Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've been seeing articles and discussions which bring up the topic of gentrification - like "Washington D.C. second only to Portland in gentrification" - and typically the underlying sentiment is that gentrification is bad and should not happen. I'm not disputing that in the slightest - what I'd like is a discussion on what exactly constitutes gentrification, and what should be done to prevent it both at an individual level and a policy level.

The basic gist that I get is that gentrification is basically rich (or at least, wealthier) people finding a city neighborhood they like and buying up homes in it, causing an increase in property values and forcing established community members out through real estate market pressures: landlords raise rents because they know they can get more for it from someone else, or worse, sell the property outright. Property owners might be pressured by increasing property taxes due to rising home values (although in some areas I would think this is already ameliorated by tax laws which limit the amount property taxes can increase year over year), sell because the allure of money is too much, or leave because the neighborhood has changed in a way they don't like. This results in the erosion and eventual destruction of established local communities and cultures.

Is this description generally accurate?

What would an ethical individual or family looking to move to a different region do in order to not cause gentrification?

What policy decisions at a city, state, and federal level would be prudent and effective in preventing gentrification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TwoQuestions posted:

When you accept that neither the Bs nor the As have an inviolable right to live, this ceases to be a problem.

Hi TwoQuestions,

A lot of people hold certain beliefs as to what constitutes moral or correct behavior on the part of humans. Some of these beliefs are more important or deep-seated than others, and some people might even characterize certain values as "fundamental".

Although questions like "how does gentrification actually harm people" and "what can be done to minimize harm done by gentrification" are ones which people are more likely to change positions on based on evidence and rhetoric given, questions like "why should we care if people get hurt" or "why do many people assume that there is an inviolable right to live" (or why people hold any such concept such as 'inviolable rights') are ones which involve these more deep-seated values, and are thus unlikely to be answerable within the scope of this thread.

In short, your questions about the basic rights and duties of people and society deserve their own thread where they can be more thoroughly discussed than is likely to occur in a thread where a lot of people still want to talk about the causes and effects of gentrification.

I hope you do create a thread for that discussion, because I think it could be interesting to read over, and I hope you understand I'm not trying to bag on you here. :)

• Locked thread