Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how do we wanna do
keep it swiss
shake it up w/ leagues
View Results

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm in. This or something like it.

Edit: I don't care what we do tournament-wise. I don't know how leagues work. Just tell me whose day to ruin and I'll ruin it.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'm all for playing vintage but don't know poo poo about most the decks, would someone who knows more than me post a good list/rundown on some of the more common decks?

Is there any sort of working hatebears style vintage deck?

Yeah. I had moderate success playing this . I can recommend cards, help you make changes, etc.

Common vintage decks:

Oath - I'm going to be a little unfair here, but this is the Sneak and Show of Vintage. Combine Oath with your opponent's creatures or your own Forbidden Orchard, get Griselbrand. I'm sure you can figure out how to win from there. Plays the power 8.

Dredge - This is the Dredge of Vintage. Mull until you have a Bazaar in your hand (using Serum Powders if you have them.) Mull to 1 if you have to. Then if you've not whiffed, which you're something like 93% not to, go off. Plays no power, 4 Bazaars.

Delver (UR or URg) - This is the Delver of vintage. There's not much difference from legacy except you're usually the control deck. The green splash is for some combination of Trygon, Grudge, and/or Nature's Claim. Plays Lotus, Recall, Time Walk, UR Moxen.

Shops (Terra Nova and "Normal") - Turn 1 Trinisphere, live the dream. My weapon of choice, and the preferred deck of the most refined (and handsome) wizards. The usual strategy is win the die roll, lock your opponent out of the game on turn 1 with Sphere effects, Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere, Wastelands, Lodestone Golems, and Revokers. The usual version uses Forgemaster to combo kill with Blightsteel or Sundering Titan. The Terra Nova version uses man lands and has a much lower curve. Plays 5 Moxen and sometimes Lotus.

Storm - count to 9, cast Tendrils Count to whatever, cast Mind's Desire, probably win. Basically the Storm of vintage. Plays the power 9.

Mono-U Belcher - draw 7s, artifact mana, Tolarian Academy, and Belcher. There's the entire deck. Cast Belcher with infinite fast artifact mana, Belch, hope you don't hit your one land before they die. Plays the power 9.

Grixis control - uses countermagic, tutors, and planeswalkers to control the game. Uses cards like Dack Fayden, Jace, and Goblin Welder to control the board, Mana Drain and Force to control the stack. Sometimes plays Mindslaver for Welder recursion. Plays the power 8.

Hatebears - RW, GW, W, and Naya: use disruptive nerds (Teeg, Thalia, Leonin Arbiter, Mindcensor) Aether Vial, Null Rod/Stony Silence, and land destruction to lock your opponent out of all their dumb, greedy vintage plays. Plays on color Moxen, Lotus.

Fish - see hatebears. Replace disruption with speed (and some more power.) Plays Lotus, Sapphire, Recall, Time Walk.

Blue Angels - I love everything about this deck. UW control with flash flyers. Plays Clique, Resto, and Spirit of the Labyrinth to do dirty things to your opponent. Usually plays some combination of Mindcensor, Teferi, Venser, or Jace. Plays the power 8, sometimes minus Time Walk.

I'm sure I've missed some but I'm on the midnight shift this week so my brain isn't highly functional.

And seriously, everyone who's curious or looking for a deck, go back and watch the VSL from the beginning. There are some great decks, and they give you the full decklists. Everything is available on YouTube and probably Twitch.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 24, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

kizudarake posted:

What you're saying is that the vintage meta is 40 percent delver, 20 percent dredge, and 20 percent belcher.

I don't see most of them keeping their decks for week 2. I know Rich was trying to brew something new - I'm not sure if he ever found something he was happy with.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

In the VSL they bring 3 decks submitted before it starts. They use one for 3 weeks, then another for 3, then another for the last 3. Then for the finals this time they will bring 3 decks, and have to use them sequentially in best of 5 matches. After match 3 they may freely choose any deck.

I meant for the 2nd cycle, week 4 (which starts today.) Working midnight to noon does unfortunate things to my brain.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

kizudarake posted:

Actually, I was trying to make a joke about the meta being less diverse than standard, based off of a tiny, tiny sample.

I know. It is a really undiverse meta for some reason these first few weeks, but I'd bet it'll open up more in these weeks between Gifts and FRF.

• Locked thread