Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Crazy Mike posted:

tldr: How do we turn a poor population into a population that can live in gentrified areas?

If you can stop poor people from committing crimes at high rates, you can turn any area into a somewhat richer version of itself, even if the quality of the housing/infrastructure isn't the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Suburbs are very heavily subsidized, in the US, by states and the federal governments.

FHA and VA loans, and the presence of the federal government in the mortgage market, drastically alter the cost of home ownership. I don't think it is unfair to argue that without the robust housing policy structures put into place by the New Deal we wouldn't have anything close to the suburban sprawl we currently have.

The interstate highway system is another enormous subsidy for the burbs. Without the highways, suburban and exurban development would be checked much closer to the urban core. I've got a friend who commutes 90 minutes to work one-way. The only reason he can do this is the highway system, without which his commute would be impossible or be four times longer.

Gas subsidies, in the form of tax write-offs, oil depreciation allowances, Department of Energy expenditures in oil exploration research and other technical assistance makes gas cheaper and makes living farther out in the suburbs more economical and travel costs are kept artificially low.

The state and feds provide grants and tax incentives for new suburban developments, which have the effect of masking the real costs of development for decades. Eventually the roads built with grants require property taxes to pay for maintenance, the sewer lines break down, utlities need upgrades, etc. and the residents have to shoulder enormous tax bills. Another friend of mine just got slapped with a $6,000 bill in September for road upgrades in her suburban development. Sometmes what endsup happening is that the suburb borrows money and gets grant funding etc for a new development, and uses the increase in property tax revenues, surplus grant money, etc from that development to subsidize the maintenance of the older development. This scheme works until the 2nd development falls into disrepair like the 1st development, and now you're hosed (until you leverage up for a 3rd, natch).

No worries, those generous subsidies will be cut once enough socially aware middle/upper class people are safely ensconced inside the city center and the poors are pushed out to the periphery.

• Locked thread