Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Actually I know too little about dick, I should really work on my dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
all I need to know about dicks is what Toady's mad beautiful dream has to say about them

Urist Boatloves has an uncut dick. The dick is 3.4 inches long. The dick was covered with own fine lint lately.It is a small appendage that grows mightily in length and girth when aroused.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

AND menaces with spikes

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

The Sharmat posted:

all I need to know about dicks is what Toady's mad beautiful dream has to say about them

Urist Boatloves has an uncut dick. The dick is 3.4 inches long. The dick was covered with own fine lint lately.It is a small appendage that grows mightily in length and girth when aroused.

you're missing the list of fluids currently covering it

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They got soaked up by the dick-lint.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Scales are conceived of as two chords built using a division of the perfect fourth interval into eleven notes.

lol thats some ugly fuckin music

program666
Aug 22, 2013

What should I do?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dr. Furious posted:

you're missing the list of fluids currently covering it

I think you missed the most important detail
code:
it is fat

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

owl milk posted:

I really really hope there's someone actually trying to perform these insane fictional musical forms

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Has anybody said Dwarf Fartress yet?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Now that you've, we can finally ship this baby off to Le Goldmine.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Onkel Hedwig posted:

You have struck Raw adamantine! Praise the miners!

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Now that you've, we can finally ship this baby off to Le Goldmine.

Horrifying screams come from the darkness below!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

program666 posted:

What should I do?

press a and forget it ever happened because it will never come up in gamepley in any way

Soral
May 30, 2009

program666 posted:

What should I do?

show me what IMG_20<obscured> is

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Soral posted:

show me what IMG_20<obscured> is

my friday night

program666
Aug 22, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

press a and forget it ever happened because it will never come up in gamepley in any way

I imagine if you play adventurer you get to see some effects of it? I mean this is a new mechanic to me but I'm thinking that maybe this report on news was so huge because it was a vampire-amphibian-man envoy from the human nation, the guy from the goblin nation had a much smaller report and it was mostly about a single group conquering multiple settlements so I'm guessing I would be seeing more of these guys both on fortress and adventure mode that I will otherwise no?

Soral
May 30, 2009

program666 posted:

my friday night

nice :cheers:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

program666 posted:

I imagine if you play adventurer you get to see some effects of it? I mean this is a new mechanic to me but I'm thinking that maybe this report on news was so huge because it was a vampire-amphibian-man envoy from the human nation, the guy from the goblin nation had a much smaller report and it was mostly about a single group conquering multiple settlements so I'm guessing I would be seeing more of these guys both on fortress and adventure mode that I will otherwise no?

half of it is names of dwarves kidnapped by goblins. every ingame story, legend or description can by safely ignored with zero consequence

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Toady has crafted a world that, like the real one, simply does not care about you, the player. I think it is testament to the depth of his vision that none of the legends effect anything in game.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

wait wait wait, you can ignore because there is no gameplay consequence but you can find a zombie that was a notable figure and then read up on the story of said zombie on the legends right? Also if I see a group conquering multiple settlements like I mentioned, and then this same group invade my fort and succeed I can go in adventure mode an hunt down said group right?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

program666 posted:

wait wait wait, you can ignore because there is no gameplay consequence but you can find a zombie that was a notable figure and then read up on the story of said zombie on the legends right? Also if I see a group conquering multiple settlements like I mentioned, and then this same group invade my fort and succeed I can go in adventure mode an hunt down said group right?

Sure.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I don't believe you wormskull, you seem like a troll most of the time.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You can do those things and have been able to for 5 or 6 years now.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I never played adventure mode but I think the notables from history turning into zombies is more recent than that. But the other thing about hunting down nations, I guess exists for a while but the state of the rest of the world would be frozen while playing fortress mode so you didn't get news about a group of people conquering stuff until recently as well.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, gameplay wise this only really changes the name of the people invading you or the name of the zombie, but it's slightly interesting.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
right now dwarf doctors' absolute lowest priority is healing people and they will try to do anything else before doing it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Doctor Goat posted:

right now dwarf doctors' absolute lowest priority is healing people and they will try to do anything else before doing it

Toady is american, so this is pretty accurate. Just needs the dorf doctor to be able to hire dorf assistants

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

program666 posted:

What should I do?

Kill the ambassador, she's a frogwoman vampire.

EDIT:

Krotera fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 3, 2015

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

owl milk posted:

"The entire performance should feel mournful."

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Krotera posted:

Kill the ambassador, she's a frogwoman vampire.

EDIT:

I thought about it but I didn't want to enter a war with humans, will these ambassadors turn my dwarfs into vampires? I did find my first drained body

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

program666 posted:

I thought about it but I didn't want to enter a war with humans, will these ambassadors turn my dwarfs into vampires? I did find my first drained body

Not unless they bleed somewhere and your dwarves eat it. Either they did it or you have one already.

If you figure out who you can dump them in a well and let them bleed in it -- that'll turn everyone and you won't have to worry. Downside is that new migrants are toast and your existing dwarves won't satisfy their alcohol dependence, so they'll get really slow. (A lot of people mod that out.)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

well, that sounds like FUN!

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

program666 posted:

well, that sounds like FUN!

Just remember, when vampires take breaks, that appears in a slightly different color on the active jobs screen, so look for that. I think it's either a darker or a lighter color than the default one. It's either teal or yellow, I can't remember which. (might be brown -- which is how DF handles dark yellow.) You'll probably want to check that pretty often. (like every couple steps. Use the period key to go frame-by-frame.)

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

Oh, I should clarify, it doesn't always appear in a different color. But it won't ever appear in the alternate color for non-vampires.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Krotera posted:

Just remember, when vampires take breaks, that appears in a slightly different color on the active jobs screen, so look for that. I think it's either a darker or a lighter color than the default one. It's either teal or yellow, I can't remember which. (might be brown -- which is how DF handles dark yellow.) You'll probably want to check that pretty often. (like every couple steps. Use the period key to go frame-by-frame.)

:awesomelon:

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

PleasingFungus posted:

A form of music used for entertainment originating in The Helpful Confederacy. The rules of the form are applied by composers of individual songs. Two singers recite nonsensical words and sounds, while the music is played on a begu and two tubu. The entire performance should feel mournful.

Each singer always does the main melody.

The begu always does the main melody.

Each tubu always does the main melody.

The form has a well-defined multi-passage structure: a brief introduction, a brief passage and an additional brief passage possibly all repeated, a brief finale and a brief coda.

The introduction slows and broadens, and it is to be in whispered undertones. The passage is performed using the lastta scale and in free rhythm.

The first simple passage is extremely fast, and it is to be in whispered undertones. The passage is performed using the nek scale and in the agthreb rhythm. The passage should be composed and performed using grace notes.

The second simple passage gradually slows as it comes to an end, and it is to be loud. The passage is performed using the ramet scale and in the eman rhythm.

The finale is moderately paced, and it is to be loud. The passage is performed using the ozi scale and in the kes rhythm.

The coda is half the tempo of the last passage, and it is to be in whispered undertones. The passage is performed using the lastta scale and in the seggu rhythm.

Scales are conceived of as two chords built using a division of the perfect fourth interval into eleven notes. The tonic note is a fixed tone passed from teacher to student.

As always, the lastta hexatonic scale is thought of as two disjoint chords drawn from the fundamental division of the perfect fourth. These chords are named use and dik.

The use trichord is the 1st, the 4th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

The dik tetrachord is the 1st, the 2nd, the 8th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

As always, the nek hexatonic scale is thought of as two disjoint chords drawn from the fundamental division of the perfect fourth. These chords are named ilpi and othag.

The ilpi trichord is the 1st, the 5th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

The othag tetrachord is the 1st, the 4th, the 6th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

As always, the ramet heptatonic scale is thought of as two disjoint chords drawn from the fundamental division of the perfect fourth. These chords are named agtha and woge.

The agtha tetrachord is the 1st, the 4th, the 8th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

The woge tetrachord is the 1st, the 7th, the 8th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

As always, the ozi hexatonic scale is thought of as two disjoint chords drawn from the fundamental division of the perfect fourth. These chords are named ilpi and woge.

The agthreb rhythm is made from two patterns: the shato (considered the primary) and the musda. The patterns are to be played over the same period of time, concluding together regardless of beat number.

The shato rhythm is a single line with twenty-eight beats divided into seven bars in a 4-4-4-4-4-4-4 pattern. The beats are named almef (spoken alm), onod (on), osp (osp) and arin (ar). The beat is stressed as follows:

| x x x X | x - - - | x x x X | - x - x | - - x`- | x !`x - | x - - - |

where ! marks the primary accent, X marks an accented beat, ` marks a beat as early, x is a beat, - is silent and | indicates a bar.

The musda rhythm is a single line with two beats. The beats are named uzu (spoken uz) and onaf (on). The beat is stressed as follows:

| x'x |

where ' marks a beat as late, x is a beat and | indicates a bar.

The eman rhythm is made from two patterns: the ani (considered the primary) and the ohe. The patterns are to be played over the same period of time, concluding together regardless of beat number.

The ani rhythm is a single line with two beats. The beat is stressed as follows:

| - x |

where x is a beat, - is silent and | indicates a bar.

The ohe rhythm is a single line with thirty-two beats divided into four bars in a 8-8-8-8 pattern. The beat is stressed as follows:

| - - - - - x x - | - - - - - x - - | - x`- - - - - - | - x - - - - x X |

where X marks an accented beat, ` marks a beat as early, x is a beat, - is silent and | indicates a bar.

The kes rhythm is a single line with eight beats divided into four bars in a 2-2-2-2 pattern. The beats are named suku (spoken su) and rorec (ro). The beat is stressed as follows:

| - x | - x | x x | x x'|

where ' marks a beat as late, x is a beat, - is silent and | indicates a bar.

The seggu rhythm is made from two patterns: the ohe and the rostfen.

The rostfen rhythm is a single line with thirty-two beats divided into four bars in a 8-8-8-8 pattern. The beat is stressed as follows:

| - - - x'- x'- !`| - x`- - - - - - | - X x x - - x`- | - X x'- - x x x |

where ! marks the primary accent, X marks an accented beat, ` marks a beat as early, ' marks a beat as late, x is a beat, - is silent and | indicates a bar.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
people who follow df aar threads just to get dwarfed are the worst, and the saddest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I liked that time that guy played a year of dwarf fortress in-character as the dude from Deadwood and I think that's about as good as a dwarf fortress thread will ever be

• Locked thread