Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
While we're improving real estate prices, instead of pricing out residents why don't we improve residents so they can afford to live in a more expensive side of town. As it stands now poor people exist either here or there, but I would like to see societal shifts from both the government and the poor themselves that can turn poor people into middle class people as fast as you could turn tenement housing into McMansions.

Some ideas I have are re regulating interest rates to eliminate the most stupid of loans, making interest rates the same for all customers of an institution (Why should the poor pay more than the rich? By charging him more to cover the risk of default you are increasing the chance he defaults.), increasing public services for ALL residents poor and rich, creating an Employer of Last resort to ensure any poor that needs work can get some, subsidizing and encouraging birth control so poor parents don't make poor babies, and finding a way to get buy in from Everyone on the American dream, and creating a National Bank that will fill in the holes the private banking industry lets the poor fall through.

This will make things a lot better for those who are mentally sound but stagnant in income and wealth. Dealing with the poor who suffer from mental illness or addiction would require funding public assistance centers where they can live and get treatment with citizenship training.

All a pipe dream I know, but gosh darn it I want my McMansion and one of these days I'm gonna get it.

tldr: How do we turn a poor population into a population that can live in gentrified areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

on the left posted:

If you can stop poor people from committing crimes at high rates, you can turn any area into a somewhat richer version of itself, even if the quality of the housing/infrastructure isn't the greatest.

My needs and some of my wants are met, and my level of criminal activity is low. I would be more likely to commit crimes after experiencing increasing deprivation and desperation. I also have something to lose, keeping me away from many criminal endeavors.

Keeping the poor from being deprived and giving them something to lose beyond not being in prison should temper the motivation for crime.

• Locked thread