Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

sticklefifer posted:

You can resubscribe anytime you want, or watch it in a theater, or watch it at a friend's house, or watch it in a sports bar, and that's a silly amount of effort just because you don't like people not liking things.

Or pay $70 instead of $120 and catch every PPV...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I got the main event spoiled for me in the Oscars thread and hahaha, holy poo poo, really, wow.

Is the show worth watching besides the main event?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

CapnAndy posted:

I got the main event spoiled for me in the Oscars thread and hahaha, holy poo poo, really, wow.

Nothing on the show is worth watching besides the main event

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Fat Lowtax posted:

Nothing on the show is worth watching besides the main event

Tag title match was p. good imo

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

tag title match was disjointed but ultimately fine, us title match was good, main event was better

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The tag title match was very good but I wish they would build that sort of thing up with more than third-rate WCW booking.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

sticklefifer posted:

I didn't like the show but some people are just being ridiculous about it.

You can resubscribe anytime you want, or watch it in a theater, or watch it at a friend's house, or watch it in a sports bar, and that's a silly amount of effort just because you don't like people not liking things.

The referee very audibly yelled "FIVE" a few seconds before the call, so you should either get your ears or your confirmation bias checked.

He was six miles away in a car.

Well, across the ring

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Just got home, read the spoilers on my phone. Is any of it worth watching? I read that Roman kicked out of The Knee That Beat John Cena for some reason.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

AlmightyPants posted:

Just got home, read the spoilers on my phone. Is any of it worth watching? I read that Roman kicked out of The Knee That Beat John Cena for some reason.

Tag Title Match, Rusev/Cena, and Bryan/Reigns are all worth watching. Everything else is completely forgettable.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

AlmightyPants posted:

I read that Roman kicked out of The Knee That Beat John Cena for some reason.

he kicked out of it because they want to get him over and book him strongly

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

AlmightyPants posted:

Yeah what Astro said. I feel like Bryan/Reigns is going to be a very interesting match to look back on a few years from now, when we see the full consequences of them going with Roman 100%.

Actually, of all things, this could lead to an interesting Bryan heel turn. Reigns wins the match, Bryan comes down to raise his hand then beats him up, Cena-Knee's him, then celebrates with Rollins after he cashes in. Bryan's level is clearly above whatever other match they find for him on the show (Ziggler, Sheamus, etc.), and if nothing else more matches with Reigns and Bryan will be good and hopefully teach Reigns a lot about wrestling so he can improve. Bryan was pretty obviously working as the heel in the main event of Fastlane, though that rarely means much in the grand scheme of things.

Roman would be a face that gets boo'd at WM, why not have a Heel that gets cheered? It's also a way to disguise massive boos for Reigns and massive cheers for Rollins, they can sell it as the crowd cheering for Bryan despite his actions and not cheering for Reigns losing the title. A big problem with Reigns is that no one wants him as the face when Bryan's around and better at everything involving the wrestling business except for lifting heavy things, and turning Bryan solves that too.

On the con side, Bryan takes the usual huge hit in merch sales, Bryan is their #1 face right now with only Cena getting similar reactions, and it doesn't solve the core problem of Reigns being pushed beyond his perceived level, but it seems like it would at least be a body thrown on the grenade that is WWE's stupid booking.

Oh well, still looking forward to a crowd hijacking WM, haven't seen that since the "18 seconds" match.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CapnAndy posted:

Hey, man, I used spoiler tags. :colbert:

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

CapnAndy posted:

AlmightyPants posted:

no

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
bryan should shave his head and beard and go back to being evil tough as hell wrestler bryan

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I watched the Rumble and wasn't planning on watching this show but because it came on the same time as the UFC show it was easy enough to turn both on and watch this while UFC was between fights. First 2/3s of the card were not very good, the Ambrose finish was just awful.

The main event, I kinda felt like in the weeks leading up to this, the "rumors" of a 3 way were just false build to give people hope of Bryan being in the match. I figured that they threw this match together to give hope to people that wanted to see Bryan in the main event, but also because they needed Reigns to look as good as possible and since he was having poo poo matches with Rollins; this was the best way to do that. Reigns looked about as good as you'd hope given his skill level and abilities. I thought Bryan wrestled that match like he was the second coming of HBK though; he mirrored a lot of Shawn's old spots perfectly. Hell, they might have even watched some Shawn/Nash matches in order to get ideas for stuff to do. Good match though regardless of the outcome.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

coma posted:

Pleath lowtackth! Th-top the people from pirating wrethling thtreamth!

It's less about the pirating and a lot more about the chorus of "I am never watching again!" And "I am canceling my network" over and over again in every PPV thread, month after month. Seems like half the thread quits wrestling forever on a monthly basis. I see "I am canceling posts" as about as interesting to scroll through as if we all decided to post for each sign up and renewal.

"Hey guys, signed up for another month today!"

"My renewal processed last night, just thought I'd let everyone know!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't think anyone's going to get something as neat as that foot catch into a slap into a roll into the Yes Lock out of Reigns anytime soon.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Been seeing a lot of people saying "if this was an episode of RAW then it'd be considered a great one' and I jut want to shout that I don't (or rather didn't) subscribe to the network to watch a PPV that is the same quality as a good RAW.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

I don't think anyone's going to get something as neat as that foot catch into a slap into a roll into the Yes Lock out of Reigns anytime soon.

besides this I felt the elbow blows he delivered while pinning bryan down were pretty vicious looking (in spite of WWE's lovely action cam) but it was still really obvious that bryan was holding his hand the whole way. reigns would legitimately be a worthy champ if he'd had another couple of years (or less) to work on his independence but that wasn't good enough for vince I guess.

highlight of the ppv is still the announcement for the men's fitness or whatever article starring vince though.

e:

Testekill posted:

Been seeing a lot of people saying "if this was an episode of RAW then it'd be considered a great one' and I jut want to shout that I don't (or rather didn't) subscribe to the network to watch a PPV that is the same quality as a good RAW.

what's the sample size for what's considered a good raw because I wouldn't really give it even that honor.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Testekill posted:

This was very much a PPV like Battleground where the idea was to just keep building towards another, bigger show a month away. In other words, largely a waste of time.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I mean I can take a bad PPV if it's amusingly bad. This was just such a boring three hours.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Testekill posted:

I mean I can take a bad PPV if it's amusingly bad. This was just such a boring three hours.

The fire alarm went off in my apartment during the PPV. That wasn't boring. I'd give the fire alarm ***

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

DjHomeless posted:

The fire alarm went off in my apartment during the PPV. That wasn't boring. I'd give the fire alarm ***

gotta keep sprinkler system strong, brother

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

It was a bad show but I think people are just being over the top because:

1) It was free so you'd THINK WWE would want to put on a good show for people like me who gave it a shot for solely that reason.
2) It was the setup for WM and WM looks very pedestrian.
3) The whole Bryan/Reigns thing really doesn't make a lot of sense.
4) Everyone tends to be a little hyperbolic the night of.

Honestly for me it's mostly because I'm spoiled by NXT, which is somehow run by the same company. It's like if Nickelback somehow had a really awesome side project where they worked with extremely talented indie artists.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

DjHomeless posted:

that was just Cesaro's music

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This was a bad episode of Raw.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I liked:
- The tag match, go Kiddsaro
- The womens match until the finish
- Rusev/Cena was a good match, it's amazing to me that this Rusev is the same as the guy in NXT, but I thoroughly enjoy his matches
- Bray's troll promo

Did not like:
- Ambrose finish, dumb as hell
- Women's match finish. You had powerbombs and a Bama Slamma, don't end it with a loving rollup
- The buildup to IC title and Dust Brothers was ineffective, nobody really gave a poo poo
- Kane and Show being anywhere near a PPV win, the moment Kane won was when the crowd just went WELP

I don't hate Reigns winning clean. I hate that he kicked out of the Knees but whatever. If your plan was for Reigns to get this push, then give him the push. But don't be surprised when Lesnar is treated as the face and that massive bump Reigns was supposed to get from the Mania win ends up to be nothing. The biggest crime in all of this is that the loving white hot heat that Lesnar had for breaking the streak is going to be wasted.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I went in only caring about the Rusev match, I went out only satisfied with the Rusev match. So I guess I can't complain.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I've been following wrestling for a month in that I've had RAW on in the background on Hulu Plus twice, listened to a few wrestling podcasts and followed SA's threads on it.

Is the WWE like Saturday Night Live where every year is the worst year until 5-10 years later when suddenly those were "the good ole days" and NOW is when it REALLY SUCKS or is WWE actually bad right now?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Soul Glo posted:

I've been following wrestling for a month in that I've had RAW on in the background on Hulu Plus twice, listened to a few wrestling podcasts and followed SA's threads on it.

Is the WWE like Saturday Night Live where every year is the worst year until 5-10 years later when suddenly those were "the good ole days" and NOW is when it REALLY SUCKS or is WWE actually bad right now?

WWE is not the company it was 5 years ago. The final death rattle of kayfabe, the various wellness outrages, infighting from the fact that at it's core wrestling is run by a bunch of carnies, the show became child friendly. Even WWE begrudgingly admits this, there's a reason that 90% of the WWE Network is nostalgia shows about the Federation that was.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

The comparison isn't totally accurate for lots of reasons but if you are asking if lots of people are super hyperbolic about wwe and how bad it is than yes.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Sex Robot posted:

the show became child friendly.

other than the side effect of cena consistently being made overly strong because he's so locked in with the kids, I'm not really sure this can be levied as a complaint. pre pg era gave us such gems as: divas being exclusively sexual objects above and beyond what they are today, rape angles, weirdos getting hardons because by god that man intentionally shoved a razor into his flesh boy howdy what a match what a match

and I guess they have to say fanny instead of rear end or whatever but really big woop.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

A Lamer posted:

other than the side effect of cena consistently being made overly strong because he's so locked in with the kids, I'm not really sure this can be levied as a complaint. pre pg era gave us such gems as: divas being exclusively sexual objects above and beyond what they are today, rape angles, weirdos getting hardons because by god that man intentionally shoved a razor into his flesh boy howdy what a match what a match

and I guess they have to say fanny instead of rear end or whatever but really big woop.

I think that's the thing, the diva's still are treated as sex objects (Paige showed up last raw wearing only a towel), people are still bleeding. The only difference now is people don't even say drat and they have promo's with grumpy cat.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just seems weird from an relatively outsider perspective: I followed wrestling as a kid into the Attitude Era a bit and have paid relatively little attention to it over the years. There seems to be a constant deluge of criticism coming at WWE while also holding it as the standard against stuff like Ring of Honor and New Japan (I've been listening to the Power Bombcast :eng101:)

Also it seems that the fourth wall has been torn down as far as story (KAYFABE and whatnot) is concerned in service of appeasing fans; WWE seems to be trying to react as quickly as possible to general criticism. HHH goes on Stone Cold's podcast and actually recognizes concerns, they actually put their golden boy against the fan-favorite at Fastlane to try to legitimize his claim to the title, Bray is going after Undertaker, etc. I guess the hardcore crowd just isn't satisfied/offended by pandering? :shrug:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Eltoasto posted:

The biggest crime in all of this is that the loving white hot heat that Lesnar had for breaking the streak is going to be wasted.

But it will magically transfer the Streak heat to Reigns by proxy and then everyone will love him because that's how it works! :haw:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Soul Glo posted:

half and half -- people frequently have nostalgia for things that really weren't that good at the time (see: attitude era), but there's also lots of legit complains to be levied about a lot of things in WWE and there's a bunch of other places with better wrestling and better writing to compare it to (including the loving developmental division of WWE).

You'll also get a lot of the standard 'I was in a thread/room/etc with a large group of people who all thought X about it and as such we all thought X even more intensely than we would in a vaccuum' sort of pseudo-groupthink right after a show/PPV, so things might end up being a lot more intense than warranted

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Oh my god, I remember when there were stories of Vince wanting Roman to end the streak, I guess by proxy that's what he's doing.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Soul Glo posted:

Just seems weird from an relatively outsider perspective: I followed wrestling as a kid into the Attitude Era a bit and have paid relatively little attention to it over the years. There seems to be a constant deluge of criticism coming at WWE while also holding it as the standard against stuff like Ring of Honor and New Japan (I've been listening to the Power Bombcast :eng101:)

Also it seems that the fourth wall has been torn down as far as story (KAYFABE and whatnot) is concerned in service of appeasing fans; WWE seems to be trying to react as quickly as possible to general criticism. HHH goes on Stone Cold's podcast and actually recognizes concerns, they actually put their golden boy against the fan-favorite at Fastlane to try to legitimize his claim to the title, Bray is going after Undertaker, etc. I guess the hardcore crowd just isn't satisfied/offended by pandering? :shrug:

Focus on storylines, character, and having good matches and both hardcore and casual fans will be satisfied. WWE has all the tools it needs to be a media juggernaut, it's just run by schmucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Sex Robot posted:

I think that's the thing, the diva's still are treated as sex objects (Paige showed up last raw wearing only a towel), people are still bleeding. The only difference now is people don't even say drat and they have promo's with grumpy cat.

divas are still in really bad shape (and will be as long as being a good looking, bitchy drama queen is a more important trait than being able to wrestle) but the paige locker room angle where her clothes got stolen and she had to improvise isn't really on the same level as trish stratus half naked and made to bark in the ring or the implied in ring sex between lita and edge. people bleed because some people can't wrestle and it's still a very physical performance despite all of the fakery and safety precautions, rather than throwing each other onto thumb tacks or intentionally raking razors across their foreheads, or otherwise beating each other half to death until they're so mentally bruised that they commit murder suicides.

• Locked thread