Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
I'm working on a simple messaging app.
The basic idea is to allow people to send short prefab messages to each other. Kind of like the "Yo" app but with (a little) more flexibility.

It's supposed to be a lighthearted fun app but my partners and I have been arguing about the name so I figured I'd toss it up here and see what sticks.

The current top contenders are:
"Partytime" and
"bokbok" (possibly with a cartoon chicken as the mascot)

Alternate spellings, capitalizations etc. are all on the table.

Tell me what you think about these names.

Do you like one better than the other?
What do these names make you think of? (particularly in the context of the app as described)
Do you have a better name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

I couldn't get my partners to go for it. But it's not a terrible idea.

This app would give you an convenient way to send someone an animation of a hotdog getting chopped in half by a clever.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Koivunen posted:

Would you be willing to share an example or two of the prefab messages? Is it like candy hearts type things (UR HOT) or catchphrases or something? I'm having a hard time thinking of something I would want to send someone over an app versus a text message, unless the messages or delivery themselves are really cute or funny.

Yo is funny because it's dumb enough to be funny. If there was a chicken on my screen bokking a message at me, would it be like "you're my prized hen" and chicken related stuff? Or just "did you know the biggest ball of twine is in Minnesota?" Bok Bok!

Obviously my vote is for BokBok. It sounds cuter and more fun than Partytime. I would want to look at it and see what it does. With the latter I would feel like it would be a map to all the frat houses hosting parties that night.

Messages would be a short animation (like a few seconds on a loop) and some sound.
Examples might be thing like a bobbing chicken and a bokbok sound.
Or a caveman eating a chicken leg with a sound that say "chowtime".
If I can come up with a good one we'll probably do some sort of SA related one but if we get to the point where it's about to start taking off I'll probably open it up as a contest or something.

We're thinking of it along the lines of animated memes but shrunk down so they fit on mobile devices.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Aix posted:

The turkish word for poo poo is bok. Keep that in mind

Interesting.
What sort of connotation does it have?
Is it more clinical?
Is it more like saying that something is bad?
Or is it more like saying "Oh no!".

Would it be something that turkish people would be embarrassed to hear/say or is it the kind of thing you say when you're trying to be a badass? Or would it make people laugh?

Does doubling it have any particular connotation?

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
Thanks for all the advice so far.

It's easy for my partners and me to get a bit of tunnel vision on stuff like names and it's great to have a fresh perspective.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

SwissCM posted:

I vote for bokbok

EDIT: bukbuk?

buk is also some kind of russian missile. So... make the logo a chicken strapped to a missile or something

That's a spelling I've considered too.
Also bawkbawk.
But I like the 3 letter versions better for the sake of simplicity and lazy spelling.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Are you going to have premade video memes? I'm thinking like 3 second videos like Nerds! from Revenge of the Nerds or D'oh! from Simpsons that people would enjoy using. Like forum posting but in real phone life.

We weren't thinking of those two in particular but that's the basic idea.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Astonishing Wang posted:

Chatslap, With an animated talking hand instead of a chicken. Maybe a baby hand.

The name is pretty cool but it's not really a chat app.
I'm going to keep that in mind if we do end up doing a chat app in the future though.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Astonishing Wang posted:

Chatslap, With an animated talking hand instead of a chicken. Maybe a baby hand.

The name is pretty cool but it's not really a chat app.
I'm going to keep that in mind if we do end up doing a chat app in the future though.

Damnit. I don't know how that happened. I'm gonna go ahead and blame Windows.

SeventhUncle fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 27, 2015

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

kidhash posted:

Google'd BokBok, this was the 5th result

http://www.bokbokapp.com/

Yeah. I saw that.
In theory we're different enough that it doesn't matter.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

it is posted:

go with cluckr imo

I liked "bokbok" a lot, but if there's already an app with that name, it's probably wise to pick a different one. Moo, oink, bark, woof, and gobble lend themselves to cute animal icons. Plus gay guys say "woof" and "oink" (but definitely not bark) to compliment each other, because we are gross. A couple of different guys I've hooked up with had all kinds of weird, innocuous pig paraphernalia in their houses. My boyfriend's ex's facebook last name is "Muttz," and basically all his friends have weird doggy variations on their names. I hooked up with a guy who legally changed his name to Wolfer. I've been on large, popular gay hookup sites where the equivalent to a wink was an "oink" or a "woof."

If you want to go "golly gee why is our app so popular with all these promiscuous gay guys," I'd go with some variation on woof or oink.

I've never heard anyone (gay or otherwise) say any of those things as a compliment.
Is this part of some super secret language that gay guys keep on the DL around straight guys? Are you going to get in trouble for telling me?

On a more serious note, why not "bark"?

At the very least we're gonna have to add those as messages. Is there a particular image or animation that would go with "woof" or "oink" if you were going to use it as a compliment? Would a silly cartoon dog/pig work?

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Nierbo posted:

... It sounds sorta useless.

Then everything is going according to plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Antifreeze Head posted:

Who came up with this because they should be fired

Probably these guys:

[/quote]

If our app makes a tenth of the money that movie did I won't complain.

• Locked thread