Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Never seen this movie, but I might need to now.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So I just went and watched this, and it was a real good movie. The part about Authur at the beginning and how he explains the story and who he is was interesting to me. It was real clever when it was then revealed what he based his inspiration of Zardoz on. I also liked how the immortal humans are living in this utopia but there is this conflict between its citizens about that utopia. For some of them it's a distopia because they are immortal. There was a lot of interesting commentary about sex as well, the way Zed views sex, and how the immortal humans view it and can't have sex because of their immortality. The overall plot is easy to get, but you can tell there are a lot of complex messages about society and what it means to be human that is being talked about in this movie. There are a lot of layers to this that would require a few watches and a lot of additional reading on the side to understand it all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

The plot of Zardoz is simple.

The story of how Zardoz was a movie that actually got made, however, will never be known.

There are some neat facts on IMDB.com. Some of the filming happened around the directors own home, and there were a lot of issues with filming the movie in Ireland due to the political climate at the time and terrorism. The large use of guns in the movie was a huge issue with the government. Sean Connery also got the role because he couldn't find work anywhere else. He was a very cheap hire despite his popularity after doing the bond films.

Can't stop thinking about this movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think the most important message to take away from Zardoz was that it was basically a warning against Utopian societies, and the dangers of overpopulation, war, and resource consumption. All of the deeper readings of the movies social commentary tie into the dangers of Utopian societies and how they can only ever really benefit a small group of people. The story 1984, which the movies marketing references, is a good example of a Utopian society and corrects us on what we think a Utopian society really is, it's a perfect society so long as you are a government official, but for everyone else it's a distopia. Similar idea in Zardoz, but instead of censorship and control, it's immortality. Very interesting take on Utopia's, I liked that the most.

Ooh no, that's not my drawing. I was looking for more Zardoz stuff on the internet, and came across this and it was hilarious to me.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 25, 2015

• Locked thread