Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TwoQuestions posted:

Then apparently better than half the nation are psychopaths, and you gotta convince them why they need to divert resources to keeping less productive people alive.

How are we defining productivity? Is a financial sector employee who spends all day moving stacks of imaginary money around more or less productive than a fast food worker who produces immediately tangible hamburgers?

wateroverfire posted:

Isn't this hypothetical getting a little far afield.

What if A has more resources and wants to live where B lives, so they pay B a bunch of money and B goes to live in a cheaper neighborhood and pockets the difference. And this repeats enough that the neighborhood becomes safer, cleaner, and generally more desirable to live in.

The horror!

Alternatively, A buys property in B's neighborhood. As the A individuals become more prevalent, B's landlord raises rents commensurate with land values. B gets priced out and is forced to move out to the fringes of town or into undesirable suburbs, where services are of lower quality and commute becomes a serious limiting factor.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Is a middle manager more productive than the people they oversee? Give me some metric to determine productivity here, as it seems a fairly arbitrary standard. Are we defining it by how much revenue they produce? Because surely if there's one thing the past decade has taught us, its that profit and reality are not required to intersect.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TwoQuestions posted:

When you accept that neither the Bs nor the As have an inviolable right to live, this ceases to be a problem.

Yes, if you accept the premise that society doesn't exist and we live in a barbaric anarchy where the strong do what they will and the weak do what they must, a lot of things stop being problems.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Ending probations for the heinous crime of not using the shift key was a positive development, I feel, as discussion is poorly served by rigidity.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Would it be fair to say gentrification is only a problem, or much more of a problem, in the more politically fractured metro areas?

I'm not sure I'd say its a partisan issue. Low-income housing NIMBYism cuts across political boundaries.

• Locked thread