Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

TwoQuestions posted:

And if so, why? What policies and costs are justified to keep people alive (housed, fed, free from pollution)?

If not, what laws are justified? Do we , as another poster put it: "live in a barbaric anarchy where the strong do what they will and the weak do what they must"?

I've been grappling with this for years trying to justify why we take from some to provide for others, and aside from religious arguments I can't find a good reason why people have an inviolable right to live. What's it to you that someone else gets hurt?

There are no inherent rights, but most elements of modern survival are a result of social behavior. You were "kept alive" by your parents, who may very well have been financially or personally better off had they drowned you in a river. For some reason, be it personal happiness or perhaps the feeling of a social obligation, you were raised by someone, kept alive by someone long enough to eventually fend for yourself. You might claim here that people who are old enough to be adults but can't fend for themselves ought to be left behind by society, to die or forage or fight for survival. That is not only barbaric and cruel, but creates instability in society through crime. The impetus of survival in almost every human being will force those left behind to act. At that point, not only does a society weaken itself by having to devote resources to stopping them, but they've also made enemies out people who could have been friends. Made potentially useful people antagonistic.

Right there you have a societal incentive to maintain the life of a stranger who can't maintain their own. Social stability created by the personal stability of society's members.

For a more personal take, you might consider how you'd like society to react if you were put in a situation where you could no longer support yourself, either through accidental loss of ability (maybe a freak accident makes you a paraplegic), or perhaps the malice of others (perhaps the capital class steadily lowers or stagnates your wages out of greed such that your "productive value" eventually can't pay your rent or buy your food). Self-interest and that desire to survive dictates that a sane person would want society to keep them alive when they can't do so themselves, and since all human beings are vulnerable to disease, accident, and villainy, the only sure way to prevent yourself from being left behind is to make sure no one gets left behind.

Not sure how old you are OP, but you might look into some entry level political philosophy to get a hold on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Positive rights can be turned into negative ones by the simple sleight of hand that I just made: welfare doesn't act on a positive right to necessities; it acts on a negative right whereby rich people can't absorb so much production that those at bottom are deprived of necessities.

Consider for instance a hypothetical right to live.

If it's phrased as a negative right it is, straight-forwardly, the right of a person to not have their life taken. To respect that right people don't have to do anything. They merely have the obligation to refrain from killing someone, which presumaby is not an undue burden, and a person's right not to be killed generally doesn't interfere with another person's right not to be killed.

If it's phrased as a positive right it's very different - it's the right to be kept alive. But to respect that right means what? Others have the obligation to keep the person alive? There are over 7 billion people on the planet - do they have an equal obligation to each person alive? Are they obligated to donate all their resources above subsistance level to terminal cancer patients who can't afford treatment? What if there are also burn victims who need funding? What if it's unclear that an act of support is actually going to keep someone alive - if for instance it might just make their lives a little more pleasant or permit them to hustle less to provide for themselves - are they violating someone's right to be kept alive if they decide to devote resources to bettering themselves and their family?

The positive right is a mess. Morally, and legally, it puts people and society in an impossible situation. It puts you personally in an impossible situation. Do you lead a non-subsistence existence? Why are YOU ignoring that underfunded homeless shelter? For that matter why are YOU ignoring the millions of people out of your sight who will legit die of starvation while you dine on Hot Pockets and Mountain Dew? If people have a positive right to life surely the obligation to support that doesn't fall only on the people you've decided are rich enough to have to bear it. That would really be some arbitrary poo poo.

Word play can't alleviate the problems with positive rights.

Heavy neutrino posted:

How do you make that distinction? Why is it not deprivation to arrogate to yourself more wealth than you need for a decent existence while others starve on the streets? Why is it not gross negligence? If you run someone over

That is the difference. If not for your negligent action upon that person, that person would not have died. You drove the car. You hit the person. You violated their right not to be deprived of life.

In the case of you being pretty well off and some unspecified person starving somewhere else, you had no relation to that person or interaction with that person, they weren't in your care, and they died of something unrelated to anything you did, just like the millions of other people whose deaths you had no hand in whatsoever.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Helsing posted:

If you want to argue for the rule of the strong then just come out and say it instead of trying to re-litigate these tired old arguments about positive vs. negative rights. If you have extra food but don't have any kind of positive obligation feed a starving person then I don't see how you can actually believe that they have any kind of meaningful obligation to not take food from you. I am 100% that if you were being denied food that you needed to live then you'd take whatever necessary steps to gain that food regardless of the negative or positive rights you had to violate, so as far as I can tell you're advocating a system of rights that you would not actually follow when push came to shove.

Dude it's like you're having a conversation with yourself. =/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
For this conversation you have to define "right," and that's .. . not easy.

The best definition I've seen is that a "Right to" is just a way of saying "we all agree that this is the right (thing) to (do)." Example: musicians have a "right to" copyright because they wrote the song. I have a "right to" own my house because I've paid money for it to other people who had a "right to" it and they paid money and so forth going right back to the original European immigrant who came over here, kicked out or killed all the native americans that smallpox hadn't already taken care of, and staked his claim. Your grandfather has a "right to" his Social Security check because he paid into the system for decades and that was the deal. Do lobbyists have the "right to" own our political system? . . .

So do we all agree that we should try to make sure, at minimum, that everyone in our society doesn't die of starvation or due to lack of basic necessities like shelter and clothing? Ok then. If so, then the "right (thing) to (do)" is to fund nationalized health care, i.e., people have a "right to" health care.

wateroverfire posted:

In the case of you being pretty well off and some unspecified person starving somewhere else, you had no relation to that person or interaction with that person, they weren't in your care, and they died of something unrelated to anything you did, just like the millions of other people whose deaths you had no hand in whatsoever.

quote:

No man is an Iland, intire of itselfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Manor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 2, 2015

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

Consider for instance a hypothetical right to live.

If it's phrased as a negative right it is, straight-forwardly, the right of a person to not have their life taken. To respect that right people don't have to do anything. They merely have the obligation to refrain from killing someone, which presumaby is not an undue burden, and a person's right not to be killed generally doesn't interfere with another person's right not to be killed.

If it's phrased as a positive right it's very different - it's the right to be kept alive. But to respect that right means what? Others have the obligation to keep the person alive? There are over 7 billion people on the planet - do they have an equal obligation to each person alive? Are they obligated to donate all their resources above subsistance level to terminal cancer patients who can't afford treatment? What if there are also burn victims who need funding? What if it's unclear that an act of support is actually going to keep someone alive - if for instance it might just make their lives a little more pleasant or permit them to hustle less to provide for themselves - are they violating someone's right to be kept alive if they decide to devote resources to bettering themselves and their family?

What does a "right" mean if there is not a corresponding obligation? I reiterate my previous example - if you have a negative right to not be killed but there is no obligation on anyone to enforce or honor that right (by the way this more or less accurately reflects your rights in the United States), what good is it to say you have such a right? How does it differ from a world where such right does not exist? You are right back to the strong doing as they please and the weak accepting what they must.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

What does a "right" mean if there is not a corresponding obligation? I reiterate my previous example - if you have a negative right to not be killed but there is no obligation on anyone to enforce or honor that right (by the way this more or less accurately reflects your rights in the United States), what good is it to say you have such a right? How does it differ from a world where such right does not exist? You are right back to the strong doing as they please and the weak accepting what they must.

The corresponding obligation would be "Don't kill people", right? In a world without a negative right not to be killed presumably that obligation wouldn't exist?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For this conversation you have to define "right," and that's .. . not easy.

I think it's not that defining "right" is hard. It's more that "right" has several meanings (go English!) and we have to pin down the context to avoid getting lost in semantics. One meaning of right is in the sense of "the right thing to do". Another is "a legal or moral entitlement". There are probably others.

Your examples are of legal entitlements people have for various reasons - a musician has copyright, a homeowner has a right to their home, your grandfather has a right to his social security check, etc. Those are legal claims to well defined things.

A "right" to health care, for instance, is a different beast. How much health care? Who is obligated to provide it? At whose expense? Everything about it is indeterminate. We might state as a matter of principle that everyone should have access to healthcare, and that would be a "right" in the sense of "the right thing to do". But that's very different from saying people have a specific legal or moral entitlement to healthcare in general.

It's the difference between Ernest Hemmingway writing poeticly about the human condition that we are all connected and violence against one diminishes us all and Ernest Hemmingway suggesting he should be held personally, legally responsible for civilian deaths during WWI.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

The corresponding obligation would be "Don't kill people", right? In a world without a negative right not to be killed presumably that obligation wouldn't exist?

I think it's not that defining "right" is hard. It's more that "right" has several meanings (go English!) and we have to pin down the context to avoid getting lost in semantics. One meaning of right is in the sense of "the right thing to do". Another is "a legal or moral entitlement". There are probably others.

Your examples are of legal entitlements people have for various reasons - a musician has copyright, a homeowner has a right to their home, your grandfather has a right to his social security check, etc. Those are legal claims to well defined things.

A "right" to health care, for instance, is a different beast. How much health care? Who is obligated to provide it? At whose expense? Everything about it is indeterminate. We might state as a matter of principle that everyone should have access to healthcare, and that would be a "right" in the sense of "the right thing to do". But that's very different from saying people have a specific legal or moral entitlement to healthcare in general.

It's the difference between Ernest Hemmingway writing poeticly about the human condition that we are all connected and violence against one diminishes us all and Ernest Hemmingway suggesting he should be held personally, legally responsible for civilian deaths during WWI.

How about negligence? Doesn't the "negative right" imply an obligation to avoid killing people through negligent behavior, and if not, why?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

What is an obligation with no way to "oblige" it? We call those "suggestions".

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Effectronica posted:

How about negligence? Doesn't the "negative right" imply an obligation to avoid killing people through negligent behavior, and if not, why?

"Don't do things you should reasonably expect will get somebody killed" seems like an obligation that would fall under a negative right not to be killed.

"things you reasonably expect will get somebody killed" probably doesn't encompass "being too rich" or "not giving your money away to more needy people" or etc, though.

What did you have in mind when mentioning negligence?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

"Don't do things you should reasonably expect will get somebody killed" seems like an obligation that would fall under a negative right not to be killed.

"things you reasonably expect will get somebody killed" probably doesn't encompass "being too rich" or "not giving your money away to more needy people" or etc, though.

What did you have in mind when mentioning negligence?

Okay. So let's say, for example, that you have a pool. Does the right to life imply an obligation to keep your pool secure against children drowning in it?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

What is an obligation with no way to "oblige" it? We call those "suggestions".

I'm kind of confused. We're discussing the philosophical question of whether people have an inherent right to life, right? I'm not getting how "how we enforce a right not to get killed / right to life" is within the scope of that discussion.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

I'm kind of confused. We're discussing the philosophical question of whether people have an inherent right to life, right? I'm not getting how "how we enforce a right not to get killed / right to life" is within the scope of that discussion.

If you have a "negative right" not to be killed but there are no corresponding "positive rights" enforcing it, it's meaningless.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Okay. So let's say, for example, that you have a pool. Does the right to life imply an obligation to keep your pool secure against children drowning in it?

Why would the right not to be killed imply that?

I mean, I'm not saying it's not a good thing to do or that other obligations wouldn't carry a person in that direction, but I'm not seeing how someone's right not to have their life taken would get invoked unless, idk, your pool is actually in the middle of the street and camoflaged to look like solid pavement. Then it would imply an obligation not to do things you reasonably think are going to get someone killed.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

If you have a "negative right" not to be killed but there are no corresponding "positive rights" enforcing it, it's meaningless.

Can you explain that? I'm not following you. What would the positive right be and why is it necessary?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

I mean, I'm not saying it's not a good thing to do or that other obligations wouldn't carry a person in that direction, but I'm not seeing how someone's right not to have their life taken would get invoked unless, idk, your pool is actually in the middle of the street and camoflaged to look like solid pavement. Then it would imply an obligation not to do things you reasonably think are going to get someone killed.

Okay. So the right to life does not imply taking actions to ensure that people won't be killed unintentionally. Is it okay to seed the sidewalk up to my door with poisoned caltrops? It's not like people have to walk up there...

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Okay. So the right to life does not imply taking actions to ensure that people won't be killed unintentionally. Is it okay to seed the sidewalk up to my door with poisoned caltrops? It's not like people have to walk up there...

wateroverfire posted:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

Can you explain that? I'm not following you. What would the positive right be and why is it necessary?

To be meaningful a negative right creates a corresponding positive right: the enforcement of that negative right from infringement. Otherwise the negative right could be infringed by anyone at any time. In which case what is a "right" and how can you have it, if it can be taken from you by anyone at any time without consequence?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

To be meaningful a negative right creates a corresponding positive right: the enforcement of that negative right from infringement. Otherwise the negative right could be infringed by anyone at any time.

So something like "You have a right to have your death investigated?"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Reasonably, if I have a pool, and no way to isolate it, and there are small children who live nearby, the chances that one of them is going to die are unacceptable. Therefore, if I am a decent human being, unlike yourself, I have an obligation to fence off and lock my pool, or put a firm cover on it, or in some way make sure that someone doesn't drown because of my pool.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

So something like "You have a right to have your death investigated?"

That would be a positive right, wouldn't it?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Reasonably, if I have a pool, and no way to isolate it, and there are small children who live nearby, the chances that one of them is going to die are unacceptable. Therefore, if I am a decent human being, unlike yourself, I have an obligation to fence off and lock my pool, or put a firm cover on it, or in some way make sure that someone doesn't drown because of my pool.

Meh?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

So how many toddlers have you killed and blamed it on their stupidity?

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

So since you've outed yourself as a supporter of eugenics what makes you think that you have good DNA that someone won't decide needs to be cleared from the gene pool?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

It's not meaningless; the Right to Life exists even if people don't acknowledge it or abide by it. Would you agree with Nazis when they said that Jehova's Witnesses didn't have a right to life? There was nobody to protect it.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

That would be a positive right, wouldn't it?

It would!

I'm not sure in what sense a dead person would have rights in that sense. I mean, you're dead. Nothing that happens after that can really be for your benefit, can it?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

OwlBot 2000 posted:

It's not meaningless; the Right to Life exists even if people don't acknowledge it or abide by it. Would you agree with Nazis when they said that Jehova's Witnesses didn't have a right to life? There was nobody to protect it.

I don't think God, or the Realm of Forms, or the "right to life" is or ever was real. How, then, can I condemn the Nazis, you ask? You'll have to wait for my book.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

It would!

I'm not sure in what sense a dead person would have rights in that sense. I mean, you're dead. Nothing that happens after that can really be for your benefit, can it?

You're the one telling me rights exist independent of their enforcement or recognition, so it's up to you to decide. But I don't get the feeling you're engaging my argument very seriously. That is: any allegedly "negative" right necessarily contains a corresponding positive right in order to have any effect on society.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

So since you've outed yourself as a supporter of eugenics what makes you think that you have good DNA that someone won't decide needs to be cleared from the gene pool?

Someone dying by falling into a pool with no assistance whatsoever - eugenics.

I haven't fallen in a pool and died so idk I guess that makes me some kind of superman.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

I haven't fallen in a pool and died so idk I guess that makes me some kind of superman.

A toddler drinking bleach in your presence would merit only a laugh, wouldn't it? It's okay. This is a safe space here.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

wateroverfire posted:

You responded to a question about whose responsibility it was if a toddler drowns in an unprotected pool by linking to the Darwin Awards, carrying the implication that the toddler drowned because it had bad genes and therefore its a good thing it died.

This makes you look like a psychopath.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

You're the one telling me rights exist independent of their enforcement or recognition, so it's up to you to decide. But I don't get the feeling you're engaging my argument very seriously. That is: any allegedly "negative" right necessarily contains a corresponding positive right in order to have any effect on society.

To directly engage with that point - no, I don't think that's right. As a practical matter there is far less enforcement capacity than you'd need to enforce, for instance, a right not to be killed, if people weren't morally wired not to kill to begin with. How many cops are there in a city like New York? If people were mostly down with killing other people the whole system would collapse. Clearly our moral framework - that is, things we consider basic rights - influences society independant of how those rights are enforced. Society can also have an interest in enforcement that is independant of the rights of the victim, so enforcement can happen absent a person's formal right to enforcement. That's how it can happen that two parties to a fist fight can get charged in some juristictions whether they want to press charges or not, for instance.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

You responded to a question about whose responsibility it was if a toddler drowns in an unprotected pool by linking to the Darwin Awards, carrying the implication that the toddler drowned because it had bad genes and therefore its a good thing it died.

This makes you look like a psychopath.

Meh, again? When I commented that you should probably secure your pool for other reasons but right to not be killed doesn't really enter into it Effectronica started talking about scattering poisoned caltrops on the sidewalk. At that point there didn't seem to be a reason to keep being serious.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Effectronica posted:

A toddler drinking bleach in your presence would merit only a laugh, wouldn't it? It's okay. This is a safe space here.

IDK. Whose child is it? That's an important question.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

Meh, again? When I commented that you should probably secure your pool for other reasons but right to not be killed doesn't really enter into it Effectronica started talking about scattering poisoned caltrops on the sidewalk. At that point there didn't seem to be a reason to keep being serious.

There's really no difference between the two from the standpoint you're using. If people aren't willing to look where they're walking, well, gently caress 'em, just like anybody who falls into a pool and drowns can get hosed. The formulation of "Well you have no obligations to do things" falls apart when we prod it and look at, well, externalities.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Effectronica posted:

There's really no difference between the two from the standpoint you're using. If people aren't willing to look where they're walking, well, gently caress 'em, just like anybody who falls into a pool and drowns can get hosed. The formulation of "Well you have no obligations to do things" falls apart when we prod it and look at, well, externalities.

There's a world of difference between intentionally spreading deadly hazards on the sidewalk, where people are expected to be walking and unaware of the danger of poisoned loving caltrops, and having a pool on your property, where people are not expected to be walking and further where they are expected to be aware of the big rear end pool.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

There's a world of difference between intentionally spreading deadly hazards on the sidewalk, where people are expected to be walking and unaware of the danger of poisoned loving caltrops, and having a pool on your property, where people are not expected to be walking and further where they are expected to be aware of the big rear end pool.

Actually, I was talking about spreading them on MY PROPERTY, so I'm glad that you agree it's okay. Cheerio!

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Actually, I was talking about spreading them on MY PROPERTY, so I'm glad that you agree it's okay. Cheerio!

Why are you spreading poisoned caltrops to begin with? Maybe work from there.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

Why are you spreading poisoned caltrops to begin with? Maybe work from there.

Okay, for the sake of this hypothetical, I am doing it for no reason at all.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Okay, for the sake of this hypothetical, I am doing it for no reason at all.

You're spreading poisoned caltrops - lethal weapons designed to kill the unwary - for no reason at all?

edit: Is that what you'd plan to tell the judge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

You're spreading poisoned caltrops - lethal weapons designed to kill the unwary - for no reason at all?

edit: Is that what you'd plan to tell the judge?

Yes, for no reason at all. What's wrong with it, ethically, since I'm doing it on my property?

• Locked thread