Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nest Protect
More like Nest Reject
There's a reason Tony Fadell doesn't work at Apple anymore LOL
Another fine product from the maker of Android and Google Glass
LOL and these chucklefucks want me to trust them with a self-driving car?
View Results

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LMFAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

Cannot (by law, apparently) be turned off when it detects "emergency" levels of smoke. If you are a rich idiot and have more than one Nest Protect, you can silence all but the one that first detected the emergency. Guess how often it they falsely detect emergency smoke levels? :allears:

Silencing a false alarm for "emergency" smoke levels requires removing the battery, which (at least for the model that can be wired to main power) requires disassembling the unit with a screwdriver. Or a hammer, depending on how long you tried to silence it before thinking to pull the battery.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
seen it

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
welp :tipshat:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
good poo poo, OP

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

doc block I picture you as the fat glasses kid from hot tub time machine why is that

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
everyone knows that, op

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

nice IRL Portal play through

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

DNova posted:

doc block I picture you as the fat glasses kid from hot tub time machine why is that

IDK :iiam:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

DNova posted:

thats doc evil you're thinking of

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
you're fire alarm... is a piece of poo poo :lol::lol::laffo::boom:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL other smoke alarms don't have the stupid inability to turn them off.

"No, see, it won't shut off because, ummm, the government! Yeah, The Government won't let us let you silence false alarms..."

*Is Nest, a Google company*

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

DNova posted:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
wasn't nest originally started by a former apple guy

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yes, Tony Fadell. See: the poll

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

DNova posted:

weird i don't. i think of him as a cool, normal guy

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
i'm a total weirdo IRL

but a cool total weirdo

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Doc Block posted:

i'm a total weirdo IRL

but a cool total weirdo

weirdo can be good as long as you're cool

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i think teh poll shows that number 2 was teh least funny option

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I realized it was a POS when their $100 smoke alarm "helpfully" expires after 7 years.

quote:

How do I know when it’s time to replace my Nest Protect?

Nest Protect will let you know it needs to be replaced about a few weeks before it expires. When this happens, Nest Protect will pulse yellow. Press the Nest button on Nest Protect and it will say,“Nest Protect has expired. Replace it now.” Your Nest app will also alert you when it’s time for a replacement.

https://nest.com/support/article/When-do-I-need-to-replace-my-Nest-Protect

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

TerminalRaptor posted:

I realized it was a POS when their $100 smoke alarm "helpfully" expires after 7 years.

https://nest.com/support/article/When-do-I-need-to-replace-my-Nest-Protect

well if you're going to get a system of nest smoke detectors, you can probably afford to get new ones 7 years later, and they'll probably be a lot different by then and better (or nonexistent lol)

then again, regular smoke detectors work just fine. did you know they work by having a radiation detector constantly detect radiation emitted from a tiny bit of americium? if the radiation is blocked due to smoke, it no longer detects it and the alarm goes off

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the protect uses an optical sensor u maroon

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

why don't they just detect if you have an android in your home and set off the alarm then?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

why don't they just detect if you have an android in your home and set off the alarm then?

that would be a poor detector, not a smoke detector

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

I went all out on our home and upgraded everything to the Nest line of products; 10 smoke detectors and 2 thermostats. I'm one of those early-adopter types striving to create a fully "connected home". The past year has been a massive disappointment; I had high hopes for these products but they are just too unreliable to install in your home. I am uninstalling every piece of Nest gear and sending back to the company.

Shortly after installing the Nest Protect units, we started getting "false positives". We started getting these about once every two weeks, driving my family absolutely up the walls. Time after time, the Protect system would wake up our family in the middle of the night, and we'd have to run around the house to find the right unit, climb up on a ladder and "hush" the system.

After 5-6 of these annoying events, we contacted the Nest company to complain. They have replaced about six of the units, some more than once. The false alarms continued. When a friend was watching the house, she couldn't get the alarm to stop, so she had to yank the units down and put them in the garage just to get some rest. More units were replaced, but it the false positives continued. Nest claims some units are overly sensitive, which leads to false positives. In our experience, over half the units we've had (from a variety of sources; Amazon, directly from Nest, and Home Depot) triggered a false positive.

The terminal event occurred last night. My wife and I were at a close friend's wedding, and our babysitter called to let us know the alarms were going off. This time, she couldn't get the unit to "hush". The alarms went off for over an hour late at night, and the babysitter had to take the kids out of the house and sit in her car for an hour just to get a break--- Nest literally ran my kids out of their own home. We apologized to the wedding party, jumped in the car, and sped home. Nest ruined a night we'll never get back; when an overpriced, defective technology has that kind of control over your life, something is wrong.

Nest products are unsafe due to the high number of false positives. We have had approximately 15 false positives in the last six months from almost every device in our home. I urge everyone to consider Protect as a "neat gadget", but please don't put your family's safety in their hands. Nest's marketing department wants you to believe the "old school" smoke detectors were unsafe because people took the batteries out. I find that comical, since my Nest Protects have spent a good portion of their life outside or in the garage in an attempt to silence the alarms and get some sleep.

On a related note, their thermostats are great, until they lock up randomly and turn your heat or A/C off. This happens from time to time--- perhaps once every six months. Not a big deal? It was 21 degrees outside last night and our main Nest unit "froze" about 10pm. Terribly unsafe. Nest claims this happens "during upgrades" that the push out on their own schedule. I guess their strategy is to hope that nobody relies on the thermostat to work consistently? What would have happened if I didn't notice the thermostat was off? Burst, frozen pipes, most likely.

The whole Nest concept is great; replace antiquated smoke detectors and thermostats with "smart" new technology. However, they failed to realize that a consumer's thermostat and smoke detectors MUST WORK RELIABLY, 100% of the time. Nest's products are 99% reliable, but that 1% failure rate is unacceptable for products that are relied upon to protect your home, family, and property. Buyer beware--- these products are not ready for prime time, and frankly put your family in more danger than traditional, "old fashioned" technology.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

My wife and I were at a close friend's wedding, and our babysitter called to let us know the alarms were going off. This time, she couldn't get the unit to "hush". The alarms went off for over an hour late at night, and the babysitter had to take the kids out of the house and sit in her car for an hour just to get a break--- Nest literally ran my kids out of their own home.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

a google product is bad??

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i dont understand why you cant hush the alarm if youre physically pressing it. who the hell thought that was a good idea

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

com.android.smokealarm.button has stopped working

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pram posted:

i dont understand why you cant hush the alarm if youre physically pressing it. who the hell thought that was a good idea
if you could hush an alarm with a button then a malicious fire could do the same

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
google is good

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

You can hit the silence button but the wireless network will just transport the alert message around forever, so until every nest alarm has been unpowered you are hosed

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

that must be the exact poo poo
original smoke alarm gets its own message back again from another device and goes off
And this means
you can spoof alarms
And make anyone's nests go crazy forever

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
in a post-scarcity world instead of jobs or hobbies we will occupy ourselves by living in houses with dozens of interconnected devices working together to terrify us via built-in sirens strobe lights and little spinning razorblades

it's exactly why there weren't any toilets in star trek you don't want people to get too comfortable

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
op this vid is old and youre a bad poster in general. i remember one time you said something really dumb but i cant remember what it was

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
:siren: ik challenge: make a vid of:

1) ur smoke alarm edited to have a classic YOSPOS meme on it and you hitting it a lot

2) put some cum on a smoke alarm

if a YOSPOSTer make a better thing ima probe you

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lmao nest is the most apple product created outside apple

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Smythe posted:

1) ur smoke alarm edited to have a classic YOSPOS meme on it and you hitting it a lot

smythe, would it be possible to get a list of classic yospos memes? i for one am not very familiar with which memes are currently the best/most classic and i don't want to potentially be at a disadvantage in this challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

• Locked thread