Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Cheese it to win seems a part of every mission, really.

This is true for the Italian missions, but other campaigns went pretty well aside from a visit at Kasserine Pass

Iceshade posted:

[X]A!

I just want to see both of them, to be honest. Luckily I don't have to play them :v:

About the last couple of missions:

Wow, that infantry. And wow, that bad luck in the first attempt at mission 6. Do AI get any morale bonuses? It seems to be a recurring theme that enemy tanks are getting absolutely pounded by multiple guns, but they just don't give a crap. Like at the start of mission 7, those Shermans are getting shot and shot again and again. They lose both their tracks, they're getting shot in the side .. but they don't care. They just casually aim, fire once, and take out one of your tanks. -wow-

AI gets morale bonuses on Hard difficulty, but not at Normal. It's a common occurrence to see a tank take a beaten and still shoot, although sometimes a crew member will panic and become useless as we have seen several times with Italian tanks. Depending on the tank commander, their morale might be higher or lower than normal.

And yes, it is particularly annoying when you have a situation where, for example, you have two M14's putting rounds into the rear of a crusader III at a distance of around 500m and the Allied tank takes two shots to knock out both your tanks, receiving no damage in the process. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Reasons why Kursk is better than Africa

Get it? Cause it's a Tiger! HA. HA. sorry

Renaming your vehicles is great, and helps you keep track of them rather than having to figure out who is tank 04 or 82.

You also get the ability to change names to anything you want, with anyone you want.

And when choosing your units, since its one continuous campaign, they decided to give (I believe) all your unit pools from the get-go. This is much better since I don't have to pray I'll get better units in the following missions. It also means that all my forces are limited in quantity, and I can't just throw them away.

As an example, the four at the top-right of the unit card means I only have 4 SdKfz 222's in my unit pool. Better keep them safe!

And remember how sometimes, in Africa, you got random reinforcements? This time around, we get to choose them! :woop:

This doesn't even include all the unit additions, the more colourful terrain and the better engine powering the game!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Sounds rad, maybe I should actually instal this one!

Also, lol @4 SdKfz 222

Those recon units have no suvivability if this LP and my brief tryst with ToW3 has taught me anything,

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

JcDent posted:

Sounds rad, maybe I should actually instal this one!

Also, lol @4 SdKfz 222

Those recon units have no suvivability if this LP and my brief tryst with ToW3 has taught me anything,

Well, thats why you only have four, duh. All the others died on the way. :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Since the votes for which campaign we'll play is a draw, I've decided that the Russians will be played first. We haven't seen any of their toys yet, but they've got plenty to show off in Kursk!

Expect the Tutorial video up in the next few days, followed by a post on the Russian campaign + intro video.

For now, it gives you guys enough time to pick a unit and name the men/crew (and vehicle)!

And don't worry about the better units that will come later, swapping units/crews is quick and free, so choose what you like.

Note - Units with a red X can only come in as reinforcements.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 23, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'll take the mortair, name it Fritz-B-Gone

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

I'll take the mortair, name it Fritz-B-Gone

50mm or 82mm?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

50mm or 82mm?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943 - Tutorial Mission

https://youtu.be/Jv_mnEqEr90

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943

Soviet Campaign - Mission 01: Southern outskirts of Cherkasskoe

Briefing Summary posted:

The Germans have been assembling troops along our defensive perimeter for some time, and they have now decided to assault our positions. Prepare to defend yourself against them!

Rumour indicate they have heavy armoured support, along with artillery and air assets at their disposal.

Should your first line of defense falter, withdraw to the next line of fortifications and hold them back! We cannot afford to let the Germans break through.

New Equipment

7.62mm Maxim

A holdover from the first World War, the Maxim was built in large numbers and served the Russians well. By 1943, however, it was starting to show its age in weight and rate of fire, especially when compared to the MG-34/MG-43.

12.7mm DShK

The 12.7mm DShK is the M2 Browning of the Soviet army; Used in great quantities and for long periods of time, it can still be found in modern amies as a standard heavy machine gun.

37mm 61-K

The 61-K was a light anti-air gun employed in the tens of thousands by the Russians in World War 2 and was successful against low altitude aircraft. The 37mm projectiles were also effective against soft-skinned vehicles, but lacked the necessary punch to take on heavier tanks.

45mm 53-K

Built in huge quantities, the 53-K was phased out by 1943 due to the lack of penetration it offered against other, newer designs. Despite its shortcomings, it formed part of the backbone of anti-tank defenses in the first years of the conflict.

45mm M-42

Effectively the same gun as the 53-K but with a new, longer barrel which increased the penetration of its shots.

50mm Mortar

The Soviet 50mm Mortar was the light mortar for their troops. Unfortunately, there's not much to write home about when it comes to these as they lacked the explosive power of their bigger brothers (82mm -and up- mortars).

82mm Mortar

Offering more explosives per round, the 82mm Mortar was the standard medium-caliber mortar of the Soviet Army during the war.

76mm Mod.1927

An aged design, the Mod 1927 was an infantry support gun meant to provide light artillery support. Only a quarter of the 16,000 produced were available by June 1941, one can only wonder why these relics are still being used on the frontline.

Ba-10M

The Ba-10M was a heavy armoured car, thanks in part to its 45mm gun placed in a turret. Compared to other AC's of its time, its armament was definitely one of the most powerful available for that vehicle type. They would eventually be replaced by light tanks with better cross-country performance, and thicker armour.

Ba-64

The Ba-64 was a fast armoured car, capable of speeds up to 80km/h. To reach such speeds, it had to forego the heavy armament seen on examples such as the Ba-10M.

Bren Carrier

Brought to us by the magic of Lend-Lease, the bren carrier is a small and simple armoured personnel carrier typically fitted with a Bren gun. Depending on the user, the defensive MG could be swapped for something native to that user's army and supplemented by additional guns whether they be anti-tank rifles or more MGs.

GAZ-MM

The GAZ-MM was the numerically superior truck of the Russian forces. Of a simple design, the Russians were able to churn out massive numbers of this vehicle to help keep its supply trains moving.

M3l

The M3 Stuart is another vehicle found on the Russian Steppes due to Lend-Lease. Suffice to say that the Russians weren't too pleased with this tank due to its inferior performance when compared to light tanks of indigenous design.

M3s

The M3 Grant/Lee was a popular tank with the Russians, earning such nicknames as "Coffin for seven brothers" and "A grave for six men"!

Studebaker US6

Sturdy and reliable, it earned a good reputation with those that used it. Large quantities were built in the US and shipped to Russia via Lend-Lease.

Willys MB

"The" Jeep, nothing really needs to be said about it. So instead, let's talk about the lesser known Seep, which was supposed to be an amphibious Jeep similar to the Schwimmwagen but suffered from a few drawbacks that made it unfavorable to use in open waters. Rivers were okay, however, and the Russians copied the design after the war.

Su-12M

The Su-12M was the precursor to the Su-76M. It was a tank destroyer/self-propelled gun that had an enclosed fighting compartment but proved unsuccessful until modified and becoming the Su-76M.

ZiS-3

Available in small numbers at the start of Operation Barbarossa, the ZiS-3 quickly proved itself a capable design, being able to knock out any German tank at the time. By 1943, and the appearance of more and more Tiger and Panther tanks, it was being phased out for larger guns.

ZiS-5

Over a million ZiS-5 trucks were produced and, as one would expect, used on all Russian fronts throughout the war. For in-game purposes, the ZiS-5 fuel serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. I don't know why it's included in the game. :shrug:

To move things on a little bit, and since no one else picked any units, I went ahead and played the first mission.

We'll be using the following unit composition

With these as our strategic reserve

:siren::siren: Intro Video :siren::siren:

But before we get to the mission, we have a small intro video that plays whenever you start a new campaign. There's one for each side that gives a very brief overview of the current military situation.

https://youtu.be/fI54-TMh49U

Soviet Mission 01 - Southern outskirts of Cherkasskoe

https://youtu.be/SeXoKM_C26Q

Evil Imperial
Sep 4, 2014
Can I request a Medium Tank and have it named 'Zhukov's Wrath'?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

"Fritz-B-Gone" is going to be a cruel joke on the Soviet troopers, a name carried down a succession of bloody mortars with wiped out crews.

If we're going to use the heavy MG one day, I want it named "Dushman"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Evil Imperial posted:

Can I request a Medium Tank and have it named 'Zhukov's Wrath'?

Sure! The only Medium tank available at the moment is the M3s; I'll make sure it's first on the list.

JcDent posted:

"Fritz-B-Gone" is going to be a cruel joke on the Soviet troopers, a name carried down a succession of bloody mortars with wiped out crews.

If we're going to use the heavy MG one day, I want it named "Dushman"

I'm a little worried that Fritz-B-Gone will end up becoming a cursed artifact, causing those who use it to die shortly after. :ohdear:

And I'll make sure to name the next DShK I use "Dushman"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sure! The only Medium tank available at the moment is the M3s; I'll make sure it's first on the list.

"Communal Grave", "Bale Communards" and "Canned Communists" would also work if your description of M3 is correct :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Soviet Campaign - Mission 02: Cherkasskoe

Briefing Summary posted:

We think the Germans may be sending some elite troops against our defensive line. Thankfully, the hard work we have put into reinforcing these over the last few months should help blunt their strike.

We should expect many tanks, as well as more artillery and air cover such as those seen last time.

Don't give up those trenches lightly!

New Equipment

Su-122

An assault gun built using the T-34's chassis, the Su-122 fired 122mm shells. Its short barrel meant that it was more effective as a howitzer than an anti-tank vehicle, but the large shell made it no less of a threat against vehicles.

Deployable Forces

2850 points are available for the task force comprising
6 x Infantry Detachments
4x Machine Guns
14 x Anti-tank Guns
4 x Mortars

2290 points are available for reinforcements comprising
4 x Tanks
3 x Tank Destroyers/SPG

Force composition selections by tomorrow, 9am. Please and thank you :)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

6 x Heavy Infantry? Is there any reason to take not At infantry? The hecks with commander squads? 420
2x unboxed Maxims 120
2x tripod DshKs 160
50/50 on both 45 guns
4 x mortars, all 82mm if possible!

Reserve:
4 x M3
3 x Su-122

Good?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

6 x Heavy Infantry? Is there any reason to take not At infantry? The hecks with commander squads? 420
2x unboxed Maxims 120
2x tripod DshKs 160
50/50 on both 45 guns
4 x mortars, all 82mm if possible!

Reserve:
4 x M3
3 x Su-122

Good?

I think I touched a while back on infantry, but it swaps stuff around every based on game and theater, so I'll give a brief overview.

Most serve no critically important purpose. You don't require command squadrons or platoons, and recon squads aren't necessary in an offensive.

For the most part, 3 things vary:
-How many soldiers are in a squad,
-what weaponry does the squad have, and
-what attributes are higher than the norm?

Platoon Commander: 4 Men, 2 sniper rifles, 2 semi-automatic rifles.
Company Commander: 4 Men, 2 bolt-action rifles, 2 pistols.
Scout Squad: 11 Men, 11 Submachine guns, a lot of grenades. Exceptional marksmanship and scouting throughout the unit.
Combat Engineer Squad: 11 Men, 11 Bolt-action rifles. All excellent scouts (100/100)
Tank Destroyer Squad: 7 Men, 4 SMGs, 3 Rifles, lots of grenades. No ATRs, they rely solely on grenades to kill tanks.
PTRS AT Squad: 6 Men, 4 SMGs, 1 ATR, 1 Rifle, lots of grenades. Better than the TDS above, by virtue of not needing to march up to tanks.
SMG Squad: 11 Men, 11 SMGs, lots of grenades. Your basic close-combat fighters.
Heavy Infantry Squad: 10 Men, 4 bolt-action rifles, 2 Machine Gun, 3 semi-auto rifles, 1 SMG.
Infantry Squad: 10 Men, 1 MG, 2 bolt-action rifle, 5 semi-auto rifles, 2 SMG.
AT Rifle Squad: 7 Men, 3 ATRs, 3 rifles, 1 SMG
PTRS Heavy AT Squad: 6 Men, 2 SMGs, 2 rifles, 1 MG, 1 ATR

They all have strengths and weaknesses, with some clearly being better suited on the offensive or vice-versa. Both the Heavy and regular Infantry squads have tons of manpower in reserve. We can see we have 78(!) Infantry Squads and 50 Heavy types, while every other squad has at most 10. We need to keep this in mind if only so that we don't completely drain our anti-tank assets.

Edit: HA! The game counts the 45mm guns as anti-tank guns, and the 76mm ZiS-3 as artillery. Its strange because the game makes such an effort to separately class both types that it means I can only bring 4 of the 45mm guns. Gonna fill the other 10 spots with the ZiS-3s.

quote:

Reserve:
4 x M3
3 x Su-122

Good?

Cost overrun here. I can bring 4 x M3s + 3 x Su-12; I can only bring 1 x Su-122 if I take 4 x M3s.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 30, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Cost overrun here. I can bring 4 x M3s + 3 x Su-12; I can only bring 1 x Su-122 if I take 4 x M3s.

Well, I dont see the tank costs in that there picture, so I really can't say. Can you fill the rest of the spots with Su-12s?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Well, I dont see the tank costs in that there picture, so I really can't say. Can you fill the rest of the spots with Su-12s?

Whoops!

Totally forgot that the game X's out unit costs at times.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet Campaign - Mission 02: Cherkasskoe

https://youtu.be/XF3OQAoR4gs

Kill Tallies:
Zhukov's Wrath: 9 Infantry
Coffin for 7 Brothers: 1 Infantry, 1 Tank
Fritz-B-Gone: 2 Infantry

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 10, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Soviet Campaign - Mission 03: Syrtsev-Dubrova Line

Briefing Summary posted:

Cherkasskoe has been deemed untenable and we've been forced to pull out. Making our way east-north-east, we've settled on a location near Dubrova.

We have reports that the Germans are approaching with more elite troops and many tanks.

New Equipment

T-60

The T-60 was a light tank used mainly for reconnaissance, replacing armoured cars in that role. Neither the gun or armor were very effective, but the T-60 filled a hole in the Soviet arsenal when it was first being produced mid-1941.

After experiences with the T-60, it was deemed that a new gun would be required for it to perform adequately. However, that also meant it would require a new turret and thus a new engine and so on. The T-70 is a much improved T-60, with a much better gun and more armor (almost) everywhere.

T-34

• T-34 Command
  • T-34 Plant 112
  • T-34 Plant 174
  • T-34 Plant 183

The T-34 Medium Tank should be well-known enough to not require any large summary. It served throughout the war and was built in incredible numbers; Like any other tank, it had its fair share of issues but its design was sound enough that it could continue to be improved.

Since there are many T-34's in this game, I'll try to keep this brief and mention one or two characteristics that each T-34 type has that makes it unique (in this game).

- The T-34 Command tanks has a new commander's cupola that increased visibility. Few available for Kursk, as production was relatively recent.
- Plant 112 tanks were some of the worst T-34's produced. Low quality, missing parts, and so on plagued these Gorky factory-produced examples. They have the older turret and box-type external fuel tanks.
- Plant 174 wasn't initially supposed to build T-34's, but was forced to due to the progress of the German army. They feature the new two-hatch turret but still carry the old external fuel tanks.
- Plant 183 tanks were some of the better quality T-34's you could receive and the same can be said in-game. The new two-hatch turret is used, as well as the new cylindrical fuel tanks.

The game states that Plant 183 T-34's were sent to the British and the USA for evaluation due to their higher quality.

Deployable Forces

5580 points are available for the task force comprising
6 x Infantry Detachments
9 x Tanks
9 x Machine Guns
4 x Mortars
4 x Artillery

3200 points are available for reinforcements comprising
8 x Tanks

Force composition selections by tomorrow.

Evil Imperial, let me know if you want your crew in a different tank.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I want a T-70 to my name called Pegov's Peg Leg. It will probably not go on and kill a panther.

May they die glorious deaths!

Unless you really don't want one. I mean, they're quite poo poo compared to the worst T-34 you can buy. Otherwise I'll settle for a T-34 from Krasnoye Sormovo No. 112 and call it Gorky's Gimp.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 6, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iceshade posted:

I want a T-70 to my name called Pegov's Peg Leg. It will probably not go on and kill a panther.

May they die glorious deaths!

Unless you really don't want one. I mean, they're quite poo poo compared to the worst T-34 you can buy. Otherwise I'll settle for a T-34 from Krasnoye Sormovo No. 112 and call it Gorky's Gimp.

Pegov's Peg Leg sounds amazing, so I'll veto at least one initial tank to be a T-70 named after that.

And since I most likely won't have enough names anyways (Since I don't want to name everything myself) I'll see that Gorky's Gimp makes it too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

T-60? Man, if only we had that one where Germans put a Panzer IV turret on top :v:

3x Heavy Infantry (why not)
3x Whichever guys attack tanks with grenades
6x Plant 112 (shittiest tank actually has best turret armor)
1x T-70
2xM3
9x Box Maxims
2x 50 mortars
2x 82mm "I See You Haven't Renamed Any Yet" Mortars
4x whatever counts as arty

Reserve
6x Whichever T-34 you like
2x Command T-34

Probably the only game where M3s meet Panthers or M3s are costed like T-34s

Infantry still feels bloody useless, like Blitzkrieg.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
By the way, I know you skipped over the promotions and such last video, which is fine, but if people feel particularly attached to their virtual tonk crew you can dedicate a second or 10 per named unit. Virtual mans need love too! :sparkles:

e:

JcDent posted:

T-60? Man, if only we had that one where Germans put a Panzer IV turret on top :v:

3x Heavy Infantry (why not)
3x Whichever guys attack tanks with grenades
6x Plant 112 (shittiest tank actually has best turret armor)
1x T-70
2xM3
9x Box Maxims
2x 50 mortars
4x whatever counts as arty

Reserve
6x Whichever T-34 you like
2x Command T-34

Infantry still feels bloody useless, like Blitzkrieg.

There's also 37mm 61-K anti-air guns, which might be an idea to take. They'll probably throw more He-111s and Ju-87s at us.
Though I assume they count as Arty and we need ZiS-3 76mm guns?

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 6, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iceshade posted:

By the way, I know you skipped over the promotions and such last video, which is fine, but if people feel particularly attached to their virtual tonk crew you can dedicate a second or 10 per named unit. Virtual mans need love too! :sparkles:

There's also 37mm 61-K anti-air guns, which might be an idea to take. They'll probably throw more He-111s and Ju-87s at us.
Though I assume they count as Arty and we need ZiS-3 76mm guns?

I'll make sure to devote more end-video time to virtual mans.

And the 37mm 61-K guns cannot be taken as they are anti-air guns and we have no slots for them.

E:

JcDent posted:

This is hurtful. Materiel and vehicles aren't renamed in the unit selection because they are placeholders. Since crews are from a specific dead vehicle/gun they are named for convenience. Fritz-B-Gone is named and is always the first from the 82mm pool.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 6, 2015

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And the 37mm 61-K guns cannot be taken as they are anti-air guns and we have no slots for them.

That's dumb :colbert:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is hurtful. Materiel and vehicles aren't renamed in the unit selection because they are placeholders. Since crews are from a specific dead vehicle/gun they are named for convenience. Fritz-B-Gone is named and is always the first from the 82mm pool.

Sorry, I just didn't notice it in the video.

What took out coffin, anyways? All the guys seemed to have survived!

As for promotions, I don't blame ya. Folks seem to be dying left and right, hard to get attached to them.

Iceshade posted:

Welcome to Theatre of War.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Sorry, I just didn't notice it in the video.

What took out coffin, anyways? All the guys seemed to have survived!

It happened while I was giving orders to the mortar teams, but he seems to have taken a Panther shot that destroyed the hull, which forces all crew members to bail out immediately. Someone had some rabbit feet and clovers with them.

E: Here's what I found in the source video that I thankfully didn't delete.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 6, 2015

Evil Imperial
Sep 4, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Evil Imperial, let me know if you want your crew in a different tank.

Yeah, put me in a T-34 Command tank is possible, AKA what will get shot at first according to NATO doctrine during the Cold War. If not put me in a Plant 183 tank.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Evil Imperial posted:

Yeah, put me in a T-34 Command tank is possible, AKA what will get shot at first according to NATO doctrine during the Cold War. If not put me in a Plant 183 tank.

There is one issue with swapping you to a T-34. You must lose 1 crewmember voluntarily.

Your current crew (Commander, Driver, Gunner, Loader, Hull Gunner/Machine Gunner):

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Can the Coffin Krew get a new tank? Drop the Hull gunner, stick into a lovely 112

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

JcDent posted:

I guess the Soviets just wanted to bring absolutely every tank they could find into play.

I read somewhere that about 30% of the tanks (officially?) of the tank armies at Kursk were T-70s, the rest mostly T-34s. Nasty.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 7, 2015

Evil Imperial
Sep 4, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There is one issue with swapping you to a T-34. You must lose 1 crewmember voluntarily.

Ustinov needs to go, as he's is a mediocre driver and gunner. I guess put him somewhere else, where they need a warm body on the front.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 03: Syrtsev-Dubrova Line

https://youtu.be/LwWiF6zQmkQ

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Man, being an infantryman in ToW is probably worse in than in real war. They never seem to do anything much besides dying like bitches. That last Stuka vaporized like 10 of them.

Good going, Fritz-b-Gone, killed 1 guy, whoo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Soviet Campaign - Mission 04: Defense of Syrtsev

Briefing Summary posted:

7 July - The Germans keep coming, but we must hold on even in the face of ever increasing losses in men and materiel.

We expect that the Grossdeustchland Division will show up once more, with more heavy tanks. Make sure your anti-tank/artillery guns are well positioned and supported by infantry, and beware of any troops that may try to outflank us!

No New Equipment

Deployable forces

We can deploy the following number of units this mission
Task Force 2990 points
5 x Infantry Detachments
3 x Tanks
10 x AT Guns
2 x Mortars

Reinforcements 3010 points
3 x Infantry Detachments
4 x Tanks
4 x Tank Destroyers

Deadline is tomorrow, 10am EST

JcDent posted:

Good going, Fritz-b-Gone, killed 1 guy, whoo.

That brings his total up to 3!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

5 x Regular rear end Infantry, because it don't matter one bit 250
3 x M3 cuz lol 1200
8 x Zis-3 1120
2x The Lamer Guns
2 x 82mm 240

When lacking points, downgrade to command squads of whatever.

Reserves

2 x Su-122
2 x Su-12M
4 x T-34 (one command?)
3 x SMG infantry :black101:

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Glorious comrade Stalin wanted to even the playing field a bit by putting T-70 in a not so advantageous position. I can respect that. They would have had many many kills (don't put the T-70 in this next mission, 3 tanks isn't exactly a lot).

Also hooray another defense mission. Yawn. I can't imagine these missions would take more than an hour or two to create.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iceshade posted:

Yup! Fun fact, the higher caliber AA gun has a separate version/unit specifically for anti-tank purposes. Doesn't make a lot of sense since we've seen (in the previous game no less) that they can easily make a weapon that can attack both air and ground targets.

• Locked thread