Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Ballmer
Aug 25, 2013

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!
OK, but the format is still pretty limiting, and it's no surprise he doesn't want to be typecast as a director who only makes faux documentary style movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Steve Ballmer posted:

OK, but the format is still pretty limiting, and it's no surprise he doesn't want to be typecast as a director who only makes faux documentary style movies.

the only bad part of district 9 was when it dropped the documentary vibe and was just et with lazerguns

the rest was pretty good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the way it would just randomly jump back to documentary style, with the interviews apparently taking place after the action of the film was also bad

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
I wonder if z0r's gonna watch this movie.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

bobbilljim posted:

imagine in your mind....

a tim nd eric / die antwoord collab

:wth:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

a tim nd eric / die antwoord collab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKKdJoXF7PI

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Sneak peek of a scene from Chappie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8nrF5aXPlQ&t=140s

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

if it's bad we can call if Crappie. Just an idea, throwing it out there for later.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

guys. it's called Cinéma vérité and its a French style of documentary filmmaking where the camera operators "become invisible" to the characters in the story.

this has become popular with fictional movies as well.

it's alright.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

infernal machines posted:

the way it would just randomly jump back to documentary style, with the interviews apparently taking place after the action of the film was also bad

consistency in a product is usually good unless it's gravity where the effect of the one take wears off after 20 minutes and the action scenes lose their importance.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

[img-armchair-director]

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

wha codec you think they used..?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i had to put my sunglasses on before leaving the cinema after district 9 because the ending was really sad :c00l:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it looks like it will be poo poo, op

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im goign to see chappie openingnight and im going to cosplay as te funny computer

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Smythe posted:

im goign to see chappie openingnight and im going to cosplay as te funny computer

so ur gonna be urself????

lol jk ilu smythe

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

we are all the funny computer

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

so ur gonna be urself????

lol jk ilu smythe

im not funny

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

sad that a new director gets typecast after one film. he needs to get financing for his next social sci-fi movie and pivot into something more interesting.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

no, because you barely noticed. i thought it transitioned well.

i'm pretty sure his halo ads were too

yeah. they did some promo/test scenes that looked very blomkamp but i can't remember if he really directed those or what.

i was really into halo and blomkamp at that time so when it never happened it was heart breaking.

almost as bad as when christian bale turned down Jobs

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

pagancow posted:

consistency in a product is usually good unless it's gravity where the effect of the one take wears off after 20 minutes and the action scenes lose their importance.

oh good, you're here :rolleyes:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

PleasureKevin posted:

i did because i'm not a dumb

i was like "wtf why are we now seeing footage of a prawn in a red jacket doing shady poo poo and hiding from mnu, shouldn't the camera crew be dobbing on him or w/e"

then some stuff happened then they had the interviews at the end and i was all "oh lol i forgot about those, good job"

still a good movie tho

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

there were some reports that die antwoord were horrible to work with and that ninja was written out of later scenes because he kept harassing female production staff and sending them explicit photos of himself

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

is this teh chippie megathread??

there's my chippie.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
*chap chap*

whos there?

its me bitch

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

jony ive aces posted:

i had to put my sunglasses on before leaving the cinema after district 9 because the ending was really sad :c00l:

I wear sunglasses 24/7. For protection from the sun and if anyone says something mean to me.

pagancow posted:

guys. it's called Cinéma vérité and its a French style of documentary filmmaking where the camera operators "become invisible" to the characters in the story.

this has become popular with fictional movies as well.

it's alright.

If something bad happens, they never yell at the camera man like "Help me! Can't you see I'm in trouble!". I never understood it, but if they're invisible, I guess it makes sense.

Mr. Apollo posted:

there were some reports that die antwoord were horrible to work with and that ninja was written out of later scenes because he kept harassing female production staff and sending them explicit photos of himself

Lol.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Valeyard posted:

*chap chap*

whos there?

its me bitch

[Stephen Hawking, v.o.]

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Apollo posted:

that was a press piece for the film gussied up as tabloid journalism

PleasureKevin posted:

maybe you didn't but other people obviously did

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
for the most part if he wants to inconsistently mix styles then that's fine, he's the fuckin ~~auteur~~, and it was a good movie, and both the interview and non-interview parts were good so idk how you'd address it without cutting one or the other, and gently caress rules man

but if you do something that honkingly obvious that it makes me stop and think about how i'm watching a movie then it's probably not so great for :qq:MY IMMERSION:qq: i guess

oh well i was still immersed enough that i wore :qq:MY SUNGLASSES:qq: like an insecure and not at all subtle idiot so that's cool

pram
Jun 10, 2001

jony ive aces posted:

for the most part if he wants to inconsistently mix styles then that's fine, he's the fuckin ~~auteur~~, and it was a good movie, and both the interview and non-interview parts were good so idk how you'd address it without cutting one or the other, and gently caress rules man

but if you do something that honkingly obvious that it makes me stop and think about how i'm watching a movie then it's probably not so great for :qq:MY IMMERSION:qq: i guess

oh well i was still immersed enough that i wore :qq:MY SUNGLASSES:qq: like an insecure and not at all subtle idiot so that's cool

nice post u got here mate. i liked the opinions and formatting and stuff

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
:pram:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
can we get someone in here to lfpost about racism in district 9 pls tia

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this was a different emoticon and now it's not :confused:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm going to see the movie because i like robots and he looks like a neat robot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jony ive aces posted:

can we get someone in here to lfpost about racism in district 9 pls tia

the fact that you're already thinking about it means i don't need to

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Mr. Apollo posted:

that's shocking he seems like such a nice grounded fellow

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i really liked district 9 and will totally go see chappie

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Peanut and the Gang posted:

If something bad happens, they never yell at the camera man like "Help me! Can't you see I'm in trouble!". I never understood it, but if they're invisible, I guess it makes sense.

Chances are by the time this does happen in filming, they've already had the discussion of "we cant actually interfere with your life because it kills the credibility of the film"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Like if you're doing a doc about yosposters and they render on mac os keeps crashing becuase of some cuda or some graphics hardware issue you cant just let them use your HP workstation on your DIT cart to do their cuda operation successfully, you just have to sit back and watch them suffer and never tell them there is a better way to render video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Ballmer
Aug 25, 2013

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

Steve Ballmer fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 24, 2015

• Locked thread