Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
Less trolly, the notion that the people who live in a neighborhood pre-gentrification should be expected to stay there seems like something worth examining. They're not the "original" residents except on a very arbitrary time scale, they're not being illegally displaced (if they are that's a problem that needs addressing), when they move out they´re moving into another neighborhood - maybe with a nice payout if they sold property. So what is the great wrong being perpetrated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

OK, then. Why?

If A has enough resources to comfortably and completely feed B do they have that right? What if A has more resources than they could possibly consume and the stuff that could feed B just rotted in the fields?

What if A has all of the resources? B can't produce anything with no resources to do so.

Isn't this hypothetical getting a little far afield.

What if A has more resources and wants to live where B lives, so they pay B a bunch of money and B goes to live in a cheaper neighborhood and pockets the difference. And this repeats enough that the neighborhood becomes safer, cleaner, and generally more desirable to live in.

The horror!

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

Is a financial sector employee who spends all day moving stacks of imaginary money around more or less productive than a fast food worker who produces immediately tangible hamburgers?

edit: more.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Effectronica posted:

There's generally not a whole lot of housing available for the poor. Gentrification cuts this down further, primarily through the increase in property taxes and indirectly rents, forcing people into homelessness and increasingly shittier housing. If we assume that there's effectively unlimited housing at every level of quality, then, yes, gentrification is not a problem. In the real world, however, it is one, and one that must be resolved if we are to be fully human.

idk this raises some questions in my mind.

One, I thought the deal with gentrification is that the housing started off lovely. If that's the case gentrification is sort of a lateral move for lots of people. Second, I find it really hard to believe there is a housing shortage of the type you describe. I mean, maybe if you qualify it (ie: in Manhattan) but otherwise why do you believe that's a general thing? Do you have any sources?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

Is a middle manager more productive than the people they oversee? Give me some metric to determine productivity here, as it seems a fairly arbitrary standard. Are we defining it by how much revenue they produce? Because surely if there's one thing the past decade has taught us, its that profit and reality are not required to intersect.

A middle manager is a necessary cog in an enterprise once it has gotten large enough to need cogs. Sperging out about whether they're more productive than the people they manage is missing the point.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not really. A group A with more resources than B may very well be the reason B has fewer resources by actively preventing B from getting any. That's one of the issues of gentrification and the land use/rights stuff going on in America right now. People are being displaced but have nowhere to be displaced to. Coupled with stagnating wages, rising prices, and the generally lovely employment situation we have a group A that owns everything (the 1% that Occupy was bitching about) and a group B that owns nothing and is totally at their mercy.

If you want to look at wealth distribution imagine it this way. 100 people are sharing a 100 room house. One guy gets 35 rooms all to himself. Four people are sharing 28 rooms. Another five people get 14 of them. The next ten people get 12. The other 80 people are crammed into the other 11 rooms and are being told they're asking for too much and have to make do with less. Now consider that the 80 people represents 80% of the population and you'll see how skewed that ultimately is. 40 of those people are only allowed access to less than half of one room. If you go by quintiles 85 rooms are owned by 20 people.

The bottom 40 are being told they're asking for too much and they should give their less than half of a room up because they don't deserve it. Meanwhile the whole game is rigged and the people with a lot of rooms available are using that to prevent everybody else from getting more.

Counterpoint: Wealth distribution is not arbitrary in the way you're describing (while, yeah, being arbitrary in a different way) and the reason B isn't getting as much has more to do with the characteristics of B than oppression coming from A.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Less trolly, the notion that the native people who live on land pre-settlement should be expected to stay there seems like something worth examining. They're not the "original" residents except on a very arbitrary time scale, they're not being illegally displaced (if they are that's a problem that needs addressing), when they move out they´re moving into another area - maybe with a nice payout if they sold property. So what is the great wrong being perpetrated?

I'm being dramatic, but it's the same basic idea. Indian reservations aren't bad per se, it's just bad when you dislocate someone from the place where they lived and they get very little in return. If you uproot a people and stick them in a shithole landscape with no resources and nothing to do, they're much worse off. Likewise, if gentrification displaces people from established neighborhoods with useful social/physical infrastructure and they end up getting pushed into transient, decaying neighborhoods with a lower level of social/physical infrastrucure then you're kind of loving them over. So long as we prevent that inherent loving over then gentrification isn't a bad thing.

I was going to be all snarky but tbh I don't disagree with you. Planning so that people can move into areas that meet their needs as neighborhoods change is a thing we should do. I don't think people are getting hosed over - there's no one doing the uprooting, nobody doing the loving, unless we view people moving into the neighborhood from outside it as doing something wrong and that seems like a weird way to look at it. That doesn't mean there aren't consequences we should think about, though.

Nope! The housing is only "lovely" because it is in a "bad" neighborhood with "poor" people and "dingy" houses. Gentrification can be directly and causally traced to mid-century White Flight and suburbanization.

I mean, that's a pretty big simplification, right? The housing is lovely because it's poorly maintained, in areas where crime is high, etc. To hold the people who moved out 60 years ago responsible for that seems kind of questionable when the group of current residents is absolutely, directly responsible for that state of affairs.

Interesting reads. I think the standard of 30% of your annual salary being affordable is maybe questionable.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Society is doing the loving. It's like saying racism isn't a systemic problem if you can't identify particular racists pulling the strings.

Society can't form the intention to gently caress and doesn't have any of the necessary parts. Moralizing about an abstraction like that isn't helpful. It's like when people accuse other people of racism, because even if they didn't do anything overtly racist they participate in SYSTEMIC RACISM :smuggo:.

It's a well accepted fact, if you have some substantive theory that says otherwise I would like to hear it.

[img-fry-not-sure-if-trolling-or-stupid]

It's the theory that society didn't make you rob that delivery driver / steal that car / burgle that house / etc.

If you have questions, ask them. 30% is a well accepted standard by experts in housing policy.

30% seems affordable for sure, but isn't it based on an estimated budget in which other elements were more expensive?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Pretty much all of them, a few decades before they started to be gentrified. Areas that are being gentrified now tended to be popular places to live decades back as well.

Kind of depends on the time scale. If the evolution of the area is New neighborhood ---> lovely neighborhood ---> Gentrified neighborhood then sure at some point they were popular but when gentrification occurred they weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Not necessarily. In many cases inner-city areas now gentrified were originally manufacturing/warehousing/commercial properties or zones that were abandoned or sold off cheaply and were then occupied by artists,musicians, squatters and immigrants because it was available, cheap/free and central. Richer people move in when that area becomes fashionable and large buildings can be converted into apartments. That has certainly been the model in much of Europe and I hear it's also true of the US's larger cities.

True that.

• Locked thread