thief character to become a paladin (it's complicated though).

You can see the direction your hero is facing on the map, I'm not sure why you're having such difficulty using it. If he's facing south, then turning right will obviously move you West, and left would be East.

If I recall correctly, saying hello, thank you and goodbye to people whenever you converse with them does add to your honour, albeit slowly.

Lastly, if you're interested, be on the lookout for words that the game capitalizes the first letter of (non-nouns are easier to spot, for obvious reasons), as they tend to be things you can ask people about.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is there anything you can do with your beard other than sell it?

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

mycot posted:

Is there anything you can do with your beard other than sell it?

You get points towards game completion. It isn't a spell component or anything. They may have missed out on that. Just kinda like Troll Beard in the first game.

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 23, 2015

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Burning Sensation posted:

Trial by Fire is my favourite of the QfG games. The independent remake is actually quite excellent and well worth playing for anyone looking to get into this game.

You can actually get a thief character to become a paladin (it's complicated though).

You can see the direction your hero is facing on the map, I'm not sure why you're having such difficulty using it. If he's facing south, then turning right will obviously move you West, and left would be East.

If I recall correctly, saying hello, thank you and goodbye to people whenever you converse with them does add to your honour, albeit slowly.

Lastly, if you're interested, be on the lookout for words that the game capitalizes the first letter of (non-nouns are easier to spot, for obvious reasons), as they tend to be things you can ask people about.

Indeed it is almost impossible because you have to get 25 "Paladin" Points that have nothing to do with your regular honor. I was going to talk about it as we went but here it is:

To become a Paladin, you must have achieved an Honor score of at least 75. You must also have at least 25 Paladin Points as described below (these and others will be added to your score if/when you become a Paladin). Finally, you must not have done any of certain dishonorable actions:

1. Killing Khaveen when he's unarmed.

2. Taking money from Omar's purse before returning the purse.

3. Having to be reminded (by Uhura) to return Rakeesh's sword. (You must return it voluntarily.)

4. Entering the "break-in house" in Shapeir.

5. Trying to kill a helpless opponent in your EOF initiation.

Paladin Points are awarded as follows:

1. Return Omar's purse (7 PP).

2. Return Rakeesh's sword (5 PP).

3. Be polite to Aziza (don't get kicked out) (3 PP).

4. Refuse to kill EOF opponent (just say "no") (7 PP).

5. Give money to the beggar more than once (5 PP).

6. Tell Khaveen to retrieve his sword (7 PP). (Wizard can cast calm)

7. You lose 10 Paladin Points if you disturb the Griffin. (There is a way to get a Griffin feather without bothering the Griffin.) This was not supposed to have been a total disqualifier, but it effectively is (since you can get at most 34 Paladin Points prior to becoming a Paladin, and losing 10 reduces you to 24 -- below the limit).

As long as you get 1 - 5 and do a ton of Dinar donation to the beggar the thief can do it.

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 23, 2015

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

peachsynapse posted:

If you don't see Shema dance...
...you can't become a Paladin.
Mind blown.
The powers that be in this Universe have a very interesting concept of honourable acts.

LOL yes it actually lowers your Honor Stat...TECHNICALLY you can if you have enough $$ to give the beggar (he can almost bug out any issue, but it doesn't ALWAYS work)

Heck if you stand up in Azizas's house without saying Farewell you lose 3 PP. That is crazy.

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 23, 2015

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

A map of the desert incase you are playing along and need some idea of what is out there.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That's so crazy. As a kid, my thief-wizard from HQ was able to become a Paladin in QfGII. I figured it was sort of an automatic thing, so when I was always unable to do it in subsequent playthroughs, I was wondering what the hell was up.

I had a lot more patience as a kid. And, clearly, wasn't a great thief.

Such a good game.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

That's so crazy. As a kid, my thief-wizard from HQ was able to become a Paladin in QfGII. I figured it was sort of an automatic thing, so when I was always unable to do it in subsequent playthroughs, I was wondering what the hell was up.

I had a lot more patience as a kid. And, clearly, wasn't a great thief.

Such a good game.

Yeah I only got a paladin ONCE as a kid...at least QFGIII let you make a paladin no matter what character you had upon import.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
This is my favorite of the Quest For Glory games. (Despite Shadows of Darkness being my first one.)

Just a minor note to the Paladin qualifiers/disqualifiers: Using the X-ray Glasses when you're supposed to use them does not affect your Paladin score one way or the other.

The remake is very good, but it makes two minigames much much harder than they were in the original EGA version (the tightrope balancing game, which is absolutely vital for Thieves and the already brutally difficult arm-wrestling Ussur in the blacksmith's shop.)

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Snorb posted:

This is my favorite of the Quest For Glory games. (Despite Shadows of Darkness being my first one.)

Just a minor note to the Paladin qualifiers/disqualifiers: Using the X-ray Glasses when you're supposed to use them does not affect your Paladin score one way or the other.

The remake is very good, but it makes two minigames much much harder than they were in the original EGA version (the tightrope balancing game, which is absolutely vital for Thieves and the already brutally difficult arm-wrestling Ussur in the blacksmith's shop.)

you are indeed correct the glasses don't hurt you like I had always thought and is not on the main no no list

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Day 3 and 4

Dealing with WIT

First, choose Erasmus as your support. No one else will.

The first test is in a dark room, where you will have to use detect magic, fetch and trigger to perform what Erasmus ask you
to do. Then it's on to the path of Wizardry.
First to block your way along this path is the element of air, in the form of a fan. Make the fan move towards you and then levitate to let it pass under you.
Next is the element of earth. He can be coped with by casting several calm spells after casting detect magic (or was it trigger?). Just climb over the elemental when he is calm.
The third element is fire. To get past this one, extinguish the fire with a calm spell. (be sure to open the door with a fetch spell first) Then, after closing the door (another fetch spell), cast a force bolt at the upper half of the door. The door will allow you to cross the hole.
Finally the element of water. It will have to be melted with a flame dart, and then cracked with several well placed force bolts. Once you have finished this, you will be accepted as an initiate in WIT.

Do not choose to stay as it is a game over.

Make sure you see Omar the Poet in the Inn or you will lose honor.

We also killed a Brigand and Ghoul, finishing off the monster checklist for points in this game.

Day 4

Journey out and work on your character...day 5 will begin the fun!

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 24, 2015

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

If you are playing as a Thief you may rob a house on day 4 in the evening (or any other evening). Here are the steps to do this:

Show money Changer Thief sign (just type in the parser "show thief sign")
follow the money changer's directions.
Make sure you have oil from the apothecary before going.
SAVE before entering house (at end of Askeri Darb). (it is also on the map from earlier on in this post)
Grab teapot service, search room, look under carpet, open trap door, open chest. (a silver dagger should be there)
If someone arrives, hide in the closet (oil the hinges first). If you have unrolled the carpet, you must put it back.
Search the closet for items before leaving.
Replace everything how it was found before hiding.

You can then go back to the money changer and sell them for a tidy profit.

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 24, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Saxcat20 posted:

If you are playing as a Thief you may rob a house on day 4 in the evening (or any other evening). Here are the steps to do this:

Show money Changer Thief sign (just type in the parser "show thief sign")
follow the money changer's directions.
Make sure you have oil from the apothecary before going.
SAVE before entering house (at end of Askeri Darb). (it is also on the map from earlier on in this post)
Grab teapot service, search room, look under carpet, open trap door, open chest.
If someone arrives, hide in the closet (oil the hinges first).
Replace everything how it was found before hiding.

You can then go back to the money changer and sell them for a tidy profit.

You shouldn't forget to search the closet itself. Also, you only need to unroll the carpet to hide your activities and oil for the hinges isn't necessary until the third brother comes home.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

You are right you can check it. I'll add that. except only the first brother doesn't notice as he is too drunk. The others start noticing (at least when I play)

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 24, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Saxcat20 posted:

You are right you can check it. I'll add that. except only the first brother doesn't notice as he is too drunk. The others start noticing (at least when I play)

I'm pretty sure that with the first brother you don't need to hide (which is why the game ambushes you with him), with the second brother you can hide in a corner of the room, but with the third brother you must hide in the closet.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

hmm. Well I've always hidden for the two older ones and I checked Lateblt's LP of QFGII as he does it and he got caught. So it could have to do with stealth as his was like 40.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
That "mirage" was actually a silly clown, a reference to Conquest of Camelot (it's the protagonist, King Arthur).

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

yeah shame it wouldn't let me click on it. It mentions Quest for Camelot. Game was moving a bit fast.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Here it is:

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

I have updated this game on my channel.

Click here for Part 4

In this video I defeat the first three elementals.

To defeat each:

Fire - You must have:

Incense, Brass Lamp, water in your water skin

Steps to defeat elemental:

1) Use incense to lure elemental into streets
2) drop lamp
3) Use water on elemental and it will retreat into lamp

Note: Afterwards you will have time to work out your character. NOTE if you want to be a paladin (I had to go ALL the way back and do this to get the 3 PP I needed) make sure on Day 7 to see Omar by the fountain and take his wallet he leaves behind. Give it back when you see him in the Katta Tail Inn

Wind Elemental

You need:

Dirt from market, Issur's Bellows (just ask for them if you already arm wrestled him and won)

Steps to defeat

1)walk into elemental
2)drop dirt
3)Use bellows to suck him up

Earth Elemental "Rocky"

You need: Soulforge, cloth bag

Steps:

1)Get Soulforge from Rakeesh
2)roam streets until he attacks
3)kill like any monster
4)Use cloth bag to pick him up.

You can also use flame dart to kill it if you are a wizard and you can pick up a burning solution from Harik if you are a thief.

Make sure you give back the sword if you want to become a Paladin. YOU must give it back, if you are asked you don't get the points.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You can actually handle the air elemental by throwing the dirt at the black center of its cyclone. It's potentially more dangerous than just walking into it, though, since you have to lead your target and there's a finite supply of dirt. Alternately, the wizard can levitate above the elemental and drop the dirt from a slightly safer location. I'm not sure whether or not the thief can do the same with his rope.

Also, if you wait until the elementals show up and Tell About them to the merchants, I'm pretty sure all of them will give you what you need for free. It's actually pretty intelligent on their part. Well, except for Issur, but then Issur is a dick.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Yes, its nice that the merchants are smart enough to give what's needed to save their lives instead of charging for it. Too many video games have them be stupid and charge too much when you are the only thing between them and death.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
Didn't you miss Omar hanging out outside the apothecary and finding/returning his coin pouch?

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

Saxcat20 posted:

hmm. Well I've always hidden for the two older ones and I checked Lateblt's LP of QFGII as he does it and he got caught. So it could have to do with stealth as his was like 40.

Man, I remember watching those. He did so many Sierra adventure games.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Burning Sensation posted:

Didn't you miss Omar hanging out outside the apothecary and finding/returning his coin pouch?

I sure did. I had to go back and do it again to become a paladin.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You can actually handle the air elemental by throwing the dirt at the black center of its cyclone. It's potentially more dangerous than just walking into it, though, since you have to lead your target and there's a finite supply of dirt. Alternately, the wizard can levitate above the elemental and drop the dirt from a slightly safer location. I'm not sure whether or not the thief can do the same with his rope.

Also, if you wait until the elementals show up and Tell About them to the merchants, I'm pretty sure all of them will give you what you need for free. It's actually pretty intelligent on their part. Well, except for Issur, but then Issur is a dick.

Right, the thief throws it and the wizard uses levitate. I don't always say all the ways since I'm playing a fighter, but you can do it that way it you have a hybrid character.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Saxcat20 posted:

Right, the thief throws it and the wizard uses levitate. I don't always say all the ways since I'm playing a fighter, but you can do it that way it you have a hybrid character.

Well, the fighter gets throwing too, so it's always an option.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well, the fighter gets throwing too, so it's always an option.

true, hence the hybrid comment, I just am not sure if you get full points or not.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Just beat the VGA version myself a week back. Great fun, even though I felt massively conflicted in not playing to become a Paladin. Mostly since being a thief was just so fun :(

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

evilmiera posted:

Just beat the VGA version myself a week back. Great fun, even though I felt massively conflicted in not playing to become a Paladin. Mostly since being a thief was just so fun :(

I know. In 1, 2, 4 and V being a thief is so fun...3...well...not so much but still.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Oh hey, cool, it's QfGII! And here I was, pondering about doing a VLP of the QfG Series, myself!

Fun watch so far, this game is probably my favourite in the entire series.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Cosmic Afro posted:

Oh hey, cool, it's QfGII! And here I was, pondering about doing a VLP of the QfG Series, myself!

Fun watch so far, this game is probably my favourite in the entire series.

I like IV just a little better but for many years this was my favorite!

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

New video HERE!

Today we have to save Julanar here are the steps

1) Give tree water 2) Give tree earth 3)tell about elemental 4)tell about self 5) Tell name

This allows you to get the Fruit of Compassion

Now that you have that go to the Apothecary and give him both the fruit and griffin feather. He should then give you 3 dispel potions for free.

Now you must go to the Caged beast in the dessert (check map) and give it food. Then take a hair for the potion. Finally, give the beast the potion and it will give you some information.

Finally, wait for the EOF. Follow the guide in my video and once you get there do NOT kill the guy. If you do you cannot become a Paladin. You will lose too many PP if you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The caged beast will also accept water.

• Locked thread