Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how do we wanna do
keep it swiss
shake it up w/ leagues
View Results

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006
week 5 of thunderdome is about to start and my goal is to have the second tournament get going while the top 8 for the first one runs (so the magic never stopssss)

plan right now is to have tdome 2 be vintage, so i wanted to do an interest check to see how many peeps would be up for playin the format. i know there are some but i want to make sure we'll have enough people to make a real tourney out of it

also Zoness has mentioned to me in irc he thinks that a move to a league system might be a better way to do this in terms of scheduling games (still w/ a single elim bracket at the end of the "season"). i've not run or played any league stuff for magic so i need to do some research on what the deets are here but have people in general been enjoying doing swiss or do you want to shake stuff up?

ty for loving pupkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
vintage is broadly split into 5 deck groups ("pillars") which have some subdivision

blue decks: oath of druids decks, UR delver, grixis control, mindslaver/welder, and now gifts decks are what i can think of here. monastery mentor is seeing some traction. UR delver plays p fair but the other decks have a bunch of unfair kills.
fish decks: probably closest to hatebears if you want the bears side of thing. noble fish is what comes to mind or merfolk. these use null rod/stony silence maybe to hate out artifact mana
bazaar combo: this is pretty much dredge but you could worldgorger too
ritual combo: the perfect storm or any other stereotypical turn one blow-your-load combo
workshops decks: this is the hate half of hatebears, combos a billion artifact lock pieces with some lodestone golems or forgemaster into blightsteel or whatever

e: http://www.themanadrain.com has some deck discussion and mtgtop8 has lists for vintage now

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
yeah if we did leagues it would be like month rounds or something not weeks. i think the savings would be if you're there one week of the month you can jam all your games then.

i'm on the swiss side of things because it keeps the pace up. it would also be cool if we could set up a feature match each round and get some commentary on it/stream it.

leagues would look like you'd play X best of 3s each month, get points based on your performance. extra matches would net you tiebreaker points but not real points. we'd play however many months and then the top 8 would go to playoffs.

i'm googling around to see if there's a tool to manage that which would probably hammer down some details, i don't want to try to run a league by hand.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
you guys are of course welcome to but you don't need to post decklists i'll put up an official tourney thread to post those in closer to tourney start!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
cool looks like we've def got enough

i'll prob post the thread to officially sign up next week so we can get this poo poo rolling

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

I know. It is a really undiverse meta for some reason these first few weeks, but I'd bet it'll open up more in these weeks between Gifts and FRF.

a bunch of players going to the PT and the format getting the shakeup w/ cruise restricted and gifts unrestricted made them pretty conservative i think

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
blue belcher is way cooler than legacy belcher i hereby grant anyone who makes fun of blue belcher a dq

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
belcher players are fair game though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
if people want to test stuff out for this i'm usually trollin #mtgoon on synirc for vintage/legacy games

• Locked thread