Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So just like Theatre of War? :v:

So what game doesn't have lovely infantry modeling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

JcDent posted:

So what game doesn't have lovely infantry modeling?

Close Combat?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Triple A posted:

Close Combat?

Well, in all fairness, I picked up Gravitieam for the Cold War DlCs, so I'm kind of hosed, anyways.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

JcDent posted:

Well, in all fairness, I picked up Gravitieam for the Cold War DlCs, so I'm kind of hosed, anyways.

The Cold war DLCs for that game are excellent, with the exception of the border incident one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 03: The Outskirts of Maknassy

http://youtu.be/c0lUWmtpCF0

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Mission 03: The Outskirts of Maknassy

http://youtu.be/c0lUWmtpCF0

Not available in Germany :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nuramor posted:

Not available in Germany :(

Germany, what's your problem with Chariots of Fire?

Mission 03A: The Outskirts of Copyright Laws

http://youtu.be/XSOuWT822_w

Its processing, give it some time. Thank you :)

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 12, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Africa 1943 - Italian Campaign: Centauro

Mission 04: Sirocco above the Kasserine

quote:

In the morning of 20 February, the Afrika Korps performed a major strike in the direction of the Kasserine pass. The 5th Bersagliery Regiment was assigned to the right flank. The Italians were supported by German guns. The units of the 15th Tank Division and the Centauro tank battalion remained in reserve.

The Bersaglieri were advancing under heavy artillery and mortar fire; nevertheless, they successfully captured Djebel Semama after a hard-fought battle.

No New Equipment

Deployable Units

We can deploy 2600 points of units

2 x Armoured Cars
5 x Tanks
5 x Tank Destroyers
4 x Infantry Detachments

Force composition votes/selections to tomorrow at noon EST.

Due to real life stuff, next video will be posted next tuesday/wednesday instead of monday.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 12, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So,

4x Semovente (800)
5x Expensive Tank (1350)
4x Infantry (200)
2x Armored Car (180)

And that's all?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 04: Sirocco above the Kasserine

http://youtu.be/EHMFx_5H5aM

Come on Italy, stop making me wish you had better equipment!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Which mission didn't end with 70-90% casualties?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Which mission didn't end with 70-90% casualties?

Im sure some of the defensive missions didnt have such horrific losses, but with Italy you just feel like they are so helpless and incapable of doing much. :sigh: And I ran out of time to mention something else which will have to wait until next time, which further adds to the mediocrity of our units.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Due to some house-sitting duties far away from my comp, no briefing post until next Monday, and hopefully a video a day or two later.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mission 05: The Rocks of El Hamra

quote:

On 21 February, Rommel sent a reconnaissance unit, including a small M14 tank unit from the Centauro Division, to the north-west of the Kasserine Pass. The Italians spotted the positions of the 1st American Tank Division that was preparing to counter-attack.

At 14:00 hours, the units of the 15th Tank Division and Centauro Division occupied Djebel el Hamra and prepared to repel the enemy attack. The fighting went deep into the night. In the evening, a group of Semovente SPG arrived to support the infantry and eventually the American attacks were repelled.

Heavy resistance occurred on 23 February, too.

Guess we can expect some Semovente reinforcements, huh?

No New Equipment

Deployable Units

We have 1300 points remaining to deploy the following units

4 x Tanks
4 x Infantry Detachments

Force composition votes/selections to tomorrow at noon EST. Yeah, no. We don't have any variety so off we go on a recon mission!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

A Quora effortpost on why Jobbo is having so little fun.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

A Quora effortpost on why Jobbo is having so little fun.

Hehe, yeah. It'll be apparent in the video that war isn't going too well for my Italians, but I can fault the developers for that one. As for the real engagements, Italy was punching way above their head and is a clear example of a country with big dreams but little in the way of accomplishing them. When you're having a hard time taking out the Greeks while trying to promote yourself as a world power, you know you've got some problems.

And, being perfectly honest, this campaign hasn't been too bad. Mission 05 though... yeah, the video will show you guys why it's worse than the Kasserine Pass.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 05: The Rocks of El Hamra

http://youtu.be/W7H31qh9e5A

For those of you who have watched, here are the weapons/vehicles/things that I was referring to or talked about directly. Keep in mind that the Italians did, or could have, used these weapons, and yet they are completely absent from the game which ends up creating a huge disadvantage for the player.

[Self Propelled Guns]

Autocannone da 76/30 R.M. - 7 still operational by March 1943, in the Centauro Armored Division

Autocannone da 90/53 (Lancia 3 Ro) - 140mm of penetration at 500 yards (Vertical plate), was used by the Centauro Armored Division

Semovente 90/53 - Limited production self-propelled gun capable of engaging targets over long distances thanks to its 90mm gun.

[Heavy Machine Guns]

Matrigliace Breda modello 37 - 19.3kg weight, fed with 20-round magazines or flat trays and low rate of fire

[Anti-Tank Guns]

Cannone contracarro da 37/45 - A license-built copy of the 3.7cm Pak 36

Cannone da 47/32 - Licensed production in Italy of the Austrian-designed Bohler gun

[Anti-Air Guns]

Cannone-Mitragliera da 20/65 modello 35 (Breda) - Used in the AB 41 and L6 vehicles.

Cannone-Mitragliera da 20/77 (Scotti) - Similar to the Breda model; lighter and easier to produce

Cannone-Mitragliera da 37/54 modello 39 - Very limited effectiveness, unremarkable in many ways

Cannone da 75/46 C.A. modello 34 - 90mm of penetration at 500 meters, limited availability

Cannone da 75/50 C.A. modello 33 - Not to be confused with the other 75/50 gun, heavier and worse than the 75/46

Cannone da 90/53 - A very successful Italian design

[Mortars]

45/5 Modello 35 "Brixia" - A neat light mortar with good qualities but small payload.

81/14 Modello 35 - Italian copy of the French 81mm mortar

And this isn't as if you couldn't learn or find out about these items. Hell, all I have is some computer/searching knowledge, books, and a desire to know more. And while I'm thinking about it, it appears very strange to not include any of these items while also having an entire 8 mission campaign dedicated specifically to the Italians. You read that correctly, by the way, they get more missions than any other nation with some of the worst equipment and odds.

:sigh:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Russians feed on masochism, I guess.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mission 06: Djebel Berda

quote:

After a final breach of the Mareth Line, the units of the 2nd American Corps attempted to cut off the Italian and German forces that were withdrawing along the coastline. The Americans were met by the defending 10th German Tank Division near Djebel el Mhaylat and Centauro units with the Imperial Special Brigade near Djebel Berda.

Due to the lack of forces, the defending party used an interconnected chain of fortified strong points, armed with anti-tank weapons and located favorably, than a single line of defense. Behind the fortified points, mobile armoured groups were operating, with a task to eliminate all possible breaches by the enemy.

No New Equipment

Deployable Units

Hey, is that an 88mm and a Pak 38... that the developers could have given us last mission? :bang:

We have 1600 points remaining to deploy the following units

2 x Tanks
2 x Tank Destroyers
2 x Anti-tank Guns
1 x Anti-air Gun
4 x Infantry Detachments

Force composition votes/selections to tomorrow at noon EST.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

2 x Better tanks 540
2 x Semoventes 400
1 x Flak88 200
1 x Pak38 110
4 x Infantry 200

And points to spare, since Italian missions suck.

We make a good team, Jobbo. I love building lists (tho not thinking very deep about them), you like taking them to the field.

But this game doesn't let you do joke lists, now does it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

But this game doesn't let you do joke lists, now does it?

What're you talking about? We've been using joke lists for 5 missions straight! :v:

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I applaud you for keeping this going. I'm sure you love torturing yourself like this for the entertainment of others. I would have burned this thing off my hard drive quite a while ago!

Maybe Kursk will be better? Maybe you'll get to fight Ferdinands with T34/76 '41 models.

Also holy poo poo these Italian missions. They almost remind me of the Polish missions. Almost.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iceshade posted:

I applaud you for keeping this going. I'm sure you love torturing yourself like this for the entertainment of others. I would have burned this thing off my hard drive quite a while ago!

Maybe Kursk will be better? Maybe you'll get to fight Ferdinands with T34/76 '41 models.

Also holy poo poo these Italian missions. They almost remind me of the Polish missions. Almost.

Honestly, Africa 1943's biggest downside is that its not Kursk 1943. And it could've used polishing. At least the Polish campaign was short, so any lack of offensive or defensive capabilities was hardly felt; the Italians on the other hand have the longest campaign we've seen to date and a deceptively small selection of equipment to choose from.

As for Kursk, it has so many quality of life improvements that I could be getting swamped by legions of KV-2's and still have a better time than what I'm going through with the Italians. That being said, I believe there will be one glaring issue with Kursk but I don't want to spoil it for myself until we see that game in action.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Honestly, Africa 1943's biggest downside is that its not Kursk 1943. And it could've used polishing. At least the Polish campaign was short, so any lack of offensive or defensive capabilities was hardly felt; the Italians on the other hand have the longest campaign we've seen to date and a deceptively small selection of equipment to choose from.

As for Kursk, it has so many quality of life improvements that I could be getting swamped by legions of KV-2's and still have a better time than what I'm going through with the Italians. That being said, I believe there will be one glaring issue with Kursk but I don't want to spoil it for myself until we see that game in action.

Italy!

I actually tried playing Heart of Iron 3 as them to see if having me - a guy who has never finished a game of HoI - instead of Mussolini would help Germany. Took over most of the Balkans, Greece and Krete, but then RN and the French pushed my poo poo in, and I got the ol' "I could be doing more worthwhile stuff" instead feeling.

Here's hoping for HoI4

EDIT: I only recently realized that Wargame doesn't have infantry mortars either, but that game doesn't have much in the way of support weapons in general (the USSR somehow get Grenade MG squad for some reason). Of course, if you want tiny manz with all the support option, you play Men of War and lament them going Assault Squad silly instead of actual campaign missions. The Crete/Krete paradrop in the first game is my fav mission by far.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 4, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

EDIT: I only recently realized that Wargame doesn't have infantry mortars either, but that game doesn't have much in the way of support weapons in general (the USSR somehow get Grenade MG squad for some reason). Of course, if you want tiny manz with all the support option, you play Men of War Combat Mission

:homebrew:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

With the added bonus of inflated prices and circa 2000 websites!

EDIT:

JcDent fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 4, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 06: Djebel Berda

http://youtu.be/T93XELeZFSI

This is a holiday vacation when compared to the last mission.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mission 07: Diversionary Attack

quote:

On 3 April, the units of the Italian Centauro Tank Division and Superga Infantry Division performed a local offensive operation to the east of El Guettar, in an attempt to draw the attention of the Allied forces away from the coastal frontline.

After intense battles, they successfully forced the Americans back around 10km to the west. The Axis forces successfully repelled poorly coordinated attacks of the British and American forces up to 6 April 1943.

No New Equipment

Deployable Units

All of a sudden, High Command really wants us to make us of German AA/AT guns. I still can't figure out why the devs give us so many to play with, yet so few points/slots to use them.

We have 2300 points remaining to deploy the following units

2 x Tanks
4 x Tank Destroyers
2 x Anti-tank Guns
2 x Anti-air Gun
4 x Infantry Detachments

Force composition votes/selections end tomorrow at noon EST.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

2 x lovely Italian tanks 540
4 x Somoventes (I only like them because of StuG bias) 800
2 x Pak38 220
2 x Flak44 400
4 x GroPos... infantry 200

Can you even complete missions if you're not taking the most expensive, top of the line stuff?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Can you even complete missions if you're not taking the most expensive, top of the line stuff?

Yes, but it becomes really situational and luck-based depending on what you don't bring. In the German campaign, I could pass up on Tiger tanks since Pz IV's are still pretty effective against enemy tanks. The Italians don't have the luxury of an expanded OOB like the Germans, so you're stuck using the same stuff over and over.

It also doesn't help that you can't run out of points, sometimes. Since Italian units are pretty bad, and thus worth less, you can end up with a point total available that you can never reach, which begs the question as to why they are so high to begin with.

Another thing we haven't used in a long time: Support. You'd expect them to have some air cover, artillery, or mortar support once in a while. :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 07: Diversionary Attack

https://youtu.be/Bgawf_6MVnw

Not so much an attack as a defense mission, we see ourselves having to defend a city in the usual mix of flat and hilly areas. Thankfully for us, we have some Germans guns to rely on for knocking out Allied armour.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mission 08: Hill 141

quote:

Hill 141 was a critical position in the Djebel Srafi sector, in the line of defense near Enfidaville. The high ground positions were held by an infantry battalion, support by several anti-tank guns and machine guns, and hill 141 itself was protected by the 2nd Company under command of captain Raumi.

On 25 April, the British Commonwealth forces suddenly attacked the positions. The attack was repelled, then after a hellish 45 minute artillery strike the enemy troops attacked again, supported by heavy mortar fire. The high ground changed hands a few times, but the Italians managed to drive the British out with a bayonet assault.

Who is Captain Raumi? What machine guns do we have?

The Italian campaign is really hurt by the fact that there's no narrative to keep this whole experience glued together.

No New Equipment

Deployable Forces

We have 1000 points remaining to deploy the following units

4 x Anti-tank Guns
6 x Infantry Detachments

Force composition selection needed ASAP.

Edit:
I can't wait to get to this

http://lpix.org/2210729/Kursk1943-teaser

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 15, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

6 x infantry
4 x all our AT guns

I have stopped following the storyline a long time ago. Hell, I barely register this being WWII

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Re: missions from the other side: I know there are some of those in the first ToW. For example, the first german mission is basically the first polish mission played from the other side.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ToW definitely re-uses some missions but from what I recall, it doesn't happen all that much. The same is true for ToW2-Africa, with maps such as Kasserine Pass being re-used several times but with enough changes to feel different each time.

I'm a little worried that Kursk will have duplicated missions, just played from the opposite side, yet I can't recall if the game goes into a-historical territory with the German campaign with the assumption that winning means Kursk was a success for them.

Speaking of Kursk, I think it's as good a time as ever for votes to determine which campaign we play to be cast.

Options are simple:
1. Germans
2. Russians

A. Play both campaigns, one after the other.
B. Play voted campaign, while showing off the loser via bonus content.

The final Italian mission will be posted earlier than normal, either tomorrow or friday. Kursk's tutorial mission will follow sometime next week, with a potential break to ensure I don't burnout on the series just yet.

Edit: Thread participation will be back in full gear for Kursk 1943, so get your requests and names in once we determine what campaign we're playing!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

1A
Don't wanna miss out on anything.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

2A cos I'm wehraboo or smth.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 08: Hill 141

https://youtu.be/kkWoAGYQCjs

And that's it for the Italian campaign. Altogether it wasn't bad, but the lack of some notable and/or interesting Italian designs really drags down its potential.

Edit: Whoops! Forgot to add the victory text.

quote:

After performing an offensive operation in the El Guettar area, the Axis forces were successfully repelling poorly coordinated attacks of the English and American forces up to 6 April 1943. However, on 12 April, the tank units of the Centauro Division were united with the 15th German Tank Division. The united divisional battle group, supported by the Bersaglieri, took positions near Takruna. On April 26, the last 10 M14/41 tanks were assigned to the 10th German Tank Division and the Centauro Division was officially disbanded. But the history of Centauro was not over, as later in Italy the 136th Tank Division was formed, receiving its name - the 136th Legionary Armored Division Centauro (136 Divisione Corazzata Legionaria Centauro) - right before the capitulation of Italy in September 1943. In September, the division trained near Rome and fought Germans that occupied Italy as part of the motorized corps (Corpo d'Armata Motocorazzato (CAM)).

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 17, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cheese it to win seems a part of every mission, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
[X]A!

I just want to see both of them, to be honest. Luckily I don't have to play them :v:

About the last couple of missions:

Wow, that infantry. And wow, that bad luck in the first attempt at mission 6. Do AI get any morale bonuses? It seems to be a recurring theme that enemy tanks are getting absolutely pounded by multiple guns, but they just don't give a crap. Like at the start of mission 7, those Shermans are getting shot and shot again and again. They lose both their tracks, they're getting shot in the side .. but they don't care. They just casually aim, fire once, and take out one of your tanks. -wow-

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 18, 2015

• Locked thread