Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Although the phrasing of the OP is pretty repugnant, I have often found this question interesting as it pertains directly to a number of debates—welfare, healthcare, abortion, assisted suicide, war, the death penalty, the 2nd amendment, police brutality, etc. A lot of people feel like they hold a "human life is more valuable than anything else" mentality, but that almost always immediately breaks down once nuanced situations and edge cases start to be introduced. Pretty much nobody thinks that both abortion and war should be outlawed, for instance. But both ostensibly deal with the basic immorality of killing, right?

But it feels really awkward to start trying to "justify" when life is and is not valuable, and so you get responses like those above instead.

Personally, I think every human has a duty to make things as good as possible for other people, so "not killing them" almost always falls easily under that subheading. (That duty, in short, stems from the fact that this is the only way for a society to truly advance: an objectivist society, with the opposite viewpoint, would almost immediately revert to the stone age, as people hosed each other over for short term gains). The only circumstances in which a human life is forfeit is 1. if they are threatening the life or livelihood of another, then lethal force can be excused, or 2. if they are terminally ill and would rather die painlessly now than after slow months or years of agony.

But I wouldn't extend this right to fetuses. Feti are fungible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

What about dolphins? What about condors?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Absolutely. It's so they don't take what you have by force. When people have enough, they don't (barring mental stability issues) typically commit violent crimes. It's in your best interest to see to it that your neighbors have enough food, education and shelter.

Not to mention the old canard of "There but for the grace of God". You are not a special snowflake, no matter what you tell yourself. You may feel invincible, but any number of circumstances could come to pass that would bring you low. In a society that protects the least among us, you can rest easier, knowing that they will catch you if you fall. Which will make getting back up that much easier.

Additionally, there is an "all boats rise together" element in play. A better-fed, better-educated, better-empowered proletariat would hypothetically be able to increase the speed of social and scientific progress, as the smart-but-downtrodden are able to actually use their skills. All the money and power in the world won't help you if your subjects are uneducated illiterate waifs barely capable of properly plowing a field, much less developing the next great technology. Contrary to the objectivist's belief, the needs of the many generally also fulfill the needs of the few.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

I guess if you're in some sort of weird edge case where if you don't get those blueberries in the next ninety seconds there is a better than even chance you will die, I might reconsider my stance about stealing.

What's the longest you've ever gone without food? Twelve hours?

Why is death, not agony, the bar that needs to be cleared here?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

A day or two, in a week during which, on the days I did eat, I'd estimate I was subsisting on below 1200 calories. So yes, I'm aware that being hungry really loving sucks.

Because suffering can be alleviated at a future point, but death and maiming are permanent. You're also ignoring the imminent, deliberate and aggressive elements. If a person was using violence to inflict ongoing pain on another, I'd agree that the victim had the right to defend themselves.

OK, so maybe a third of the way to actually starving.

The theft of a loaf of bread can also be alleviated at a future point, and is much less painful for the rightful owner of the bread than starving to death is for the thief. Are you saying that only the danger of permanent injury can justify theft?

• Locked thread