Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The simplest answer is that there are no inherent rights. Every right that we have has been fought for and maintained by force of arms or politics.

The funny thing is that many actors responsible for first securing the rights we have today did believe that humans had inherent rights and were fighting to create or return some sort of Platonic order, and things like, say emancipation or the declaration of the rights of women were motivated by people believing in inalienable rights.

Even though I can't see any proof of inherent rights it's probably not a good idea to question the concept too deeply, since widespread belief that a right (ie to life) is inherent may be real loving important for its maintenance. :anime:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

blowfish posted:

no they don't

the absence of inherent rights doesn't mean you should go kill people, hth

Exactly. Rights are good but they only exist because people believe in them. A lot like santa but instead of presents you get to not quarter soldiers in your house

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 25, 2015

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

rudatron posted:

I believe all life has value, and I'll kill anyone who says otherwise.

the belief in an inherent right to life leads to that right's defense

what'd i say

• Locked thread