Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I think the most important message to take away from Zardoz was that it was basically a warning against Utopian societies, and the dangers of overpopulation, war, and resource consumption. All of the deeper readings of the movies social commentary tie into the dangers of Utopian societies and how they can only ever really benefit a small group of people. The story 1984, which the movies marketing references, is a good example of a Utopian society and corrects us on what we think a Utopian society really is, it's a perfect society so long as you are a government official, but for everyone else it's a distopia. Similar idea in Zardoz, but instead of censorship and control, it's immortality. Very interesting take on Utopia's, I liked that the most.

Zardoz is part of a long line of "escape from Paradise" films: THX-1138, Equilibrium, Brave New World, etc. They're mostly meant to underline the fundamental importance of the "human condition" in making life worthwhile. A lack of suffering and death leads to stagnation, and, ultimately, nihilism (represented by the Eternals who do nothing but stand perfectly still forever). There's also a shitload of obvious class imagery to pick apart: the Eternals arm their own private militia in order to gather food so that they can sit around and navel gaze all day, and only the destruction of their society (represented in the Tabernacle) puts a stop to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ZenMaster posted:

The children... :gonk:

I have never seen THX-1138, and now I really want to.

THX-1138 is easily Lucas' best work. It's consumerist society stripped naked of every symbolic covering. The dystopian atmosphere aligns more with Brazil than 1984, where life is a pointless cobweb of bureaucratic rules and arbitrary actions.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 26, 2015

• Locked thread